Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16078 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Wolverine's Best Battles

• 96 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Source:my blog

Wolverine's Best Battles

He's the best at what he does, and what he does is very bloody. James Howlett has appeared in thousands of comics, and in the pages of those books, we've been treated to countless impressive fights involving the X-Man. Wolverine's decades of dedicated training under some of the best combatants has turned him into one of the most dangerous street level characters in the 616 universe. Having claws that can cut through almost everything and a virtually unbreakable skeleton doesn't hurt his odds, either. His rogues gallery (Sabretooth, Cyber, Lady Deathstrike, etc.) consists of plenty of characters that can give ole' James a fight worth watching, but Logan's A-list status means the Canadian also gets to go toe-to-toe with dozens of familiar faces in the Marvel Universe. Wolverine has been in hundreds of throw downs, but here's a collection of my favorite one-on-one battles with Logan. Did your favorite not make the list? Be sure to share the issue and why it's your favorite.

VS Crossbones, Fear Itself: The Fearless #7

It doesn't matter if you're one of Captain's greatest villains or just a random thug, bullets will never cut it against the runt. The heartless mercenary Crossbones (Brock Rumlow) took on Wolverine and the outcome left a major mess for the janitor to clean up. Crossbones is known for being a tough SOB, so the villain pumps plenty of rounds into Wolverine before even recognizing that his tummy has been sliced open by Wolverine's foot long claws. Instead of making a run for it, Crossbones arrogantly blasts a few more bullets into Logan, but Wolverine's healing factor and adamantium is too much for the thug to overcome. James slices Crossbones's gun apart and then, without any remorse for his human enemy, thrusts all six claws through the baddie's chest. Luckily for Brock, Hellstorm conveniently shows up and burns Wolverine. A small dose of magic later and Crossbones is back to full health, but the emotional scar of getting his ass handed to him by Logan has to hurt.

VS Silver Samurai, Uncanny X-Men #273
    Wolverine and Kenuichio Harada go way back. Despite slashing and stabbing each other apart, they hold a mutual level of respect for each other. Harada's power lets his blade cut through virtually anything, but luckily for Wolverine, that katana isn't putting a dent on his adamantium and even when Harada lands a killing blow or two, Logan's healing factor gives him quite the unfair advantage. This 3 page fight in Uncanny simply rocks. Both land plenty of brutal strikes before Wolverine breaks Harada's arm and has him at his mercy.

