Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16088 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Off My Mind: Could Wolverine Turn Into a Vampire?

• 87 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    The X-Men have their hands full fighting the Vampires in the "Curse of the Mutants" story arc. Issue #3 came out last week and I don't want to spoil anything for those that haven't had a chance to read it yet. If you've seen the solicited cover for issue #4, you've seen the image to the right. We all know the covers aren't always what they seem so, again for those that haven't read issue #3, this cover for issue #4 may not mean anything. 

What I do wonder is could Wolverine be converted into a vampire? A vampire would have to bit his neck carefully to not hit his Adamantium bone and break their teeth. More importantly, could his healing factor deal with the bite and vampire toxic that would change a normal person?  

I'm not an expert on Vampirism but I would see it as a disease of sorts. You would think his body would be able to handle and expel any bits of Vampire venom. I know in 1991 there was "What If...Wolverine Was Lord Of The Vampires?" I'd need to locate and re-read my copy to see how things were handled back then. What does come to mind is Uncanny X-Men #234 from 1988 where Wolverine gets infected by Brood. I even have an image from that issue. 
     == TEASER == 
    No Caption Provided
    I would think a Brood infection would be a tough thing to kick but Wolverine's healing factor deals with it in mere moments. An alien infection should be a big deal, right? Perhaps the mystical properties of a Vampire's bite is stronger than an infection from an alien race. Even so, you would think Wolverine could still fight it. Maybe it would take him a couple issues to fight it off rather than a couple panels. 

The main problem is Wolverine's healing factor has never really been portrayed consistently. He's recovered at different rates in different issues.    

Again, I'm no expert on Vampirism. I've never been bitten by one. I just really think that Wolverine's healing factor would be able to deal with a bite. Unless he was bitten by Dracula himself or a vampire with super strong vampire venom. 
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I'd have thought that he couldn't be infected by a vamp bite. Also, when the hell was the last time Logan let some douche foot soldier get close enough to bite him in the neck anyway?

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Chris2KLee

If it's a biological thing, I give him a chance to work it out of his system, but if it's a magic thing all bets are off.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

The classic example of 'healing factor defeats Brood' has been cited many a time in these age old debates.  It's one that I would adhere to.  That said, I'm not a comic book writer.  They are a special breed of god-like people who have the ability to dream up nonsensical plots, defy logic, and even undo the work of their predecesors...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a830f8074f3a
    deactivated-5a830f8074f3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

EVEN SPIDER-MAN TURN TO VAMPIRE BEFORE ,WHY NOT WOLVERINE.
    axiomr@

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By axiomr@

If the vampirism in question is purely a disease like Morbius than I think Wolverine can deal with it, not just with his healing factor but also mentally. He's had quite a bit of practice suppressing animal instincts. 
    If it's mystical in any way I think he's screwed though    

Markio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Markio

I guess it all depends on how vampirism works in the Marvel Universe.  If it's just a disease, Wolverine can revert.  If it's magical at all, writers get full free reign.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DanialCarroll

I think most recent Vampire lore treats it as a virus rather than anything mystical, and from what I've read, Wolverine's healing factor is able to handle viruses pretty easily.

Treason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Treason

isnt his healing factor weaker now then before just maybe it might happen

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Aspenite
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " I'd have thought that he couldn't be infected by a vamp bite. Also, when the hell was the last time Logan let some douche foot soldier get close enough to bite him in the neck anyway? "
    Exactly! Logan wouldn´t give these vampires a chance.
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#10  Edited By EisforExtinction

Even though I think the story in Curse of the Mutants is really bad I don't mind Wolverine becoming a vampire. I my mind it's kind of like Superman being weak against magic. This super powerful guy can get hit by a train but if someone casts a spell on him he's boned. It makes for interesting stories. 

