Wolverine Rip-Off?

#1 Posted by Unknown Soldier (79 posts) - - Show Bio

What the Heck?
#2 Posted by Amegashita (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Powers and information? 

#3 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15040 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is a rip off of Timber Wolf so 
#4 Posted by ForbushBug (487 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus: Yup, along with the healing factor swiped, both name and concept, from the Paul Kirk Manhunter.  
#5 Edited by BenReilly (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Timber Wolf didn't get that healing factor until after Wolverine, during his reboot, and plenty of characters wore their hair like that (The Owl, for example). That mask, though - come on, seriously... 
(Who is that, btw?)

#6 Edited by CATPANEXE (9357 posts) - - Show Bio
@BenReilly
Deadlock. He's a Rob Liefeld character, clearly during the time when he was going out of his way to take stabs at Marvel by making clones
of their characters.
#7 Posted by Kairan1979 (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprused nobody mentioned Ripclaw.

#8 Edited by CATPANEXE (9357 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979
as was I but about Shadowhawk. 
like I said, most of the Image creators felt at the time as of Marvel had absconded their creations, and I think it was blatant that they were trying
to get under Marvels skin intentionally by making hugely similar characters, especially in Liefeld's case, who can tend to be a bit rebellious.
I think Fighting American and Smash will back me up here. ;)
#9 Posted by BenReilly (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you! I was trying to think of Shadowhawk earlier and couldn't remember the damn name.

#10 Posted by zombietag (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

shadowhawk = wolverine + batman

#11 Posted by Kairan1979 (16926 posts) - - Show Bio
@zombietag
actually, Dark Claw = Wolverine + Batman.
#12 Posted by zombietag (1483 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979 said:
@zombietag
actually, Dark Claw = Wolverine + Batman.
well no duh, but that was on purpose. im saying shadowhawk resembles both of them a lot. also, some moon knight in there it seems. but nothing new under the sun right? i mean most of the characters we see now are based on previous stories already told.
#13 Posted by cattlebattle (13398 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob liefield has created Deadpool and 30 other characters that look exactly like him

Did you ever see Youngblood, they basically look like X-Force from the 90's

#14 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio

Liefeld ripped someone off, wow that has never happened before (you know except for the 400 other times he's done it)

#15 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

@Son_of_Magnus: Agreed.

#16 Posted by cattlebattle (13398 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:

Wolverine is a rip off of Timber Wolf so 
@PowerHerc said:

@Son_of_Magnus: Agreed.

Actually that statement is quite deabatable

Timber Wolf was kind of a normal guy until Cockrum redesigned everything about him...the Same Cockrum who developed Wolverine into the character he became, then Timber Wolf took some aspects of Wolverine, So if its the same writer, I think its more Timber Wolf was a template for Wolverine
#17 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

Template, Rip-off, inspiration, . . . it's a case of semantics. Timber Wolf came first. Wolverine came next.

Cockrum (an artist, not a writer, by the way) was the one who'd redesigned Timber Wolf and then later used some of those same elements in his depiction and the over-all development of Wolverine. There is definitely an obvious infleunce and linear connection.

Yet you contend Wolverine not being a rip-off of Timber Wolf is debatable? Hah! That's rich.

#18 Posted by theicon (1795 posts) - - Show Bio
@Unknown Soldier: wolverine is a rip of the owl
#19 Posted by KainScion (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

even if wolvies a rip-off of dog boy over there, he WAY BETTER. plus there werent that many powers or hair does back then so they used what was popular and what they had.

#20 Edited by Howlverine (62 posts) - - Show Bio

*sigh*...the whole Timberwolf v. Wolverine debate again.  
Ok....Originally Timberwolf looked nothing like he does now. He did not have a healing factor. He did not have enhanced senses. And he looked like this. He was called Lone Wolf. And he led a gang called the "Lone Wolves". (bwahahahaha....)

Clearly, Wolverine wasn't based on THIS. (Cause THIS is LAME.)  

