Why Wolverine Became so popular & what I'm scared of

#1 Posted by TrollHunter (148 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we all love a tough anti hero with a dark sense of humor.

What I'm scared of is that his character is going to become this Strange multiple personalty thing depending on the writers whims, where he's really nice in some comics. A stone cold Killer in others, and a alcoholic monosyllabic chauvinistic trouble maker in others.

Wolverines an @sshole but he's our the fans favorite @sshole. He's not a baby sitter or a team player, or the kind of guy to get bothered about it or other people.

So HOW the hell is he now the Principle of a school for mutants. I know people change & when you live for ever you can change a lot Character development blah blah blah , but this is just to much.

Their trying to Take away wolverines edge their trying to de-claw him, this is just wrong (pause) yes it is

#2 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel just pimps him out wherever they can make money. He sells comics and they know it. His characterization is just really inconsistent.

#3 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I reckon that wolverine is a genuinely nice guy but all the pain he has gone through in the past has made him a bit irritable at times

#4 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@TrollHunter: oh yes lets make everybody one sided, no character development or layers. dc is doing the same thing to batman but nobody is talking sh!t about that guy.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27198 posts) - - Show Bio

it's a bit late to be worried about this 

#6 Posted by X35 (5971 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

it's a bit late to be worried about this

Haha my exact thought when i saw the post

This has been happening to Wolverine for years now. One day he can be slicing a guy's throat, the next he can be getting told off by Aunt May, the the next he can be cutting a guy's eyeball out, the next he can be getting beat up by Squirrel Girl.

#7 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@TrollHunter:

Yes this could happen. but also that whats part of Wolverines appel is that a writer can makes his past be anything and still be in perfect continuity. you have in effect a immortal being with mortal emotions. i can make him ferrel one day and civil the next. and the whole school thing actally fits rather nice with is personality. Wolverine is trying to instill a sense of honor code in his students, which has always been a big part of him. also lve chamges thing more then anyother thing ever is jean's death.

#8 Posted by mtrakos (517 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

Marvel just pimps him out wherever they can make money. He sells comics and they know it. His characterization is just really inconsistent.

The last comic of his I read was "Old man logan" Other than that he's dead to me. Black ops murderer, nice guy, confused lost puppy, New Charles Xavier. In every comic, marvel watered down their franchise boy too much

#9 Posted by entropy_aegis (13551 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

@TrollHunter: oh yes lets make everybody one sided, no character development or layers. dc is doing the same thing to batman but nobody is talking sh!t about that guy.

I dont know about Logan but DC is'nt doing anything like the OP is suggesting to Batman,try again.

#10 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@mtrakos: Agreed. His character development and characterization has just been bastardize.

#11 Posted by TrollHunter (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: I kinda want to be beaten up by squirrel girl to but then I'm just weird like that, i think it's a tail thing

@spiderbat87: Never give up hope

#12 Posted by MoonstoneEvil (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah his characterisation is all over the place.

#13 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk and idc. Im fine with it.

#14 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (5913 posts) - - Show Bio

Do folks even read Wolverine? I mean, do they actually read the stories or just base opinion off opinion without really pulling a few Wolverine books monthly. Wolverine and the X-Men is a great read and Jason Aaron is doing a great job writing a very Wolverine-like headmaster.

Wolverine lives by a code of honor. Opening a school sees him backing his moral code in a different kind of battle. He's just as tenacious about it as he is facing any other antagonist to cross his sense of right and wrong.

That said, there are a lot of crap stories out there and inconsistencies, sure. But point out an icon who hasn't had their share.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.