Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16086 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Could Darren Aronofsky Be Directing Wolverine 2?

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
     The last time Aronofsky and Jackman worked together...
     The last time Aronofsky and Jackman worked together...

Darren Aronofsky directing WOLVERINE 2? That would certainly be... unorthodox. Deadline’s saying that he’s currently in the running for the job, vying against the previously-named David Slade. Aronofsky and Hugh Jackman have previously worked together on the criminally-underrated THE FOUNTAIN and it sounds like the actor wants to re-up that collaboration. While his resume includes gritty indy dramas like THE WRESTLER and REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, as well as esoteric mind-benders like PI, Aronofsky’s actually been circling this kind of a project for a few years, now. Most recently, he was going to direct a remake of ROBOCOP that ultimately never materialized and, prior to that, he was attached to an adaptation of Frank Miller’s RONIN. He was even involved in another unrealized Frank Miller adaptation in addition to that - - a live-action version of BATMAN: YEAR ONE that eventually evolved into BATMAN BEGINS.

In other words, Aronofsky’s definitely got some comics cred. == TEASER ==

Deadline’s also saying that there might be another scheduling conflict relating to the DEADPOOL movie. Robert Rodriguezwants to do it - - he likes the script - - but he’s not sure if he can fit it in between his commitments to MACHETE and SPY KIDS 4. That’s more conflicts, of course, on top of those Ryan Reynolds is having with his commitments to GREEN LANTERN, SAFE HOUSE and, possibly, R.I.P.D.  

Making the six degrees of separation in these circles even more acute, Robert Schwentke, who directed the upcoming comics-flick RED, was also vying for the WOLVERINE 2 director’s chair for a while. Now, he’s opted out to either do THE OSTERMAN WEEEKEND, an adaptation of a non-Jason Bourne Robert Ludlum novel, or… guess what else? R.I.P.D.  

Crazy coincidence, right?

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of   HYBRID BASTARDS!  &   UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon   here  & here.

mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#1  Edited By mimschkin

Well this is going to be a merry film if made by Aronofsky.

Crimson Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Crimson Eagle

Wait, I thought they finished filming Green Lantern.

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bandito

Wait, what part is coincidental?

undead646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By undead646

Darren Aronofsky is too good for Wolverine 2

Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Bobby X

I loved the fountain and Aronofsky is one of my absolute favorite directors. I'd be very interested in seeing his apporach and development of the character. I'd be lying though if I said I wasn't a bit apprehensive. This decision seems eerily similar to the mistake they made with the first Wolverine.  

They went with Gavin Hood, who is an award winning artsy-fartsy type director lol who Jackman really wanted to work with but had never directed this kind of big budget action movie before...we all know how that turned out....
    antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By antiterra

If Aronofsky directs Wolverine 2, he might just establish the world record for biggest leap in quality between a movie and its sequel in the history of film-making.

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By elayem98
    @Crimson Eagle:  they did, but they are working on a sequel right after the first is done
    Jim Halpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jim Halpert

The Deadpool movie will not get made.

All this speculation seems to be for nothing, since it just hints that this movie will be in production hell.
    LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By LoganRogue24

to be honest what is the point of Wolverine 2 sinse the first film was a plot hole mess. what pissed me off about Wolverine  is the adamantium bullet thing the lab scene not matching his dreams from 1 and 2. the lab set looking nothing like the one he found in x-2. hell even the dog tags he gets in Woloverine are not even closely the ones he gave Rogue in x-1.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By goldenkey

I don't know how to react to Aronofsky doing Wolverine.  Pi seemed liked you needed the first 15 minutes and the last 15 of the movie, the rest was just WTF.  The fountain was visually nice, but the movie itself was......meh.     The Wrestler was great, and Requiem for Dream was good but it made you want to go to rehab when it was over.  I do love the Jennifer Connelly scene at the end tho.  YOU KNOW THE ONE

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kid_Zombie

wow. If this happens that is pretty crazy. I really cant picture him doing wolverine, maybe because i just automatically assume wolverine 2 will be bad. I just don't know what to think any more...ha ha

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sagesebas

Machete is over and F the spy kids movie, Deadpool could be so awesome

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Aronofsky’s Wolverine 2 would rival if not surpass The Dark Knight, the man is one of the best directors out there, not to mention The Fountain being one of the best films of the last twenty five years.

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bandito
    @Omega Ray Jay said:
    " Aronofsky’s Wolverine 2 would rival if not surpass The Dark Knight. "
    In what possible way(s)?
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @Bandito: The style of his films and the powerful characterizations that he delivers would be exactly what a character like Wolverine deserves on the screen, not to mention the atmospheric mood delivered with another collaboration with Clint Mansell on the score (Please Odin above), that's a partnership on a par with Spielberg and Williams.
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @sagesebas said:
    " Machete is over and F the spy kids movie, Deadpool could be so awesome "
    Not could. WILL be awesome.
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Pizawle

No chance. Darren would never touch this crap.

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bandito
    @Omega Ray Jay:  
    Wolverine doesn't need atmosphere and style, just a story that's respectful of the audience's intelligence.  I'm not knocking the director (I like his stuff) or Wolverine (he's not my favorite, but I don't hate him either), but no way does a Wolverine movie reach the critical and commercial scale that The Dark Knight had.
    duntam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By duntam

Great news! I want Aronofsky...

