Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16078 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Does anyone else hate Hugh Jackman as Wolverine...?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jphulk26

... And couldn´t care less for another Wolverine film starring him. The X-Men should be up there with Batman, when it comes to popularity and relatability, but I think most of the movies have completely destroyed the X-Mens street cred. Why don´t they do a movie with the animated series cast, an epic 3d one, with a slightly darker tone, and all new cast.

It could be one where Prof X is dead, have them face Sinister or Apocolypse. It just makes sense to me, Hugh Jackman needs to go and they need to take the focus off Wolverine. He´s more cool when he isn´t the focus. I´d love to see that movie jubilee, Jean Grey (or maybe she´s dead and Psylocke is in it) Rogue with the power and attitude she had in the comics (can anyone say instant new comic sex symbol, who´ll give Catwoman a run for her money), with Beast, older rugged Wolverine, Gambit and Cyclops.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I think Hugh Jackman is a great Wolverine, it's just the direction and script that hasn't been great so far.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By modunhanul

@guttridgeb said:

I think Hugh Jackman is a great Wolverine, it's just the direction and script that hasn't been great so far.

Agreed.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By End_Boss

Hugh Jackman was practically born to play Wolverine, the same way that RDJ is the only Tony Stark imaginable now. The movies may have sucked, but it wasn't on Jackman.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Cap10nate

I also really like him as Wolverine.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle

I have never actually liked him as Wolverine, he is a good actor and all but nothing about him really screams Wolverine......

TheMultiverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheMultiverse

he could appear more "gruff" but that's not on him, that's on the studio having the guts to make him more gritty VS ..well Disney. I like him as Logan, but those movies. :( ...........that magic bullet......hurt my brain for months.

Eternelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eternelle

@End_Boss said:

Hugh Jackman was practically born to play Wolverine, the same way that RDJ is the only Tony Stark imaginable now. The movies may have sucked, but it wasn't on Jackman.

Exactly this.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@TheMultiverse said:

he could appear more "gruff" but that's not on him, that's on the studio having the guts to make him more gritty VS ..well Disney. I like him as Logan, but those movies. :( ...........that magic bullet......hurt my brain for months.

X-Men movie rights are owned by Fox, not Disney.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

Except for Hugh Jackman being too tall to play Wolverine I think he's great in the role.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I don't overall care too much for the X-Men movies, but I think he is one of the best parts.

Avatar image for technicolorville
    Technicolorville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Technicolorville

Yeah, Hugh Jackman was born to play the role.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Crimsonlord53

Nope hate the writer's who have tamed the wolverine.

Doombert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Doombert

I hate it. Hate it hate it. Jackman creates a great...something...whatever the fuck that character is in the movies...but the character I consistently see in the movies is not Wolverine (as I like to think of him). I always pictured him as shorter, harrier, thicker and more of an asshole.

atonemented

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By atonemented

I like him as Wolverine. The X-Men films have been pretty mediocre though. HJ looked like Wolverine during some parts of Les Miserables

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By kidchipotle

I think that Hugh is the best possible choice to play Wolverine. It's very hard to find someone who can match the exact characteristics of a comic book character and I think he pulls it off well. It's not his fault that the movies aren't on par to what they should be, Fox just creates crappy superhero movies. It's more for money than for quality, in my opinion, for them.

TheMultiverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheMultiverse

@god_spawn said:

@TheMultiverse said:

X-Men movie rights are owned by Fox, not Disney.

i absolutely knew that, it was a diss to the lack of blood and such in the previous films. Logan needs to show more teeth, and some blood. (newly released pics show blood so yay)

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By snyderman567

No, its just you.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By z3ro180

Street creed ? You do relies that the 90s are finished right.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By evilvegeta74

@PowerHerc said:

Except for Hugh Jackman being too tall to play Wolverine I think he's great in the role.

yeah this is my only beef, he's too tall . Wolverine should never be able to stare directly at Cyclops face to face, like in the first Xmen movie he should be looking up at him and other characters from the movies! they don't call him runt for nothing!

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Ninjablade09

I think now that Jackman is older he defiantly looks more like Wolverine and hopefully seems more like Wolverine. The thing is now that he is older he cant do as much action sequences that he did in X1+2. Here's hoping that The Wolverine is good, trailer next week! :)

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jphulk26

@guttridgeb: @modunhanul: @Cap10nate: @Crimsonlord53: @Doombert: @TheMultiverse: @snyderman567: @Z3RO180:@Ninjablade09: @evilvegeta74:

@Z3RO180 said:

Street creed ? You do relies that the 90s are finished right.

