Upcoming 'Wolverine' Movie Will Not Be A Sequel

• 106 results
Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio

We haven't posted a whole lot of information on the upcoming The Wolverine movie starring actor Hugh Jackman because, frankly, there hasn't been a whole lot of stuff to tell. That is of course aside from the fact that it will star Hugh Jackman as Logan once again, and is currently filming in Australia. That is, until, today.

Actor Hugh Jackman who is slated to reprise his role as Wolverine spoke to Coventry Telegraph recently revealing some insight and information on the overall plot of his upcoming film and how it will be connected to Fox's previous X-Men films. According to Jackman, The Wolverine film will not be a sequel to the previous film and will not feature many other mutants.

We've deliberately not called it Wolverine 2 because we want it to be placed and feel like a standalone picture. With an all-new cast and setting it in Japan, it's going to give us a whole new visual aesthetic...The approach to character means we won't be overloaded with mutants and teams and the like, so it'll be more character-based. I think in many ways it will feel like a completely different X-Men film.

So this movie won't be a direct sequel, and will primarily be a standalone movie about Wolverine the man, not so much the mutant. Do you think that a completely new direction for Wolverine is a good idea? It seems like a lot of changes are being made to the character and the franchise and that the filmmakers won't be relying too heavily on the success and associations with previous X-Men movies too much. With a completely new cast and crew, a new direction for Wolverine and a new setting (Japan) can you say whether you are looking forward to seeing The Wolverine?

Source: Coventry Telegraph

#1 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18832 posts) - - Show Bio

that's a good thing, XO:W was terrible , looking forward to this

#2 Posted by joshmightbe (24767 posts) - - Show Bio

The less connection to Origins the better, hell just pretend that movie never happened at all

#3 Posted by Sapphire Warlock (56 posts) - - Show Bio
are looking forward to seeing The Wolverine?

Nope.

#4 Posted by PortlandsBatman (210 posts) - - Show Bio

The last time I saw a comic book movie that had the same actor but revamped the character was Ghost Rider 2, and I hope this isn't another one of those.

#5 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the sound of this.

#6 Posted by mrsunshine93 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

so fingers crossed they are going to try to incorporate him into the Avengers 2!!!!!

#7 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. Not gonna watch it anyways...

#8 Posted by JamDamage (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

happy happy happy

#9 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

Its getting too complicated which films are related to which and which aren't >_<

#10 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

just looked at the cast. im not liking what im seeing.

#11 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank God!

#12 Posted by DerfelMacklin (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds great, anything that adds to the delegitimization of X3 and Origins is all right by me.

#13 Posted by EDfromRED (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of the Universal panning, I never bothered to see the first stand alone Wolverine flick. I have no expectations for this new stab-at -the-can, good or bad. Hopefully lessons were learned and the new movie is more intelligent and adult oriented.

It would be sad if Hugh Jackman's best recent Wolverine portrayal remains the X Men first class cameo

#14 Posted by TommyJohnCreenan (1 posts) - - Show Bio

While I liked Hugh Jackman in the first 3 X-Men films (Jackman not the movies), I'd rather see someone else play Wolverine for once. Especially since this film is supposedly separate from all the others, I'd like to see someone a little more reminiscent of the comic-book wolverine on screen. After XO:W though, I'm not too sure I'll be running out to see this

#15 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

At least it won't muck up the continuity of the X-Movies even further than they already have been.

#16 Posted by TheCannon (19472 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the point of making it if it has little or no connection to the first one?

#17 Posted by SupBatz (1855 posts) - - Show Bio

Fine with me. Just means I'll have to watch it with a different mindset than when I usually watch X-Men.

#18 Edited by Atary77 (72 posts) - - Show Bio

because why not!

#19 Posted by jaredbright (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh good. Calling the guy 'James' and giving him that silly pointless origin of his Canadian upbringing was not needed. I mean, who would think of something like? Surely not in the comic books. :)

#20 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3909 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

XO:W was horrible ,it almost made me cry because Logan is one of my favorites

#21 Posted by SoA (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

christian kane should be logan

#22 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

This is absolutely good news.

Staff
#23 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18832 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

This is absolutely good news.

agreed

@TheAmazingImmortalMan said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

XO:W was horrible ,it almost made me cry because Logan is one of my favorites

thats exactly why this being a stand alone movie is a good thing

#24 Posted by MilosRadmilac092 (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Hated what they did with the previous one, I love Japan, and I love Wolverine. It is a good direction to go, because the best Wolverine stories are about the man, not the mutant. And Wolverine + Japan = win in my book!! :)

#25 Posted by Inverno (13292 posts) - - Show Bio

This is alright news.

