WOLVERINE - do you hate him? like him? Why ?

• 106 results
#1 Posted by azmoday (151 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey ,

I've been hearing lots of bad things about wolvie ... i guess he's just been too over exposed... but I also wonderin why he's such a big name in marvel.  So my question is .. how do you feel about him?!

#2 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

He is the biggest victim in Marvel

Victim of experimentation, mutant, Abnesia, death of his love ones, kids popping up from everywhere, persecuted by all.

I think he is cool but is true he is incredibly overexpose 

#3 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's a great character,but he's everywhere. Books, toys, TV shows,movies, I just want to run away from him.

#4 Posted by Son Of Storm (11297 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine....I HATE HIM. IS WAAAAAAAAAY TO OVEREXPOSE. PEOPLE ACT LIKE HE IS THE FACE OF X-MEN AND MARVEL. I WISH HE WOULD GO AWAY FOREVER AND DONT COME BACK.

#5 Posted by RaptorFratBoy (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is easily my all-time favorite character, and after the "Spider Clone" mess chased me away from comics, Wolvie brought me back. It's that simple.

People can call him "overexposed" all they want, the fact of the matter is he's overexposed for a reason...he sells comics. He sells toys, movies, video games, and clothes. Wolverine is a multi-media juggernaut. Fans that wish him to "go away" are basically asking Marvel to shoot themselves in the face and burn a giant pile of money. We don't ACT like he's the face of Marvel and The X-Men, he's exactly that and more. You put Wolverine on a cover, and you've got interest. You can argue all you want, facts are facts.

I myself enjoy the character because his mysterious past was always fun to try and figure out back in the day, before it was revealed. All the guesses and clues were awesome to decipher and piece together. Plus, the guy is just a bad mo-fo, gets the best-looking women in comics, smokes cigars and drinks brews, but also has a heart of gold and will die to save his friends. If he was only in one comic and NOT plastered everywhere, you'd ALL love him, or at least like him. Hating on Logan is just the "cool" thing to do amongst the internet comic fans these days, it seems, just like it is with Bendis and Morrison (both of whom were internet gods just a few years ago). Once something goes mainstream, it's just not "cool" anymore.

#6 Posted by War Killer (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Wolverine, yeah he's everyhwere, yeah he's all GB just said, but I still find Logan intresting

#7 Posted by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

Hes a legend.
Long live Logan...

#8 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chaos Prime said:
" Hes a legend. Long live Logan... "
agreed althought he should be used less often hes all over tha place
#9 Edited by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio
@lazystudent said:
" @Chaos Prime said:
agreed althought he should be used less often hes all over tha place "
Agreed.But thats Marvel for u they see the $$$ before coming up with new & unique characters..Logan makes em big $$$ so hes going to be all over the place.
#10 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@RaptorFratBoy said:
" Wolverine is easily my all-time favorite character, and after the "Spider Clone" mess chased me away from comics, Wolvie brought me back. It's that simple. People can call him "overexposed" all they want, the fact of the matter is he's overexposed for a reason...he sells comics. He sells toys, movies, video games, and clothes. Wolverine is a multi-media juggernaut. Fans that wish him to "go away" are basically asking Marvel to shoot themselves in the face and burn a giant pile of money. We don't ACT like he's the face of Marvel and The X-Men, he's exactly that and more. You put Wolverine on a cover, and you've got interest. You can argue all you want, facts are facts. I myself enjoy the character because his mysterious past was always fun to try and figure out back in the day, before it was revealed. All the guesses and clues were awesome to decipher and piece together. Plus, the guy is just a bad mo-fo, gets the best-looking women in comics, smokes cigars and drinks brews, but also has a heart of gold and will die to save his friends. If he was only in one comic and NOT plastered everywhere, you'd ALL love him, or at least like him. Hating on Logan is just the "cool" thing to do amongst the internet comic fans these days, it seems, just like it is with Bendis and Morrison (both of whom were internet gods just a few years ago). Once something goes mainstream, it's just not "cool" anymore. "
Good one.
#11 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chaos Prime said:
" @lazystudent said:
" @Chaos Prime said:
Agreed.But thats Marvel for u they see the $$$ before coming up with new & unique characters..Logan makes em big $$$ so hes going to be all over the place. "
If they didn't go for the money first then alot of unique characters wouldn't exist because Marvel would've died a long time ago.
#12 Posted by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio
@Drafta said:
" @Chaos Prime said:
" @lazystudent said:
" @Chaos Prime said:
Agreed.But thats Marvel for u they see the $$$ before coming up with new & unique characters..Logan makes em big $$$ so hes going to be all over the place. "
If they didn't go for the money first then alot of unique characters wouldn't exist because Marvel would've died a long time ago. "
Yea but a balance would ne nice..
#13 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chaos Prime said:
" @Drafta said:
" @Chaos Prime said:
" @lazystudent said:
" @Chaos Prime said:
If they didn't go for the money first then alot of unique characters wouldn't exist because Marvel would've died a long time ago. "
Yea but a balance would ne nice.. "
Yeah, but balance is hard to achieve, especially with such a huge medium.
#14 Posted by danhimself (22628 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is easily one of the best characters ever created and like RaptorFratBoy said above....if his hundreds of appearances a month didn't sell then Marvel wouldn't be putting him everywhere..the truth of the matter is there are a very few people out there that don't like him but there are tons of people out there buying up everything he's in

