Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16078 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Whats so great about Wolverine?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I wanna like him but he just seems like a brute from what my dad has told me. (my dad loves wolvie but he also has some slight mental/emotional issues since his time in the marines) my idea of wolverine is just an angry stand-offish violent jerk. but with that being said I want to like him. but I just cant get there. What do you guys like about him. what are the best wolvie stories? what makes him resonate with you? thanks in advance

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You know I use to like him, he was a bad ass but then all the X-Men movies came out and for some reason it made me stop liking him. I think its the over exposure that killed him for me, hes in what seems like every Marvel comic these days. But this is pretty much the opposite of what you asked.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

He was the first actual anti-hero. Kind of reinventing a lot the comic genre in a way, well, the writers utilized him to do so. Lots of of comic characters were kind of boy scouts, although they had darker stories and styles they still had pretty good moral conduct, Wolverine was one of the first characters that broke that mold.

Over the past decade or so Marvel has overused him to the point he is not interesting anymore. They try to put him on every team, and have him be on par with the likes of Spder-Man and Captain America, and apparently he can do anything and is nearly invincible at this point...which is lame.

Read anything from the 80s with Wolverine in it...there is a reason his character became so famous in that decade.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Everything!!!!!!!!!

NICK31898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

I wanna like him but he just seems like a brute from what my dad has told me. (my dad loves wolvie but he also has some slight mental/emotional issues since his time in the marines) my idea of wolverine is just an angry stand-offish violent jerk. but with that being said I want to like him. but I just cant get there. What do you guys like about him. what are the best wolvie stories? what makes him resonate with you? thanks in advance

Well, he is the toughest superhero there is. He feels, and endures any pain, including getting shot, but ignores it. The jerk is his charactar, he can't get attatched to people, because, he knows he is going to see them die one day, and he will live on.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@sog7dc said:

Well, he is the toughest superhero there is. He feels, and endures any pain, including getting shot, but ignores it. The jerk is his charactar, he can't get attatched to people, because, he knows he is going to see them die one day, and he will live on.

that's a really well said synopsis of the character....I bet you did well on those English papers where you hadto be succinct huh? lol

Thorverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a fearless loner, who also can be the ultimate team player.

He's relentless and has a dark sense of humor.

His mutation requires him to "in-fight", usually against far superior adversaries. This leads to very dramatic battles that usually end with an improbable victory.

His lack of self regard somehow inspires others to achieve more.

Despite his outer shell, he actually cares greatly for the underdog, be it a person or a cause.

And he calls people "Bub".

vicioushero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was the first actual anti-hero. Kind of reinventing a lot the comic genre in a way, well, the writers utilized him to do so. Lots of of comic characters were kind of boy scouts, although they had darker stories and styles they still had pretty good moral conduct, Wolverine was one of the first characters that broke that mold.

Over the past decade or so Marvel has overused him to the point he is not interesting anymore. They try to put him on every team, and have him be on par with the likes of Spder-Man and Captain America, and apparently he can do anything and is nearly invincible at this point...which is lame.

Read anything from the 80s with Wolverine in it...there is a reason his character became so famous in that decade.

Not even close to being the first anti-hero. To the OP sorry kid but your dads wrong Wolvie is lame. Specifically in the direction they've taken him in since Shism

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a fearless loner, who also can be the ultimate team player.

He's relentless and has a dark sense of humor.

His mutation requires him to "in-fight", usually against far superior adversaries. This leads to very dramatic battles that usually end with an improbable victory.

His lack of self regard somehow inspires others to achieve more.

Despite his outer shell, he actually cares greatly for the underdog, be it a person or a cause.

And he calls people "Bub".

very well put bro......especially that last one lol

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Raw_Material

Admantium claws, strongest and most durable metal in the world? Hmm yea.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wolverine represents two things.

1. Never giving up. Throughout his life, Wolverine has had all of women he has loved killed in front of him, had his memory wiped, and been tortured through elicit government experiments that brainwashed him into an animal. He also struggles to keep his animal like instincts under control. Even through all this, Wolverine has never given up and decided to become evil like a life like his would tempt most people. Wolverine also represents not giving up in the way he fight's. No matter how much bigger or stronger you are than Wolverine, hell never give up in a fight until you put him down.

2. Wolverine represents redemption and becoming a better person. Even though Logan is at heart a good person, he has done many morally questionable things throughout his life because of being confused about who he was, and if he could truly be good, and ran with clandestine military blacks ops teams that did bad things. Wolverine is haunted by all these things, and is always trying to make up for past deeds. This is why he is so connected to the concept of samurai. He sees how samurai preserve through all things, and always act like honorable men, and that's what keeps Wolverine going. The idea that one day he can be that truly honorable samurai he longs to be. IGN said it best when they said that "Wolverine is a failed samurai that is trying to atone for his many sins knowing full well that he can't". Now mind you, Wolverine occasionally messes up, and does questionable things, but he never let's that deter him from his goal of being an honorable man.

