Has anyone pulled one of Wolverine's claws off?

#1 Posted by Malonius (894 posts) - - Show Bio

He's got bone claws coated with adamantium. Unbreakable! Never need to sharpen them! ...................but, his claws are just attached via tendons and ligaments, right? How come no one just grabs one on the flat and yanks them out? You could use vice grips if you didn't have the finger strength.

#2 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Omg. I nearly died of laughter when I saw the vice grips. Anyways, I don't know much about Logan's biology, but I would say his healing factor would attribute to it somehow.

#3 Edited by God_Spawn (38139 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. At the most I know when Wolverine was pretty swamped and his HF was hampered, Cap managed to crush the tendons in his arms so he retracted them. The other time when he faced Sentry and Bob was squeezing the claws closer and closer causing Logan intense pain. Logan's joints, tendons and ligaments seem to be pretty strong at least when it comes to tearing. People like Hulk and Ba'al (70+ ton Mesopotamian god) couldn't pull his joints out of socket. Wolverine's claws seem to be in their pretty tight but the tendons seem to able to be damaged when he is tired enough to retract his claws cause he can't heal quick enough or when he is in better shape, they can be squeezed together by sufficient strength (like Sentry.)

#4 Posted by Malonius (894 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Nope. At the most I know when Wolverine was pretty swamped and his HF was hampered, Cap managed to crush the tendons in his arms so he retracted them. The other time when he faced Sentry and Bob was squeezing the claws closer and closer causing Logan intense pain. Logan's joints, tendons and ligaments seem to be pretty strong at least when it comes to tearing. People like Hulk and Ba'al (70+ ton Mesopotamian god) couldn't pull his joints out of socket. Wolverine's claws seem to be in their pretty tight but the tendons seem to able to be damaged when he is tired enough to retract his claws cause he can't heal quick enough or when he is in better shape, they can be squeezed together by sufficient strength (like Sentry.)

I think I've seen both the fight w/ Cap and the fight w/Sentry you bring up. It'd be a pretty gruesome Lobo-style tactic to rip out Logan's own claw and stab him with it, but it shouldn't be out the range of possibility for people with sufficient strength. His bone claw would grow back. I'm surprised it's never been done.

#5 Edited by God_Spawn (38139 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius said:

@god_spawn said:

I think I've seen both the fight w/ Cap and the fight w/Sentry you bring up. It'd be a pretty gruesome Lobo-style tactic to rip out Logan's own claw and stab him with it, but it shouldn't be out the range of possibility for people with sufficient strength. His bone claw would grow back. I'm surprised it's never been done.

That's pretty much what I said but it also seems to depend on his healing factor whether it is taxed or not. And yeah, his claws would grow back. He could probably salvage the adamantium claw too and just rip out the bone and put the ady one back. It happened to X-23.

#6 Posted by TDK_1997 (15007 posts) - - Show Bio

No one I can think of.

#7 Posted by BlackArmor (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

One time I snuck into the X-mansion and tried.......it did not end well for me.

#8 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: this you?

#9 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't want to be the one to try...

#10 Posted by BlackArmor (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: No but my experience was similar the major difference being that he stabbed me somewhere......else. Let's just say I'm significantly taller than Rouge

#11 Posted by Dakens son (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah!I once did and he farted!

#12 Posted by Romulus9000 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

There's this. But that isnt ripping his claws off that is just Magneto ripping out his Adamantium. Still awesome comic though.

#13 Posted by SupahForeigner (227 posts) - - Show Bio

I would put my bet on that Magneto would have the best chance of doing so? Possibly through using the adamantium bonded to Logan's claws to pull his claws off? Just a suggestion but I'm sure it is possible.

#14 Posted by RazzaTazz (9680 posts) - - Show Bio

For the short time when the Adamantium was taken off of his skeleton he showed up once in Heroes for Hire and stated that he wouldn't want to fight a nearly invulnerable character with his claws because they might break.

#15 Edited by PowerHerc (85113 posts) - - Show Bio

It was stated, possibly by Wolverine's descendant Rancor, in the Guardians of the Galaxy series from the early 90's (which was set 1,000 years in the future) that Gladiator had broken one of Wolverine's claws off. The Adamantium skeleton of Wolverine, missing one claw, was later used as a weapon in the same series. Here is a panel of Rancor fighting Wolverine's skeleton. Notice Rancor has the broken-off claw in her right hand.

