Is Wolverine a better hand to hand combatant than CaptainAmerica?

• 65 results
#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Just wondering. I know their both the best of the best, but I've never really seen Cap do anything that put Wolverine to shame... 

#2 Posted by jayskee (1905 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024:

no because 7 out of 10 times cap beats wolverine and I've never seen wolverine do this
#3 Posted by God_Spawn (38114 posts) - - Show Bio
@jayskee said:
"@Gambit1024:

no because 7 out of 10 times cap beats wolverine and I've never seen wolverine do this "

lol wrong dude,
#4 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

no cap is better

#5 Posted by Man of Lengend (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

lol wow cap rocks

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (85102 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.   

Wolverine is one bad mofo, but Cap is the best.  Always has been, always will be.
#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

So if Captain America and Wolverine were to have a fight which involved no powers/weapons and Wolverine had no Adamantium, Cap would put him down? And how long would it take?

#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say that he is.I think Wolverine is alot better than Captain America actually.He has better feats and he's trained with the best masters around the world.

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" I would say that he is.I think Wolverine is alot better than Captain America actually.He has better feats and he's trained with the best masters around the world. "
That's why I'm kinda shocked to see everyone say otherwise. I mean, Wolverine is a Samurai and knows a whole bunch of other Japanese fighting styles and whatnot. Everywhere I go to read about Cap it only says he's a master at Boxing and Judo. 
#10 Posted by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" I would say that he is.I think Wolverine is alot better than Captain America actually.He has better feats and he's trained with the best masters around the world. "
That's why I'm kinda shocked to see everyone say otherwise. I mean, Wolverine is a Samurai and knows a whole bunch of other Japanese fighting styles and whatnot. Everywhere I go to read about Cap it only says he's a master at Boxing and Judo.  "
Cap is one of the most overrated martial artists in comics.Most of his most notable wins in combat are against characters who are superhuman not necessarily great fighters.Don't get me wrong.Cap is good but, better than Wolverine? I doubt that.Wolverine's rouge gallery is stacked with top ranked fighters.Mister X,Lady Deathstrike,Cyber,Daken,Lord Dark Wind etc. etc.
#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: I never thought of looking at it like that way before. I mean who's the top fighter in Cap's rogues gallery? Batroc? lol
#12 Posted by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio
@jayskee said:
no because 7 out of 10 times cap beats wolverine and I've never seen wolverine do this "
You said you've never seen Wolverine do that like it was actually a worthwhile feat.There isn't a single skilled fighter in that whole crowd...and several of those characters could beat Cap one on one.
#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
" @Vance Astro: I never thought of looking at it like that way before. I mean who's the top fighter in Cap's rogues gallery? Batroc? lol "
Batroc is a lame character design but he actually is one of Marvel's best.Cap has some good fighters in his rouge gallery like Crossbones,Taskmaster,Sin and Red Skull but Taskmaster has alot of wins and showings of having the upperhand over Cap.During Siege he was handling Bucky and Cap at the same time and I would compare Sin,Crossbones,or Taskmaster to Mister X,Deathstrike,or Cyber.Not even close as far as threat level.
#14 Posted by The Impersonator (5555 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote for Wolverine. The best mutant there is.

#15 Posted by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Impersonator said:
" I vote for Wolverine. The best mutant there is. "
Jokes on you..Wolverine isn't a mutant he's a Lupine.
#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @The Impersonator said:
Jokes on you..Wolverine isn't a mutant he's a Lupine. "
Blasphemy. The only Lupine there is is Wolfsbane =P
#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @The Impersonator said:
Jokes on you..Wolverine isn't a mutant he's a Lupine. "
Blasphemy. The only Lupine there is is Wolfsbane =P "
Nah uh....
#18 Posted by Octagon Freak (11158 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine's got great hand to hand skills!

#19 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7990 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
But Cap IS one of the best 'masters' in the world. =D
#20 Edited by Blacklightning13 (916 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap has him because of the serum he can remember everything he has been taught. But also Wolverine has had an extrsa 50 years of life.
so i would say cap 6 out of 10.

