What is Wolverine's Martial Arts skill level at?

• 51 results
#1 Edited by Yamata (49 posts) - - Show Bio

How good is Wolverine at Martial Arts and where is he ranked in fighting abilities??

I've read somewhere he has mastered almost all martial arts but I think this might be wrong source.

#2 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

7 on Marvel's scale and easily one of their best. I consider him above the likes of Captain America and Daredevil by a slight margin.

#3 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

7 on Marvel's scale and easily one of their best. I consider him above the likes of Captain America and Daredevil by a slight margin.

Agreed on the former for sure.

#4 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

i always see wolverine more hand-to-hand than martial arts, i think the martial arts he knows are that taught by ogun

#5 Posted by TDK_1997 (14642 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine should be one of the best martial artists in the Marvel Universe but writers never show us his martial artist part.

#6 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Agreed, he's arguably the world's greatest mortal fighter. His only true rivals in hand-to-combat are Cap, Iron Fist, Daredevil, and Taskmaster.

#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@god_spawn said:

Agreed, he's arguably the world's greatest mortal fighter. His only true rivals in hand-to-combat are Cap, Iron Fist, Daredevil, and Taskmaster.

This, plus Shang-Chi and Elektra.

#8 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@god_spawn said:

Completely forgot about Shang-Chi (not surprising).

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@god_spawn said:

Completely forgot about Shang-Chi (not surprising).

Don't sweat it. He's completely forgettable, lol.

#10 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I don't Elektra is in the same league as Wolverine. Shang-Chi should be but he gets a lot more hype than he deserves, he doesn't really have the feats to make him as good as he is supposed to be or said to be. (Not that he is a terrible fighter, he isn't.)

@ApatheticAvenger: From a skill standpoint there are probably more. Black Panther is a contender, Daken is, and Gorgon to mention a few more. (Considering he said it was useless trying to fight him IIRC.)

#11 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Forgot about Panther as well, he's definitely in the top ten. Daken and Gorgon are also exceptionally skilled.

In no particular order, the best Marvel fighters (in my opinion):

• Wolverine
  • Captain America
  • Daredevil
  • Black Panther
  • Deadpool
  • Taskmaster
  • Iron Fist
  • Daken Akihiro
  • Black Widow
  • Bucky Barnes
#12 Posted by FourthDeity (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

" I'm the best there is at what I do."

#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

This, plus Shang-Chi

Wolverine curbstomped him.
#14 Posted by Yamata (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there any specific Wolverine comic where you see him use his martial arts skills?

#15 Posted by Recoil1985 (521 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Agreed. Unfortunately, it's not every day we see him display the skill. Healing factors make people lazy, lol.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't even need MA skills, it's redundant 

#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Hasn't Elektra bested him before, or... eh, I'm probably remembering it wrong. Don't care enough to look it up.

@Vance Astro: Eh. It's Shang-Chi. The one thing he's good at is martial arts. I'd think he'd at least be somewhere on the high end of the spectrum...

#18 Edited by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: If you're referring to Enemy of the State, then no. Elektra fought Wolverine when she had dozens of guards with her for help. The most she did was get him with her sais after they dogpiled Logan IIRC and she stuck them in a nerve cluster to keep him from moving. A bomb exploded and that sent her flying off of him which Logan was up instantly after. It was something along those lines but no she hasn't beaten him.

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@god_spawn said:

@Gambit1024: If you're referring to Enemy of the State, then no. Elektra fought Wolverine when she had dozens of guards with her for help. The most she did was get him with her sais after they dogpiled Logan IIRC and she stuck them in a nerve cluster to keep him from moving. A bomb exploded and that sent her flying off of him which Logan was up instantly after. It was something along those lines but no she hasn't beaten him.

That sounds more like a win because of his powers rather than his skill 
#20 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

Still white belt unfortunately.

only joking, He must be pretty advanced but not on Batman level.

#21 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106 said:

He is on Batman's level. The only difference is Bruce utilizes his skills more often making it a bit more consistent until Wolverine decides to use his.