#15 Posted by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

@Drafta.True but a shame imo.All these son of heroes/Villains is so so boring imo.It just seems the in thing at the moment to have as many off-spring from the top charcters as possible.
Wot next Deadpool & Sue Reed getting it on?? ;-)

#16 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chaos Prime said:
" @Drafta.True but a shame imo.All these son of heroes/Villains is so so boring imo.It just seems the in thing at the moment to have as many off-spring from the top charcters as possible.Wot next Deadpool & Sue Reed getting it on?? ;-) "
Yeah that really pisses me off.  If Cyclops gets one more brother I'm gonna scream.
#17 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate him cause he is overused and his annoying fanboys.

#18 Posted by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio
@Drafta said:
" @Chaos Prime said:
" @Drafta.True but a shame imo.All these son of heroes/Villains is so so boring imo.It just seems the in thing at the moment to have as many off-spring from the top charcters as possible.Wot next Deadpool & Sue Reed getting it on?? ;-) "
Yeah that really pisses me off.  If Cyclops gets one more brother I'm gonna scream. "
Lol ;-)
#19 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

i have mixed feelings about wolverine, he is a good character though not as good as some claim. on one hand there have been great stories involving him but he is vastly over exposed i honestly think there are many far better characters that for some reason have been over shadowed by him. ive never really related to the character (he seems like the kinda guy who would've tried to stuff people into lockers in high school).

#20 Posted by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
"Hate him cause he is overused and his annoying fanboys."

You must hate Hulk, Deadpool and Storm too, then lol.
#21 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Wolverine when he was in Claremont's run but as time went on it seemed like they gave him too much BAD-ittude and put him in every X-Book.

#22 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:
" @Nobody said:
"Hate him cause he is overused and his annoying fanboys."
You must hate Hulk, Deadpool and Storm too, then lol. "
Pretty much, except for Hulk. His fanboys annoy me, but he isn't overused as much as the others.
#23 Posted by lioneta (333 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him and deadpool and almost everyone else that is too overexposed.
Cept' Summers of course.

#24 Posted by Omg chris (1607 posts) - - Show Bio

too overexposed

#25 Posted by MOONKNIGHT-LANTERN (389 posts) - - Show Bio

he used to be one of my favorites ...

#26 Posted by NightFang (10135 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him, cuz he's Woverine why else.

#27 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

Many writers have a bad habit of allowing Wolverine to dominate what would otherwise be excellent ensemble team books.  New Avengers, Astonishing X-Men.  Interesting casts in all.  Oh, but wait, there's Wolverine.  Well, now we all know who is going to get the best one-liners for the rest of the series, and the best fight scenes, and play the voice of experience.  Nope, can't have any of these other characters doing that.

I don't hate him, but when he's in a team book it becomes painfully obvious what kind of role he's going to play.  There are plenty of other characters in Marvel-U who could do the same thing, but for some reason Wolverine ends up doing it over and over.

#28 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

i like him

#29 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

I love him. Always have, as far as I can tell always will. 

#30 Posted by dancingphlower (84 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, he used to be one of my favorites, but now it's hard for me to like due to his overexposure.

#31 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@dancingphlower said:
" Eh, he used to be one of my favorites, but now it's hard for me to like due to his overexposure. "
he's still the same in all his appearances though
#32 Posted by dancingphlower (84 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" @dancingphlower said:
" Eh, he used to be one of my favorites, but now it's hard for me to like due to his overexposure. "
he's still the same in all his appearances though
"
His "badass" attitude is starting to grate on me.
#33 Posted by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Wolverine.