#21 Posted by perry_411 (428 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: Cap and Wolverine have fought hand to hand, recently (Wolverine with Adamantium) Cap tears the tendons for Wolverine's claws and it's night night. The popped tendons prevent Wolverine from using his claws again. 
#22 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@perry_411: Really? Do you have any scans?
#23 Posted by homeslice (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap blends his fighting styles. I'm absolutely sure he can remember everything he's been taught and has seen so he cud learn new fighting styles quickly. he also uses momentum to hit harder. he's also a better strategist so i am thus inclined to believe tha he wud win in a fight. his shield is also unbreakable so that would help a lot to incapacitate wolveerine.
#24 Edited by perry_411 (428 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: I'm looking around. I think it was during the Wolverine Origins run. Wolverine Origins 3-5. They fight. Wolverine gets his tendons popped, gets a gnarly slash by the Murasama blade. 
#25 Posted by SC (13242 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends what you mean, you ask a question that in one way could be considered pretty specific, but in another sense, is actually pretty broad. People fight to their abilities and physical states. Its hard to separate the two, so judging who is 'better' with that specifically on its own, can be difficult. They have traditionally been fairly even in my reading experience. In their Origins fight I don't think they were fighting hand to hand were they? I forget. Plus Wolverine was being crafty with a blow which i think targeted an artery in Cap's leg? Cap disabled his claws in that same fight? So even there, Wolverine was fighting dirty and achieved his goal, so his cunning won the day there, maybe? Maybe not hand to hand skill. Wolverine probably should be considered more experienced and knowledgeable, but Wolverine tends to rage out and throw his skills and experience out the window most of the time, with various encounters. Cap is usually always fighting smart against most enemies. When Wolverine draws upon his experience and skill, he does pretty well for himself. Just observe his last fight with Daken and some of his encounters with Sabes. Like another poster suggests, Cap probably picked up a tendency to develop his own style better suited to his abilities. Wolverine's healing factor and durability might tend to make him lazy in some ways, generally. Which means adding a lot of disparity when arguing what he might be able to do.   

I think one can justify either answer really. Its pretty broad question. Marvel project Wolverine as the more skilled of the two, in RE handbooks. Still, thats just another angle really. 

#26 Posted by hold_dat (19 posts) - - Show Bio

They fought in Origins to a stand and when it concerned their H2H it was basically a draw.   

logan tries to slash him, Cap blocks with the shield  hits him with the shield and punches logan in the face.

Logan then  back flip kicks him in the face and tells cap "it must piss you off that I'm so much better than you" (to get him unfocused)

Cap throws the shield and logan blocked it 

Cap set him up with that shield throw to grab logan hands and break his tendons (disabling him from using the claws) 

Logan then kicks Cap in a certain spot in his leg (causing some time of bad internal damage and then kicks Cap off of him) 

after some talking between the two, and an  interruption from Nuke the x-men arrive to save Cap from a logan berserker rage. that kick in the leg caused some type of internal bleeding in Cap that put him down for a 10 count.
#27 Posted by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio
@homeslice said:
"Cap blends his fighting styles. I'm absolutely sure he can remember everything he's been taught and has seen so he cud learn new fighting styles quickly. he also uses momentum to hit harder. he's also a better strategist so i am thus inclined to believe tha he wud win in a fight. his shield is also unbreakable so that would help a lot to incapacitate wolveerine. "

You're over-estimating Captain America..
#28 Posted by Squaredcircle (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine takes a lot more damage in combat than cap. If wolverine was such a great martial artist he would avoid taking all of those hits and damage just to avoid the constant pain, if nothing else.
#29 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squaredcircle said:
" Wolverine takes a lot more damage in combat than cap. If wolverine was such a great martial artist he would avoid taking all of those hits and damage just to avoid the constant pain, if nothing else. "
That's the argument I'd take.  Wolverine's healing factor seems to make him "seem" better than he is, because Logan's always getting ripped up all the time by unskilled fighters simply because he's reckless.
Cap is the much more disciplined fighter, and if we're talking no weapons, I'd say Cap's patience and resolve would win out over Wolverine's sloppiness and berserker rage.
#30 Edited by perry_411 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone read Wolverine 6? I like how they've already figured out how to kill him and are executing the plan. 
NO PUN INTENDED!

