Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16086 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Wolverine Anime, Right Direction??

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I saw the previews for the Iron Man and Wolverine animes Marvel is producing in conjunction with MadHouse and Sony Pictures Entertainment.
    The Iron Man series felt pretty right, but the Wolverine series felt completely wrong to me, and I'm a lover of animes.

Judging from the preview shown on ComicVine the series seems to lean heavily toward the mystical side of Japan. The art style reminds me of the series Trinity Blood, story of a powerful vampire like being turned priest for the Catholic Church.
    When we imagine Wolverine we think of a small, built bad ass who will kick your ass six ways from the Meiji Era. The version they are using for the anime is a tall, lanky pretty boy type. Quite fitting toward the Trinity Blood audience of young women who adore angst ridden heroes that can never seem to find love. Doesn't feel right for Wolverine.

In my personal opinion I think they would of been far better to emulate such tough anime series as Samurai Champloo or Cowboy Bebop. As an example please check out the following youtube clips where they show some great fight scenes in the series.

Samurai Champloo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzErUBYQZpI
    Cowboy Bebop
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhFg0rv2pzA (Please ignore the Rocky theme music)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upfW-PLc_4g&feature=related

When I think Wolverine. I think dirty and gritty. The series idea they are going with feels far too pretty.

jymevans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jymevans

That wasn't Wolverine... couldn't be... what were they thinking? 

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

It is a right directioin if you want to try to get people from Japan to learn about Marvel characters

santeria_smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By santeria_smith

Yea the character design is horrible. it looks....horrible.

btw is the guy in Iron Man trailer (the pirate looking guy) is he from the Iron Man comics? or made up for the anime

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LightBright

I think if Marvel's going to start doing crazy Anime projects they should consider bringing in some other characters. What about Iron Fist, Daredevil, or Spiderwoman (as examples). They have other characters out there that would be far better Anime style.

havco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By havco

Maybe they are trying something new

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aronmorales

I'm gonna have to see how the story progresses...that is once I know where the animes are going to appear.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @santeria_smith said:
    "Yea the character design is horrible. it looks....horrible.btw is the guy in Iron Man trailer (the pirate looking guy) is he from the Iron Man comics? or made up for the anime"

I thought that was Mandiran, he looked sort of like him with the gloves and I guess Ultimo armor
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @LightBright said:
    "I think if Marvel's going to start doing crazy Anime projects they should consider bringing in some other characters. What about Iron Fist, Daredevil, or Spiderwoman (as examples). They have other characters out there that would be far better Anime style."

Thye probably will make those characters, but Wolverine and Iron Man are more easier to traslat into Anime
    Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aronmorales

I think a good Wolverine anime should just be his time in Japan.
    Unless that is what this is supposed to be.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @War Killer:
    How do you get them interested in American comics when you don't even depict the characters properly? I showed examples of hugely popular animes that are better depictions of series like Wolverine.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    "@War Killer: How do you get them interested in American comics when you don't even depict the characters properly? I showed examples of hugely popular animes that are better depictions of series like Wolverine."

Because the Japanese understand Anime better and giving charecters like Iron Man a Anime twist could help then intrested in all of Marvel's characters
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By danhimself

I would have preferred that they used the regular design for Wolverine....whoever that is in the trailer doesn't feel like Wolverine to me

Viruscide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Viruscide

I think it looks good, but the closest thing it is to the real Wolvie is the claws. Then again, I like how their portraying him in a different way then the usual Wolverine.

I myself would like a Ghost Rider anime, though.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @danhimself: 
    Thanks, that is the point I was making. If you look at the examples that I show, via youtube. I show examples of animes that have Wolverine-like action scenes.
    This anime looks far too flowery and clean. A Wolverine anime should be dark and gritty.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Looks more like Daken, good idea though I would haveliked it more if they used diffrent characters like Ghost Rider or somthing, he would be Awesome in anime

PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PYH000
    @LightBright: I was thinking how Illyana Rasputin aka Magik would be a perfect example of a dark fantasy anime genre. It's fitting and she seems easy to translate to anime well.
    Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Phorqe

This is how I imagine the Japanese Marvel execs sold it to the studios.

"Wolverine-son has 3 sharp claws and each hand. Very Nice! and Supa Big Hair! Very nice. He fight demon dog, but look out! Demon dog become spirit smoke and turn into Supa Big Samurai Monsta! Look out! How can Logan-son beat such BEEEG Monsta? Hu-hu-ha! Don't worry. Logan-son has trick up sleeve. Supa sharp claws! He slice through Samurai spirit Monsta! In Half! Oooooh! Very Good!" 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.