New 'The Wolverine' Footage

• 52 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (34930 posts) - - Show Bio

Could this film help us forget X-Men Origins: Wolverine?! The first trailer looked amusing (though the plot seems super predictable), and now we have a look at some pretty cool footage shown at CinemaCon. It's basically pure action, but when it comes to Wolverine, we can always use some extra slicing and dicing, right? Check it out below.

That's one big version of Silver Samurai! The armor almost seems robotic and the blade appears to be heated at the end (a nice little nod to Harada's powers). Though, if we're going to dive into speculation, I think the main villain (you know, the guy who totally wants that healing factor for himself) is in that suit and Harada is the dude who slashes Wolverine's face. What do you think of this action-filled footage, Viners? Speak your mind below!

The Wolverine hits theaters July 26.

Source: AMC

#1 Posted by BradyDale (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure I saw

The Hand

Lady Deathstrike

Silver Samurai

Maybe Hawkeye?

Maybe Kittypryde?

Maybe slutty era Psylocke?

Exciting, but... the last one suffered death by too many characters, too. It needs to be a good movie. Wolverine is so awesome, they don't need to bury him under guest starts. So dumb.

I hope this one is better than that trainwreck.

#2 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18714 posts) - - Show Bio

f*ck yes!

#3 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not even a Wolverine fan but I think Hugh Jackman does a great job as the character. I'm hyped for this movie. Ninja, Samurai, and mutants? You'd have to work extremely hard to F this up. Footage looks badass. Agreed that SS looks like a robot but I'm cool with it.

#4 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

I'm not even a Wolverine fan but I think Hugh Jackman does a great job as the character. I'm hyped for this movie. Ninja, Samurai, and mutants? You'd have to work extremely hard to F this up. Footage looks badass. Agreed that SS looks like a robot but I'm cool with it.

Agreed on all accounts.

#5 Edited by ccraft (5573 posts) - - Show Bio

why is the white samurai a huge Robot? Seems pointless to do that.

#6 Posted by NICKXH (287 posts) - - Show Bio

Please god let this be good.

#7 Edited by The Mast (785 posts) - - Show Bio

People say, "Can we forget Wolverine: Origins?" as if that's the only crappy X-Movie.

I've not liked any of them. The Nightcrawler scene was great and First Class was well-made, but horrifyingly adapted (Save for Fassneto). We need to start saying, "Will this be a good X-Men movie?" and prepare for the inevitable answer of, "Nah".

#8 Posted by z1co80 (180 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks brilliant

Can't wait for it.

#9 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8686 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks awesome!

#10 Edited by SimonM7 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

All the stuff they've shown so far is stuff that was in the first solo Wolverine film. It's all "badass" and whatever, but there was no lack of badass in the first one. In fact, its biggest problem was, there was little else besides badass stuff in it, making for a supremely hollow experience, regardless of whether they would've gotten Deadpool right or not.

The thing I'm missing in these trailers is evidence that there is something to genuinely care about. If all we're getting is another angry Wolverine slashing guys with little consequence (quite literally when he was stabbing Victor/Sabretooth in the first one) then I dunno what lessons they've supposedly learned.

Frankly, I don't even know if Wolverine being the lone star of a movie is even possible. I feel like a driven angry Wolverine is pretty one-note and boring to watch, unless the story is about how he gets there. The X-Men trilogy - say what you want about Last Stand - had a very compelling arc for the character. He got to be snarky, selfish and dismissive, but ultimately found himself caring about other people, the school, and even found a kind of leader position when Charles was gone. In Wolverine, he barely changes, and then the bullet undoes even that - whatever it amounted to.

I think he just plays better off other people. Hell, Hugh Jackman has range, and he's naturally sympathetic and charming. It's downright unfair to just have him grimacing and stabbing dudes for 2 hours.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35030 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks great but isnt that a pretty big spoiler I just seen

#12 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

Never been an X-Men fan at all, but this looks awesome!

#13 Posted by God_Spawn (38314 posts) - - Show Bio

Give me now!

#14 Edited by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant wait until I can watch this on tv for free.

#15 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: the mandarin is just an actor in IM3

#16 Posted by Namor1987 (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure I saw

The Hand

Lady Deathstrike

Silver Samurai

Maybe Hawkeye?

Maybe Kittypryde?