This is what makes him cool to me, and all the badassness, and the indestructible claws and skeleton help too.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@wolverine08: lol, I was waiting to see how you'd react to this thread. And I second that post.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@sog7dc: Its more the current era that can't decide what they want to do with him, originally he was a great mysterious character. He was a bad ass but not the biggest bad ass and he was actually a skilled combatant. Now days they treat him like a human buzz saw.

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By QueenCorp15

Wolverine is one of the most iconic/famous superheroes in the world an the face of the xmen the most famous team book of all time

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By HumanRocket

He's constantly trying to redeem himself for all his past sins and despite being looked as a animal he pushes on and makes the hard decisions that most heroes wouldn't make.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hated him at first but im starting to warm up to him

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By cameron83

I love Wolverine. I REALLY use to hate him when I knew nothing about him. Then again,I felt the exact same way about Marvel.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

1. Never giving up. Throughout his life, Wolverine has had all of women he has loved killed in front of him, had his memory wiped, and been tortured through elicit government experiments that brainwashed him into an animal. He also struggles to keep his animal like instincts under control. Even through all this, Wolverine has never given up and decided to become evil like a life like his would tempt most people. Wolverine also represents not giving up in the way he fight's. No matter how much bigger or stronger you are than Wolverine, hell never give up in a fight until you put him down.

2. Wolverine represents redemption and becoming a better person. Even though Logan is at heart a good person, he has done many morally questionable things throughout his life because of being confused about who he was, and if he could truly be good, and ran with clandestine military blacks ops teams that did bad things. Wolverine is haunted by all these things, and is always trying to make up for past deeds. This is why he is so connected to the concept of samurai. He sees how samurai preserve through all things, and always act like honorable men, and that's what keeps Wolverine going. The idea that one day he can be that truly honorable samurai he longs to be. IGN said it best when they said that "Wolverine is a failed samurai that is trying to atone for his many sins knowing full well that he can't". Now mind you, Wolverine occasionally messes up, and does questionable things, but he never let's that deter him from his goal of being an honorable man.

This is what makes him cool to me, and all the badassness, and the indestructible claws and skeleton help too.

THIS!!! Plus it's kinda cool to see a '5"4 guy be the toughest guy around.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because he's the best at what he do...and that's not running a school.

i like him more when he's working with scott since he's suppose to do what scott could not possible do.

theendgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sideburns and his heihachi haircut!

rugrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rugrat

hes has a very complex history he has some of the the simplest powers he,s the embodiment of the struggle between sanity and insane rage.

there not much i can describe but to make it short wolverine is just a well crafted character who has been around a long time if you dont like him you dont like him because one cant really convince another to like a character but to start try to read some more wolverine comics if you haven't read any

TheWolverine04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's Wolverine.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My exposure to Wolverine is limited to movies and only a couple comics as I don't read any marvel, but from what I have seen he seems pretty badass and interesting.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Lol, thanks man. I put a lot of thought into what my favorite character represents, and Logan is pretty complex. Plus, he's the GODDAMN WOLVERINE!

RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wolverine008

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Wolverine decided that he wanted to take Batman's line, and Batman ain't gonna do nothing about it. You want to know why? Because if Wolverine wants to call himself the GODDAMN WOLVERINE, he'll call himself the GODDAMN WOLVERINE!

RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Yeah, the GODDAMN BATMAN is TOTALLY gonna let a wimpy midget with claws and anger-issues steal his line. I mean, really? Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? DO YOU KNOW WHO HE IS????? HE'S THE GODDAMN BATMAN!!!

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Wolverine decided that he wanted to take Batman's line, and Batman ain't gonna do nothing about it. You want to know why? Because if Wolverine wants to call himself the GODDAMN WOLVERINE, he'll call himself the GODDAMN WOLVERINE!

funny.

@wolverine08: Yeah, the GODDAMN BATMAN is TOTALLY gonna let a wimpy midget with claws and anger-issues steal his line. I mean, really? Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? DO YOU KNOW WHO HE IS????? HE'S THE GODDAMN BATMAN!!!

double funny.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@wolverine08 said:

THIS!!! Plus it's kinda cool to see a '5"4 guy be the toughest guy around.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

He's also the only 5'4 guy around that fights 9 feet tall 2400 pound Green Rage Monster occasionally.........Plus he's the Best There Is at what he does and what he does isn't very nice.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#31  Edited By Extremis

@sog7dc:

what I love about him is that he's this hardened shell of a man, not because he's a jerk, but because he's lived so long, experienced so much pain and so much loss that he has a hard time letting people in. He lives for essentially what feels like an eternity, so he's really forgotten more horrific and traumatic events than we could ever fathom experiencing ourselves.

But all that being said, underneath that manbeast exterior lies a man with an earnest heart with the honor of a samurai. That's what resonates with me about him. Logan's hurts are DEEP. All his best stories showcase this dichotomy of a hardened ronin with a vast history of emotional earnestness.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.