Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16085 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Off My Mind: Does Wolverine Have the Chops to Run an Entire School?

• 117 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

Wolverine is one of the busiest characters in comic books. Not only does he appear in two solo series and numerous one-shots, he is also active in the pages of 'X-Men' and 'X-Force' comics along with 'The New Avengers.' With the events of Schism putting a divide in the X-Men, Wolverine will be heading in a new direction in the pages of his one mutant team book, 'Wolverine and the X-Men.'

When the title was first announced, there was the question of what his team of X-Men would be like. With X-Force, we've seen the black-ops approach where they will take care of the mutant threats in a manner the regular X-teams won't. With an interesting roster including Kitty Pryde, Beast, Iceman, Toad and Kid Omega, it wasn't quite clear what type of team he would be leading.

Last week we had a first look at Wolverine's new direction for the team. Not only is he taking those mutants siding with him back to the East Coast (and away from whatever might remain of Utopia), he plans on re-opening a school. The name of the school will be The Jean Grey School for Higher Learning. While the name clearly is meant as a dig against Cyclops, the idea of Wolverine being the headmaster is one that will take some getting used to. How effective of a leader can he be trying to run a school as well as keeping his commitments to his various other teams?

== TEASER ==

Is Wolverine a Leader?

No Caption Provided

This has long since been established. Wolverine is an expert on several different types of battle and has a pretty keen tactical mind. His years of living and experience have placed him in all sorts of situations. He knows what needs to be done and will always find a solution to solve any problems he's faced with.

We have seen Wolverine briefly lead the X-Men before, despite his reluctance and he has recently shown that he can take a team of killers (including the unhinged Deadpool) and guide them on different missions.

There might be a couple under his care that might not fully respect him (Kid Omega in particular) but the fact that the mutants have chosen their sides after Schism shows that these mutants chose to stand by Wolverine rather than Cyclops. Wolverine will not put his team at unnecessary risk and will be the first to face the dangers head on, rather than allow others to be placed in danger.

Can Wolverine Work With Children?

No Caption Provided

Wolverine has a temper and can get pretty savage. He used to have to struggle to maintain his animalistic/berserker nature. It may just be that Wolverine has mellowed some in his old age. We've constantly seen Wolverine take in young mutants under his wing, such as Kitty, Jubilee and Armor. For all his fierce ways, he does have a huge heart. This is the core of why he disagreed with Scott during Schism. Mutants need to learn to survive but Wolverine does not want young mutants to become killers. He understands what being a killer means. It's not something you can walk away from. Once you've killed you can't undo being a killer. Being skilled in different forms of fighting means there usually is another method to choose. Enemies can be disabled without resorting to slaughtering them.

Wolverine may not be the best role model but at least he's given up his smoking and drinking (for the most part). Plus having that scary-factor could be what's needed in some cases. If young mutants/students can see what he is capable of, they won't do anything to get on his bad side. Children fear the idea of being sent to the principal's office and you can only imagine what being sent to Logan's office would be like.

Does Wolverine Have the Time to Run a School?

No Caption Provided

The long running joke is besides a mutant healing factor, Wolverine has the mutant power to appear in numerous other comics at the same time. He is just about everywhere. If he plans on being the headmaster of the Jean Grey Institute, it's not something he can do part-time. Besides the safety issues of having a public school devoted to mutants (Jean Grey being a mutant wasn't a big secret and everyone always finds out anyway), Wolverine will have to be on sight to deal with any threats from deadly mutant-hating groups. If he's out on a mission with the New Avengers and something happens to the school, he's not going to take it well.

It's possible Wolverine might be spending less time with X-Force. In the final Regenesis teaser, he's not exactly standing with that team since he has to stand with the image for 'Wolverine and the X-Men.' And if any of his students found out he was part of a black-ops version of the X-Men, that wouldn't exactly be setting the best example. Even though he's a killer, it's always been said that X-Men don't kill. That's why Wolverine had such a problem with Cyclops' order of 'doing whatever' needs to be done.

This could also explain why Beast is hanging around. He might have had problems with Wolverine and X-Force during Second Coming, but you know Hank will want to do what's best for the children.