#31 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
This
@Vance Astro:  I never looked at it that way either, thats very true though.
#32 Posted by Squaredcircle (174 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix said:
" @Squaredcircle said:
" Wolverine takes a lot more damage in combat than cap. If wolverine was such a great martial artist he would avoid taking all of those hits and damage just to avoid the constant pain, if nothing else. "
That's the argument I'd take.  Wolverine's healing factor seems to make him "seem" better than he is, because Logan's always getting ripped up all the time by unskilled fighters simply because he's reckless. Cap is the much more disciplined fighter, and if we're talking no weapons, I'd say Cap's patience and resolve would win out over Wolverine's sloppiness and berserker rage. "

I agree with this 100%. Wolverine loses his temper and gets way too angry and reckless to really be considered a great fighter. he is duarable and has a top-notch healing factor and and is crazy as all get out. These traits and his physical gifts make him dangerous to be sure, but not a better fighter. If he didn't have his claws, skeleton and healing factor, Cap would defeat him 10/10 in hand to hand.
#33 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine confuses me. Looking at his dossier, you'd think he'd be one of the greatest hand-to-hand combatants in any universe, given his extended lifetime of being trained by samurai, the CIA, etc. However, his most consistent tactic seems to be flinging himself at his enemy face-first.

#34 Edited by thegentlemanrogue (722 posts) - - Show Bio

Frankly the belief that Wolverine's fighting style is sloppy or he takes considerably more hits than his peers is antiquated. Does Wolverine frequently trades blows and go shot for shot? Sure. Do Captain America, Daredevil, and Batman do the same thing? Absolutely!  The fact that Wolverine doesn't need to drastically change his fighting style when he throws down with the Hulk like Captain America or DD do, shouldn't dock points from his aggregate skill score. Wolverine doesn't change his fighting style when he fights Bricks because unlike Captain America or Batman he doesn't have to. He can fight the same way he fights streets without a disastrous outcome. If he wanted to jack rabbit and play the evasion game, he could and has shown the ability to do so (avoiding the Hulk's blows with ease)... but it is unnecessary. He fights Hulk the same way he would fight Cap, because he can. Wolverine takes blows from the Hulk, for the same reason Captain America goes shot for shot with Daredevil or Black Panther or Taskmaster, because it isn't detrimental for him to do so. Now sure he takes more hits against fodder... but that is because he fights hundreds of them at a time, and dives right ind turning the situation into a meat grinder. If he wanted to waste his time and have a prolonged fight like Cap or DD, he could do that too, but it is unnecessary and time consuming. Fodder are like rain drops and unlike Cap, Wolverine is worried about getting wet.

Anyway, Wolverine has flat out told Steve to his face that he was better than him., he almost killed Cap with a pressure point attack that created an aneurysm (making Wolverine one only a handful of characters who have ever successfully executed a pressure point attack on someone of Captain America's skill level), he's one-shotted Rogue with a pressure point, completely shattered the Thing like body of Rock of the Buddah with a Karnak style find the weakness attack, and he has beaten Shang-Chi effortlessly in a handful of panels (which is more impressive than any skill feat Captain America has under his belt). I suppose someone could make a fallacious argument that Wolverine's defense is sorely lacking, but even if we assume that is true, the fact remains that in every other way (reflexes, speed, strike power, accuracy, technique and just overall offensive ability) he is off the chart. Silver Samurai has even commented that Wolverine's technique is flawless. 

#35 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine.

#36 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

Logan has severl lifetimes worth of H2H combat experience. This, I imagine would make him the better combatant.

#37 Posted by darkwolverineUSMC (315 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a hard call. Both are very skilled, and in Wolverines words," I'm the best at what I do". In true hand to hand combat, no sheild, no claws, I got to give it to cap. I mean it's true caps studied numerous martail arts, fighting techniques, and would make one heck of an MMA fighter. But hasn't Logan studied different fighting styles. I mean the guy knows how to use a katana.
#38 Posted by BADJEREMIE (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is a dirtier fighter and  he win for that (Wolverine origins:born in blood by daniel way) but who is the best kung fu /karate kid/steven seagal/chuck norris...?I dont no. But to win you have to go dirty.If i have to chose the Master of hand to hands is Mr Miyagi : )

#39 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine FTW
#40 Posted by Dark King (3727 posts) - - Show Bio

wolverine has the far more impressive MA feats than cap on panel.

