Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16085 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Wolverine muscle build

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By LoganRogue24

is Logans muscle build cause of his powers. cause in the movie he was a child so his muscle build is cause of his powers right.
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hawk

What.....?
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By castleking
    @LoganRogue24 said:
    " is Logans muscle build cause of his powers. cause in the movie he was a child so his muscle build is cause of his powers right. "
    no.. in the comics it was caused by hard labor working in a mine and simply being physically active running in the woods ect ect... it was natural for him to eventually gain muscle mass.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jordama

Yea, I don't think it is related to his mutation, he just is really fit, but a little exaggerated. he does get a degree of super strength from the adamantium though.
    kore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kore

We need more fat heroes. This is America!!!!

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aronmorales
    @kore said:
    " We need more fat heroes. This is America!!!! "
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_Martian
    @kore said:

No Caption Provided
    kore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kore
    @Nobody said:
    " @kore said:

No Caption Provided
    "
    My vote for the new Captain America
    Ronnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ronnie

Right as a bit of a gym rat I think logans muscularity would be down to his powers. 

To build muscle first you need to break the fibres down through exercise, then you need to get the necessary fuel to them and let the fibres repair/rebuild (heal basically). So his healing powers wouldve played a part in his physique.
    camodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By camodude
    @kore said:
    wolverines canadian so that doesn't count
    kore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kore
    @camodude: That's a good point. Does he have a green card?
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By castleking
    no.. he has carde blanke... from shadow governments and shield.. he can come in and out and avoid security checks at airports. he is also more american then captain america.
    kore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kore
    @castleking said:
    " no.. he has carde blanke... from shadow governments and shield.. he can come in and out and avoid security checks at airports. he is also more american then captain america.
    "
    That might be true now, but for the first few years he was on the X-Men he was a fugitive from the Canadian Government. Since he never applied for asylum I'm guessing at the time he was an illegal alien.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iLLituracy

Healing factors don't make you skinny. Agent X can attest to that.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By castleking
    @kore said:
    " @castleking said:
    " no.. he has carde blanke... from shadow governments and shield.. he can come in and out and avoid security checks at airports. he is also more american then captain america.
    "
    That might be true now, but for the first few years he was on the X-Men he was a fugitive from the Canadian Government. Since he never applied for asylum I'm guessing at the time he was an illegal alien. "
    no.. he still had access due to various legitimate passports from both canada/america joint CIA ops.....  :P 
    technically he wasnt a citizen of either since he lived off the grid for a long time. going back nobody could even begin to prove where he is from.
    kore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kore
    @castleking said:
    " @kore said:
    " @castleking said:
    "
    That might be true now, but for the first few years he was on the X-Men he was a fugitive from the Canadian Government. Since he never applied for asylum I'm guessing at the time he was an illegal alien. "
    no.. he still had access due to various legitimate passports from both canada/america joint CIA ops.....  :P 
    technically he wasnt a citizen of either since he lived off the grid for a long time. going back nobody could even begin to prove where he is from. "
    After Department H got their claws in him he was considered Canadian property. When he went to Canada I'm pretty sure he gave up his American citizenship.
    voidroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By voidroid
    @Ronnie said:
    " Right as a bit of a gym rat I think logans muscularity would be down to his powers.  To build muscle first you need to break the fibres down through exercise, then you need to get the necessary fuel to them and let the fibres repair/rebuild (heal basically). So his healing powers wouldve played a part in his physique. "
    Yeah.  Any muscle tearing that came from hard work might be the equivalent to a massive strength training regimen.  Hard labour is too low intensity to be the same as weight lifting, but since he has the healing factor, he would be able to constantly push harder than your average labourer. 

Ah... yeah.  I'm a gym rat as well.
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By castleking
    hard labour especially mine work in the 1800's is far more physical intensive then a gym routine...  -_-

voidroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By voidroid

It's not the same.  You're not targeting specific muscle groups and it's spread out over a longer period of time.  And the fact that it IS more intense (which I'm not denying in the least) just means it would be harder to build muslce.  Labour intense jobs take a lot more energy than going to the gym for an hour or two a day.  With most jobs like that, the bulk of the work is in your legs since the upper body is much weaker than the lower body, and a lot of the heavy lifting comes down to carrying object from point A to point B -> the only muscles in motion are the legs.  Someone like Wolverine who had a healing factor, however, would be able to carry MORE repetative motions than an average miner.  He would finish a task - heal within seconds, and then go back to the same task immediately, without having to sleep or rest to replenish energy (or his muscle fibers, which as I said would be constantly rebuilding).  That's the equivalent of doing steroids, but without the nasty side effects.     

When I say low intensity, I'm speaking about the term in relation to heart rate.  NOT the intensity of the work itself.  I don't imagine a miner in the 1800s would be working with a heart rate of over 150 bps for 12-16 hours a day.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By castleking
    i  was a military gym rat. i can tell u that gym and levy machine are far more inferior then actual hard real life work out. from sand bagging to run in a desert sandy beach lifting ppl hiking ect ect...

logan would have gotten the bulk look  he has far more efficiently and faster being a miner and cage fighter then going to  the gym.

the comics even show his gradual muscle mass increase from the hard intensive labor of mining and hauling rocks up and down the mountain.

when i was young i got bigger more muscular and more define arms from construction in under a month far faster then my time in high school lifting weights and being a wrestler and my various other sports.

i was using jack hammers ribbet busters, clay spades... their is a major difference between the soft doughey pretty boy muscle and a hard working grown man muscle.

voidroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By voidroid

Yeah.  That's all nice, but I know better from experience.  I've worked hard labour jobs my whole life (farming, construction, and oil well servicing.)  That kind of work builds lean muscle, increasing your metabolism.  That's not the way that someone would bulk up.  Almost anyone I ever worked with in those jobs had a lean muscle build, not a brawny build.

Wolverine is built like a competitive body builder.  The gradual muscle gain is either from his healing factor, or it's just a discrepancy with real life anatomy. 

The difference between the muscle (as you mention above, being soft pretty boy and hard working grown man muscle) is in what kind of work you can do.  Large swelled muscles allow you to life more weight, lean muscle allows you to lift less weight for a longer period of time.  It's just doesn't build the same kind of muscle.  It's a FACT of biology.  Their called fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers, and they're related to strength and endurance.

mdayschaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mdayschaos

well does the climate and altitude have any factor on muscle growth

voidroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By voidroid

Altitude does.  Oxygen deprivation causes your muscles more stress, and the process is typically referred to as anaerobic exercise.  Climate can be a factor too, but it's much more long term, and I don't know the exact specifics of it, but I know that it does increase energy consumption to warm you up (and in hotter climates, to cool you down).  So it can be good or bad depending on the amount of exposure.  But just for the record, I live pretty far north in Canada and have experienced working twelve hour days in -40 conditions.  However, Wolverine typically isn't phased much by the cold, as we've seen in SEVERAL panels.  I believe it all goes back to healing factor.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.