Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16088 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Why Is He So Popular?

AQD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AQD

I've always wondered why people think he's the most popular Marvel character. His powers aren't interesting at all and from what I can remember from the X-Men comics, he was always just aggressive and boring, in my opinion. What do you think?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

When done well he can be interesting. The tortured loner with amnesia.

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By weaponmaster

Adamantium is interesting

Healing factors are interesting

Claws that pop out of your forearms/hands

Mutants are interesting

Wolverine is a great name and fits him well because of the claws and senses and his size and powerset.

These things plus a lot more make him an interesting character. he has just been over-used.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

He got old years ago. 

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Some people think he's interesting some don't, each to his own really.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By TheGoldenOne

I think there should already be a thread about this

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Kallarkz
    @TheGoldenOne said:

" I think there should already be a thread about this "

There is

http://www.comicvine.com/wolverine/29-1440/can-someone-tell-me-why-is-there-so-much-hate-for-wolverine/92-610042/#43

http://www.comicvine.com/wolverine/29-1440/wolverine-do-you-hate-him-like-him-why/92-405557/#44 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8  Edited By SC  Moderator

Why is he popular is different to do you find him popular. So its about looking at the character objectively as opposed to subjectively. 

Wolverine has a great gimmick as it is. Stoic, rough, tough, gruff archetypes have always been popular, so have underdogs and Wolverine is a literal dog who is short and so can walk under most tables without ducking. So are tortured souls who endure a lot of physical and mental and emotional pain. His powers are very interesting. The fact that he heals so fast means he will endure a lot of physical pain, and so whenever he sets out to achieve something, it becomes a matter of will. No human being can walk though a field of fire. Physically our body will go into shock, were will suffocate and so on. Wolverine's skin will melt his hair will burn his eyes will boil, he will feel pain, but he should be able to maintain consciousness. He should still be able to put one foot in front of the other, but will he? Well Wolverine would. Actually a lot of superheroes would, mentally, but a lot of people are implied as not being able to. Especially without a good reason.

Wolverine is also a cynic. When everyone is being laid back and inoffensive, having someone be aggressive can be very interesting. Boredom is when literally every character is the same. Diversity can create preferences but boredom? Personally of course. I find Wolverine boring lol, but for other reasons. 

Oh he is a berserker with an iconic look as well. Anyway, mot just Wolverine, many characters similar to him are also very popular. Vegeta comes to mind. Anti-hero traits as well. That opens up a fairly broad category. 
    ebaben3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ebaben3
    @SC:  well put. The movies have added a lot to his popularity as well.
    Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By The Devil Tiger

@SC:
    If my wife wasn't so awesome, I would marry you.

This is exaclty why I love Wolverine, even if I admit he's overused.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @SC said:
    "
    ..Anyway, mot just Wolverine, many characters similar to him are also very popular. Vegeta comes to mind. Anti-hero traits as well. That opens up a fairly broad category. 
    "
    this more so than anything else, especially in the time period he became really popular, the Batman and Crow films has hit, and anti-hero characters and themes in comics became more and more desirable. Most people, not all, but most want to be like the surely bad-ass who takes out his opponents lethally and looks kewl doing it, and Wolverine fit the bill. especially at the time his popularity soared, Wolverine was one of the very few characters that was this killer type in a superhero book, and the X-Men, making him somewhat different (sums up Deadpools current claim to fame as well,
    simply he's not the same as the others). Gambit and Bishop became the next to ride the opposing character train, as well as Cable and X-Force, all enjoying huge success for it, as were books at the
    time of the same vein like Punisher, Terror Inc, Deaths Head, Spawn, ect. In an interview with Mike Carey (i wish i could find) he explains how this fad came, but then went as comics themselves become a bit more mature, and all characters followed suit, thereby making said rebel characters no longer original. Wolverine had however established a ginormous enough fanbase that he was in no danger of losing any limelight, nor will be any time soon.
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By castleking

cyclops explains it the best

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Billy Batson

He's still popular?

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#14  Edited By AssertingValor
    @weaponmaster said:
    "

Adamantium is interesting

Healing factors are interesting

Claws that pop out of your forearms/hands

Mutants are interesting

Wolverine is a great name and fits him well because of the claws and senses and his size and powerset.

These things plus a lot more make him an interesting character. he has just been over-used.

"

this........................
    Cosmic_Falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cosmic_Falcon

Because Wolverine was arguably the most popular character of the 90's where the antihero archtype hit it's peak popularity.  It's the same reason why characters like Punisher and Lobo became popular. 

jom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jom

He is popular because some readers can relate to him.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Caligula
    @castleking said:

cyclops explains it the best

lol.
    Dh4niel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Dh4niel

Out of all the X-Men, I think Wolverine has the most interested back story. The most in-depth one anyway. He's a character that portrays himself as a gruff loner, but really just wants to be part of something meaningful. Which many people can relate to. He does and says his own thing, but when it comes down to it he's reliable. He's a virtually indestructible killing machine. What's not to like?

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gravitypress

He is cool when you are young as you get older he lacks substance.

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Matezoide2

``badass``guy that doesnt takes order from the ``boyscout``,has claws poping from his hands and is prety much immortal?

you can see why that appeals to teenagers
    same with Batman,only take out ``has claws poping from his hands and is prety much immortal`` and put ``normal guy with a bunch of gadgets and that can do anything with 5 minutes of prep``

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.