People need to stop confusing Wolverine willingness to use his mutant regeneration as a sign of lesser skills.
If you have a shotgun or a shield and you use it in a fight it doesnt mean you cant fight, it just the fastest and more efficient way to take some one down.
Wolverine has been studying for well over a century and has fought individuals that could one shot Cap with a simple finger flick due to how skilled they are and Logan has fought these types of men for decades sometimes without a healing factor or claws knowing he cant afford to be touched.

the scan of cap shown dodging all those villains is cool to an extend but it doesnt translate to being a better fighter or more knowledgeable not when you have Wolverine taking on 200 superhumans in a helcarrier while still weaken and just recently revived or when Logan has defeated over 3 thousand ninjas with a burned out healing factor and only being hit once while he maintained his composure and used his Ma skills to accomplish that specific task. 

like gentlemen rogue pointed out Wolverine has the actual long laundry list of MA feats that are thus far untouched by cap.
i guess if we want to say Wolverine will fight Cap as if he still had his adamantium and healing factor than sure there is a large possibility he will lose but that is only b/c you want him to fight at a certain standard that he doesnt show in comics when he needs to fight and win knowing he has no healing factor or adamantium.

contrary to popular believe wolvie is not gonna walk in and allow cap to smack him around when he has no powers,  he will change his fighting style to work around the depowerment.

#41 Posted by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap is the most overrated martial artist in comics.

#42 Posted by Manchine (4184 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL. I have never seen Wolverine do anything equal to Captain America.  Well I can't say anything.  Wolverine gets hit a lot and heals.
#43 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

cap but super close.
#44 Posted by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio
@Manchine said:
" LOL. I have never seen Wolverine do anything equal to Captain America.  Well I can't say anything.  Wolverine gets hit a lot and heals. "
That's because you don't read enough of his comics.
#45 Posted by Dark King (3727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Manchine said:
" LOL. I have never seen Wolverine do anything equal to Captain America.  Well I can't say anything.  Wolverine gets hit a lot and heals. "
he gets hit because he can afford to get hit. same reason cap uses his shield to block 3, 5 combo hits from an opponent.
 do we assume Cap isnt fast enough or skilled enough without his shield and why he relies on it so much against unarmed opponents?

each uses their skill/powerset to their best advantage.
#46 Posted by daredevil21134 (12121 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"Cap is the most overrated martial artist in comics. "

agreed
#47 Edited by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark King said:

" @Manchine said:

he gets hit because he can afford to get hit. same reason cap uses his shield to block 3, 5 combo hits from an opponent.  do we assume Cap isnt fast enough or skilled enough without his shield and why he relies on it so much against unarmed opponents?  each uses their skill/powerset to their best advantage. "
Also because Wolverine's rouges are alot more physically dominant than Cap's and they are skilled on top of that.Most of Wolverine's enemies are nearing top tier in MA knowledge and skill.It's almost guaranteed he's going to get hit.
#48 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio

I would think that the argument of who is the better hand to hand fighter is not something that could be debated.  Cap is a better hand to hand fighter, I think you are turning this into a cap vs wolverine overall argument, which is a pretty heated debate, but just hand to hand fighting...no claws....Cap has a advantage.  Throw the claws and shield....different argument for another time.

#49 Posted by Dark King (3727 posts) - - Show Bio
@ntb1124 said:
" I would think that the argument of who is the better hand to hand fighter is not something that could be debated.  Cap is a better hand to hand fighter, I think you are turning this into a cap vs wolverine overall argument, which is a pretty heated debate, but just hand to hand fighting...no claws....Cap has a advantage.  Throw the claws and shield....different argument for another time. "
if that were remotely true we would have seen Cap h2h feats that surpass Logan's.
so far Cap has not shown the same lvl of skill nor MA knowledge that Logan has displayed though out his career.
an easy way to make such a comparison is to show Cap fighting without his shield and a list of his most skilled MA rogues
#50 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark King: I agree that Cap does not have the amount of feats that Wolverine does due to the fact he has always had some pretty poor opponents, so maybe he just seems more skilled because of it.  Wolverine definitely has fought bigger, badder and more top level bad guys, but one thing that I have always seen is Cap does not lose as much as Wolverine.  Every Wolverine comic is him losing the fight, healing and then coming back and winning the fight.  Wolverine is the most resilient character in comics, but not the best hand to hand fighter.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.