'Wolverine' Sequel Delayed

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like 'Wolverine' won't be headed to Japan quite as soon as we had originally anticipated...

We've heard Hugh Jackman hype the upcoming sequel to Wolverine back at the Kids Choice Awards last month, so to hear that production on the film has yet to begin might seem a bit strange. In a recent interview, director Gavin Hood indicated that the studio is very cautious and production on the sequel may depend in part on the success of the 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'  DVD /Blue Ray that was released last week.

"I'm hoping to be shooting something next year, and I don't think that Wolverine will be ready for next year...I haven't been approached one way or another. The studio is obviously very cautious. They want to see how Wolverine does on DVD. Let them develop the script, let's see what the script looks like, let's see how the studio feels about the script, how [star] Hugh [Jackman] feels about it, and then we'll take it from there."

As far as the sequel's plot is concerned, it seems it will more than likely be set in Japan and will highlight the early part of the character's history. The film's producer Lauren Shuler Donner stated that the people behind the film want to keep the story as close to the original as possible; a strange concept considering how greatly they diverted from the character's origins in the first film.

"I think it's our responsibility to remain true to the source material...There are other influences and other factors that make us deviate from it, the first of which being transcribing it to the screen. But we certainly are fully aware of the fan base and try in every way possible to stay close to the source material. I think in Wolverine it was a little bit different because there was a lot of different source material, a lot of different legends in Victor Creed's relationship to Logan, and Logan's background. There were some choices we had to make. Certainly in Wolverine 2, in the Japanese saga, we will stay very close to the source material. I think it's just best that way."

It seems, at least based on that statement, that Donner puts the first film's lack of accuracy and direction on the fact that there are varying origin stories for the character. If this is the case, why not just pick one? I think it is obvious that the people behind the film were looking to monopolize on the number of characters they wanted to use in order to test the waters for launching other 'X-Men' films. What do you guys want to see in sequel?
#1 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1187 posts) - - Show Bio

there not gonna line this up to x-1 are they which is sad cause it is not really a prequell then i guess. i hope Gavin Hood dose not come back he did not do that great a job on Wolvie 1 i hope Bryan Singer or David Hayter returns to do it right. if Bryan Singer did Wolvie 1 i bet we would not have gotten all those errors and plot holes.
#2 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping for indefinite delay.

#3 Posted by inferiorego (25694 posts) - - Show Bio

I still want it. I'm buying the film tomorrow and I'm excited for a sequel. It was a fun summer film.

Staff
#4 Posted by RaptorFratBoy (550 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing is, Marvel did "Origin" as a comic with the main reason being to do so BEFORE a movie had the chance. It's sad to me that, even though it was laid-out RIGHT THERE, the producers failed miserably and chose to cut-and-paste all kinds of different variations, but everything was happening so fast it's not like you could get a grasp on it, anyway. 

Seriously, when the entire Weapon-X Project was condensed into about ten minutes, tops, that was a good sign these people had no idea how to do Wolverine's origin justice. I hope that they've seen some of the feedback, realized their mistakes, and force-feed the sequel's producers a few TPBs with instructions to adapt from them, rather than take what looks cool and write their own filler. 

Being my favorite character, I had very high hopes for "Wolverine", and was totally let-down, enough to where I actually had to think about buying the DVD. I bought "Daredevil" immediately, by the way. They have their work cut-out for them...

#5 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2093 posts) - - Show Bio

I figured they were going to delay it

#6 Posted by RavagingHamster (836 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope they do it right this time. i dont care how long they delay it so long as they dont mess it up
#7 Posted by Adam Michaels (435 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems everytime a new comic film is being planned (whether a first film or a sequel), one of the taglines producers, studios, directors, and actors say is "we're staying true to the comics". It's almost annoying how often they use that sentence. I do believe they said this for the first Wolverine film as well, we all know how close to the "source material" they stuck to. 

I don't mind certain alterations. After all, you don't want to watch what you already read. At least I don't. In the animation series and live-action films, I want them to use the comics material, but change just a few things (maybe to modernize it or make it more contemporary to the times). An example is changing Alicia in the Fantastic Four to an African-American. I'm all for that since it's the 2000s.  