No Caption Provided
    Azmuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azmuth

he got over the werewolf curse once so i guess he can heal from a vamp bite

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Terrible. Idea. We all know this is not permanent especially since Dr. Nemesis took a sample of Wolverine's blood before he went after Jubilee. 

[/jusnopointatall]

weapon154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By weapon154

I think back in the day they were running out of ideas so they came up with this. 

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Michiel76

Actually wolverine was bitten by Dracula in Uncanny X-men Annual #6 a very long time ago.
    Obviously he got better.

No Caption Provided

Although its more of a mindcontrol here, and it's resolved in about 2 pages, never is his healing factor mentioned, since Dracula's daughter shows up possessing kitty's body and using a spell to kill her father, she gets interrupted by nightcrawler however, but somehow Dracula loses his control over Wolverine.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15  Edited By ImperiousRix

My problem with this is simply that in the long run, unless in his vampiric berserker rage Wolverine were to kill someone or worse, we know this isn't going to be a permanent change. 
    Can Wolvie become a vampire?  Of course; this is comics.  If a writer decides they wanna use a loophole to turn a character into a vampire, they can. 
    However... they probably shouldn't.

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EGoD  Moderator

Jubilee bit Wolverine, she was the only one that could get close enough, and I guess she'd know how to bite him and not hit his adamantium skeleton but still, you'd think he'd smell her change, but then there were other bodies in there, maybe he couldn't single out her new vampiric stink.  Still his healing factor should fight the vampirism since this seems to be more of a desease.  Normally you have to drink the blood of a vampire as you near death since you technically have to die before you are resurrected as a vampire, that is missed since its kinda hard to really kill Wolverine.  This is obviously a desease based vampirism and therefore Wolverine's healing factor should kick in unless he is supressing it to get in with the Vampires, save Jubilee and stop Vlad from infecting everyone and save the mutant race.....wait is this deja vu?

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17  Edited By Decept-O
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "The classic example of 'healing factor defeats Brood' has been cited many a time in these age old debates.  It's one that I would adhere to.  That said, I'm not a comic book writer.  They are a special breed of god-like people who have the ability to dream up nonsensical plots, defy logic, and even undo the work of their predecesors...    "

That's the funniest yet most spot on remark I've read in quite some time.   

excalibur5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By excalibur5150

I agree with Xerox-Kitty 

I would think when Logan got an alien embryo implanted in his body by Aliens in Uncanny #166, I mean the Brood, and his healing factor conquered that.  I pretty much chalked up Wolverine's healing as one of the most powerful abilities in the Marvel U.  I don't think anything can really infect  Wolverine enough where he would be down and out.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crusader8463

It's a story so they can write whatever possible outcome they want to. Personally I would say that he should become a vampire as it could lead to an interesting story. 

Wolverine becoming a vampire with the thirst to feed that could resist all the weaknesses of a vampire, he could go out in the sun and get stabbed in the heart because it would just heal back, with his combined healing factor could make an interesting story arch for awhile. They could even get Blade, or who ever is the resident anti Vampire person in Marvel at the moment, involved in a story arch. I doubt they would make it a permanent part of the character, but until they discover the magical turn back time juice, that they will conveniently find out about in the last issue turns him back to normal, it could be an interesting turn to take a wolverine story in. They could then have some stories about him dealing with the consequences of his time as a vampire should he have killed innocent people or some one he cared about while under the effects.

Perhaps have him had turned someone he cared for, but the magic juice they used to turn him back to normal can't be used again because they used all of it to turn him back. Then an arch where he hunts down the person he turned and have him needing to wrestle with stopping the person from hurting others and killing the person he cares about. 

Or a story where they can't turn him back and he has to learn to control the urges to feed on top of his already temperamental attitude.

Or something. I don't know.

Dark Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Dark Walker

I don't read X-Men but if Wolverine's healing factor does in fact end up fighting the infection and cures him couldn't they use that to create a cure for everyone else?  His body would create the antibodies to fight the infection.  X-experts?