Maybe slutty era Psylocke?

Exciting, but... the last one suffered death by too many characters, too. It needs to be a good movie. Wolverine is so awesome, they don't need to bury him under guest starts. So dumb.

I hope this one is better than that trainwreck.

Why would Hawkeye be in a Wolverine movie? Plus The Wolverine & Avengers are made by two separate studios! Deathstrike died in X-Men 2: United. Silver Samurai is in it. I doubt Kitty Pryde or Pslocke are in it. Viper aka Madame Hydra is in it.

#17 Posted by dementedtheclown (744 posts) - - Show Bio

Was that Husk?

#18 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4101 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!!!

#19 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_mast said:

People say, "Can we forget Wolverine: Origins?" as if that's the only crappy X-Movie.

I've not liked any of them. The Nightcrawler scene was great and First Class was well-made, but horrifyingly adapted (Save for Fassneto). We need to start saying, "Will this be a good X-Men movie?" and prepare for the inevitable answer of, "Nah".

x-men 1, 2 and first class were all spectacular. They've definitely had more good ones than bad.

#20 Posted by movieartman (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

why is the white samurai a huge Robot? Seems pointless to do that.

@ccraft:

most likely the samurai that slashes logans face at the end is the traditional silver samurai, and then the robot is a updated version, prehapes wolverine badly injuries him and he has tio adapt to the machine armor to fight.

the current incarnation has michanical armor too

#21 Posted by nappystr8 (1155 posts) - - Show Bio

@dementedtheclown: I'm pretty sure that characer is Viper/Lady Hydra. Husk would be cool though.

#22 Edited by Lazz33 (29 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_mast: I've taken to looking at these movies as a separate universe, not the standard adaptions but a different take on the source material. Much like the Ultimate universe. (In no way does that grant a pass to X3 or Origins)

#23 Posted by Mucklefluga (2602 posts) - - Show Bio

I still have low expectations sadly.

#24 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

This must be better than origins

#25 Posted by flazam (2533 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam

Were like batman and robin

#27 Posted by flazam (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam

Were like batman and robin

Or Robin and Nobody (im Damian)

#28 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam

Or dick and Damian

I'm dick

#29 Posted by flazam (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam

Or dick and Damian

I'm dick

I know you are get it!!!

#30 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam

Well ur not robin anymore

#31 Edited by flazam (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam

Well ur not robin anymore

okay if im not with you im against you Hush ! Batman.

guess what villian I am?

#32 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam

Oh are youuuuuuuuu hush?

If so u can be robin again

#33 Posted by flazam (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam

Oh are youuuuuuuuu hush?

If so u can be robin again

YEAH!!!! thanks

#34 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam

Which robin are u

#35 Posted by flazam (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

pow wow Im Jason Todd

#36 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam

Hahah

Joker kills u

#37 Edited by flazam (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam

Hahah

Joker kills u

I Come back as red hood

#38 Edited by Mister_Sensational (196 posts) - - Show Bio

@simonm7:

Dude if this was Facebook I totally would've given you a "Like" for that. The only thing I somewhat disagree with is the notion that Wolverine can't carry his own solo films, only because I believe that with above average writers and a studio that's equally concerned with telling a compelling story as it is making money (yeah I'm talking to you Fox) they can accomplish the task of making a Wolverine film that's more than just a 2 hour (or however long the movie is) hack and slash beat 'em up.

#39 Edited by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by MikeStark (158 posts) - - Show Bio

Still looks "meh" but it honestly looks better than the actual trailer!

#41 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice little teaser, but the actual trailer I thought really sucked me in!

#42 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

Boring once again.

#43 Posted by reaperOnyx (1177 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks great, but my opinion is based off one reason....I love the x men

#44 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not expecting a nuanced superhero tale ala the Dark Knight - let's just watch Logan tear apart ninjas and kiss pretty Asian girls!

But yeah, the Silver Samurai armor looks quite impressive with its size. But wasn't there a picture of the set taken earlier that showed a man dressed in an ordinary silver-colored samurai outfit?

#45 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1405 posts) - - Show Bio

SO FREAKING EXCITED WOOOOOOOO

#46 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6613 posts) - - Show Bio

This has me excited.

#47 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks good.

