Who thinks Wolverine is Marvel Comics main guy & not Spider-man?

#1 Posted by jhazzroucher (16133 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I know Spider-man's films have been doing well, but in comics, Wolverine seems to have a better role and more appearances and panels even if Spider-man is on it, just like AvX.

Wolverine seems to represent Marvel more on marvel vs capcom games too.

So you think Marvel Comics main guy is Wolverine?

#2 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

No

Spiderman, Marvel's big three, Hulk, then Wolverine.

#3 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

No

This

#4 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13401 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol no.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (12977 posts) - - Show Bio

Not the top guy....but it is odd how he does appear in more titles than any other character and he has been featured in the most Marvel video games, and is very well known around the world

#6 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman all day

#7 Posted by handsome_stud (272 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with original ... wolverine is the most popular now..........

before ironman, etc. came out, x-men was way more popular than any avenger

#8 Posted by Tank. (2065 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro said:

Spiderman all day

#9 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

In the late 2000s he definitely was. Hugh Jackman's portrayal definitely helped skyrocket his popularity. But now it's Spider-Man again. As it should be.

#10 Edited by jhazzroucher (16133 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Not the top guy....but it is odd how he does appear in more titles than any other character and he has been featured in the most Marvel video games, and is very well known around the world

True!

@Blood1991 said:

No

I actually put Wolverine on second place than Hulk. But then again, i can't blame if some peole think Wolverine is marvel's main guy since he's more popular than Spider-man in video games and prolly on comics too.

#11 Posted by SmashBrawler (5949 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

No

This is correct, especially after The Avengers

#12 Posted by TDK_1997 (14985 posts) - - Show Bio

NO!

#13 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel isn't going to have their "main guy" be someone that decapitates people on a regular basis.

Not really the image of heroics they want to project.

#14 Posted by SoA (4919 posts) - - Show Bio

i like wolverine he is without a doubt my favorite marvel character , but spider-man is marvels mascot

#15 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14945 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

i like wolverine he is without a doubt my favorite marvel character , but spider-man is marvels mascot

yes he is.

#16 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29509 posts) - - Show Bio

GTFO.

#17 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

spider man is still more popular among the non readers

#18 Posted by Jeanniebird (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent said:

spider man is still more popular among the non readers

That's true, there much more memorabilia for Spider-Man than for Wolverine. You have to search specifically for it.

#19 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, please stand up and make yourself known so that I might foam at you with apoplectic and impotent rage.

No, but seriously, Wolverine is pretty much the embodiment of the X-Men today and stands on equal footing with Spider-Man in the eyes of the general audience. If they suddenly announced that Wolverine was renouncing his Canadian citizenship it'd be in the news just like any of the big Spider-Man status quo shifts.

#20 Posted by SC (13212 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

Yes, please stand up and make yourself known so I that might foam at you with apoplectic and impotent rage.

No, but seriously, Wolverine is pretty much the embodiment of the X-Men today and stands on equal footing with Spider-Man in the eyes of the general audience. If they suddenly announced that Wolverine was renouncing his Canadian citizenship it'd be in the news just like any of the big Spider-Man status quo shifts.

I agree with this sentiment.  

Its a pretty interesting and cool question too depending on how you wish to view it, even if the answer seems simple, its interesting to know about the reasoning behind any answer. In quite a few different countries, character popularity tends to differ. In my particular country characters like Spider-man and Superman don't seem to have quite the same impact as they do in say the United States where as Batman and the X-Men seem to translate better culturally. Naturally my country is a lot smaller than America as far as Marvel and DC comic book readership though as most countries naturally tend to be. Then there is what Marvel itself thinks. How do they define who their top character is? For a business they would probably want options in the sense as far as appealing to as many different types of people as possible, at the same time there are benefits to having certain characters that you can market or fall back on as far as regarding as being the embodiment of a company and so could that character be viewed as the main guy (character) of the business? How about things like mediums? The characters villains? Even the definitions at play here and what might be constituted as the main guy. Anyway I think Spider-man is still Marvel's main guy, it reminds me of Batman and Superman actually, since I find that harder to call, but as far as the international cultural zeitgeist and future I can see Batman's character having greater influence than Superman's. As far as how perceptions change and fluctuate and develop (on small and large scales)       
#21 Posted by jhazzroucher (16133 posts) - - Show Bio

I also remembered the trailer of avengers battle for earth which showed Wolverine first , fighting against Venom. Then Spider-man showed second, with Storm appearing next.

#22 Posted by Jayso4201 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he is the main guy, but I believe he is pushed in our face so much that you would beleive he is. IMO, he was more popular to the comic book fans before Brian Singer got ahold of him (that guy has a knack for ruining great characters if you ask me). I think the movies have brought him more into the spotlight, as in more of the general populace knows who he is now, but to the world at large he will never be on par with characters like Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman. I remeber the first time I saw the old canuckle-head, I had never before seen a a charater like him and I think that's why in the 80's and 90's he was so popular with us fanboys. The people who make movies, games, toys, etc. recognized this and now we have an over-saturation of him. I personally don't care to much for Logan these days, but loved him back in the day and believe that is why we see so much of him now.

#23 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6465 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is second to Spider-Man in all areas; insofar as popularity with comic book aficionados, general public, and mainstream cash cow (just look at the money Spider-Man's films generate compared to Wolverine).

He's gaining ground, but still second to Parker.

#24 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

I also remembered the trailer of avengers battle for earth which showed Wolverine first , fighting against Venom. Then Spider-man showed second, with Storm appearing next.

too many people don't understand wolvie, I constantly facepalm whenever people go "oh you mean that guy with the metal claws on his gloves" At least spiderman is popular enough that people understand most of his powers. I would rate iconic characters as follows

1. Spiderman

2. Captain america

3. Hulk

4. Wolverine

three and two are close

#25 Posted by Blackice709 (720 posts) - - Show Bio

Indeed, Wolverine is everywhere lol... he's even gonna be in the new avengers comic that comming out October 10! :D

#26 Posted by Black_Claw (3007 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, Spidey is always gonna be Marvel's flagship character.

#27 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

US always like Darker version of Marvel...like MoonKnight

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.