What happened to Wolverines metal knuckle sliders?

#1 Posted by dementedtheclown (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Just got this comic pictured for free, and thought hmm the little sliders for his claws are attached to his skin not gloves, what ever happened to that?

So now there is 4 variations of Wolverines claws, this one, one without sliders, bone claws, and movie style.

p.s. anyone have a clue what 9.4 might be worth??

#2 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

They were originally part of his hand and they just kind of disappeared I guess they figured no one would notice because I can't remember any explanation for their disappearance

#3 Posted by Dakens son (433 posts) - - Show Bio

what is the difference between those without sliders and the movie style?

#4 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dakens son said:

Hm?

#5 Edited by maikkywin (100 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand the point of the sliders in the first place .

#6 Posted by The Stegman (24486 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand the point of the sliders in the first place .

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@maikkywin: Well originally the claws were intended to be part of the gloves instead of part of his body so it made sense as of his first appearance. It wasn't until later that they decided he was a mutant and of course for years prior to Magneto yanking out his adamantium it was said that weapon X added them, until they changed their minds and decided he was born with them so now the metal on his hands makes no sense

#8 Posted by danhimself (22565 posts) - - Show Bio

@dementedtheclown said:

Just got this comic pictured for free, and thought hmm the little sliders for his claws are attached to his skin not gloves, what ever happened to that?

So now there is 4 variations of Wolverines claws, this one, one without sliders, bone claws, and movie style.

someone gave you a CGC'd copy of Wolverine #1 for free????????

#9 Posted by darkwolverineUSMC (315 posts) - - Show Bio

I never noticed them to begin with... no wonder they were etched out.

#10 Posted by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he lost them when Magneto ripped out his adamantium and they just didn't put them back when they replaced it. They were so he wouldn't have to punch a hole through his had every time he popped his claws. I always thought they were cool.

#11 Posted by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dakens son said:

In the comics they are supposed to come out the back of his hand whereas in the movies they come out from between his knuckles, but now they usually come out between the knuckles in the comics too since it looked cool in the movie. Looks cooler coming out between the knuckles, but it would make using your fingers nearly impossible when the claws were popped.

#12 Posted by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@dementedtheclown said:

someone gave you a CGC'd copy of Wolverine #1 for free????????

#13 Posted by dementedtheclown (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: No it's only a PGX copy, I won it on an auction site that uses points instead of money. So in a way you can say I got it with 40 coke reward points, because thats what I auctioned off to get my points to win this.

#14 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by etragedy (1082 posts) - - Show Bio

I always liked them even at the time of the Wolverine mini-series they were not part of the gloves, but on his hands. It always sort of made sense to me that if you were designing a weapon on a cyborg (which is sort of what Wolverine is - except really just metal parts, no cybernetics) you would have well designed adamantium housings for the claws to slide in and out of and to add strength and stability to the base, allowing the user to slice through stronger stuff by taking pressure off the wrists. It always kind of bothered me that they took away the adamantium housings his claws became like a gun without a barrel to me.

#16 Posted by cattlebattle (12793 posts) - - Show Bio

I think when the movie cam out they got rid of unpractical things...or I guess it could depend on the artist

#17 Posted by Dakens son (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: May I help?

#18 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dakens son: I didn't understand your question, so I was wondering if you could rephrase it.

#19 Posted by dementedtheclown (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

@dementedtheclown: this one sold for 44 bucks just a couple days ago: http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=22580793

thats cool. I plan on keeping mine for a long while. will probably be my most valuable issue, besides my over 50$ trades lol

#20 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

@dementedtheclown said:

i know right that loser bradshaw did the same thing

#21 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Peter_Cosmic: you think it wouldnt be hard to move your fingers with them, coming out of the back of his hand?

Also lol, nice roundabout way to ask for a quote on your item XD

if you watch the old cartoon from the 90's, his claws never had the sheathes I guess you could call them, when he was out of costume. whenever he was in public in old or new comics he didnt have them

also...

he had bone claws back in the days before wolverine:origins, I forget where I saw it but it was stated they werent always adamantium nor made by weapon x. and movie claws and comic claws are same to me, just ones a movie..and ones art

#22 Edited by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio

@nonfiction91 said:

@The_Peter_Cosmic: you think it wouldnt be hard to move your fingers with them, coming out of the back of his hand?

Also lol, nice roundabout way to ask for a quote on your item XD

if you watch the old cartoon from the 90's, his claws never had the sheathes I guess you could call them, when he was out of costume. whenever he was in public in old or new comics he didnt have them

also...

he had bone claws back in the days before wolverine:origins, I forget where I saw it but it was stated they werent always adamantium nor made by weapon x. and movie claws and comic claws are same to me, just ones a movie..and ones art

I found a couple of diagrams that show internal views of how they were housed in his forearm traditionally in comics and how they appear in the movieverse.