Wolverine may be the best there is at what he does but trying to run a school is a challenge he might not be ready to face. Is this something he will be able to handle? Will he dedicate the time needed to fully run a school. Emma Frost was able to be there for Generation X but she had Banshee to help out. Wolverine is going to have to cut down on all his other adventures otherwise the 'kids' won't respect him as the headmaster. It's going to be interesting to see how quickly he loses his cool with some trouble-making students.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

No. To every bolded question and the title.

Avatar image for apatheticavenger
    ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -3

#2  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

I have a sneaking suspicion that the whole thing is gonna blow up in Logan's face. But that's just me.

fivestarga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By fivestarga
    @InnerVenom123
    Agreed. 

Wolverine is going to need his healing factor when his ears begin to implode from the shit pressure that surrounds him
    ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThanosIsMad

If he were running a school of assassins and killers, yes.

Otherwise, no to every single question posed. Wolverine better be a figurehead to draw attention to the school and not an active participant. Otherwise, it makes no sense whatsoever. Beast should be the actual headmaster.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GREGalicious

I think Logan will be just fine. He's skilled at so much and this will just be one more skill to add to his reputation.
    THE_unnamed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By THE_unnamed

funny to see you always talkin bout wolvie all the time

now did i see CV talk about cykes side? mee neither

hahahahahaha peace out

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @InnerVenom123 said:

With the perfect writer, he could be... P means perfect in PIS right? Nyehehe!
    Avatar image for mistersarcastic
    mistersarcastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mistersarcastic

Ehhhmmm, no! Why does he even need his own school.

I'm not liking this at all. Hopefully this doesn't last long.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Of Coarse he has the chops.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Earth-58163 House of M
    Earth-58163 House of M

Seriously though, they have shown that Wolverine is good with children. He may be a scary guy but kids like him and respect him. Did he get all his memories back during Magneto event thing where the girl healed his memories? Because then he would have a lot to teach, all those years of experience.

This could become part of Wolverine's character, I think it might be already, not only could he become a mentor to the younger women like Jubilee or Kitty Pryde, but he could be a mentor to all the younger mutants (male and female).

I'll have to actually read the article tomorrow.

.In Exiles, in one alternate reality, he was headmaster at the Xavier School. Replacing Xavier after Apocalypse or somebody possessed his body and killed Xavier.

Also he has been a leader is various other things, including teams in alternate universes:

Earth-901237
    Earth-901237
    Earth-1298 Mutant X
    Earth-1298 Mutant X

Earth-811 DoFP
    Earth-811 DoFP
    Wolverine and the X-Men
    Wolverine and the X-Men
    Avatar image for mysteriousblack
    MysteriousBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MysteriousBlack

Probably. He cares more than he wants you to think.

kenseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kenseven

Never mind Logan's own team of X-men. I'm waiting for the inevitable new titles: "Wolverine & The Avengers", "Wolverine & The FF", "Wolverine & The Thunderbolts", "Wolverine & The Defenders", etc. :D

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jhazzroucher

Wolverine as the headmaster? I don't think so. Unless he puts Storm as the second-in-command, then i see Storm taking care of the school while he just really doesn't need to work as the headmaster of the school.

TheAntiVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheAntiVillain

i always saw wolvie as a momma bear (or in his case a male equivalent to that) figure and i saw that x-force was an extension of that (doing the bad stuff so the kids don't have to

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By lorex

Like most fans not on the fanboy bandwagon I do not think Wolverine has the chops to run a school. He does not have very good interpersonal skills, teaching acreditation or patience with people. He is like the grumpy uncle that needs to warm up to you first. I disagree wth you G-Man about Wolverine being fundamentally opposed to Cyclops use of the younger. In the past if a younger mutant found themselves in a position where they might be facing danger he would help them to prepare for it not wrap them up in cotten to protect them from the world. Also I don't have the specific reference but in the past Wolverine has advised some of the younger mutants to put an enemy down rather than let them have a chance to kill you. This opposition to Cyclops leadership on the grounds that he is opposed to the younger mutants as combatants came out of no where. The writer was lazy and unimaginative and just used the reason Beast left the X-Men and transfered that to Wolverine as the basis for Schism.