#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@god_spawn said:

@htb106 said:

He is on Batman's level. The only difference is Bruce utilizes his skills more often making it a bit more consistent until Wolverine decides to use his.

Batman utilizes his skill more often but when it comes to fights against other skilled characters neither pass up the chance to showcase what they can do.Beating up a bunch of fodder on a regular basis doesn't look better on Batman's resume.
#23 Posted by cassiuss (44 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont really look at wolverine as a great martial artist cuz like someone else pointed out,you never see him use it,he's a brawler its just that the healing factor gives him an edge.Good fighter yes but martial artist...hell no

#24 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@cassiuss said:
you never see him use it,he's a brawler its just that the healing factor gives him an edge.
But if you read enough comics with him in it , you do see him use it..so this would be false. And how isn't he a martial artist when there have been several depictions of his martial arts training?
#25 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Good point actually.

#26 Edited by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

If Wolverine was as awful of a fighter as some tend to think he wouldn't even be able to face half his rogue gallery.

#27 Posted by BatWatch (2558 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a Wolverine fan, but I've never seen him do anything all that impressive in the martial arts department. I know he did some training in Japan, but I've always seen him as mostly a brawler. If he is really a good martial artist, he should avoid getting cut to pieces more often.

I see from Wolverine fans though that I am probably wrong in my view of him.

#28 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@god_spawn said:

If Wolverine was as awful of a fighter as some tend to think he wouldn't even be able to face half his rogue gallery.

That's what I was thinking because not only to many of them have superhuman attributes and healing factor of their own but many of them are top level fighters themselves.
#29 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

FOR THE DOUBTERS:

#30 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@god_spawn said:

That's what I was thinking because not only to many of them have superhuman attributes and healing factor of their own but many of them are top level fighters themselves.

And skill is precisely how Wolverine does so well. People need to realize when half of the people he fights do have the healing factors, adamantium, carbonadium and stats that are often over his by a little or some margin, a punch or kick isn't gonna do it so he replaces them with claw strikes. And the people that just say he possesses a stat edge over or on par with his opponents fail to mention that Wolverine possesses little to no stat edge in terms of strength, speed, and agility over a lot of people he fights. Wolverine is mainly known for fighting people who possess stat edges over him. It's pretty much the opposite.

#31 Posted by UberForeigner (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Taking in Marvel's review of how good he is at fighting and looking at both films and comics (some comics) I'd give him a rainbow belt, don't know why but it sounds like Wolverine. Don't you guys think? :P

@htb106 said:

I'm sure with his long life span as well as being to Japan with the White Samurai or whatever his name is would of turned Wolverine to a better fighter than Batman. Yes the healing factor does turn him slightly lazy sometimes but still, I would of thought Wolverine to be one of the finest. By the way is there any wolf based martial arts? If so then that must be Wolverines style :L

#32 Posted by Agiyosi (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine was one of the books I used to read back in the day. Most are right in that artists just haven't depicted him using his hand-to-hand combat skills as frequently as they probably should, but he is shown at times and referred to as being a very accomplished martial artist. This coupled with his mutant physical attributes easily distinguish him as an extremely formidable fighter.

I don't think he is tops. He seems to be about on Cap's level. Both are very nuts-and-bolts, militaristic hand-to-hand combatants. Batman seems like a greater skilled martial artist to me. Just his personality and purposed travels to study and master so many styles seem to indicate this, but it's sort of splitting hairs, I think. I don't know much about him, but from what I've read and seen people comment, Iron Fist seems about tops.

#33 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is probably the best martial artist in Marvel Universe.

#34 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

I have to disagree with everyone who think Elektra isn't up there. I agree she's pretty much a Z-lister now, but when it comes to martial arts, she's got it covered.

I agree Elektra is solid MA fighter but I don't see her being in Wolverine's league. She's probably a few tiers below IMO.

#35 Posted by MKMarvelDCfan4life (256 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine. I'm sure not one of the Tekken character would beat him.