Traditional Comic Book Positioning
Movieverse Positioning

Wolverine's claws have traditionally been housed in silicone sheaths separate from the radius and ulna, positioned superficially in relation to said bones. The traditional placement did not directly intersect with the radius, ulna, carpals, metacarpals, or phalanges of the hand. In the movieverse his claws are housed directly in between the radius and ulna and they travel directly between the carpal and metacarpal bones of the hand which is the path it would have to travel to come straight out of the knuckles, this would obviously majorly screw with the positioning of the phalanges and ruin a direct line of pull from the muscles of the hand and forearm.

#23 Posted by Dakens son (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Yeah!

How may I help you in your "hmm"?

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dakens son said:

You asked a question. I didn't understand the question you asked. Would you like to rephrase it?

#25 Posted by Dakens son (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Dakens son said:

You asked a question. I didn't understand the question you asked. Would you like to rephrase it?

Your previous comment was:"hm?".

SO my question is obviously:what do you mean by that?

#26 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dakens son said:

Your previous comment was:"hm?".

SO my question is obviously:what do you mean by that?

But you had a comment previous to that:

@Dakens son said:

#27 Posted by Dakens son (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Yeah towards the creator of this thread,because I can't understand where is the difference between movie claws and comic claws(those without sliders).

I have open eyes if you like to explain though.

#28 Edited by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio

I always wanted to ask this question but never got around to it. Those metal slider were a part of his hands. The purpose of them was to make wolverines claws come out less messy and more efficiently. They were tailored more to the wolverine that was more of a professional killer and martial artist, and they added more flash to the claws. The new wolverine is more about the animal and healing factor most of the time, rarely seen as a clean killer unless a particular artists chooses to portray him in that manner. Also the claws ripping through his knuckles and flesh became a great way to constantly show off wolverines healing factor, as well as to demonstrate wolverine's high threshold for pain.

There is a clear difference between the wolverine with the sliders and the one without. The one with the sliders was just cleaner, rarely got his bones burned off and was just plain more effective from a professional stand point. While the current wolverine would kill 30 men, make a bloody mess and come out looking the bloodiest after healing from 150 rounds he needlessly took. I actually miss the sliders, it reminded me of a time when wolverine was more of a pro and dodged bullets or deflected them more then he took them. He's just a monster now, all that skill on paper but rarely consistently shown.

#29 Posted by 1frankcastle4 (184 posts) - - Show Bio

very good point. i like the last statement.

#30 Posted by tomdickharry1984 (837 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha ha they just vanished...I blame Joe Quesadea! He took the cigars and the knuckle things

#31 Posted by Demonturtle (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Postacrat said:

I always wanted to ask this question but never got around to it. Those metal slider were a part of his hands. The purpose of them was to make wolverines claws come out less messy and more efficiently. They were tailored more to the wolverine that was more of a professional killer and martial artist, and they added more flash to the claws. The new wolverine is more about the animal and healing factor most of the time, rarely seen as a clean killer unless a particular artists chooses to portray him in that manner. Also the claws ripping through his knuckles and flesh became a great way to constantly show off wolverines healing factor, as well as to demonstrate wolverine's high threshold for pain.

There is a clear difference between the wolverine with the sliders and the one without. The one with the sliders was just cleaner, rarely got his bones burned off and was just plain more effective from a professional stand point. While the current wolverine would kill 30 men, make a bloody mess and come out looking the bloodiest after healing from 150 rounds he needlessly took. I actually miss the sliders, it reminded me of a time when wolverine was more of a pro and dodged bullets or deflected them more then he took them. He's just a monster now, all that skill on paper but rarely consistently shown.

Very nice!!!!!

#32 Posted by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio

@1frankcastle4: @Demonturtle: Thank you both very much, I try to make as much as sense as I can without falling on my face doing it lol.....

#33 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

The sliders looked stupid and simply got rid of them.

Popping out of the knuckles looks far better.

#34 Edited by bat22 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I myself liked those sliders/sheaths. While it meant wearing gloves to pass for a flatscan in public, it was a visible reminder of the Weapon X project turning Logan from a "plain" mutant w/ enhanced healing and senses into a living weapon.

I had no problem w/ the bone claws at first. But now I see them as rather unnatural, mainly for the gruesome / self-damaging effect of popping them out which you don't see w/ animals and their innate claws. In my revised Marvel Universe, the bone claws only came about after the original all-metal claws were lost. Logan's body somehow filling in for its missing articles while healing but in a more coarse fashion, hence the lack of a proper outlet.

I agree w/ Postacrat's "two Wolverines". At least w/ the creative teams after Fatal Attractions, Logan would eventually become a regular glutton for punishment. The nuclear bomb aside, he'd be the sort to line up in front of a whole firing squad to let his healing factor no-sell the damage. I think this started even before he got his adamantium back. Must be the Jackass factor.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.