#34 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Wolverine when he hangs out with Spider-man,  you would think they wouldn't get along (Wolverine being a killer and Spidy being a by the book superhero) but they work very well together.

#35 Posted by azmoday (151 posts) - - Show Bio

I notice spiderman is in alot of comics aswell .. how come there doesnt seem any hatred towards him!?

#36 Posted by sifsclub (474 posts) - - Show Bio

wolverine's cool. it's not his fault they like to super expose him. but they do it because he's cool.

#37 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, Spider -man not that popular here in the forums, many "Viners" wonder why people like him so much.

#38 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

wolverine is like the road runner, ^$%@!er wont go down. but god i love him

#39 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

i love wolverine because he is badass and awesome and he has awesome powers.

#40 Posted by box turtle (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is one of my favorite characters.  He is funny, complelling, exciting, and in-depth.  I am amazed that, unlike Spiderman, all his many issues are still awesome!

Adamantium Bird

#41 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

dude wolverines awesome, all that long hair , the white streaks, way to stick 2 fingers up at the American idea of a hero.

#42 Posted by Sirnoobsalot (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine... Wolverine, Wolverine Wolverine... boy oh boy. Where to begin with the media mess? 
I used to hate Wolverine because he was so popular. It was more of a reaction to the public perception of him vs those of my other favorite characters. However, as time went on, I began to hate Wolverine for reasons far... far more valid. 

Wolverine has a phrase, "I'm the best at what I do." It used to be that I would just laugh at the smelly hairball and prod fun at his stupid and horridly undescriptive catch phrase. But ye know what? He's right. He is the best at what he does. And what he does, as he would have you believe, is not very nice.

Wolverine is the best at breaking the rules of the universe. Not some of them. No. ALL of them. Physics, Continuity, Public Saturation... all that fun stuff. I say Physics because honest to god, Wolverine has been shown doing things that, under the normal laws of physics, he would be beyond capable of doing. Many a time he has slashed through a pillar, or door, or enemy that is thicker than his claws are long. He doesn't do it in multiple slashes, oh no. He slashes this giant sucker once, and then timber! So, either his claws extend farther thus making them longer than his forearms ('Deadpool' in Wolverine's movie anyone?) or, he bends and warps reality in front of him, compressing space down to what can be called a "slashable" width and density. One way or another, he is successfully altering the physical properties of space around, or within, himself. Even to the most jaded comic reader, that is fairly impressive. On top of that, according to fans, he is also one of the best combatants in the Marvel Universe, AND knows and has mastered nearly every single martial art ever. What does this have to do with physics? Well, as he is apparently more combat savey than Ares, the god of war, he does an unbelievable job of hiding it. For a man of 80 to 120 years of age (depending on whether we're going with his original history or the abridged version) he has sure as hell learned those martial arts fast. Given that to actually MASTER a martial art it takes upwards of 30 to 40 years of dedication, he must have broken himself into about 150 different copies, thus allowing each copy to learn a a pair of martial arts and then, when the time of The Gathering has come when the 4 moons align and in the north star of Agnor shines brightly, the 150 copies would converge, and meld back together to create a single, cohesive, Wolverine that knows all combat tactics ever. But, because he is just THAT good... he never has to use them. Ever. Thus explaining why he only uses what to the untrained eye looks like wild flailing of the arms.

Next time on -The Invincible Wolverine: Explained-  We dig further into the broken world of Marvel Universe, and find the true, perfect universe, of Wolverine, and his perfect world of physical laws and continuity.

#43 Posted by Hipsterhobo (17 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chaos Prime said:
Damn straight
#44 Posted by Princess_Of_Darkness (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care if he is over used by "fanboys" but I still love my Wolverine. If you have taken time like most people have that adore comics to understand Wolverines story.