#36 Posted by Dark_Slayor (212 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Wolverine is the best Martial Artist on Marvel Earth. The man is crazy skilled, and I hate it when writers just pass him off as a punching bag. He embrassed Shang Chi, and bested Ironfist(Granted it was just a sparring match and neither fighter was going all out, but both took it seriously as to see who was better).

#37 Edited by mrplease (2 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd put him at the top of marvel or dc. not saying he's better then the others mentioned but i'd put him as at least equal if not better than most of the best of the best...

#38 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6092 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: i know this is a marvel thread but would batman be above or equal to cap on the list

#39 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8768 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is at least #4-5 on the rankings of marvel's best martial artists. He's easily better then Cap skill wise. As for comparing him to Batman skill level is likely similar. Bruce Wayne is just flat out smarter and more tactical. But actual skill is likely about the same.

#41 Posted by nickzambuto (13307 posts) - - Show Bio

Is a 7 rating really enough to call Wolverine one of the best fighters in the entire Marvel U? I've seen very few actual feats that put him on Cap and DD's level.

#42 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering Cap couldn't beat a hampered Wolverine twice and Logan disarmed easily in their latest encounter, he's above Cap.

#43 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

He doesn't even need MA skills, it's redundant
#44 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yamata: I'd say pretty low

most of his martial arts showings constitute on him wailing like an animal and not carefully using anything taught to him.

Here is a neat quote from Tvtropes to explain what I mean

Wolverine can sometimes fall into this category in regards to his martial arts training. He's said to be one of the most formidable fighters in the Marvel universe but 90% of his attacks involve simply jumping at his opponents and slashing him/her with his claws: a move anyone with two legs and claws can perform. He often lacks the finesse of other comic martial artists such as Captain America or Bat Man. It doesn't help that, due to his Healing Factor, he is much more likely to get shot, stabbed, and otherwise mutiliated by common mooks. Sure, he gets better almost immediately but it can make him look less skilled than his peers who rarely even get touched by mooks.

A simple jab with claws extended should do the trick actually

We should be seeing more of that and less flailing to be honest

#45 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

The lack of knowledge on Wolverine's MA ability is kind of disturbing.

#46 Edited by BlackWind (5955 posts) - - Show Bio

When nearly nothing can kill you and you have 100+ years of fighting experience, you don't need to know 50 different martial arts.

Especially when your general strategy is to charge your enemy and hack it to death.

#47 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously --- does anyone actually want to learn? Wolverine is top tier in regards to martial arts skill level - its quite clear.

If I had a gun and was the Queen of krav maga, I would still use the gun to kill you if it was a fight to the death. Besides, it more fun on panel to see Wolverine hack and slash rather than incorporate his martial arts skills -- that's why you don't see it much. Takes nothing away from his abilities.

#48 Posted by 3rdClawtotheleft (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Seriously --- does anyone actually want to learn? Wolverine is top tier in regards to martial arts skill level - its quite clear.

If I had a gun and was the Queen of krav maga, I would still use the gun to kill you if it was a fight to the death. Besides, it more fun on panel to see Wolverine hack and slash rather than incorporate his martial arts skills -- that's why you don't see it much. Takes nothing away from his abilities.

while i do think it's cool to see him hack and slash i do think there should be moments with it.

#49 Posted by CF12793 (2991 posts) - - Show Bio

My theory of Wolverine being a "master of every fighting style on earth" is this:

Okay, so wolverine is what, 125 years old? In all that time, he's fought hundreds of people, maybe thousands. Because of all this experience, he's been able to try every single technique/thing he can think of probably about a dozen times. He's thrown hundrends of thousands of kicks, jabs, crosses, hooks, basically every single combination ever, so all this time spent fighting would add up to every single style. That's a theory, though. Kind of like how Batman is a master of ALL martial arts because he mastered 127 styles and can use them all effectively.

#50 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

He should be a top tier martial artist with his background, but between relying on his healing factor and general anger management issues, he tends to just brawl for the most part. Not sure how much of his prior training was lost with all the memory wipes over time but he still should have more experience and skills than just about anyone.

Based on how he is written he looks like a brute with some classes at the YMCA, usually just wading into bodies and slashing away.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.