Comic Book Question of the Week Results: Favorite Wolverine Villain

Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

Whether you love or hate Logan, there's simply no denying the X-Man has an absolutely brutal and vicious rogues gallery. Some provide purely physical threats, often making Wolverine's healing factor go into overdrive as his body works to repair countless wounds. Others seek to demolish him on an emotional level, attacking the ones close to him or attempt to shake him to his very core.

This week I asked you all to vote on your favorite out of these evil characters, and one character was the clear victor. Taking a whopping 48.0% of 271 votes, Victor Creed tore apart the competition and is Comic Vine's favorite Wolverine villain.

What's your favorite Sabretooth/Wolverine fight?

When he's not jobbing like a total idiot (aka drooling and forgetting how to do anything adequetely), what makes him so special is that he seeks to destroy Logan on a physical and emotional level. The two have had countless bloody and horrific battles over the years. Sabretooth might not be as skilled as Logan, but he has the physical edge over him and has no restraint. This has allowed him to challenge and even defeat Logan quite a few times, but every now and then Logan's superior technical makes Victor look like a fool. But before Logan had that edge, Creed struck him with fear by attacking him on his birthday every year. Apparently, a punch to the face is the villain's way of saying, "Happy birthday!" Creed doesn't only dig his claws into Wolverine, though. No, Creed has gone above and beyond to torture Logan. He's gone after his loved ones, he's infiltrated the X-Men, and so much more. Most recently, Rick Remender made Creed manipulate Logan into killing his own son. Combining all of the times Creed has stabbed and slashed him doesn't even come close to hurting him as much as that one.

These factors in combination with his popularity made him the obvious winner of this poll, but that doesn't mean the other villains should be overlooked at all. I voted for Cyber due to the raw physical threat he poses to Wolverine and the fun classic stories which introduced him. Silver Samurai's sense of honor and sheer level of badassery made him a close second for me.

Did you vote for Sabretooth and if so, why? If not, who did you want to win? Check out the results of the poll below.

Don't forget to check the homepage next Tuesday for a new 'Comic Book Question of the Week!' As always, you're more than welcome to make suggestions for questions every week, too! You can send them to me via Twitter, in the comments below, or via a PM.

#1 Posted by longbowhunter (7751 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a big Wolverine fan so I didn't vote. Glad to see Omega Red make it in the top 3. Great villain.

#2 Posted by QuantomMan (215 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the history between Sabretooth and Logan.

#3 Posted by Overlander (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Sabretooth was the obvious choice, but I've seen little depth over the years in their feral rivalry. Daken was truly a tragic missed opportunity. The fact his son could be considered a villainous rival is terrible...especially for a character that so frequently mentors and cares for younger people.

#4 Posted by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang, I didn't realize there was voting for this!

My top choice is probably Sabertooth, followed closely by Omega Red and Cyber.

#5 Posted by impossibilly (893 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite Sabretooth/Wolverine fight is the one you pictured right there. When I think of Sabretooth fighting Wolverine, it's Alan Davis's art I see.

#6 Posted by kid Apollo (721 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah I've gotta go with Sabertooth and Silver Samurai in a close second place

#7 Posted by Doombert (518 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man nobody voted for Roughhouse. =( That dudes classic.

#8 Posted by Supreme_Maj (301 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember this fight Wolverine was saving Psylock who at the time didn't know how to fight but was resourceful It was during the massacre of the morlock story arc it was in the 80es and if i remember it was also the first fight in comics between the two and in this fight Sabretooth was more stronger than logan Epic

#9 Posted by UltraSuperTrooper (676 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta go with sabes

#10 Posted by TheCowman (461 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in an odd position in that my favorite Wolverine villain would probably be Mystique, but not in the way they've been using her. I've always like Wolverine and Mystique, and their interactions were always pretty good. Ever since 'House of M' and recently when they started focusing more on their history together, I was really hoping she'd kinda be Wolverine's Catwoman.

They've never really gone in that direction though, so I guess I'd have to go with Sabretooth or Deathstrike.

#11 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4119 posts) - - Show Bio

Sabertooth. So obvious

#12 Posted by blazinasian112 (909 posts) - - Show Bio

: Nice poll....I would agree with Cyber first, Silver Samurai second, and Ogun third!

