Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Logan goes to Hell. You've heard the title. You've seen the promos. Now find out how Logan's old army buddy John Wraith gets him sent down under. 

The Good   

Aaron's got a unique ear for dialog and it was refreshing to have this story hook you at the beginning with an arresting talk between Logan and Wraith as opposed to, say, a flashy fight. While Guedes does some solid work, it's the combo of Latour and Renzi in the back-up feature that's really turned me my head. I've never seen anything as arresting as their style in a long time. The story in the back-up actually hooked me a lot more than the feature. After this meditative monologue, I'm intrigued to see what the Silver Samurai's possible return entails.

The Bad   

It's a bit of head-scratcher as to why John Wraith never teleports while he's fighting the possessed Wolverine (or whatever the bad guy was.) That's his one-and-only power... you'd figure he'd popping around his foe like a hummingbird. Also, given that there was just a major storyline in X-Men proper that related to a nether world (limbo) I feel like we're double-dipping a bit here, story wise.

The Verdict - 3.5/5  

I'm of two minds about this storyline. On the one hand, it's sizing up to be an interesting companion piece to Wolverine Origins; putting Logan face-to-face with all the ghosts from his past in a very real way. On the other hand, I can't help thinking that Wolverine's going back into Marvel's hell after the X-Men literally just got out of it. And I'll reiterate that art in the back-up feature will take you by surprise. I haven't been this intrigued by art in a short since the first time I encountered Ed McGuinness' art - - which, coincidentally, was in the '96 Wolverine Annual that also featured Silver Samurai. 
    erichr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By erichr

Seems like a decent #1, but i agree with whole returning to hell bit.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Sobe Cin

@ Zach Freeman: The only thing I can think of why Wraith was teleporting was a loss of powers a  la m-day. But if was never affected than you got me there. 

I did enjoy the story, Wolverine isn't a normal title for me- due to the fact that I am not the biggest fan of the surly canadian, but it was a good read. I read the Wolverine: Road to Hell companion piece and it enjoyed it just as much. Tempted to add this title to my already fifteen book comic list that I get every month.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jordanstine

So after Inferiorego's review of the same Wolverine #1, which he gave a 5 out of 5, both reviews basically totals to be a 4.25 out of 5.

Pretty good.

battle36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By battle36

I'm never a big fan of when characters go to hell or time travel that one aggrivtes me. But the worst is alternate dimensions it just lowers the stakes on everything.  

A- "Everything we've ever known has been destroyed and everyone died including us!" 
    B- "It's okay I'll just get out of hell, time travel back in time and find a scientist who can get us to a dimensional rift where this never happened. The End"
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

My buddy at the LCS convinced me to give this a shot and I wasn't disappointed. Its a good read. The entire concept of Wolverine going to hell sounds silly in theory but this issue and #2 were both very well done.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.