#48 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

before you had my curiosity but now you most certainly have my attention

#49 Edited by sj_esposito (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@simonm7 said:

All the stuff they've shown so far is stuff that was in the first solo Wolverine film. It's all "badass" and whatever, but there was no lack of badass in the first one. In fact, its biggest problem was, there was little else besides badass stuff in it, making for a supremely hollow experience, regardless of whether they would've gotten Deadpool right or not.

The thing I'm missing in these trailers is evidence that there is something to genuinely care about. If all we're getting is another angry Wolverine slashing guys with little consequence (quite literally when he was stabbing Victor/Sabretooth in the first one) then I dunno what lessons they've supposedly learned.

Frankly, I don't even know if Wolverine being the lone star of a movie is even possible. I feel like a driven angry Wolverine is pretty one-note and boring to watch, unless the story is about how he gets there. The X-Men trilogy - say what you want about Last Stand - had a very compelling arc for the character. He got to be snarky, selfish and dismissive, but ultimately found himself caring about other people, the school, and even found a kind of leader position when Charles was gone. In Wolverine, he barely changes, and then the bullet undoes even that - whatever it amounted to.

I think he just plays better off other people. Hell, Hugh Jackman has range, and he's naturally sympathetic and charming. It's downright unfair to just have him grimacing and stabbing dudes for 2 hours.

This... Mostly.

I agree that Jackman is a great actor, but I just don't think he's right for Wolverine. He doesn't have the real gruffness that Logan demands, not to mention he physically isn't a good fit. A major part or Logan's 'charm' is that he's runty and scrappy--always looking for a fight and a bit cantankerous--and Jackman is a tall, handsome, relateable guy. We need someone who matches the physical stature that we're used to from the comics and looks good with a crazy wild head of hair and beard--not a hollywood A-list leading man type. Look at all the other (successful) Marvel movies, and they're all perfectly casted: Iron Man, Cap, Black Widow... They ooze what makes their respective characters who they are.

Also, I totally agree that if this movie doesn't have a solid story attached to all the action, it will be just as bad as Origins. I don't agree that Logan can't have a solo movie. He most certainly can, if given the right plot. They need to tap into what Weapon X did to him, how they ruined his life and took his memories and how Xavier was the one to give Logan some sort of salvation by giving him purpose. Or they could take the approach of Logan being a total loner and living as a violent man in a world that hates him, all the while trying to keep himself on a leash. The possibilities are endless--just needs a good writer.

#50 Posted by SimonM7 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_sensational: Thank you, that's kind of you to say!

As for a solo movie, I do agree that in the ideal circumstances, it would be possible. I think the reality of how these movies get pitched and made prevents it from turning out the way it *should* though.

I think when you're dealing with an enigmatic character, you need people around him to kind of react to - and reflect on - his characteristics, in lieu of he himself doing so. The way Wolverine played out, you never really got a deeper sense of what was going on with him, and there was merely the single notion of vengeance that propelled him. A simple enough motivation to understand intellectually, but hardly enough to feel invested.

For me, Buffy/Angel is a good example to point to. I dunno if you've watched those shows, but in short: Angel - a 250 year old vampire - plays an important role in Buffy, but he can show up, say something vague, and then take off, and we still have a story and characters to follow. Buffy as a show allows Angel to emerge, be ostensibly "deep" and enigmatic, and then disappear, leaving the audience and the other characters to kinda piece him together as a character. When I watched Buffy and heard that Angel was getting his own show, I thought for sure that'd break the character. To a degree, it "did", as Angel as a show delved deeper into the character and connected what was previously just a series of vague dots, making him more than a mystery. But, more importantly I think, Angel quickly became an ensemble show. We learned more about Angel through the way the other characters prodded him, analysed him and simply reacted to him, than his sweeping action man heroics.

If a Wolverine movie is to work - solo or otherwise - he needs to interact with other people in more nuanced ways. There's more drama in the truck scene with Rogue/Logan in the first 15-ish minutes of X-Men than in the entirety of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, because we learn things about them, and they actually impact each other as characters.

In the ideal circumstances, they would allow a Wolverine movie to "slow down" to that degree, and introduce relationships that aren't just antagonistic or shallow alliances. I feel like I can identify and categorize every "player" in the trailers to this movie, though, and they all fit neatly as basic plot devices to hurl Wolverine forward. I hope I'm wrong, but in the meantime I can't really get excited. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.