#13 Posted by Grey56 (744 posts) - - Show Bio

@weaponx said:

Pretty much what this man said - though thankfully I did get to vote. - this was entertaining, many thanks for taking the time.

#14 Posted by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grey56: Nice choices ;)!

#15 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@blazinasian112: @Grey56: Thank you!

@weaponx said:

Sorry you missed out. There's a new CB Question of the Week on the homepage every Tuesday!

#16 Posted by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Good to know! Thank you :).

#17 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@weaponx said:

@k4tzm4n: Good to know! Thank you :).

You're welcome. They're posted Tuesday morning and voting goes until Thursday morning.

#18 Posted by Grey56 (744 posts) - - Show Bio

@weaponx: Roger, sir.

#19 Posted by Autopsad (95 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCowman said:

I'm in an odd position in that my favorite Wolverine villain would probably be Mystique, but not in the way they've been using her. I've always like Wolverine and Mystique, and their interactions were always pretty good. Ever since 'House of M' and recently when they started focusing more on their history together, I was really hoping she'd kinda be Wolverine's Catwoman.

They've never really gone in that direction though, so I guess I'd have to go with Sabretooth or Deathstrike.

Exactly what i feel !

#20 Posted by Queso6p4 (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

@weaponx said:

Ah Cyber, another favorite.

I would've had to go with Sabretooth too, but I do have a soft spot for Roughhouse.

#21 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Sabretooth cause he is both the classic choice and hits on many levels.

#22 Posted by Rumble Man (11073 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Sabes

#23 Posted by hobanho (25 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite Logan and Creed fight was from Wolverine #10 back in the day, after Creed killed Silver Fox. Wolverine got his ass completely kicked, and says in the issue it was the first time he could remember being afraid in his life. Sabretooth has lots of great quotes throughout the beatdown too, but my favorite is when Wolverine is struggling to get to his feet.. "You sound like a dog boy. You gonna lay there on your belly and die like one? Or are you gonna get on your feet, and die like a man?" - Creed

#24 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@hobanho: That definitely was a great issue. Good choice.

@Doombert said:

Oh man nobody voted for Roughhouse. =( That dudes classic.

Exactly why I have a sad face next to him in the poll results!

#25 Posted by The Mast (785 posts) - - Show Bio

I just love a good Sabretooth Vs Wolverine fight.

I love the raw, unadulterated nature of it at all. It's so raw. There's very rarely fancy footwork. I love seeing the raw, almost uncontrollable bloodlust that overrides technique. You know those fights in school where you'd literally cry with anger? I feel like that's what it is.

I feel like there needs to be a fight (Unless it's happened and I'm not aware), where Wolverine and Sabretooth just BRAWL for multiple pages. Maybe even the bulk of an issue. Superman Vs Doomsday style. The fight shouldn't be interrupted. It shouldn't be a side-attraction. It should be THE issue. I feel like one of them would need to finally die after it, but that's been ruined now.

Imagine that, though. Just a brutal storyline, culiminating in an issue-long fight, with one of them finally cashin out. That would be a dream. Just like, eff the games. Both of them thinking, "I'm not walking away with you alive. I am either walking away with you dead, or I'm going to die."

#26 Posted by TDK_1997 (15110 posts) - - Show Bio

The one that deserved it won.

#27 Posted by Doombert (518 posts) - - Show Bio

Best Logan vs Creed fight is Wolverine #90. Not necessarily the fight itself but the dialog throughout the fight, leading up to the brain poke. Shows just how ruthless Creed can be. While I didn't vote for Creed, I voted for Omega Red, I understand why he is on top.

#28 Posted by JamesKM716 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

Surpised Deadpool was so high and Romulus so low.