Post Zero-Hour, during one of DC's many reboots (/cop-outs), and of course post the huge popularity of Wolverine (and his generally feral powers and demeanor), Timberwolf was given the same attributes. And with every reboot he became more and more like Wolverine, until they decided to make him a  "lycanthrope" this time. Somewhere along the way he also gained a "bad temper".   
The only thing he may have beaten Wolvie to was the hairdo.   
Everything else about Wolvie (Weapon X, the 3-Claw design, Adamantium, Lack of memory, and the supercool scrapper-dude persona) is original Wolvie. 
Only reason anyone even remembers TWolf is his similarity to Wolverine. 

And yeah the Guy in the Pic....he does seem to be one of maybe 30 Image characters who were Wolvie rip-offs.
#21 Posted by Kairan1979 (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

Check Nightwing #1 to see another rip-off.

#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio

Every character with claws isn't a Wolverine rip-off.

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979 said:
Ripclaw is a 100 times more interesting than Wolverine and he's hardly a ripoff
#24 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
Every character with claws isn't a Wolverine rip-off.
QFT.
#25 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@Kairan1979 said:
Ripclaw isn't a Wolverine rip-off but he's certainly a Lady Deathstrike rip-off.
#26 Posted by labarith (669 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Template, Rip-off, inspiration, . . . it's a case of semantics. Timber Wolf came first. Wolverine came next

That's like saying the original Batman design came first, so any superhero who wears black is a batman ripoff.

#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@Kairan1979 said:
Ripclaw isn't a Wolverine rip-off but he's certainly a Lady Deathstrike rip-off.
Just because he has claws smiler to her does not make him a rip off. Is she a Native American? Can she channel the spirits of animals?
#28 Posted by cattlebattle (13398 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

Template, Rip-off, inspiration, . . . it's a case of semantics. Timber Wolf came first. Wolverine came next.

Cockrum (an artist, not a writer, by the way) was the one who'd redesigned Timber Wolf and then later used some of those same elements in his depiction and the over-all development of Wolverine. There is definitely an obvious infleunce and linear connection.

Yet you contend Wolverine not being a rip-off of Timber Wolf is debatable? Hah! That's rich.

I just saw this cute post directed at me, yeah it is rich, because how is Wolverine a rip off of Timber Wolf when Timber wolf had no characteristics of Wolverine to begin with...they were added after Wolverine was around...so yeah that would be considered a template or motif for a character...its definitely not blatant
#29 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
Just because he has claws smiler to her does not make him a rip off. Is she a Native American? Can she channel the spirits of animals?
They don't have to be completely similar characteristics for him to be a rip-off.That's like saying Sentry isn't a Superman Rip-off because he's not an alien and is schizophrenic.When he clearly draws inspiration from Supes. Cyberforce is clearly taking alot of reference from  X-Men.
#30 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@spiderbat87 said:
They don't have to be completely similar characteristics for him to be a rip-off.That's like saying Sentry isn't a Superman Rip-off because he's not an alien and is schizophrenic.When he clearly draws inspiration from Supes. Cyberforce is clearly taking alot of reference from  X-Men.
Drawing inspiration from and ripping off are two totally different things 
#31 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

@labarith said:

@PowerHerc said:

Template, Rip-off, inspiration, . . . it's a case of semantics. Timber Wolf came first. Wolverine came next

That's like saying the original Batman design came first, so any superhero who wears black is a batman ripoff.

No. You're oversimplifying.

There are way more similarities between Timber Wolf and Wolverine than costume color. You know this is true.

Your analogy doesn't hold up.

#32 Edited by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:

Drawing inspiration from and ripping off are two totally different things 

I'm aware of that but what comic fans call rip-offs don't actually fit that definition.No character ACTUALLY rips off another or there would be legal issues.You're taking the term to literal.
#33 Posted by thelastlife0726 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

HA! THIS upsets you? Half of Image comic's quote unquote "original" charactors from the ninties are Wolverine rip offs, and the other half were rip-offs of other charactors. They got better over time, but take a closer look at eary issues of youngblood.

#34 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is still the best

#35 Posted by GTG (7 posts) - - Show Bio

thats priceless

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.