Does anyone else hate Hugh Jackman as Wolverine...?

#1 Posted by jphulk26 (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

... And couldn´t care less for another Wolverine film starring him. The X-Men should be up there with Batman, when it comes to popularity and relatability, but I think most of the movies have completely destroyed the X-Mens street cred. Why don´t they do a movie with the animated series cast, an epic 3d one, with a slightly darker tone, and all new cast.

It could be one where Prof X is dead, have them face Sinister or Apocolypse. It just makes sense to me, Hugh Jackman needs to go and they need to take the focus off Wolverine. He´s more cool when he isn´t the focus. I´d love to see that movie jubilee, Jean Grey (or maybe she´s dead and Psylocke is in it) Rogue with the power and attitude she had in the comics (can anyone say instant new comic sex symbol, who´ll give Catwoman a run for her money), with Beast, older rugged Wolverine, Gambit and Cyclops.

#2 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Hugh Jackman is a great Wolverine, it's just the direction and script that hasn't been great so far.

#3 Posted by modunhanul (403 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

I think Hugh Jackman is a great Wolverine, it's just the direction and script that hasn't been great so far.

Agreed.

#4 Posted by End_Boss (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Hugh Jackman was practically born to play Wolverine, the same way that RDJ is the only Tony Stark imaginable now. The movies may have sucked, but it wasn't on Jackman.

#5 Posted by Cap10nate (2154 posts) - - Show Bio

I also really like him as Wolverine.

#6 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never actually liked him as Wolverine, he is a good actor and all but nothing about him really screams Wolverine......

#7 Posted by TheMultiverse (134 posts) - - Show Bio

he could appear more "gruff" but that's not on him, that's on the studio having the guts to make him more gritty VS ..well Disney. I like him as Logan, but those movies. :( ...........that magic bullet......hurt my brain for months.

#8 Posted by Eternelle (1070 posts) - - Show Bio

@End_Boss said:

Hugh Jackman was practically born to play Wolverine, the same way that RDJ is the only Tony Stark imaginable now. The movies may have sucked, but it wasn't on Jackman.

Exactly this.

#9 Posted by God_Spawn (37300 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheMultiverse said:

he could appear more "gruff" but that's not on him, that's on the studio having the guts to make him more gritty VS ..well Disney. I like him as Logan, but those movies. :( ...........that magic bullet......hurt my brain for months.

X-Men movie rights are owned by Fox, not Disney.

#10 Posted by PowerHerc (81566 posts) - - Show Bio

Except for Hugh Jackman being too tall to play Wolverine I think he's great in the role.

#11 Posted by jloneblackheart (5496 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't overall care too much for the X-Men movies, but I think he is one of the best parts.

#12 Posted by Technicolorville (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Hugh Jackman was born to play the role.

#13 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope hate the writer's who have tamed the wolverine.

#14 Posted by Doombert (517 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate it. Hate it hate it. Jackman creates a great...something...whatever the fuck that character is in the movies...but the character I consistently see in the movies is not Wolverine (as I like to think of him). I always pictured him as shorter, harrier, thicker and more of an asshole.

#15 Posted by atonemented (43 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him as Wolverine. The X-Men films have been pretty mediocre though. HJ looked like Wolverine during some parts of Les Miserables

#16 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17260 posts) - - Show Bio

F*ck yes he rocks.

#17 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11075 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Hugh is the best possible choice to play Wolverine. It's very hard to find someone who can match the exact characteristics of a comic book character and I think he pulls it off well. It's not his fault that the movies aren't on par to what they should be, Fox just creates crappy superhero movies. It's more for money than for quality, in my opinion, for them.

#18 Posted by TheMultiverse (134 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@TheMultiverse said:

X-Men movie rights are owned by Fox, not Disney.

i absolutely knew that, it was a diss to the lack of blood and such in the previous films. Logan needs to show more teeth, and some blood. (newly released pics show blood so yay)

#19 Posted by snyderman567 (152 posts) - - Show Bio

No, its just you.

#20 Posted by Z3RO180 (6298 posts) - - Show Bio

Street creed ? You do relies that the 90s are finished right.

#21 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Except for Hugh Jackman being too tall to play Wolverine I think he's great in the role.

yeah this is my only beef, he's too tall . Wolverine should never be able to stare directly at Cyclops face to face, like in the first Xmen movie he should be looking up at him and other characters from the movies! they don't call him runt for nothing!

#22 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3101 posts) - - Show Bio

I think now that Jackman is older he defiantly looks more like Wolverine and hopefully seems more like Wolverine. The thing is now that he is older he cant do as much action sequences that he did in X1+2. Here's hoping that The Wolverine is good, trailer next week! :)

#23 Edited by jphulk26 (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb: @modunhanul: @Cap10nate: @Crimsonlord53: @Doombert: @TheMultiverse: @snyderman567: @Z3RO180:@Ninjablade09: @evilvegeta74:

@Z3RO180 said:

Street creed ? You do relies that the 90s are finished right.

No really, it isn´t 1998? Look the point is that we´ve had this same lame story for the past 10 years or so; I never liked any of the X-Men movies. I didn´t like most of the casting either, however Jackman was great, but now I think the whole concept and that whole story and tone is getting old. Especially in a post- dark knight rises era. X-Men animated series in the 90s was just as cool as Batman, what happened? The movies killed off that street cred completely.

I think the last X-Men movie went in the right direction, First Class was actually the best x-Men film I´ve seen; but once again they´re going back to familiar ground and connecting it with the old universe. I would much rather that they did two x-men series of films: First Class and one set in a dystopian future, where Charles is dead, and then find away to connect the stories to meet in the middle. This could give them a chance to really give the x-men that gritty, mature, scifi feel it had in the cartoon. I mean not one of the films was better than an average episode the show. Yeah Jackman is good, but lets not blow it out of proportion, I think there are actors who could do a much better job and I also think after the next wolverine, it may be time for him to pass the torch. I personally have no interest whatsoever in seeing it.

My pick for wolverine and guaranteed to do a better job.

Jeffery Dean Morgan

#24 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate Jackman as Wolverine, but I wish they would've chosen someone who looked more like Logan physically. Jackman is tall and lean and classically handsome. Logan should be short, stocky and wild looking. But my complaints about Jackman are only from that standpoint--that he doesn't really look like Logan. He's a great actor and he plays the part pretty well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.