VS Omega Red, X-Men #5
    There's no shame in losing to Omega Red (Arkady Rossovich). The guy's death spores can kill a person in mere moments and his carbonadium armor and coils make him an absolute pain. But Wolverine spits in the face of impossible odds. Despite being outclassed by Arkady, Logan makes it a fight worth remembering. The Canadian dukes it out nonstop with the Russian super soldier for nearly 18 hours before finally going down for the count. James eventually gets his revenge, though. A few years ago the runt baseball tossed the m-blade (a sword that negates healing factors) right into Omega Red's heart, allegedly killing the '90s villain.
    VS Hulk, The Incredible Hulk #340
    Hulk and Wolverine have a long and blood soaked history, but one battle stands out from the rest. Believe it or not, Wolverine actually tried to avoid this legendary battle at first. Hulk kept egging him on and one thunderclap later, it was time for the warrior's waltz. Todd McFarlane's work makes this classic battle in the woods a gritty visual delight. Wolverine draws first blood on the grey brute and even takes him down with a horrific stab clean into Hulk's chest. But Logan's not the only one with a healing factor and the two rush back into their dance of death. Wolverine's internal thoughts in the captions add a nice layer of depth (dealing with man vs beast, the pain in his body and all that jazz) to this must read Hulk vs Wolverine battle.
    VS Sabretooth, Uncanny X-Men #213
    If I could only read one Sabretooth (Victor Creed) and Wolverine fight, this brutal mesh of claws and stabs at the X-Mansion would be my pick. Victor humiliates Rogue and Psylocke before making his way to the main event: Wolverine. What happens next is one of the most epic stalemates in comic history. The two go blow for blow as they duke it out across the rooftops, plummet into the pool, and continue their absurdly violent bout to the cliff-side. Both bruised and bloodied, Sabretooth tries to escape the X-Men by diving off the ledge, but Wolverine quickly follows and grapples him before the two crash into the waves below. In true villain fashion, Sabretooth manages to escape.
    VS Deadpool, Cable & Deadpool #44
    The merc with a mouth has had a handful of solid encounters with Logan, but their sword vs claws round at a HYDRA base is my pick. This 3 page fight is fairly short but it's damn sweet. It gives both characters proper credit as they display just how skilled they are with their respective weapons, but ultimately, those two blades can't compete with Wolverine's six adamantium claws and they end up skewering Wade to a wall. The comedic banter from a Fabian Nicieza written Deadpool (Wade Wilson) is always a joy, too. Oh, and then there's Bob, Agent of HYDRA and Weasel in the issue. Rejoice, Deadpool fans!
    VS Captain America, Wolverine: Origins #4
    Seeing the American super soldier and Weapon X project duke it out is a fanboy overload for many. Despite their popularity, these two fan favorites have only had a handful of fairly short fights, but their battle in Daniel Way's comic overshadows the other fights these two have had. Lasting multiple pages, the two A-listers inflict cringe worthy injuries on each other (Cap not letting Wolverine's claws properly retract, a potentially fatal injury on Cap's leg) and Cap even slashes Wolverine across the chest with the m-blade. A legless Nuke (shortened courtesy of Wolverine's claws) and the X-Men eventually interfere, but this melee is mandatory reading.
    VS Spider-Man,Spider-Man versus Wolverine#1
    The wall crawler is faster and stronger than Wolverine, but that didn't matter much in this comic. Wolverine's confidence and flurry of claws made Spider-Man question his own abilities and even his own speed. However, the reason this throw down happens is the true gem of the comic. Wolverine is going to kill Charlie, a woman he cares deeply for. She's on the run from just about every government on Earth, and Logan was going to give her a painless end instead of torture from the KGB. But Spider-Man and his heart of gold step in and stop Wolverine before he can end Charlie's suffering. Spider-Man bashes Wolverine's face over and over into a tombstone, but he says the only thing the brutal strikes did was make Logan smile. They end in a draw, with Spider-Man's hands gripped around Logan's throat, ready to snap his neck, and Wolverine's fist under Spidey's chin, prepared to pop his claws. A helicopter shines a light on them, and in the confusion of the chaos Spider-Man throws a blind strike when he thinks Wolverine is behind him and ready for more. Yet it wasn't Wolverine, it was Charlie. Spider-Man ends up killing the very woman he just fought to save. Oh, irony.
    VS Sabretooth, Wolverine #301
    It looks like Sabretooth has returned from the dead just so he can get his ass kicked all over again... and I must say this is a jaw droppingly good ass kicking. Seriously, it doesn't get much better than this. I'll let the page speak for itself. Click that image and enjoy just how awesome this victory truly is.
    ***Who would you like to see next for the "best battles" segment- Spider-Man or Hulk? Vote here or on one of my social media pages***
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ReVamp
    1. Crossbones fanboy =P
    2. Origins sux.
    3. Their fight in 301 was Okay, but could have been better. Felt kinda like an After thought.

Spidey vs Hulk

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I love how I see Daredevil all over this place -_-

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Supreme Marvel: I like the fight in Enemy of the State, but it's not a personal favorite for Wolverine.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@k4tzm4n: I meant the same type of thread for Daredevil

-_-

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Supreme Marvel: He'll get one eventually. This is only my second character used in the segment. Last time I checked, Marvel and DC have quite a few characters ;)

@ReVamp said:

1. Crossbones fanboy =P
    2. Origins sux.
    3. Their fight in 301 was Okay, but could have been better. Felt kinda like an After thought.

Spidey vs Hulk

1) If I was a true fanboy I'd leave out the part about Wolverine impaling him, LOL.

2) No comment.

3) Whaaaaaaaaaat?! That's the most certified, grade-A WTFOWNAGE I've seen in awhile. And I say that as someone who loves Creed, lol.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp said:

1. Crossbones fanboy =P
    2. Origins sux.

Spidey vs Hulk

1) If I was a true fanboy I'd leave out the part about Wolverine impaling him, LOL.

2) No comment.

3) Whaaaaaaaaaat?! That's the most certified, grade-A WTFOWNAGE I've seen in awhile. And I say that as someone who loves Creed, lol.

1. No. That would mean you're stupid. Its not proof you're not a fanboy. Muahaha.
    2. Well, to be fair, I only read something like 8 issues (not chronological btw) but firstly the art made me cringe and secondly I found the whole idea of Romulus manipulating every aspect of his life so incredibly stupid. If that's what it is, I'm not sure.
    3. Yeah, that's the problem. It didn't live up to their "long awaited rematch", it felt like an afterthought.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@k4tzm4n said:

@Supreme Marvel: Last time I checked, Marvel and DC have quite a few characters ;)

No Caption Provided

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp:

1) Just enjoy the violence, foo!