Anyways, the first Wolverine film had quite a few flaws. I believe we can all agree to that. The first one is all the unnecessary characters they used (one being Gambit). Another odd part was making Emma Frost and Silver Fox sisters. I understand trying to find a reason why Silver Fox betrayed Logan to help Stryker, but the sister didn't have to be Frost. It could have been anyone else. And Emma Frost was just another mutant being detained. 

Anyways, I won't turn my back on this film, but I do hope they can make a better and more competent story for the sequel. The Japanese saga is one that is loved among comics fans. Just as everyone loves Weapon X, people love Wolverine's time in Japan. They didn't quite get Weapon X like most wanted, which leaves fans disappointed with the film. People love Deadpool, but people feel they didn't do him justice. People love Gambit, but feel his character was minimized and no given to us right. Same goes for the Japanese saga. People love and cherrish that storyline, and fans don't want another disappointment.

#8 Posted by AirDave817 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie seemed to be all over the road as far as characters. It was a mini-series crammed into a two-hour movie frame. I'm almost wondering why they wouldn't just start with Japan, or at some point and flash back to his origins.    

#9 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the first one was pretty awful. The divergence from Wolverine's origin didn't pay off but was still only a minor problem. The CGI? what happened? why did it look better in the X-Men movies? It looked soooo fake, especially the scene where Logan is examining his new adamantium claws for teh first time in teh mirror, awful. The dialogue was atrocious to the point that I can't believe someone actually wrote it and actors actually read and rehearsed it. I feel bad because I thought the performances were good from almost all of the actors, but they just didn't have anything with which to work. I don't think I even need to mention the Deadpool stuff... 
I can definitely wait for another one of these. They need to get a new director for sure because Gavin Hood is ill-suited for these movies.
#10 Posted by wadey wilson (52 posts) - - Show Bio
@ryanwh:

I think we all were hoping that
#11 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

I can wait..

#12 Posted by MrCipher (276 posts) - - Show Bio
@RaptorFratBoy:
I'm completely confused now. Based on our last conversation, the ratings should indicate the success of a movie and not the fans because not everyone will agree with an individual's opinion. But, based on the last 10 responses to this thread, it seems X-Men Origins Wolverine sucked. It was sub-par in writing and special effects, lacked direction, and the story was butchered or a hodge-podge of badly-fitting origin stories. 

So how can it be that it grossed $365,075,654.00 as of today with only more expected from DVD sales? Maybe it's just these 10 people who found fault with it (including you)?

I can understand appreciating Daredevil (especially the director's cut with the scenees deleted by the producer reworked into the film) but were you satisfied to have an irish Elektra or a black Kingpin? Neither of those characters were originally conceived in that way and in my opinion it seems sacrilege to change their looks so drastically. And I really don't want to begin to offer my opinion on Bullseye and his hot-plate burner head. 
#13 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this film is good. I wonder if Sabretooth will return.
#14 Posted by Dipic (128 posts) - - Show Bio
@ryanwh said:
" I was hoping for indefinite delay. "
+1
#15 Posted by Hellos (8914 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll end up watching the sequel, so whatever :P
#16 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I still want to see Wolverine in Japan & hopefully see Silver Samurai in it as well.
#17 Posted by camodude (193 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm this is going to be great but what i have to say is cant they just call it Wolverine. i mean its not really a sequel the first one was an X-Men Origin: like its its own type of movie franchise. the japanese tale would more likely be a wolverine tale and not a origin.
#18 Edited by Marshall Madness (248 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine Origins sucked. We all know that, whether we want to admit it or not. A slapdash, ill conceived plot that was only very loosely based on the comics was just the start of this movie's problems. I don't think that many people will care that the sequel has stalled.

On another note, it's just ridiculous how hollywood continues to F it up all the time. YOU HAVE THE SCRIPT RIGHT THERE!!!! JUST LIFT IT OFF THE PAGE!!!! If they hadn't been so damn overeager they would have 3 movies just laid right out for them. Origin, Weapon X, Wolverine. Boom, done, everyone is happy.  But no. Surely the audience is too dumb to sit through a whole movie without the adamantium or other X characters!!!! Jeez, it's like they don't have any faith in the source material. And if that's true, why make the film to begin with. If you refuse to give characters and a plot time to develop, don't complain when people find your characters uninteresting or think your movie sucked. So no wonder you sequel is stalled. Oh, who cares? WE"LL JUST RE-BOOT! (sigh.)

