Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16062 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Off My Mind: Paradoxical Personality Disorder...

XFan616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By XFan616

So I'm taking Psychology 1 right now and I just finished a group of lessons about mental disorders. I then concluded that (in comic books at least) there should be one classified I have never heard of: paradoxical personality disorder. With all these people losing their memories for god knows how long, you'd think they'd change from the person the were, to the person they currently are. The prime example (in fact the only example I can think of off the top of my head) is Wolverine. Lemme walk you through it:

-Wolverine matures (yeah right lol) somewhat as James Howlett. He becomes some semblance of an adult.
    -Wolverine loses his memory to Weapon X
    -Wolverine becomes his basic personality without any knowledge or experiences to shape and twist it.
    -Wolverine has different experiences with the X-Men as Logan that shape his base personality into the Wolverine we all know and love.
    -Wolverine then regains his memories thanks to the events of M-Day

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wolverine would then have two sets of memories, yes? I mean I doubt they'd just fall into place...but then again this is fiction so anything's possible. What I think would happen: Wolverine would then have two conflicting personalities, because personalities are based on your natural personality PLUS your experiences that shape it into something similar, but not hte same. The James Howlett and Logan personalities would be kinda confusing, yeah? I'm not saying I know what they should do in the few dozen cases where this happens, but hey, it's just off my mind!

Thoughts? Comments? Snide remarks?

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jotham

Is a personality an actual thing, or is it just a concept that is based off of memories and perhaps some other things? And do memories even define a personality? It's a pretty philosophical question. I think he would just have a new personality, mostly based off his Wolverine personality and probably incorporating all of his memories.

XFan616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By XFan616

@Jotham a personality is the way an individual behaves, by himself and with other people depending on the circumstances. It can also be used to describe his or her basic beliefs, I suppose. And I believe that you start with a set personality, but someone that's raised in the 60s versus a war-time will probably have somewhat different personalities, even if they start with the same base personality. And anyways this is more just hypothetical. Kind of a what if.

614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 614azrael

Wow aimn for all phisophical mumbo jumbo r we bub. i believe is likely wht wolvie wud say to u lol. n before wepon x we have seen who he was an thts y they picked him he was "the best at what he dose" they realized we can make him even beter they programed him with memories to influence his actions n not particularly alter his psychology
    Avatar image for thegentlemanrogue
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thegentlemanrogue

Right after HoM, Spider-man was upset about the event and he was talking to Wolverine about it. Peter said he was so confused, because he had memories on top of memories and he asked Wolverine if he was expiriencing the same thing... but Logan didn't answer. Not only should Wolverine have all the memories of his real life, as well as memories of the fabricated HoM reality, but more than that, since he is immune to time tampering and paradoxes (from traveling forward in time to the Great Crunch) he should theoretically have memories of every single divergent time-line that he has even been apart off.

That said he doesn't have two conflicting personalities (unless you count Berserker Rage Wolverine as a personality), the revelations of his real memories just ended up changing his default personality. It hasn't really been touched in detail because - lets be honest - Marvel loves to drop the ball on interesting plot points and completely ignore them, but it has been mentioned in passing several times that Post HoM Wolverine is a different beast. For instance Psylocke tried to use her telepathy to stop Wolverine by reminding him who he was... only to be shocked to find that the holes in his memories were filled and he knew exactly he was and what he was doing.

XFan616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By XFan616

@thegentlemanrogue thanks. I haven't read HoM or anything directly after, so I was just going on the little I know happened. It just made me think...:)

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Don't confuse Bendis, XFan616.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.