No really, it isn´t 1998? Look the point is that we´ve had this same lame story for the past 10 years or so; I never liked any of the X-Men movies. I didn´t like most of the casting either, however Jackman was great, but now I think the whole concept and that whole story and tone is getting old. Especially in a post- dark knight rises era. X-Men animated series in the 90s was just as cool as Batman, what happened? The movies killed off that street cred completely.

I think the last X-Men movie went in the right direction, First Class was actually the best x-Men film I´ve seen; but once again they´re going back to familiar ground and connecting it with the old universe. I would much rather that they did two x-men series of films: First Class and one set in a dystopian future, where Charles is dead, and then find away to connect the stories to meet in the middle. This could give them a chance to really give the x-men that gritty, mature, scifi feel it had in the cartoon. I mean not one of the films was better than an average episode the show. Yeah Jackman is good, but lets not blow it out of proportion, I think there are actors who could do a much better job and I also think after the next wolverine, it may be time for him to pass the torch. I personally have no interest whatsoever in seeing it.

My pick for wolverine and guaranteed to do a better job.

Jeffery Dean Morgan

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By sj_esposito

I don't hate Jackman as Wolverine, but I wish they would've chosen someone who looked more like Logan physically. Jackman is tall and lean and classically handsome. Logan should be short, stocky and wild looking. But my complaints about Jackman are only from that standpoint--that he doesn't really look like Logan. He's a great actor and he plays the part pretty well.

nicos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Growing up in the late 80s early 90s I always imagined a real life wolverine to have a Micheal Ironside/ Jack Nicholson ish bad guy demeanor, That plus short and hairy as usually depicted in the comics and also sometimes a bit disheveled in appearance, of course both of these actors would be considered above the age requirement today. I think the creators of the films may have deliberately taken what they thought were the the core aspects of the character such as personality, powers, and some physical aspects like the hairstyle and body hair while also making changes which they thought were necessary in order to make him the lead character and appealing to the many, such as height, "handsome" lead character like chops and the overall making him the center of almost everything that counts story wise. Either that or more than half the team didn't know shit about X-Men....which I find a little hard to believe....or maybe not so hard.....I dunno. Overall Jackman is not my vision of a great live action wolverine and none of the films are exactly my vision of what a great movie adaptation of the x men should be, yet I commend the effort, if in 2000 someone attempted to put Tom Cruise in yellow spandex I honestly don't know how good that would have turned out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He was badass in X1 and 2.

ZhangThong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: I don’t hate Hugh Jackman or his Wolverine. Jackman seems like one of the nicest people on earth, and I really hope his career will continue to grow, now that he is done with the character. However, I hate some of the choices that were made with his characters.

For one, his martial arts skills were very underrepresented in movies, I feel. People often bitch about how Chris Nolan’s Batman is weak and can’t fight for shit, but Fox-Men’s Wolvie seems even more weaker. I hate that Mystique was made more capable at fighting than him. Not only is it complete bullshit, because Mystique wasn’t even a fighter in the comics, but she’d just break her every bone if she’d try to kick Wolvie like she did in the first movie. And don’t get me started on how Wolvie needed help from his Japanese sidekicks to deal with a bunch of ninjas, even though one of the most popular comic images of Wolvie is him breaking through window while fighting an army of ninjas all by himself.

And then there is the entire X-Men Origins, which completely misses the point of what the origin of Wolvie is. Wolverine was violated by the Weapon X program. You can pretty much draw allusion between his captivity and rape. That’s what Cornelius and his people did to him. It wasn’t his conscious decision. He was forced against his will to become a meat for them to experiment on. Origins completely abounded that concepts and instead tried to justify his origin by making it so that he did it out of love for a woman that he thought was dead but she wasn’t and she actually faked her death and all of this crap completely ruined the move for me and I don’t know why I keep typing…

So, in short, I hate some of the choices made with the character. Jackman’s performance was always on point. And, hate me, but I think X-3 was the most definitive take on Wolvie in film. He really felt like comic book Wolverine. And he actually had a decent fight at the forest and showed his skills better than in two previous movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.