2) Yeah, Steve Dilion's art is hit or miss for many. I'm personally not a fan. I find that faces tend to look too similar and motion feels a bit stiff at times. My reading of Wolverine: Origins was mixed, I never read it in its entirety.

3) Oh, well in that regard I definitely agree. It's by no means an epic rematch or anything. It's just a horrible stomp.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Supreme Marvel: It's surprising, I know. I think they both have 10, maybe 15 characters. It's overwhelming.

Anyway, do you guys have a favorite on the list? If not, what is yours?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n:

1. I am. And I'm getting perversely amused by pointing fingers.
    2. Fair enough.
    3. EXACTLY. Dafuq? At least I still have the new Silver Surfer, lets hope dem mofoes don't feck that boy up. Though his portrayal as a villain did feel somewhat forced.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

See above question.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Supreme Marvel

The battle with Deadpool looked good.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    I'm surprised Wolverine vs Sabretooth in Wolverine # 90 didn't make it.
    Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Ferro Vida

Is it bad that I want to see you do one of these for Daredevil? The article looks great, K4tz

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I'm sorry I can't the the fight with Crossbones seriously.Agreed on the others though, nice article.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Morpheus_ said:

I'm surprised Wolverine vs Sabretooth in Wolverine # 90 didn't make it.

I like that fight, but I wanted to only pick one Creed fight, and their X-Mansion battle in "Mutant Massacre" was something I've always loved. Look at the one page of sheer ownage in 301 as a bonus addition, lol. What would your list be?

@Ferro Vida said:

Is it bad that I want to see you do one of these for Daredevil? The article looks great, K4tz

Not at all! I will eventually, though.

@Vance Astro said:

I'm sorry I can't the the fight with Crossbones seriously.Agreed on the others though, nice article.

I'm obviously biased due to my love for Brock, but I adore the art and the raw brutality/violence of the fight. I adore that huge panel of Wolverine stabbing Brock. And thanks.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @k4tzm4n: I haven't thought of one, but I'd probably add the Death vs Hulk from Logan's time as a Horseman of Apocalypse. I agree the fight in Uncanny is better than the one in # 90, but I had seen you citing the latter a few times and thought it'd make the cut. 

In coherence with seeing the words "Daredevil" and "Brock", I can't help but think that Daredevil vs Venom should be in Daredevil's 
    segment .
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Morpheus_: Ugh, I can't say Daredevil dancing around Venom came to my mind instantly, but during my research odds are I'd decide to include it... You know, in spite of me disagreeing with Venom seemingly being too slow to tag Murdock.

I might have Daredevil next week since there seems to be support for that and a complete lack of votes in regards to Spider-Man or Hulk.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@k4tzm4n said:

I might have Daredevil next week since there seems to be support for that and a complete lack of votes in regards to Spider-Man or Hulk.

weaponx25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By weaponx25
    No Caption Provided

@Supreme Marvel:

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Supreme Marvel: LOL!

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By weaponxx

Very nice list.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@weaponx: Thanks!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: @Supreme Marvel: @Vance Astro: @Ferro Vida: What Wolverine fights would you guys have included?

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By JairamGanpat

@k4tzm4n: You're being ignored lol

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@JairamGanpat: I typed that 11 minutes ago and I don't even think they're online. So....yeah...

But thanks for reminding me that no one likes me. *runs away crying*

But back on track, any remarks on the actual topic at hand: Wolverine's battles?

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n: Looking forward to it :D 

I'm kinda fond of the Wolverine vs. Omega Red fight from Wolverine Origins (the one where he killed OR), and the fight he had with Daken just before ripping the carbonadium out of him. Those stuck with me.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp: @Supreme Marvel: @Vance Astro: @Ferro Vida: What Wolverine fights would you guys have included?

It's a good list.I think I'd just switch Wolverine vs. Crossbones to Wolverine vs. Ogun.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida: Omega Red being owned by jail bars and chains made me want to cry.

Okay, not cry, but it was upsetting.

@Vance Astro: Thanks.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#31  Edited By CATPANEXE

Personal favorite match against Sabretooth was Wolverine #90. I loved that it had page after page of detailed action like an old Turtles comic, and the thing even had to have several fold-out pages just to hold all of it. Plus it ends on a wow. Good and well thought out list.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I liked it in Ultimate X-Men when he left Cyclops for dead in that hole.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n: I know ;)
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@CATPANEXE: Yes, the fold out pages were quite a nice touch. Certainly a standout issue and thanks for reading!