#19 Posted by Pheeke (198 posts) - - Show Bio

wow there is a god!  
hopefully it doesn`t come out at all
#20 Posted by SuperXAsh (510 posts) - - Show Bio

oh darn... i totally am saddened by this news. totally. 9.9
#21 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3556 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, if they had desired to keep that film as close to the original story as possible. That ship has sailed a long time ago. Why start now?

I think I know why the movie has been delayed. It's Gavin Hood, the director. Osborn has taken over the film industry now and The Hood is now directing movies. lol

#22 Posted by danhimself (22578 posts) - - Show Bio

darn

#23 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Close to the source material now that they saw how much they mess up DP............

#24 Posted by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

i was hoping they would somehow fit the merc with a MOUTH into the second one.

#25 Posted by Vindellavon (425 posts) - - Show Bio

Good. Magneto first, then more claws.

#26 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

.............................................................................what's interesting about Japan? 

And, I might be wrong, but left-out corniness of a hairy white dude going to Japan and becoming a martial arts master just MIGHT carry over in the form of Hugh Jackman.  Seriously, for a comic, yeah, that could work.  But in real life?   

The concept reminds me of a particular quote from Paul Mooney : "Tom Cruise is the last samurai?" 

Also, it's Wolverine, not kill bill.  He has yet to have grace in anything that he does.  He just looks like a mad man slashing away at people.  And, what good were those skills, if all he's going to do is get his hass handed to him by Mystique, Deathstrike, Sabertooth and Sabertooth?
#27 Posted by bob agent of agency x (207 posts) - - Show Bio

As long they don't F* up every character, team and location like they in wolerine 1.

P.S. get rid of Fox and Jackman(hes a good actor but if hes going to change everything again). 
P.S.S. Hurry up and make a Deadpool Movie

#28 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio
@White Mage said:
" .............................................................................what's interesting about Japan? "
.....You did read the original mini-series, right?

@White Mage said:
"And, I might be wrong, but left-out corniness of a hairy white dude going to Japan and becoming a martial arts master just MIGHT carry over in the form of Hugh Jackman.  Seriously, for a comic, yeah, that could work.  But in real life?"
If they can make a movie about a dude turning into a giant green monster or a guy built a freaking suit of power armor whilst held prisoner by terrorists, I can imagine this movie working out very well as long as they work on it as much as the Iron Man, or X-Men 1/2, or Hulk or what-have-you.

@White Mage said:
"The concept reminds me of a particular quote from Paul Mooney : "Tom Cruise is the last samurai?""

I still don't understand the big deal about that. A foreigner being the last samurai was the whole point of the movie, as the rest of the nation forgot what made the warriors special while someone else from an entire different culture discovered why they were great. C'mon.

@White Mage said:
" Also, it's Wolverine, not kill bill.  He has yet to have grace in anything that he does.  He just looks like a mad man slashing away at people."
That's why he learns what he learns in Japan :P

@White Mage said:
"And, what good were those skills, if all he's going to do is get his hass handed to him by Mystique, Deathstrike, Sabertooth and Sabertooth? "
He might have had difficulty with everybody on that list (though he got Mystique back and he gave Sabretooth hell in the first movie), but they're all dead and he isn't :P

(Only half-joking with this post)
#29 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

They should be cautious because the fist film messed around with the characters way too much. Hence, word-of-mouth wasn't so hot for the movie. Granted it is better than X3, but just by a thread.

#30 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain said:
" I still want to see Wolverine in Japan & hopefully see Silver Samurai in it as well. "
Well correct me if Im wrong here, but they're doing that whole "animatrix" thing with Wolverine and in one of them he does his Japan thing. And so far, how its worked is the scenarios they use in the shorts aren't used in the movies. That's how it was for Batman too.
#31 Posted by LauraX23 (1764 posts) - - Show Bio

Goooooooood   now lets do X-23 Origins!!!!!!!!!!!! 
I'll be X-23 :)
#32 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@ryanwh said:
" @Bruce Vain said:
" I still want to see Wolverine in Japan & hopefully see Silver Samurai in it as well. "
Well correct me if Im wrong here, but they're doing that whole "animatrix" thing with Wolverine and in one of them he does his Japan thing. And so far, how its worked is the scenarios they use in the shorts aren't used in the movies. That's how it was for Batman too. "

Yea but I didn't really for how the way Logan looked. I thought he just looked odd & the style of the animation. The Iron Man one looked good , but I disliked the Wolverine one. For the Batman one those stories took place after Batman Begins but before Dark Knight.
#33 Posted by cadaver (143 posts) - - Show Bio

i hear micky mouse will be in this one...

