Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16062 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Has Wolverine ever been decapitated?

Avatar image for amazingspidey_707
    AmazingSpidey_707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AmazingSpidey_707

I know they say that is one of his weaknesses so did it ever happen? When he gets decapitated does the same rule that applies to Deadpool apply to him?(Does his head have to be near his body to heal back again?) This sounds very disgusting but if you guys have a scan of this happening would you mind posting it? I just want to see how they showed the way it happened and who did it.

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By luckydomino1

in the alternate universe ultimate comics he got ripped in half by the green hulk but that's it any way wolverine cant be decapited unless the person was using that sword that is his weakness

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By CATPANEXE

Laid out in the Xavier Protocols, which I believe is where this started, was that he had to be decapitated as well his head kept from his body so he wouldn't mend together. So like Deadpool the keeping his head away is key. Likewise how it was shown in AoA that he couldn't have an arm as it was apparently not around to mend, and can't seem to regrow his own skeleton, hence the adamantium protection, and Laura reattaching her own limbs. (silly aside from the biology of this being comical of course, that in AoA no one could make him a prosthetic, given how commonplace they are in Marvel and AoA even?). To my knowledge this has never happened in 616. He has been killed in alternate Universes. A case in point was in What If? Hulk Killed Wolverine where Hulk punched part of his spine out close to his neck and Wolverine died. As well, What If? Enemy Of The State where Kitty phases and fuses her own arm to his head and brain killing him. Again alternate timelines and anyone's reluctant to apply those to canon, odd in a way to me as they are meant to show specifically what would happen in canon where a different factor in play or incidents played out differently then they had in the first place. Likewise though the fate of Sabretooth in 616 could just as well be applied here for arguments sakes really since we're talking about the same power, sans adamantium.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By BatteredArmor

@luckydomino1: You could in theory decapitate him with any sharp object if you go for his joints because they couldn't logically be made out of adamantium or else he couldn't move his neck. of course this is comics so I wouldn't be surprised if they ignored common sense and made his joints from pure adamantium as well

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mayo88m

I would think decapitation would kill him, and I'm kind of wondering why it wouldn't kill anyone with a healing factor since apparently the only way to kill them is to cut off their oxygen supply. I would say decapitation definitely cuts off your ability to breathe, but this is the world of comics after all.

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By luckydomino1

its really hard to decapitate him and if you went between his ribs for his organs the healing factor would kick in so wolverine can be killed but it would take a hell of alot to do it

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Mayo88m said:

I would think decapitation would kill him, and I'm kind of wondering why it wouldn't kill anyone with a healing factor since apparently the only way to kill them is to cut off their oxygen supply. I would say decapitation definitely cuts off your ability to breathe, but this is the world of comics after all.

I agree about suffocation, and even more so in cases where a character is reduced (see Wolverine, twice to my knowledge now) to have no organs at all nor any systems left in their body. Aside that in not being able to breath therefore not function, tissues only regenerate when the same tissue is present to regenerate from. Explanations I've heard, though rarely seen in the comics themselves and they seemed to be imagined by the readers, as well and note, I do not support, are 1.) characters can survive for very long times with just the oxygen they took into there body, as well any other nutrients and so on, Wolverine being one,( the arguments stand against this silliness of course. Even in the comics they do, one case in point where Wolverine eats himself in order to continue surviving. The again he also broke the law of conservation of mass in that instance, so why I'm addressing it seems like splitting hairs, lol) 2.) the tissue inside Wolverines head remembers how his body was constructed, particularly in his DNA, and when he regrows it's somewhat like being born again the first time (makes no sense I know, a person doesn't grow from their DNA, there needs to be more present for mammals, likewise again every specific tissue needs to be present for regeneration, this is how cloning works and transplantation in medical science. Also, even in comics, then Wolverine, Sabretooth and Deadpool should just grow new bodies attached to their heads, like Lobo and The Mask do, as well their bodies new heads of their own, like a flat worm.), 3.) there spirit/essence/being hangs out somewhere outside their physical body, in the vicinity or somewhere else while the body repairs itself or even conducts the healing process, then sort of jump starts their body. (this is somewhat supported, not factually of course, but in comics for certain, characters die and come back to life all the time in their original previously deceased body, Iceman just one example as well of a character who has been reduced to no working body and come back again without actually dying). But, fantasy of course, so whatever they want it.