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @Bandito: The type of life the character has had and the things he went though would deffinatly worrant a decent attempt, or would you rather another shallow hack and slash? (by that I'm mainly referring to the script and direction) When i drew the comparason to The Dark Knight it wasn't based on the critical or commercial success that it obtained, i have little interest in how a film does in the 'charts' or whatever ridiculous way they have of categorizing what they constitute a flop or blockbuster, but more how impressive the film itself was, and the things it did with the characters involved. I'm not a massive Wolverine fan ether though i do see the potential for a very deep insight into the life and times of the character 
    Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bandito
    @Omega Ray Jay:  
    Okay, I understand what you're saying.  Of course I won't want a mindless, poorly made film.  On the other hand, I'm of the opinion that Wolverine is at his worst when creators try to delve too much into his past and psyche.  The more people try to humanize him and give him tragedy or pathos to make him relatable is--to me--getting further away from the essence of the character.  So I would prefer a simple story.  Not a bad one, mind you, but a simple action movie.
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

From "Black Swan" to "Wolverine 2"? I bet it's packed with avant garde action.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @Bandito: True, he was a much better character when you knew very little about him but I'd say Aronofsky is one of the very few people who could manage to pull that kind of characterization of Wolverine in a movie off, I can't think of any other directors off hand who have the skill to do what he could with it. The only other thing i could think of is if they do just go stright down the action rout like you suggested, the main man for that i would say would be John Mctiernan.
    Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bandito

Let me add:  I would rather they not make this movie at all and instead divert their time and attention to making better movies with other properties. 

I like Wolverine as a character, but not as a solo character.  He's a great team member, but not star.  Again, this is my opinion, and based on the number of books he sells, I'm sure I'm in the minority.  But I don't care about Wolverine's past.  He was better as a mystery, and he's at his best when playing second fiddle to whatever the X-Men are facing at the time.  I think in the last couple years the writer who best captured him was Joss Whedon on Astonishing X-Men.  Wolverine cracked some jokes and cut through a bunch of bad guys--that was enough.  He's there for awesome action beats and some comedic relief; he shouldn't be the center of attention, which was a major problem I've had with all of the X-Men movies (also why I won't even watch "Wolverine and the X-Men").

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bandito
    @Omega Ray Jay:  
    Like I said, I agree that Aronofsky is a great director.  I would just rather see him put his considerable talent to a character worthy of it--like Iron Fist, or Dr. Strange or, hell, a Daredevil movie worth watching.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @Bandito: Well I don't know about Iron Fist (but that's just personal preference;) His take on Doctor Strange however would be very interesting, that I would deffinatly want to see.
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @goldenkey:  Yeah, I know the one, and now I'm worried that they may try and work THAT angle into Wolverine 2. I need a shower, now.
    LiamRawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiamRawson

That would give this series the boost it needs.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bruce Vain

I say please let this f^%king happen with Darren :D the man has a great eye for his cinema - he would be perfect for the Japan scenery and the samurais

and I hope Robert could do it or at least produce it like he did with Predators.
    SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By SuperXAsh

oh my god... they're making a spy kids 4??? >.<  

I mean... uhh... interesting news about aronofsky. >.>;;; Hope whoever gets chosen does a better job than the previous movie. would suggest that they make a DVD special feature where they all take turns smashing a DVD of the first movie with a bat.

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mutant X

I want my Deadpool movie... >:(

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bandito
    @Omega Ray Jay said:
    " @Bandito: Well I don't know about Iron Fist (but that's just personal preference;) His take on Doctor Strange however would be very interesting, that I would deffinatly want to see. "
    I only really mentioned Iron Fist because of the rumors that he is Marvel's next movie project after the Avengers.  I would like to see a lot of characters before him, though. 

On the other hand, a Luke Cage & Iron Fist movie directed by Quentin Tarantino... $#@%!  It would be like Kill Bill except with slightly more testosterone.
    Binaryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Binaryan

I lovelovelove Aronofsky.  THE FOUNTAIN is one of my favorite films.  That said, I'd only want him to direct this movie if he had a hand in shaping the script and the studio got out of his way and let him make an incredible movie.  He could do for WOLVERINE what Chris Nolan did for BATMAN.

My advice:  Keep it simple.  Japan.  Mariko. Shingen.  The Hand.  Yukio.  Silver Samurai.

Don't try and cram the movie with senseless cameos.  Keep it tight, coherent and self-contained.  Don't  even worry about tying it in to the past movies just don't outright contradict them.  And get the casting perfect.  

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sagesebas
    @ReverseNegative: My view on Deadpool is that it could either be awesome or really dumb, just depends on the quality of writing and if they take Dave's idea and make it a black comedy. Either way if it comes out I'll be very excited to see it.
    Noray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Noray

The Fountain is pretentious wankery

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Chaos Burn
    @Illyana Rasputin: least there'll be lesbian sex in Black Swan... Wolverine not so much
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By goldenkey

I think the Arnofsky is much of an aquired taste.  Personally I thought the Fountain sucked.  It looked good, but the plot just sucked.  Just my opinion. 
    Avatar image for thegentlemanrogue
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not confident the necessary balance of power can be maintained between FOX and Aronofsky's on creative control. Too much creative control from Aronofsky and we could end up with another Ang Lee's Hulk, and too much control from the studio and we get another X-Men Origins Wolverine... and I don't want to see either of those again. Someone from FOX needs to be able to tell Aronofsky when something is too crazy, and Aronofsky needs to tell FOX that 90% of their ideas are stupid and not going to be in the film... and I don't think that will happen.

I just want production to stall and the rights to revert back to Marvel... but that won't happen, this movie well be made no matter how bad it is so FOX can keep the movie rights.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Shadowdoggy

I can't imagine what that would look like....... but I'll try.....
    shot of Wolverine's claws 
    shot of neck being sliced 
    shot of snarled lip growling 
    shot of Wolvering lighting a cigar and covered in blood 
    hmmmmm....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.