#29 Edited by cborg (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Sabretooth was the only interesting threat. the rest had sketchy motivations (mad your dads science was used to make your bones?) huge gaps in skill or strength or lack of ongoing animosity(gorgon is more nick furys now, mystique has stronger ties to rogue). But even sabretooth is a tiny inconvenience to him most of the time, in return of the native he was beat by a car tire. I love Wolverine, the problem is his powers vs enemy powers. He always said he'd treat a man on equal terms come with a fist he'll meet you with one, come with a knife he'll meet you with his claws. The problem is when his strength can lift tons or rend steel, his skill is beyond the best fighters and he heals from nuclear blasts, there is no equal footing. Thats what I liked about the claremont years. He was strong but not the strongest, his skill could quickly be negated by a berserker rage that left him at the mercy of a skilled martial artist, and he could be killed. Now he is the god of death literally not figuratively. No real threats but himself which at this point it's like, go to therapy already man

#30 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4899 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Daken. Why? because I like him, and felt like Creed was a obvious choice. He(Creed) definitely deserves to win though.

• Sabretooth: DUH!
  • Daken: Nice He got 2nd.
  • Omega Red: NICE! He got 3rd.
  • Deadpool: Wait what? He should have been DeadLAST.
  • Mystique: She does deserve top 5.
  • Magneto: What? I agree he's a Wolvie villain, but c'mon he's too high on the list for me.
  • Silver Samurai: Well at least he's Top 10
  • Gorgon: I don't know how he beat Cyber, and L.Deathstrike, but in Secret Warriors he was BADA$$.
  • Cyber:
  • Lady Deathstrike: I think she should definitely be a lot higher if not top 5 definitely top 10
  • Romulus: I'm glad he's not last I actually liked him as a villain.
  • Ogun: Who? What has he done lately? Ehhh I guess he has a decent spot once I think about it.
  • Mister X: Ehhh I guess he has the spot he deserves on the list. I mean he's not important, but he was obsessed with killing Logan

Roughhouse: WHO? What has he done lately? In my opinion he deserves to be last or 2nd last.

(+)

#31 Edited by mattydeNero (526 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yung ANcient One said:

Roughhouse: WHO? What has he done lately? In my opinion he deserves to be last or 2nd last.

John Byrne's run on Wolverine's full length series Vol. 1: http://www.comicvine.com/wolverine-all-at-sea/37-64283/

Roughouse was awesome!!! Someone REALLY needs to do something with him. I KNEW I should've voted for him. This may have been the biggest mistake I have made in a while. I actually thought about this tonight at work. I love comics.

#32 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

I just voted for Magneto because I was such a fan of how Lobdell handled Magneto practically bringing Wolverine to near death in the Fatal Attractions story arc. I'm really not surprised Sabretooth won this though...its quite obvious that Creed is Howlett's arch-nemesis.

#33 Posted by Bedanzilla (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand why Creed won but I feel like the full tenacity of this fight definitely has not been broached.

#34 Posted by thatlad (587 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine seems to have enemies from each stage of his life, Romulus seems to be his ancient enemy, Ugun and Silver Samurai from his Japan days, a whole host from his weapon X days. Daken is probably his only recent times enemy, I'd like to see a writer really build a new enemy for him but not make the same mistakes as Daken. With Daken they built him up so much and then turned him into a stooge. Romulus is similar too in that both he and Daken were just Wolverine with more wolverine in them, "more claws!" A more measured approach is needed, the beauty of sabretooth was that he'd always be beaten but he'd exact a heavy toll. Wolverine needs a new age villain who's more cerebral and not in the pathetic Romulus way. Something that matches this era of wolverine, no weapon x or samurai connections and no bloody healing factors it's like they're blue jeans (genes?!?) everyone's got em.

#35 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

Who voted for Daken? I mean really. It's obviously Sabretooth and Omega Red. Characters like Romulus are so crap they shouldn't even feature at all.

#36 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordRequiem said:

Who voted for Daken? I mean really. It's obviously Sabretooth and Omega Red. Characters like Romulus are so crap they shouldn't even feature at all.

A lot of people, apparently. :P

#37 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Sabretooth because I love the history that the two share and the lengths to which Sabretooth will go to make Wolverine's life miserable.

#38 Edited by hobanho (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Cborg, I noticed you brought up the return of the Native arc. Sabretooth was held under a truck for awhile but the arc ended with Creed defeating Wolverine in a fight, then killed the Native at the end. Another love interest of Wolverine murdered by Sabretooth. And Sabretooth even gave him a chance to save her

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.