Does Wolverine need to eat?

#1 Posted by gibson (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Buddy and i are having a classic nerd argument. Wolverine of 616: Does he need to eat? I say yes, because in order to regenerate he needs fuel, else the body would consume it own fat/lean muscle to the point of starvation. He says no, and that he would just his cells wouldn't need fuel.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe that he still needs to eat. He doesn't have any powers that would prevent him from needing nourishment and energy. He may have a prolonged sense of hunger and thirst but consumption of food and water seems definite..

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

The energy has to come from somewhere. So yes.

#4 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1668 posts) - - Show Bio

@gibson: I think we do have a nerd problem here. Let's say he doesn't eat, his body in order to protect the mind starts to break down muscle at the beginning and fat (really really later). Wouldn't his healing factor be able to fix it? I remember his whole body being burnt, couldn't the healing factor cope with this? His healing factor can restore muscular fibers after being completely destroyed, wouldn't that be a similar case? But then, his healing factor is part of his body. No energy, no healing factor? How does it go? So, when he was completely burnt, his body had energy to restore everything? Where was that energy hidden, when his body had no muscular tissue, therefore no mitochondria, therefore no energy? I think you've came up with a serious nerd problem here... ;))))))))))))))

#5 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't remember the issue, but there was one where he had to eat yes. He ended up eating, himself and letting his healing factor cover it. There's a statement there about the law of conservation of mass as usual. But on panel, canon, among Wolverine's other attributes, he needs to eat. Also he needs to drink beer.

#6 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE: Come to think of it, Wolverine has stated at one point he was trapped on a mountain or glacier or something freezing like that and he had to use his claws to scrape off the flesh from his arm so he could eat it to survive. It was a rip, eat, heal, repeat cycle until he was okay again.

#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, he needs to eat. Technically, by eating his own limbs, he could be his own endless buffet.

#8 Edited by Enemybird (3138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

Yeah, he needs to eat. Technically, by eating his own limbs, he could be his own endless buffet.

Well energy is loss in the krebs cycle so i dont think thats possible 
#9 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

even the unstopable beast needs food

#10 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but he mostly gets his calories from beer.

#11 Posted by Poontanglife (66 posts) - - Show Bio

#12 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course he still needs food, he's an animal of course.

#13 Posted by Maikel (374 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArturoCalaKayVee: And does he not need to take a crap because his body can not process everything? Or does he eat that too?

#14 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

@Maikel: No...he needs to use the bathroom...and I doubt he eats his own feces.

#15 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

Does eating oneself count as cannibalism?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.