What do you guys think of Wolverine as a character?

#1 Posted by PsychoJack (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Just curious on what other people think. I like him as the concept of him being an near-nigh indestructible antihero is pretty cool but he's too inconsistent and he seems a little overrated.

#2 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent character and awesome power-set and origin. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over-used though.

#3 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

That bastard!

#4 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly loved Wolverine's character and I think his best moments were in Chris Claremont's earlier runs of the "Wolverine" comics. Unfortunately, lately he is being used too much and his character seems to be all over the place to the point where you don't really know who he really is anymore.

#5 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Overexposed, overpowered, and inconsistent. Overall a great character that has suffered from his own popularity.

#6 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (614 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my favorite characters when he has the right writer behind him. Unfortunately, his portrayal recently has been a little too corny for my taste. I can't say I'm a big fan of Jason Aaron's writing. I am looking forward to reading Cornell's take on Wolverine though. And I might try Bendis' All-New X-Men when the trade comes out (I think I've heard that one features Wolverine as one of the main characters).

The best Wolverine writers that I have read are Chris Claremont, Larry Hama, Frank Tieri (he wrote Wolverine's solo book in the late 90s early 2000s), and Mark Millar. I also enjoyed Whedon's use of Wolverine as a supporting character in Astonishing X-Men and Rick Remender's portrayal of him as the leader of X-Force.

#7 Posted by nappystr8 (1043 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to like Wolverine as the gruff tiny berserker of the X-Men, but then he got bone claws, and then he got overexposed, and then he became entirely unkillable, after that he joined the Avengers (where he doesn't belong), and then he became headmaster of a school (...sigh). So then not so much. However, I must say, Bendis is starting to write the Wolverine I like again in All-New X-Men. He's basically just a rage filled bastard who is incapable of handling a situation in a rational or objective way who only shows up briefly to be the straight man for comic relief. And that's how it should be.

He also won't be on the teams of Uncanny X-Men, Adjectiveless X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, or Cable and X-Force. Thank goodness.

#8 Posted by judasnixon (6231 posts) - - Show Bio

You what's crazy? There was once a time when Wolverine was only in one book a month. He was a lot cooler back then.

#9 Posted by JakeN7 (11225 posts) - - Show Bio

My 2nd favorite comic book character.

My favorite story of his is Enemy of the State by Mark Millar and John Romita Jr.

I could write forever about what I like and don't like about him, but I'm too tired and too lazy. Besides, a lot of it has already been touched upon in previous comments.

#10 Posted by TDK_1997 (14474 posts) - - Show Bio

A great character that is overexposed and right now is suffering from Marvel's stipiddity.

#11 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer him as a gruff, mysterious anti-hero/leader of a death squad than a saintly headmaster Avengers member.

#12 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Overexposed, overpowered, self righteous, hypocrite, murderer. I used to like him some when he was written more to his original character not plugged in to every story possible

#13 Edited by Captain_Yesterday (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

Overexposed, overpowered, and inconsistent. Overall a great character that has suffered from his own popularity.

This

#14 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoJack: I think that in good hands he can be a well fleshed out character but all too often is allowed to be an invincible killing machine.

I think that Wolverine and the X-Men is an example of Wolverine done right (in my book)

#15 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Wolverine when I didn't know anything about him. Now that the mystery is gone he's not as interesting.

#16 Edited by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

A clusterf*** of good/bad characteristics and overexposured.

#17 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the most badass anti-heroes in comics who suffered from over-saturation and being on the Avengers.

#18 Posted by age_of_ultron_Prime2000 (1217 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29 said:

One of the most badass anti-heroes in comics who suffered from over-saturation and being on the Avengers.
#19 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome albeit over-used.

#20 Edited by time (4916 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is still X-Men best character, he still the most interesting. Over the last couple of years he hasn't been written well. Although .I'm enjoying Savage Wolverine.

#21 Posted by Guardian3712 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I've never cared much for him. He's got a bad attitude, rude, and really if you opportunity presents itself where he has to make a tough choice, he'll usually go with the option to kill someone violently. Although I'm a classic hero kind of guy (Like Spider-Man, Superman, etc.) so that's probably a huge part of it. I like the hero's who always try to make the right decision even though its not the easiest. Wolverine just seems to always wanna eliminate a situation rather then figure out the right thing to do.

#22 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2699 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is My fave marvel character, a man who has good intentions but Is broken. A nigh indestruvtible hero who is fighting his savage side.

#23 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't liked him in a long time. Overexposed, overpowered, sanctimonious hypocrite with no self control. He cries all the time about wanting to be the man not the beast, but he doesn't deny the urge to kill when it comes down to it. Killed his son, was going to assassinate a 16yo Hope, led a secret assassination team while posing as a school headmaster, always boasting about how he's the best at what he does, which seems to be killing people. But the P5 killing Xavier while possessed are the ones who are unforgivable to him and should be in jail

His enemies have been dumbed down. Sabretooth used to be scary, and kick his ass some. Now it seems he can take on a whole squad of cloned sabre's without batting an eye. That's dull.

As for his being the best at what he does, I'm not convinced. If he was so good he wouldn't get stabbed, burned, shot or whatever to hell each time he goes after someone. There seems to be some skill lacking in that approach. What he's good at is leading with his chin getting the hell blowed out of him then healing and keep coming. If he healed at a normal rate, would he survive most any of his encounters? That doesn't seem to take skill or courage.