At least It cannot get any less awful... can't it?

#26 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1184 posts) - - Show Bio

this sounds good to me ignore the firstb wolverine film is great in my book but idk if ignoreing x-1 and 2 is good sinse those were good films. we will see.

#27 Posted by Inverno (13292 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

The less connection to Origins the better, hell just pretend that movie never happened at all

I heard the same thing about Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance, and we all know how that turned out...

#28 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

This piece of news makes me want to reconsider not watching it...

#29 Posted by jcbart (341 posts) - - Show Bio

Auuuergh. Why didn't Aronofsky stay on. It would have been a bloody glorious movie on par with Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy if Aronofsky made this film.

Damn bugger.

#30 Posted by blueninjapanther (672 posts) - - Show Bio

That's more better. I like comic movies that are usually based on the characters ad comics. I can't wait for this movie.

#31 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

After the disaster that was Wolverine, something as far different in direction as possible is likely a good idea

#32 Posted by ChaosBlazer (3930 posts) - - Show Bio

still wanna watch it!

#33 Posted by Killer_of_trolls (1851 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrsunshine93 said:

so fingers crossed they are going to try to incorporate him into the Avengers 2!!!!!

Fingers crossed for the exact opposite of that.

#35 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7968 posts) - - Show Bio

@jcbart said:

Auuuergh. Why didn't Aronofsky stay on. It would have been a bloody glorious movie on par with Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy if Aronofsky made this film.

Damn bugger.

So, so true.

#36 Posted by thenexusrebound (250 posts) - - Show Bio

To me this sounds like they know the new first class movie may reboot some aspects of the series. They just have to be coy about it. The fact they are thinking about a rated-R version excites me as well. I look forward to a character based film get to see what makes the character tick.

#37 Posted by mattwing87 (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@mrsunshine93 said:

Fingers crossed for the exact opposite of that.

Yeah Wolverine is cool and all but I've seen enough of him in movies

#38 Posted by irvine1345 (36 posts) - - Show Bio

im tired of wolverine all together! i see him too much. id enjoy him more with the other x-men characters...so the series wont be so linear

#39 Posted by ALFaLantern (16 posts) - - Show Bio

That touch me, they want us to forget X: Origins. I'm glad for that.

#40 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

People need to get it into their heads that Hugh Jackman is terrible as Wolverine. No good can come of this.

#41 Posted by ectoborge (209 posts) - - Show Bio

I love that it is set in Japan and the X-men first Class reboot was a success so I am going to trust them on this.

#42 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a good idea. So Wolverine is sort of getting a rebooted movie just with the same actor playing him in all the movies.

#43 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

Meh. Not gonna watch it anyways...

I'll probably watch it at some point, but its nothing I'll be rushing to the theater to see. I used to love Wolverine, but the last couple of years the character has kind of been ruined for me (not ALL Marvel's fault, my own tastes have changed as well) and I'm not crazy about this cast.

#44 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel just needs to go ahead and get the rights back to all of their characters

#45 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think this is a good idea. I loved Wolverine's story in Japan and I hope that it focuses on his love life with Mariko while fighting off ninjas and maybe it's better if the other X-men don't get involved in this film since they always seem to be shafted whenever Wolverine's in the film.

#46 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this sounds like a good idea, I just hope that it at least throws some verbal connections out there.

#47 Posted by GennTankian (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I cannot wait.. Since Hugh Jackman is Logan I will most definitely watch it. He is the only actor in my opinion that can be Wolverine.

#48 Posted by Tyrannotaur (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

Marvel just needs to go ahead and get the rights back to all of their characters

I agree. I'm surprised Disney isn't more concerned about this. You'd think they want to be making all their movies under the same studio. I did like Amazing Spider-man and X-men First Class though so its not all bad.

#49 Posted by Namor1987 (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Sunfire & Silver Samurai will probably be the antagonists.

#50 Posted by Wolverine0628 (369 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't really like X-Men: First Class, so I'm not disappointed that this movie won't be connected.  But it does seem weird that, after making such a successful Wolverine Origins movie, the franchise is distancing itself from the first movie. 

http://batgirlreview.blogspot.com/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.