The reason I love Wolverine is due to his military background, his rough neck attitude, and he personality when **** hits the fan.
#45 Posted by infonation (1665 posts) - - Show Bio
@azmoday: I think Wolverine is MARVEL's ultimate pulp hero, he's got all the same courage, integrity, cunning, determination, fighting spirit, and consideration as Indiana Jones, Flash Gordon, John Carter, The Spirit, Buck Rodgers, Sherlock Holms, and yes, even BATMAN, yet has all the power and longevity to back these qualities up! That's why he's the best he is at what he does! Yes he's overexposed, but that' s the trouble with MARVEL! They get a character that people love and before you know it they're putting that character in EVERYTHING while they still can! And this usually just makes things WORSE...
#46 Edited by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Wolverine simply because I think he is a cool character with an interesting back-story. That being said, I also think that he is used too much. I think it has been that way since the 90s, and it has only gotten worse ever since then. In the 90s he was just appearing in a LOT of X-Men related stuff. Now he's on the Avengers on top of all the X-Men stuff. He has also been the main focus in all but one of the X-Men films. Like I said, I think he is a cool character; I just think he has suffered a little bit to overexposure. Marvel just needs to learn that sometimes less is more.

#47 Posted by IrishX (2421 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
i have mixed feelings about wolverine, he is a good character though not as good as some claim. on one hand there have been great stories involving him but he is vastly over exposed i honestly think there are many far better characters that for some reason have been over shadowed by him. ive never really related to the character (he seems like the kinda guy who would've tried to stuff people into lockers in high school).
I realize that I'm responding to a two year old post but I still feel the need to do so. Logan is the kind of guy who would protect and stand up for the kid being stuffed into the locker. Maybe part of the reason you don't relate to the character is that you simply don't understand him in the first place.
#48 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

I Like Wolverine.   He's one of my favorite marvel characters...

I think you'll find most people who hate him, do so because he is overused.  He's on EVERY freaking team out there and in EVERY freaking publication at one time or another.  So, yeah, I can see where that would get annoying...

But... as a character, I like him very much.

- His personality is distinguishable from many other super heroes out there.
- His power doesn't put him in the 'cosmically ridiculously powered' level, so he's not the "super-man" type of character that can just about solve every problem without much effort.  (I do realize I'm embellishing a little.)
- He does not pretend to never kill.  I CAN'T STAND seeing characters say, "We never kill!  Ever.  Killing is wrong in every situation and we NEVER EVER DO IT!"   When clearly they do.  For example, Cyclops and Storm LOVE to get on their high horse and criticize others for killing, when they themselves have done so more than once...
- He makes the hard decisions and is willing to do the things that others KNOW must be done but they simply aren't willing to.  Take a look at this scan from Mighty Avengers number 1 (Right after Civil War I believe)

- He's a Samurai
- He's a common man.  He likes, cars, motorcycles, beer and women...  Not in that order.  Beer would probably be first...
#49 Posted by saintutd (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Used to love old tin head in the early 90s he was my top hero, + the xmen cartoon was soooooo fecking cool! I miss the old wolverine the one who knew hulk would destroy him in a fight so he punched him in the face first just cos he wanted to get the first lick and then got sent flying through a wall! He knew he would lose and he said it. Now days "fanboys" think he can beat superman, hulk, wonderwoman etc,, not in the same league. + hes fecking everywhere!! Beating up everything! Hes powers are getting silly! I hate fanboys!! Piss me off thanks to u egg sucking gutter trashes he's moved down my list to 9th all because of u fanboys!! Damn u all!! Damn u all to hell!!!

#50 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13417 posts) - - Show Bio

@RaptorFratBoy said:

Wolverine is easily my all-time favorite character, and after the "Spider Clone" mess chased me away from comics, Wolvie brought me back. It's that simple. People can call him "overexposed" all they want, the fact of the matter is he's overexposed for a reason...he sells comics. He sells toys, movies, video games, and clothes. Wolverine is a multi-media juggernaut. Fans that wish him to "go away" are basically asking Marvel to shoot themselves in the face and burn a giant pile of money. We don't ACT like he's the face of Marvel and The X-Men, he's exactly that and more. You put Wolverine on a cover, and you've got interest. You can argue all you want, facts are facts. I myself enjoy the character because his mysterious past was always fun to try and figure out back in the day, before it was revealed. All the guesses and clues were awesome to decipher and piece together. Plus, the guy is just a bad mo-fo, gets the best-looking women in comics, smokes cigars and drinks brews, but also has a heart of gold and will die to save his friends. If he was only in one comic and NOT plastered everywhere, you'd ALL love him, or at least like him. Hating on Logan is just the "cool" thing to do amongst the internet comic fans these days, it seems, just like it is with Bendis and Morrison (both of whom were internet gods just a few years ago). Once something goes mainstream, it's just not "cool" anymore.

agreed for the most part.

but of course we all know who the face of Marvel is

This Guy!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.