Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16062 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

The Wolverine (film) discussion

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Wolverine released yesterday and I personally enjoyed the movie. I just want to know what everyone else felt, So what did you guys think? was it good? bad? what did you think of Jackman's performance? what did you think of the Silver Samurai? And did you catch the teaser scene for Days of Future Past?

biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I thought it was great, though we could have done without all the Jean Grey stuff(it had no point). Much better than Man of Steel storywise. And the actress playing Mariko was downright beautiful

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I feel like just with the first movie there were some good things and some bad things. Couldn't agree more that all the Jean Grey scenes were unnecessary. I keep my expectations of comic movies low because I just try to enjoy the fact that I'm getting to see these characters actually doing the amazing things they do on a big screen. I take real joy in seeing Cap smash a hydra/nazi soldier in the face with his shield or Logan guttin' some fools. Usually what I'm left with though is potential wasted. Wolverine in Japan fighting ninjas should have been a guaranteed awesome film but we end up with something that's just ok.

I've always liked Jackman as Wolverine. Of course they had to **** up Silver Samurai.

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biggkeem89:

yea I could've done without it or at least just once in the beginning just to show he still eels like sh!t after what happened to her. That actress was indeed beautiful. I did think the film was pretty good but I did like MoS better to be honest.

@irishx I thought it was more than ok, it isn't movie of the year or blockbuster of the summer obviously but I thought it was really good. I agree there should have been more Logan vs Ninja Swarms in the movie but it was definatley leagues better than origins IMO.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@irishx I thought it was more than ok, it isn't movie of the year or blockbuster of the summer obviously but I thought it was really good. I agree there should have been more Logan vs Ninja Swarms in the movie but it was definatley leagues better than origins IMO.

Well of course as a Wolverine die-hard fan I want it to be spectacular. More ninja killing but also things like seeing more of a real relationship developed and show between Wolverine and Mariko but instead I had stuff like the train scene fight which was absurd. I'll take what I can get from the hollywood folks but they can do a lot better is all. Outside of the whole Deadpool stupidity at the end of Origins there were some nice things in the movie. Liev was a great Sabretooth imo and I got to see Gambit in a movie (playing cards with Kid Poker). In the end I put them at about the same level.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

good: fight scenes, wolverine performed really well, i liked the twist at the end, post credit was awesome. the moment that i say the coins moving i was like magento!!, i liked the story

ok: viper, could have done more with her.

bad: i thought the silver samuri was entirely human.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Wolverine008

The final dream sequence with Jean reminded me of Wolverine vol 2 #176 when Wolverine had his healing factor cancelled out by a machine Sabretooth got from Weapon X. Wolverine died and meet Rose (His first lover ever that he killed by accident when he was a teenager). She talked to him about his life and tempted him to give up and die. Wolverine saw a couple of his enemies like Ogun and took them on with Colossus. Somewhat similar to The Wolverine.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I liked it. Good story, good action, good humor. Jackman did great too.

Im just curious on how Wolverine is going to get the Adamantium claws again.

and the after credits scene really excited me. Xavier and Magento are back and Sentinels are entering!!!

Markies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Markies

Havent seen it yet but i will soon. I just love Hugh Jackman's performance as Wolverine! (Actually i'm just a Hugh Jackman fan, as he seems to be a really nice down to earth guy)

odinblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought Hugh Jackman was great (again) as Logan. Did not like Silver Samurai. In the end the movie could have been a lot more than it was. 3/5 is about right. I don't know why they always try to do waaaaayy too much. Less would have been more in this movie (especially regarding the final 20 minutes). Loved the after credit scene

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biggkeem89: I agree with the Jean comment. It was useful once or twice, but after that it was really pointless.

Compared to other Comic book movies, Marvel/DC, I think this Wolverine was probably better than all except C.Nolan's Batman and Avengers.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

7/10 for me. It wasn't great, but it was good. The character development was pretty good with Wolverine and Hugh Jackson was clearly on the top of his game for this movie.

It did some things very well. I loved his interactions with Jean, her role in the movie was actually more than I had anticipated and I very much liked that.

I also LOVED his interactions with Yukio (red-haired future-seeing girl). It really showcases how well Jackman knows the character and how well he portays Wolverine. Wolverine IMO is always at his best when he's got younger people around him (Jubilee, Rogue, Yukio...etc,etc). The character is very protective and nature and those types of "side kicks" if you well just clearly bring out the best in him.

Yukio especially with her go-getter attitude and the fact that she very much looks up to him but won't put up with his BS...it just worked for me.

Unfortunately I didn't like the Mariko romance. I didn't feel a good amount of chemistry between them and honestly I didn't feel the romance part was needed. I think it would have been enough that Wolverine was so protective of her to get him out of his emotional shell without adding romance. The movie also really started to slow down when they tried to get too deep into telling that romance and it was just bleh overall.

And at the end? He was supposedly in love with her but still needed to leave Japan? Meh. I didn't feel the same amount of love from him with Mariko as I did with Jean. And the romance wasn't needed imo.

I also felt the Viper villain being a mutant was not needed. This film was suppose to be about Wolverine's isolation and I think it would have been better portrayed with no mutants whatsoever. Technically Yuiko was a mutant, but we never actually seen any powers from her so I didn't mind. Also the Silver Samurai being a giant robot was a little distracting. I think it could have been find if the guy was just in a suit of armor and more human-sized. Like Iron Man style.

I also felt the ninja scene was a little wasted opportunity.

And the post-credits scene? OMFG amazing. I am SO pumped up for X-Men: Days of Future Past because of that scene. It was brilliant.