Wolverine was never really a primary leader withing the X-Men and has always been the man in the shadows, who could do the dirty work others were unable or unwilling to do. A small team leader is a good role for him, but unless they change Wolverines behaviors even more then he just does not have the temperment to run a large team or deal with children and their needs on a day to day basis. As for will he have time to be headmaster of a school well I would like to see the number of Wolverine's apperances reduced each month, and espically leave the Avengers and possibly X-Force. I know that is not likely to happen bacause Marvel dosen't have the guts to do so, they are milking this Wolvering popularity for all its worth.

Sissel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sissel

Wolverine can be a headmaster. Though, Hank or/and Storm should be his assistant/s. Also, it will add more depth in Logan's personality regarding about children.

stikfigureman2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By stikfigureman2

no. i am completely disappointed with this change of character. he is badass and struggles to communicate. making him Marvel's mascot was a big mistake and this is just worsening the problem

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NXH

@kenseven said:

Never mind Logan's own team of X-men. I'm waiting for the inevitable new titles: "Wolverine & The Avengers", "Wolverine & The FF", "Wolverine & The Thunderbolts", "Wolverine & The Defenders", etc. :D

What about Wolverine & Wolverine Guest Starring Wolverine? :P

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bunkerbuster05

I really don't know the answer. But I'm excited nonetheless.

fivestarga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fivestarga
    @lorex

Very well written.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iLLituracy
    @InnerVenom123 said:

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By ComicStooge

He might be able to, you never know.
    kenseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kenseven

@NXH said:

@kenseven said:

What about Wolverine & Wolverine Guest Starring Wolverine? :P

that is on my definite buy list when Marvel announces it. :D

come to think of it, Marvel already turned everybody into a Hulk (World War Hulks) and a Spider (Spider-Island). for all we know, Marvel is planning to give everyone Adamantium Claws in the near future. :D

@lorex said:

Wolverine was never really a primary leader withing the X-Men and has always been the man in the shadows, who could do the dirty work others were unable or unwilling to do. A small team leader is a good role for him, but unless they change Wolverines behaviors even more then he just does not have the temperment to run a large team or deal with children and their needs on a day to day basis. As for will he have time to be headmaster of a school well I would like to see the number of Wolverine's apperances reduced each month, and espically leave the Avengers and possibly X-Force. I know that is not likely to happen bacause Marvel dosen't have the guts to do so, they are milking this Wolvering popularity for all its worth.

I agree. although he has what it takes to lead his own team, I'd only buy into the Wolverine stories if he stuck with just the X-men and left the Avengers.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eyz

Ha! XD

I love that picture above "REMEMBER WHEN WOLVERINE WAS COOL" XD

EPIC!!

yteez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By yteez

As a leader of the X-men he can handle it just fine. In my opinion the whole Run-the-school thing is going to be something of a comic relief, unless they are planning to make him come out as a father figure for the kids

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By NightFang3

If it's a school for assassination, yeah.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mbecks14

Wolverine can do ANYTHING!!!

But i wouldn't want to leave my kids in his hands

Belziane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Belziane

I have one question for the school... who is the student. I don't know, but the 5 light are with cyclopes... the hellion team? pixie?

A school, for who?

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By buttersdaman000

@InnerVenom123 said:

Agreed.

I know people say this a lot but I'm tired of everything revolving around Wolverine. Kitty, Beast, or Rogue would have made much more sense as Headmaster

@lorex:

You speak truth!

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

No, he cant, because as soon as #### gets hard, the kind of hard he can't drink or snikt his way out of, he'll take off like he'll always does.

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

he is going to have a huge drawer full of booze. he is going to need it.

Avatar image for supermanjohnathankentjr
    SupermanJohnathanKentJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting breakdown. Is Schism any good? I've been away from comics for a little bit.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LordRequiem

"Papa Logan, I'm being bullied" "Here's what you do kid, get some adamantium in you, and rip 'em to shreds."

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By cyberninja
    No Caption Provided

I rest my case.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cmaprice

Wolverine certainly got the more exciting teams. Interesting that the team featured in the title "X-Men" includes three X-Force members (Warpath, Psylocke, Domino) and Jubilee, who has obvious deep ties to Logan. I wonder how the dynamic of that team will work, especially as we already know that Psylocke is on both teams.