megamoses10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By megamoses10

yeah, in the ultimate universe, after wolverine fought the hulk he was decapitated by S.H.I.E.L.D and his head was placed on a table but he was still alive. it was in this scene that nick fury told wolverine that his power wasn't to heal, but that his power was survival and that no matter what happened to wolverine, his body would always find a way to survive.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I believe there are comics that depict his time before the adamantium process he underwent where he was decapitated or something like that, but over the recent years or so none. Wolverine has died before but just not permanently and his joints are super strong as well, so it won't be easy by any means since Ba'al, Hulk and Dracula couldn't rip him in half.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RisingBean

I recall a Nazi stated that the Nazi's decapitated Logan multiple times and he kept coming back from the dead. It's in Millar's run.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By ClawFist

Logically, decapitating any character even with a healing factor should kill them, at the very least kill the body eventually as it would be missing the brain to tell the body it needs to heal. Although in Marvel Universe 1610 or Ultimate, it is explained that Wolverine's joints are not Adamantium allowing him to be torn apart at his joints. Ultimate Wolverine had his head removed in Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk, and Nick Fury explained perhaps his healing factor is more about survival then healing, saying his head was breathing through his skin. 616 Wolverine cannot be pulled apart, so it would seem his joints have also been bonded to Adamantium, lol if you insert logic, he really shouldn't be able to move but as said above, this is the world of comics where characters like Cyber can move around freely despite Adamantium grafted to his skin, haha.

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By luckydomino1

lol world of comics that would be really funny if wolverine had this awesome abilites but he wouldnt be able to move

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By The Lobster
    @CATPANEXE said:

Laid out in the Xavier Protocols, which I believe is where this started, was that he had to be decapitated as well his head kept from his body so he wouldn't mend together. So like Deadpool the keeping his head away is key.

Actually Deadpool has had his whole head blown off by the Punisher and he regrew a new one. Although Deadpool and Wolverine's healing factor are two very different things. Deadpool's is far more powerful. Wolverine can't regrow lost limbs from what I remember, Deadpool can. The difference is Deadpool has a healing factor because he is cursed with life by Thanos, so he is unable to die. Wolverine has a healing factor because he's a mutant. 

Photographic Evidence....
    No Caption Provided

Powerzone789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Powerzone789

@The Lobster : actually...deadpool had is healing factor before he was cursed by thanos, and his is a modified version of logan's...

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The Lobster
    @Powerzone789 said:

@The Lobster : actually...deadpool had is healing factor before he was cursed by thanos, and his is a modified version of logan's...

Not really, it didn't work very well till he was cursed with life. All it did was keep him alive from his cancer while he wasted away in Killebrew's workshop. While in the workshop Deadpool got a little too friendly with Death so Thanos gave his healing factor twice the kick. Although Deadpool could still technically visit Death if he died a heavy death like falling off a moutain or something, but only for a few hours or so. Then Deadpool actually died and Thanos cursed him with life literally so he'd never be with death ever, even for a few brief seconds. 

Where Daniel Way's run fits into this......I don't know.
    XMASCATEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By XMASCATEXE

@The Lobster : He didn't grow a new one, Spider-Man and Daredevil picked up the parts and they healed together by the next issue. It's why he had his mask back then as well. That's an out of context scan debaters use to sell a lost argument. The very same writer wrote the issue in the same year where Deadpool's head was removed by the Thunderbolts and had to be retrieved and put back on his body in order for him to function. He would not actually die at that point due to his immortality no, but he cant's grow new bone. His power is tissue regeneration, same as the others. Technically the bones in his skull should be cracked through and though, but then again see comic science is not exactly good science.