He used to be interesting, with lots of potential, but they've overexposed and overpowered him. Now instead of following his stories I just want him to shut up, get called out for his hypocrisy and kicked out. Stop killing or stick to a team of bad asses who agree with that tough style (there seem to be plenty of X-forces to choose from, my favorite team actualy). He's no angel with a dirty face, he's a killer. Fight the bad guys fine, but don't play the saint

#24 Edited by Wolverine08 (38974 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3:

Wolverine isn't any more overexposed than any other top tier character like Batman. You don't seem to understand Wolverine. You say he says he doesn't want to be the animal but always kills. One of Wolverine's biggest regrets is that even though he wants to be a better person, he always ends up giving into his feral instincts. It causes him great guilt, and also regrettably feels he isn't good for anything else other than killing since he has all the tools to be a killer and has been forced to kill since was like 12.

#25 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Ill character with a compelling history, nice visual design, badass factor, and great stories. I may prefer Cyclops, but Logan's pretty cool too. A little unnecessarily overexposed at times yes, but there's a reason why he's the most popular X-character.

#26 Posted by God_Spawn (37382 posts) - - Show Bio

A berserker of rage. A soul of a samurai. Unbreakable bones and claws that have stabbed even Thanos before. One of the top martial artists in Marvel that even knows some alien weaknesses because why not? I've usually seen Logan as the kind of guy that tries to stop others from going through what he has and tries to get the kids he trains to not have to kill. More of a do as I say not as I do kind of deal since he is the one willing to get his hands dirty so the others don't.

#27 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool guy

#28 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3:

Wolverine isn't any more overexposed than any other top tier character like Batman. You don't seem to understand Wolverine. You say he says he doesn't want to be the animal but always kills. One of Wolverine's biggest regrets is that even though he wants to be a better person, he always ends up giving into his feral instincts. It causes him great guilt, and also regrettably feels he isn't good for anything else other than killing since he has all the tools to be a killer and has been forced to kill since was like 12.

Meh not a batman fan either, and I know some that I do like are overexposed, but wolverine is really to the nth degree these days. The bat's got a lot of titles, but they haven't retitled it to batman and the justice league yet And he's been feeling bad about killing since he was 12? Born in the 1880's so he's been regretting killing for 130 years or so. This guy's rate of personal growth is pretty damn slow. So if Sabretooth wails and moans about how bad he feels after slicing someone up, can he be a hero too? I know Creed's more psychopathic about it, but wolverine is still a damn killer, maybe serial. And if he felt so bad about it he wouldn't keep gassing on about being the best at what he does. Writers, please have him pick a side of the killing fence and stop preaching

#29 Posted by Wolverine08 (38974 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3:

Wolverine brags about being the best he does, but he secretly hates that he is incredible at killing. He has said so many times such as in Wolverine vol 5 #5.

#30 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3:

Wolverine brags about being the best he does, but he secretly hates that he is incredible at killing. He has said so many times such as in Wolverine vol 5 #5.

Well that kind of negative reinforcement is gonna slow down his path to inner peace

#31 Edited by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

"Overexposed."
Reminds me of a certain Dark Knight.

Either way, I agree. He is overexposed. Marvel does this frequently to decent characters. Deadpool had like, 9 titles out for him, with too many variants featuring him, they did it to Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Hulk, Blade.

Hell, Ghost Rider is an example of what happens when you overexpose a character TOO much. They just kinda fade a bit.

#32 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is awesome with awesome powers, good stories and a badass attitude

#33 Posted by Wolverine08 (38974 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3:

The point of Wolverine's character is that no matter how hard he tries, he'll never have inner peace. Whether it be Creed, his inability to completely control his killing instinct, his past, or his girlfriends always being killed, Wolverine will never be able to achieve the inner peace he covets. He is supposed to be tragic. And what I meant about Wolverine regretting killing was that he had his first kill at around the age of 12, when he killed his father in a feral rage.

#34 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Fine then he can have his angst if he'll stop spouting off and judging others who haven't killed 1/1000 of the people he has. Can't stand the hypocrisy. The whole thing with the P5 is so aggravating.

#35 Posted by Wolverine08 (38974 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3:

I know what your talking about with hypocrisy, but that's Wolverine written badly or PIS. He has said on multiple occasions that he can't judge people because he has done many bad things, so him being sanctimonious is extremely out of character.

#36 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: That's what I was trying to get at some posts back. Put him back in his element, loner or an x-force type team. Put his character back to what it was, stop making him invincible, not so many damn teams, and stop teaching the kiddies.

#37 Posted by Wolverine08 (38974 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3:

I think he can still teach at school because Wolverine is always trying to help and improve himself as a person. Also Wolverine should remain "invincible" he was created and given the tools to be the ultimate weapon.

#38 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Fine with the school, though I don't think someone with that many enemies should be the public face of a school. Gonna draw trouble. But no to invincible. He used to have a much more reasonable healing factor. Invincible with any character is boring. It's bad enough that characters don't stay dead

#39 Posted by PowerHerc (81712 posts) - - Show Bio

He's an absolute badass.

#40 Edited by HumanRocket (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

Love him his back story his personality his morals and values when it comes to doing the necessary things. The only thing is that the guy is in too many teams/comics. He gets over used too much.

#41 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2699 posts) - - Show Bio

He's an absolute badass.

that he is...........

#42 Posted by amonahanart (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Just getting into X-Men, and am sticking mainly with the classics (Uncanny X-Men and Wolverine (1988) at this point. I getting a feel for how Wolverine began and its being pretty consistent with development of the character. I have read a few "other" xmen comics with wolverine, but if the character feels off, I usually don't care for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.