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OmegaDynasty
    @cyberninja said:
    No Caption Provided

I rest my case.

Haha, that is what I was thinking. He wouldn't have the patients to teach children. First sign of trouble or disobdience and *Snikt*
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By difficlus

@OmegaDynasty said:

@cyberninja said:
    No Caption Provided

I rest my case.

Haha, that is what I was thinking. He wouldn't have the patients to teach children. First sign of trouble or disobdience and *Snikt*

lmao!! too good...

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WildStyle

I think at the start he's going to have trouble. It's something he's not used to doing. We'll probably have a lot of comedy moments but later on down the line he'll get the hand of it. If Logan gets some type of character development through this, it'll be good for everyone. I'm not worried at all.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By fodigg

If they really want to make this meaningful they should pull him from all other titles while he's running the school.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By sj_esposito

@OmegaDynasty: Excellent. Just excellent.

In all seriousness, I think Logan is going to give it the best he can and hope that Hank will be there to pick up the pieces. Obviously, seeing Logan teach courses at the Institute isn't very likely, but Hank will be there -- possibly Prodigy, too -- to actually give the lectures and whatnot.

Also, as a side note, everyone seems to think that the naming of the school was done to spite Scott -- I sort of disagree with that. I know that's how Scott's going to take it, but I think in all reality that Logan named it after Jean because Jean was his moral compass; she was his, and the whole team's, conscious for a long time, and I always thought that she was missed so much because of that. I think Logan naming the school after Jean makes perfect sense and I don't think he's doing it to piss of Scott. However, Scott will probably think that's why he did it.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By Joe Venom

Who need chops when you have claws?! That Quentin pic rocks!

kuma_far

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kuma_far

@TheAntiVillain: Papa Wolf

Enderof295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Enderof295

Perhaps "Old Man Logan" is mellowing in his old age.  Remember, he now has access to all of his memories since House of M.  He has a great deal he could teach.  Also, look at the people on his side from the Wolverine and the X-Men #1.  Kitty Pryde is a computer genius.  Henry McCoy is a genius in everything, especially medicine and genetics.  Iceman has a degree in accounting.  If Beast is there, one could potentially get Agent Brand of SWORD to guest lecture.  Havok and Polaris both have degrees geophysics.  Gambit can teach streetwise skills, such as lock picking?  Frenzy could run Physical Education.  Wolverine could teach history, with an especially unique perspective 'cuz he was there for so much of it. 
    Perhaps Wolverine is trying to atone for some of his recent mistakes, such as the slaughter in Wolverine 14.  I won't spoil it, but perhaps Logan is trying to find a way to make a change in his own life.  After years of killing, maiming and destroying, maybe Logan is trying to turn over a new leaf. 
    Also, Wolverine has always, always taken young mutants under his wing, starting with Kitty Pryde.  He mentored Rogue, Jubilee, Marrow (really just fought her a lot), Armor, and even his young clone X-23.  He has it in him to relate to kids because he seem to care about the next generation.   Wolverine not wanting  Idie to have to kill is in line with his characterization in light of recent arcs.
    My big question is where the heck is Xavier and Legion?  Last I read is that they were in Paris.  They have not been shown on any of the the Regenesis covers, so where do they fit in?  Perhaps Xavier could even help teach at the new school?
    nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nickthedevil

Wolverine is nothing, if not one big surprise. he has always been able to pull of things and surprise readers when they least expect it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

is this gonna be like the movie "Kindergarten Cop"?? 

oh and WHERE THE HECK IS XAVIER???

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Or35ti

He's definitely going to need some help. I have a feeling Beast is gonna play a huge part in this School.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By MrMazz

Well he defiantly would be good at enforcing the rules

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47  Edited By zombietag

wow that wizard sheet is too funny.

no wolverine is definitely too busy for this. but who cares!

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mk111

LOL at Wolverine running a school.

But then, he and Kitty Pride got along.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

Deadpool would have a better chance of succeeding

BattleToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BattleToast

I can honestly see Wolverine getting angry with a smart mouthed kid and gutting him on the spot....so no.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.