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Magian

As you said normally Wolverine's healing factor should be able to handle this. On the other hand, vampirism in the MU is mystical in nature as it was created by Atlantean priests using the Darkhold and it's not a virus like in the Blade movies. So his healing factor may not be able to counter it here. This is the only way I can think that he could turn into a vampire.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By doordoor123

Heres a good question: Why does Daken have tatoos if he has a healing factor?  
    I feel like Marvel forgets the characters powers sometimes. Or just throw away their powers for a story.

Treason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Treason
    @Dark Walker said:
    " I don't read X-Men but if Wolverine's healing factor does in fact end up fighting the infection and cures him couldn't they use that to create a cure for everyone else?  His body would create the antibodies to fight the infection.  X-experts? "
    maybe that is the plan of Cyclops
    Avatar image for darkwolverineusmc
    darkwolverineUSMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 4

ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ForbushBug

Careful not to hit his adamantimum bone? How freakin' big are Wolvie's vertebrae? What vampire attacks the back of the neck and not the meaty throat where the veins are? Granted this article is speculation of comic book reality but that sentence was just goofy.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Martian
    @doordoor123 said:
    "

I feel like Marvel forgets the characters powers sometimes. Or just throw away their powers for a story.

"

That's cuz its Marvel, they're always doing stupid s*** like that!
    undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By undeadpool

If Spider-Man's system can repel the vampiric plague (Blade #1 from a couple of years back) due to the background radiation in his blood, I think Wolverine's healing factor can handle it. He'll probably get all vampy for an issue or two, and then the healing factor will kick it.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By roadbuster
    "The main problem is Wolverine's healing factor has never really been portrayed consistently."   

Nail on the head.
    schmidty207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By schmidty207

Logan can conceivably be bitten. He can become infected. He has a healing factor that will purge the vampirism over time. 

The questions are:
    1) how infected Logan is. One bite would take less time to purge than, say one hundred bites.
    2) is Logan's healing factor affected in some way. Was he zapped by a modern version of Forge's machine when he became infected.
    3) did something more traumatic happen to his body at the time of infection that his healing factor needed to fix first, like losing a major organ or a limb.  

While these things would limit or prohibit his healing factor, the vampirism would eventually work its way out of his system. This would also be true for Lycanthropy and zombification.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeust

It can a mutation, and not a disease per se. In that case it isn't so strange. 

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By _Sojourn_
    xSIZEMATTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xSIZEMATTER

I always saw him as one before... o_O

csimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By csimon
    @Michiel76 said:
    "Actually wolverine was bitten by Dracula in Uncanny X-men Annual #6 a very long time ago.
    Obviously he got better.

Although its more of a mindcontrol here, and it's resolved in about 2 pages, never is his healing factor mentioned, since Dracula's daughter shows up possessing kitty's body and using a spell to kill her father, she gets interrupted by nightcrawler however, but somehow Dracula loses his control over Wolverine. "

@Undeadpool said:

"If Spider-Man's system can repel the vampiric plague (Blade #1 from a couple of years back) due to the background radiation in his blood, I think Wolverine's healing factor can handle it. He'll probably get all vampy for an issue or two, and then the healing factor will kick it. "

I was just thinking the same thing guys
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By jordama

Haven't they claimed that it is mystic in nature and therefore Magik's Soulswrod would have an effect on them. It seems like they want to make it both physical and magical so they can do whatever they want.
    MoonstoneEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MoonstoneEvil

I think that Wolverine's healing factor should be able to handle it...