Here's Rancor scalping one of her lieutenants with the claw:

This is evidence that one of Wolverine's claws has been shown to be broken/removed.

Though, as far as I know, it was only stated (never shown on panel) that Gladiator broke it off.

#16 Edited by k4tzm4n (49905 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyber has tried to but he was interrupted.

Staff
#17 Posted by Malonius (894 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: @k4tzm4n: Thanks, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

#18 Posted by PowerHerc (85113 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius: You're welcome.

#19 Posted by jloneblackheart (5541 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc It was shown on
#20 Posted by jloneblackheart (5541 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc (stupid iPhone) it was shown on panel. I uploaded it to the gallery but can't post it from my phone.
#21 Posted by PowerHerc (85113 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

@PowerHerc (stupid iPhone) it was shown on panel. I uploaded it to the gallery but can't post it from my phone.

It was huh? That's good. I hate it when things are only told to have happened but aren't shown.

I hope you can eventually post it. I don't remember ever seeing it but I'd like too.

#22 Posted by Malonius (894 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Have you got the scan of where it happened to X-23? What issue?

#23 Posted by darkhalf (29 posts) - - Show Bio

wolverine's face is ugly on this picture (picture at the top). he looks goulish.

#24 Posted by God_Spawn (38139 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius: I don't. I just know X-23 had her arm chopped off and she regrew a new one. She salvaged the ady claws from her old arm and then burnt the arm.

#25 Posted by jloneblackheart (5541 posts) - - Show Bio
Wolverine vs Gladiator - Galactic Guardians #1

@PowerHerc: @Malonius:

#26 Posted by Malonius (894 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

Yay! I suppose that's not cannon though. Oh well. Gladiator's such a boss he didn't even bother grabbing it on the flat of the blade.

#27 Posted by jloneblackheart (5541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius: It's canon... just in the Earth-691 reality.

#28 Posted by PowerHerc (85113 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

There it is! :D

Thanks!

#29 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. Good to know.

#30 Posted by Demonturtle (455 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that after he lost his adamantium to Magneto, when it was given back to him by Apocalypse it was grafted to his molecular structure so it would always be apart of him and couldnt be removed?

#31 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

its not canon. its in a different reality.

#32 Posted by Pwok21 (2459 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: The feat is canon, it's just not based in the main universe.

Gladiator could break Logan's claws in 616 but he just hasn't had a chance / hasn't thought of doing it.

#33 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pwok21: so by your logic cap can beat thor easily because it happened in other marvel realities. right?

#34 Posted by FinnVarra (226 posts) - - Show Bio

S'ym broke one of his claws once if I remember correctly.

#35 Posted by Pwok21 (2459 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: Under certain circumstances, yes. If Hulk and other tried to kill Thor and he was nearly dead then yes, Cap could kill him.

My logic isn't flawed, but your reasoning is.

#36 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pwok21: you have blindly walked into it. under certain circumstances!! we dont know anything about that wolverine or his skeleton. so no its not canon.

#37 Posted by Pwok21 (2459 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: That really doesn't matter. Wolverine's claws have been broken in 616 (scans on previous page) so to say that alone makes them different doesn't work.

#38 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pwok21: wolverine's claws have never been pulled out in 616. the most that anybody has done is grind them against his knuckles like cyber did in the previous page. sorry they're unbreakable/unremovable so far.

#39 Edited by HellionVulcan (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

Gladiator in another universe did very easy so i'd rank him up there in any universe ,ha knew it'd be posted such a badass moment .

#40 Posted by Jeanniebird (115 posts) - - Show Bio

Originally, Chris Claremont planed a storyline in which Wolverine went evil. In the course of that storyline would have been a major showdown between Wolverine and Colossus in which Peter pulled out Wolverine's claws at their roots. But Claremont stopped writing the X-Men before he could write that story arc, so I guess it's a mute point.

#41 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

It was in Limbo, though, where different physics likely applied

#42 Posted by tylertothemax (91 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius: this is a really long post so sorry if its already been said, but the closest thing ive seen is when Magneto took advantage of Wolverine's metallic body structure in Fatal Attractions

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.