#34 Posted by Om1kron (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want them to make anymore wolverine or xmen based movies to be honest, the franchise has ran out of gas... when they announced xmen two it was like when transformers was announced. Then when xmen 3 came around it was like, ugh another one, who haven't they put in a movie... then after watching it and going NO F'IN WAY THEY KILLED PROFESSOR X and pretty much everyone...  

no more movies please. stop  

#35 Posted by LauraX23 (1764 posts) - - Show Bio
@Om1kron said:
" NO F'IN WAY THEY KILLED PROFESSOR X and pretty much everyone...   no more movies please. stop   " 

They didn't kill him! lol
#36 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

X3 was good for what it was - something to just eat popcorn through. 

Cyke should have lived, Prof X needed to live, and they screwed over an awesome storyline (Phoenix saga).
#37 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sparda said:
" @White Mage said:
" .............................................................................what's interesting about Japan? "
.....You did read the original mini-series, right?

@White Mage said:
"And, I might be wrong, but left-out corniness of a hairy white dude going to Japan and becoming a martial arts master just MIGHT carry over in the form of Hugh Jackman.  Seriously, for a comic, yeah, that could work.  But in real life?"
If they can make a movie about a dude turning into a giant green monster or a guy built a freaking suit of power armor whilst held prisoner by terrorists, I can imagine this movie working out very well as long as they work on it as much as the Iron Man, or X-Men 1/2, or Hulk or what-have-you.

@White Mage said:
"The concept reminds me of a particular quote from Paul Mooney : "Tom Cruise is the last samurai?""

I still don't understand the big deal about that. A foreigner being the last samurai was the whole point of the movie, as the rest of the nation forgot what made the warriors special while someone else from an entire different culture discovered why they were great. C'mon.

@White Mage said:
" Also, it's Wolverine, not kill bill.  He has yet to have grace in anything that he does.  He just looks like a mad man slashing away at people."
That's why he learns what he learns in Japan :P

@White Mage said:
"And, what good were those skills, if all he's going to do is get his hass handed to him by Mystique, Deathstrike, Sabertooth and Sabertooth? "
He might have had difficulty with everybody on that list (though he got Mystique back and he gave Sabretooth hell in the first movie), but they're all dead and he isn't :P (Only half-joking with this post) "
Issue 1: X-Men was AFTER origins.  He still looks like a sloppy slashing fool.   

Issue 2: ...........................Tom Cruise? 

Issue 3: Your point about Hulk makes sense.  However, Wolverine is more of a butchered mess that people insist on caring about due to his "implied", not "exhibited", awesomeness.  I hate how he always got the upperhand after his stupid metal enhancements.  Blob went down, Gambit went down, Sabertooth "suddenly" went down, even AFTER he had whooped his little hairy ass, almost effortlessly, in their previous fight, and that Deadpool fight was just dumb as hell.   

Issue 4: That's the kicker.  If he becomes some vicious fighter with graceful moves, then he is tampering with the later movies' (timeline wise) canon.
#38 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a feeling that if they do do it (I'm betting on it), that they will get their act together on the story. The writers need to be able to do their own thing yes, but why not use the source material infront of you, or use comic writers. Hell, get Frank Miller to re-write his story for it under newer circumstances  and press on with that. I am hoping though they use they keep Sabretooth in it for the re-accruing theme, face it, there is no Wolverine without Sabretooth. Definitely need to work in Silver Samurai and potentially see Omega red sooner or later in another film.

#39 Posted by Darkhawk77 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Hollywood always butchers our favorite characters' stories, that's Hollywood for you.  I've learned to just enjoy it for what it is, not for what it could've and should've been.
#40 Posted by zaohxc (10 posts) - - Show Bio

They have destroyed almost every marvel movie made to date, I wish they would just leave things alone. 
Don't do them if they arn't gonna do them right. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.