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By leokearon

Vampirism is a mysticial curse not a disease so Logan's healing factor won't work.
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WW-Fan

i can see him more as Ware Wolf actully :D
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By roadbuster
    @leokearon said:
    " Vampirism is a mysticial curse not a disease so Logan's healing factor won't work. "
    Being mystic alone is not enough if the magic works its way out in the form of a physical or scientific manifestation.  For example, you could have two different spells with the same goal but different effects... Immolation- to cause a target to spontaneously burn- or Fireball- to spontaneously create projectile fire intended to be thrown at the target and burn.  A shield- a physical "scientific" object- would deflect the Fireball but be no defense against Immolation.  For all we know vampirism is similar in that the curse starts a physical phenomena (say, teleporting in a virus) which could conceivably be healed from. 

Frankly we know too little about vampirism or Wolvie's healing factor to know either way.
    Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39  Edited By Dr. Maxwell
    @Chris2KLee said:
    " If it's a biological thing, I give him a chance to work it out of his system, but if it's a magic thing all bets are off. "
    my thoughts exactly
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nova`Prime`

It all depends on if the source of the vampiric turn is magical or not. If its magic based then I would say yes, any character can be turned, with a few exceptions. But if its not and it is a "virus" then I would think his healing factor would keep it at bay at the very least or eradicate it on the spot. His blood should also be able to cure the vampire disease in others if it is a "virus".

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @doordoor123 said:
    "

"
    They're rub ons
    squidracerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By squidracerX

I'd have to agree with everyone saying: He's fine if its disease, but mystical bite might get 'em. And its "healing factor", not invulnerable factor really. He heals faster, has faster metabolism since booze doesn't get em. or is it slower since he ages slow, (c'mon marvel your science sucks!). but really he shouldn't heal from anything that other humans couldn't heal from in my opinion, he just does it faster. Then they turned it into "regeneration" and we see that him and deadpool could be chopped up and still heal. (which i think is silly). But even then its still a physical wound you can "heal" from. Deadpool heals from cancer as fast as it infects him, and a cut you can heal from, disease you can heal from, but really you can't heal from being a vampire right? No one ever just got better from being a vampire. It would take a mystical cure, or death of the vampire that got you in some myths. If his power is healing then i really don't see how it would help him verses a vampire?

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Since I lost track of the X-Stories 
    If Wolverine becomes a Vampire, he going to be the most bad-a$$ mutant ever! 
    Then, he's going to be a mutie fanger!
    squidracerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By squidracerX

Then it gets me thinking, he can heal from anything, he pushes bullets out of his body all the time; why doesn't his super tough-ass healing body push his adamantium skeleton out? It can come out as we've seen magneto push it out, or anytime it got chipped at all in a fight with hulk or whoever wouldn't bits be coming out little by little? Comics aren't real so who cares, but it is fun to think about :)

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

I'd say he wouldn't turn into a vampire. 

I also don't believe Wolverine would survive an atomic blast. 

Marvel needs to be consistent.
    CRACKERMAN92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CRACKERMAN92

Well it IS  a disease so....

Bathory1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bathory1313
    @G-Man: 

Really .. I mean Really... I possed this question in the wolverine forum with the same picture... back in July!!! (
    http://www.comicvine.com/wolverine/29-1440/can-wolverine-really-be-turned-into-a-vampire/92-559977/#21) ... no love from the vine... I guess I know who's will post  be locked now I am sad... you have made me sad ... broke my heart Comicvine...
    spiderguylll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By spiderguylll
    @FadeToBlackBolt: lol
    Avatar image for thegentlemanrogue
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel Vampirism is a magic spell from the Darkhold (Book of Sins), not a communicable blood disease so it is a bit of  gray area being magic and all. Wolverine has healed from being a Werewolf, but I'm not 100% on the origins of lycantorpy in Marvel so I'm not sure if it stems from the Darkhold as well, another spell book or is a natural occurrence.

Wormwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Wormwood

I remember an issue, i think it's in civil war, in which Blade and Wolverine face off

Blade's tactic is to jab Woverine with a vial of vampire genes or virus or whatever and then stake him. I think Bade would know his stuff

Ultimately though, i think it's up to the writer. And of course

If no one likes it it'll be buisness as usual in a few issues

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.