* edit: wait, you and I had this discussion already a year or two ago anyways, didn't we? I feel redundant?

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The Lobster
    @XMASCATEXE said:

@The Lobster : He didn't grow a new one, Spider-Man and Daredevil picked up the parts and they healed together by the next issue. It's why he had his mask back then as well. That's an out of context scan debaters use to sell a lost argument. The very same writer wrote the issue in the same year where Deadpool's head was removed by the Thunderbolts and had to be retrieved and put back on his body in order for him to function. He would not actually die at that point due to his immortality no, but he cant's grow new bone. His power is tissue regeneration, same as the others. Technically the bones in his skull should be cracked through and though, but then again see comic science is not exactly good science.

* edit: wait, you and I had this discussion already a year or two ago anyways, didn't we? I feel redundant?

Uh....no.....

First of all in after Spider-man and Daredevil picked up his body, he woke up without a mask. As you can see here. They never mention that Spider-man and Daredevil picked up the parts, they just mention that they threw his body in an apartment building with an open window. 

Second of all, Mike Benson wrote the Suicide Kings series which this happened. Daniel Way and Andy Diggle wrote the Thunderbolts arc. And anything with Daniel Way doesn't link up in terms of continuity. That's my main problem with his series, Daniel Way makes his own continuity.

*ps - I don't think we have has this discussion before.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CATPANEXE

@The Lobster : So the main comics, Deadpool and Thunderbolts aren't canon books because you don't like Way's writing, but a mini is. Sure I'll go with that. Like I said we already went there and in light of that whatever you say is correct. Deadpool can heal from nothing, I'm mistaken. Seriously, whatever you and whomever say is official.

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By luckydomino1

thats crap unable to die why do they give character these abilities

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The Lobster
    @CATPANEXE said:

@The Lobster : So the main comics, Deadpool and Thunderbolts aren't canon books because you don't like Way's writing, but a mini is. Sure I'll go with that. Like I said we already went there and in light of that whatever you say is correct. Deadpool can heal from nothing, I'm mistaken. Seriously, whatever you and whomever say is official.

If it doesn't fit in terms of continuity, then no I don't consider it to be canon. In fact everyone does, if someone reads a book involving Batman becoming a vampire do they say. Oh that's part of continuity because it was written well, no because it doesn't fit with the current comic book continuity. Daniel Way's series doesn't fit either. You can drive trucks through the continuity errors in that series. So if it doesn't fit what has come before it, then I don't consider it to be canon.

The mini fits comic continuity at least.

I guess it all boils down to what writer you like and want to believe. 
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CATPANEXE

@The Lobster : No, it's cool. Like I said I agree with you and rescind anything I said in this thread.

Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By Dakens son

@luckydomino1 said:

in the alternate universe ultimate comics he got ripped in half by the green hulk but that's it any way wolverine cant be decapited unless the person was using that sword that is his weakness

muramasa blade is the name!

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By luckydomino1

@Dakens son: thankyou

Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Dakens son

@luckydomino1: Welcome you are...

samuelurrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By samuelurrea

Hi Buddy, that actually happened in Ultimate Wolverine Vs Hulk #5

Wolverine's powers in my opinion are more linked to cockroaches than to wolves, when he was fighting hulk, Shield sent a nuclear bomb and Logan's body was ripped away in pieces, Shield gathered those pieces and stored them in different floors of the building, then Fury spoke to Logan, saying that his head could survive even without a body, being this possible because of cutaneous breathing, and more impressive, if you put Logan's head into a depressurized room this would go into an hibernation state until there was oxigen again.