Overall it was a solid movie and definitely better than X-Men origins. But I think in the future Fox should avoid solo mutant movies. X-Men is a team story and it just works better when they're teamed up. This movie definitely gets a A for effort though, but as I said at the top of the post...7/10 for me. Maybe 7.5. Good but not great...I probably won't bother seeing it again in theaters though.

TheWolverine04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm seeing it tomorrow! I hear there is a mid credits scene. Is there an after credits scene too?

Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really liked it. Story was great. One of the only 2 movies I was excited for all year and I enjoyed it. Loved how he defeated silver samarai. Spoiler: regrows his bone claws, stabs him, and says "sianora bub". ( I don't kno how you spell it) mid-credit scene for days of future past was awesome.

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it. Good story, good action, good humor. Jackman did great too.

Im just curious on how Wolverine is going to get the Adamantium claws again.

and the after credits scene really excited me. Xavier and Magento are back and Sentinels are entering!!!

that is a great question not sure how that will happen. That was a great teaser wasn't it?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That lack of claws things annoys me. They had the means to repair them at the site of the final battle. Gah. Them being destroyed in the first place annoyed the hell out of me.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

That lack of claws things annoys me. They had the means to repair them at the site of the final battle. Gah. Them being destroyed in the first place annoyed the hell out of me.

Agreed. I didn't like that they were destroyed either. But I wouldn't doubt if Magneto repairs them in some kind of climactic fashion at the end of the next movie using the rest of the ady on Logan's skeleton.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: When they showed the after credits scene, that became my line of thought as well. I'm just hoping the next Wolverine solo doesn't take place before DoFP and that we get the bone claws and Adamantium skeleton for two hours. I want to see neither bone cutting through stone, steel and the like nor do I want to see him wielding a sword because his claws suck.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#19 god_spawn  Moderator
    Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i liked it. i thought it was interesting seeing him deal with his inner demons and i thought it was interesting seems like him think his healing factor was a curse to him.

i thought the actress the play viper was very beauitful and and did a great job. i like the relationship between yukio and wolverine. i thought it was better than wolverine origins and iron man 3 and give it 3.5 out of 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I hated was him having bone claws and an adamantium skeleton at the end. I hope Magneto puts it back in his claws.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By danhimself

I liked the Jean stuff because it makes you question whether it was just his imagination or if there was something else going on

my biggest gripe with the film was them not immediately fixing his claws right there....we know that they were stockpiling adamantium and that they had a giant robot made of the stuff so why not just repay him for saving your a$$es and fix his claws before he leaves or atleast bring it up...he's going to be really ineffective against the sentinels in DoFP

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mega_spidey01: I really enjoyed the film too, I like Yukio a lot too he dos well with a side kick.

I was annoyed at that as well, but it was a minor annoyance I could live with it and like godspawn said Mags might repair them in the next film or something.

@oscars94 said:

The only thing I hated was him having bone claws and an adamantium skeleton at the end. I hope Magneto puts it back in his claws.

I'm pretty sure he will.

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

7/10 for me. It wasn't great, but it was good. The character development was pretty good with Wolverine and Hugh Jackson was clearly on the top of his game for this movie.

It did some things very well. I loved his interactions with Jean, her role in the movie was actually more than I had anticipated and I very much liked that.

I also LOVED his interactions with Yukio (red-haired future-seeing girl). It really showcases how well Jackman knows the character and how well he portays Wolverine. Wolverine IMO is always at his best when he's got younger people around him (Jubilee, Rogue, Yukio...etc,etc). The character is very protective and nature and those types of "side kicks" if you well just clearly bring out the best in him.

Yukio especially with her go-getter attitude and the fact that she very much looks up to him but won't put up with his BS...it just worked for me.

Unfortunately I didn't like the Mariko romance. I didn't feel a good amount of chemistry between them and honestly I didn't feel the romance part was needed. I think it would have been enough that Wolverine was so protective of her to get him out of his emotional shell without adding romance. The movie also really started to slow down when they tried to get too deep into telling that romance and it was just bleh overall.

And at the end? He was supposedly in love with her but still needed to leave Japan? Meh. I didn't feel the same amount of love from him with Mariko as I did with Jean. And the romance wasn't needed imo.

I also felt the Viper villain being a mutant was not needed. This film was suppose to be about Wolverine's isolation and I think it would have been better portrayed with no mutants whatsoever. Technically Yuiko was a mutant, but we never actually seen any powers from her so I didn't mind. Also the Silver Samurai being a giant robot was a little distracting. I think it could have been find if the guy was just in a suit of armor and more human-sized. Like Iron Man style.

I also felt the ninja scene was a little wasted opportunity.

And the post-credits scene? OMFG amazing. I am SO pumped up for X-Men: Days of Future Past because of that scene. It was brilliant.

Overall it was a solid movie and definitely better than X-Men origins. But I think in the future Fox should avoid solo mutant movies. X-Men is a team story and it just works better when they're teamed up. This movie definitely gets a A for effort though, but as I said at the top of the post...7/10 for me. Maybe 7.5. Good but not great...I probably won't bother seeing it again in theaters though.

I loved Yukio as well, the interaction between her and Logan was great. I actually liked Viper though I felt she fit the role needed in the film. I was a little disappointed at the Silver Samurai though not enough to ruin the movie for me.I did not really like the Jean dream sequences too much I felt one of em would've been ok but throughout the movie I wasn't really digging it. I like Mariko but I too felt like there could've been more to add to the romance between her and Logan. Ninja scene, I'm right there with you wasted opportunity. Post Credits I'm also right there with you lol, that movie is gonna be awesome. I thought it was way better than Origins, I thought X:WO was horrible.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.