International Poster for 'The Wolverine'

Posted by G-Man (32252 posts) - - Show Bio

Many have likely added The Wolverine to their calendars. If not, be sure to mark July 26 as the day the movie is released in both 3D and 2D. We finally got a look at the full trailer last month. Check out the international poster.

You can see that they must be referring to him as a 'samurai.' You can also see that he's decided to use a sword at the same time he has his claws unleashed. Seems a bit much but why not? He's Wolverine. He's the best there is at what he does. And clearly handling sharp objects is something he's really good at.

Source: SHH

Staff
#1 Posted by comicguy2 (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait for the movie to come out!! Looks cool!!

#2 Posted by kennybaese (1110 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Black_Claw (2968 posts) - - Show Bio

At first Marvel made me curious, now they have my attention.

#4 Edited by Vitaeleous (70 posts) - - Show Bio

And now for the never-ending debate: can Wolverine in fact bend his wrists when his claws are extended? Exactly what does all that anatomy look like? And wouldn't swordplay be a pain in the ass if you couldn't move your wrists?

But I'm going to stick the opinion that he has metal claws and a healing factor, and therefore logic is invalid. Awesomeness prevails.

#5 Edited by nerdork (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

Great poster!

#6 Posted by redhood21 (814 posts) - - Show Bio

Javert wont eff with him now...

#7 Posted by Cap10nate (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha. Look at where the claws are coming out of his hands. It looks like they are coming out from his palm in between his fingers instead of on top.

#8 Edited by darkwingdan (188 posts) - - Show Bio

The quality of the poster does not make the movie. Remember the posters for X-Men: First Class? Especially this one below? Not much quality there.

#9 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6620 posts) - - Show Bio

Jesus. the posters of this movie are TERRIBLE!!! But I still can't wait for the film!

#10 Posted by Evelynquinn (6 posts) - - Show Bio

so cool!

#11 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3758 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#12 Posted by QuantomMan (216 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie is gonna rock

#13 Posted by Mr. Messy Face (121 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha. Look at where the claws are coming out of his hands. It looks like they are coming out from his palm in between his fingers instead of on top.

That's exactly what I was thinking...

#14 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay Wolverine!!!

#15 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6238 posts) - - Show Bio

They always have. That's where movie Wolverine's claws pop from ... out from between his knuckles, not the tops of his hands. Which when you think about it, makes a lot more sense. Nothing weird there.

#16 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm trying to decide whether holding a sword while having blades in your hands extracted I cool...

#17 Posted by Big_Nasty (342 posts) - - Show Bio

They've finally got the hair right. Cool poster by the way.

#18 Posted by darthmaulfistoman (82 posts) - - Show Bio

looks awesome

#19 Posted by Cap10nate (2227 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6238 posts) - - Show Bio

to me, it looks like they are coming out even below the knuckles. Like it would look if he was wrapping his around something that had the claws sticking out from them.

Probably is exactly what he's doing. But the shadow in the poster is misconceiving a little bit as the claws do noticeably ride up to where his flesh is between the knuckles, giving the impression they are indeed "popping" out. I think the lighting didn't do their little 'trick' any favors is all.

#21 Edited by RedRobin183 (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Reminds me of this...

#22 Posted by fartvader (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh. Everything this film has shown us were just a pile of garbage. The posters, the trailer with terrible train scene. *sigh* But i will still give this movie a chance and i hope it proves me wrong

#23 Edited by monkeyonurback_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

well this is.....bad

#24 Posted by dondave (36427 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Alright

#25 Posted by KomicKev (88 posts) - - Show Bio

When did Hugh Jackman get so fat? Ha! Just kidding Hugh - - don't slice my head off please!

#26 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11376 posts) - - Show Bio

Reminds me of this...

Well...now you know where they got the idea from!

#27 Edited by fnu_lnu (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Translated the Japanese / attached it to the image for anyone interested. Super excited for the film!

#28 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel's seriously slacking with the posters lately. I see better stuff done on tumblr by fans who weren't even paid.

#29 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7025 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel's seriously slacking with the posters lately. I see better stuff done on tumblr by fans who weren't even paid.

Wrong company. Fox is the one producing the poster for this movie since they own the film rights. Same thing with First Class. Marvel's posters are actually not that bad.

#30 Edited by xanthiss (177 posts) - - Show Bio

@ellie_knightfall said:

Wrong company. Fox is the one producing the poster for this movie since they own the film rights. Same thing with First Class. Marvel's posters are actually not that bad.

Even better since the Marvel logo is more clearly present on the poster and you can barely see the Fox logo. Can't even make a good poster...featuring Wolverine with a Katana. How do you screw up so much awesome? Lame!

#31 Posted by pjcooper1986 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

@vitaeleous: when his claws are out the stop just before his wrists bend thats why he can move his hands freely

#32 Edited by Vitaeleous (70 posts) - - Show Bio

@pjcooper1986: Hmm. That's what I hear a lot of people saying, but it doesn't quite make sense for me. If the extended claws are only rooted in the hands, they would tear out the moment he tried to cut through anything denser than flesh. There's no muscle mass in the hands to keep them rooted. They'd have to extend further back to where they might find support in the bones of the wrist and forearm, in which case the wrist is rendered inflexible when the claws are out. Anatomically the claws are implausible, but it doesn't matter. This is a comic book hero. In the realm of fiction anything goes.

#33 Edited by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice but, wouldn't it have been more awesome to have something this then for the int'l poster?

#34 Posted by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio

@vitaeleous: The claws are rooted in by their own set of tendons. While still not necessarily anatomically correct as well, they are held in place by something.

#35 Edited by kennybaese (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

And now for the never-ending debate: can Wolverine in fact bend his wrists when his claws are extended? Exactly what does all that anatomy look like? And wouldn't swordplay be a pain in the ass if you couldn't move your wrists?

But I'm going to stick the opinion that he has metal claws and a healing factor, and therefore logic is invalid. Awesomeness prevails.

I think that the claws sit in his forearms when retracted and extend fully to his hands when drawn. So, the only time he can't move his wrists is when extracting or retracting the claws. Otherwise, they sit completely past the joint.

#36 Posted by Vitaeleous (70 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: The thing I can't get behind with that argument is that there simply isn't enough structure within the human hand to support that kind of strain. For example, crucifixion. All the classic painting show the nails through the hands, but that's not historically accurate. If you try and hang a person with nails through their palms the nails will tear through, because there's no muscle or bone mass. They would have actually put the spikes through the wrist or forearm, because there's more mass to support that strain. In the same way, if Wolverine's claws are only sitting in his hands and he takes a swing at a slab of metal or a Sentinel or the Hulk, they're gonna tear straight out the back of his hands.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.