@Supreme Marvel: 616 Universe or bust, sir!

@Ferro Vida: D:

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@k4tzm4n: Well there is that fight one time...wait nope...what about when he...wait, no no...ah, that time when he, no no.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n: I see how for a fan it would be rage-inducing. But at the time I didn't know a lot about OR. And based on what I did know that fight was just plain badass.
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#37  Edited By TDK_1997

Yes.They are all great but the one against Daredevil in Enemy of the State was top notch,too.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida said:

@k4tzm4n: I see how for a fan it would be rage-inducing. But at the time I didn't know a lot about OR. And based on what I did know that fight was just plain badass.

A baton toss from DD to his chin didn't faze him and he can take strikes from Colossus. But chain whips? GAME OVER, MAN! :D

@Supreme Marvel: lol.

@TDK_1997: Yes, it was a good fight. Not very flattering for Wolverine, though ;)

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#39  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Cyclops vs Wolverine Schism 5 fight >:D. I admit, as wacky and bad as that fight was written and the entire event was, it was pretty cool.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@god_spawn: I actually considered adding that, but I took it off because I would have felt fake including it, seeing as I never actually read Schism.

What else would you add or do you have a personal favorite? I know you're a big Logan fan... or at least you seem like it, lol.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ReVamp

I'd have included that one fight with Magneto. It was pretty even and whatnot.

@god_spawn said:

Cyclops vs Wolverine Schism 5 fight >:D. I admit, as wacky and bad as that fight was written and the entire event was, it was pretty cool.

...That whole fight had the stupidest context possibly ever created in comics.

• Cyclops: Oh look, giant sentinel going to kill us. Kidz help us.
    • Wolverine: NAWHZ. NAW KEDZ.
    • Cyclops: Yes. The kidz be mature and shiet.
    • Wolverine: NAWHZ. NAW KEDZ.
    • Cyclops: What'd you say you dumbass? Even though there's a fcking giant sentinel about to hit us, I think we should fight, because its not like our lives are endangered and the whole point of the argument was the the fcking sentinel that's about to come here is much more powerful than the other ones.
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By Deranged Midget

Awesome post! Out of the ones you listed, the best battle was Logan vs Silver Samurai.

My personal favourite has to be Wolverine vs Mystique.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp:

LOL

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ReVamp

You deny the truth? And if we can include that one from Ultimatum, then that'd definitely go there too. Nothing like two even fights for an amazing blog.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n said:

@Ferro Vida said:

A baton toss from DD to his chin didn't faze him and he can take strikes from Colossus. But chain whips? GAME OVER, MAN! :D

@Supreme Marvel: lol.

@TDK_1997: Yes, it was a good fight. Not very flattering for Wolverine, though ;)

The chains are made of the Absorbing Man after he took on the properties of Cyclops' optic blasts. All Eastern European prisons utilize these. Didn't you know?
    Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp:

LOL

Do you mean the first one where Magneto threatened to stab him with his own claws before making him punch himself? Or the other one where he ripped the metal off of Wolverine's bones?
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ReVamp

@Ferro Vida said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp:

LOL

Do you mean the first one where Magneto threatened to stab him with his own claws before making him punch himself? Or the other one where he ripped the metal off of Wolverine's bones?

The latter.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#48  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: I am a big fan lol. And you are better off not reading Schism, it really was stupid. You could probably find a 3 minute video with music of the Cyclops Wolverine fight and it would be better than shelling out 4 bucks for the issue or any more for the entire event.

You do have a few of my faves up already in UXM 273, Cable and Deapool #44 and Spider-Man vs Wolverine # 1. If I had to pick some that weren't up here I'd have to agree with Ferro, his fight with Daken when he ripped the carbonadium out was a good one and a personal fave of mine was his fight with Red Hulk in Hulk # 15. It was somewhat of an underwhelming fight IMO, but I liked how Wolverine went back to his roots sort of and used his skill and speed to dodge around Rulk instead of just tanking a punch to get in close. I have the scans if you want them.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By tensor

How come no one has put up the fight with him against thor

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@god_spawn: Yeah, I avoided the event for a reason ;)

No need for scans, I actually own most of the Rulk stuff. Blinding Rulk FTW! But... Punisher taking on X-23 with a pool stick was pretty laughable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.