Here's an image so you know what i'm talking about, the comic is in spanish because i'm mexican, but i'm pretty sure the images speaks for themselves, Greetings from mexico ;)

No Caption Provided

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 god_spawn  Moderator

@samuelurrea: Ultimate Wolverine and 616 Wolverine are different versions of the characters, so what happens to one doesn't float over and affect the other.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 god_spawn  Moderator

In Prisoner Number Zero, Wolverine was said to have been decapitated by the Nazi's when he spent time in a concentration camp and was killed so many times. He basically trolled the hell out of them.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: that was a pretty good read. He haunted the hell out of the top commander at the camp lol

renchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this is a wolverine decapitation page here but in regards to the guy that said deadpools healing factor was from thanos are you mad he was given it in the weapon X program along with wolverine, as deadpools was the second to revive this treatment he as a result had the stronger healing factor so if wolverine got decapitated by and adimantium blade he would die deadpool probably not he would just need to be near his head to regenerate

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dayvid3

yeah, in the ultimate universe, after wolverine fought the hulk he was decapitated by S.H.I.E.L.D and his head was placed on a table but he was still alive. it was in this scene that nick fury told wolverine that his power wasn't to heal, but that his power was survival and that no matter what happened to wolverine, his body would always find a way to survive.

Ugh, I read that. I thought it was some kind of comical thing. There's so much wrong with that, superpowers or not

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
    deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renchey said:

I know this is a wolverine decapitation page here but in regards to the guy that said deadpools healing factor was from thanos are you mad he was given it in the weapon X program along with wolverine, as deadpools was the second to revive this treatment he as a result had the stronger healing factor so if wolverine got decapitated by and adimantium blade he would die deadpool probably not he would just need to be near his head to regenerate

Weapon X gave Dead Pool his healing factor but Dead Pool got the Hulk to kill him so that he could be with Mistress Death. Thanos appeared brought him back to life and wills him to be unkillable so as to stay away from Mistress Death.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By rev_sulphur

In alternate timelines like Age Of Ultron he has been (or at least it was implied)

No Caption Provided

OzMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clawfist: Well it's been said that Lobo can completely regenerate himself from a single drop of blood, meaning his cells don't require the jump-start from the brain. Then again, we can chalk this up to his unique Czarnian physiology.

You're right though, it's usually thought that decapitation is the best way to kill Wolverine, it's just severing the adamantium spine that's the tricky part.

Avatar image for andresantiago88
    andresantiago88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ozmonkey: On the Wolverine (2003 - 2009) issue #32 a nazi commander tried to kill wolverine in many different ways including beheading, but he still managed to survive, killing the nazi by driving him crazy (very sadistic). However, this was before he got adamantium skelleton. Also on this same series, on the Enemy of the State arc, Gorgon managed to kill Wolverine, whom is then ressurected by the hand and brainwashed by hydra. However it was not said how Gorgon killed him.

omnipotence88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By omnipotence88

@mayo88m: if that could kill him how did he survive the nuke

randell1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

beheading won't initially kill either of them but eventually it will Wolverine has stated that if the brain is separated from the rest of the body long enough it will start to Rot and if Rot kicks in the brain will die and actual death will occur as there healing can not fix Rot

shahidmaqsood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine has been decapitated?That means his death.

So,Yeah this has happened.Interestingly enough Deadpool decapitated and killed wolverine in comic "Deadpool" kills Marvel Universe.

Deadpool's head can re-grow in few hours including the brain .

I write about them and if you want mind boggling views about them then keep visiting this website.

http://passionateviews.blogspot.com/2015/10/17-uncanny-views-about-wolverine.html

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in the ultimate universe

No Caption Provided

Rewall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rewall
    Carloc21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually don't think it can kill him anymore in fact I think he could survive being decapitation rather easily here's why ok in the Ultimate universe his healing factor was much weaker and yet when his head was removed from his body he was still alive and talking I might add so if Earth 616 Wolverine who's healing factor is much more powerful and regenerated from a blood cell he to in fact could totally survive decapitation and probably want a beer afterwards look Xavier's information is a little outdated and he was talking about how he could kill Wolverine back then but The with how powerful Logan's healing factor has become since then well decapitation looks like a walk in the park and the same thing goes for drowning but anyway that's just what I think

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.