Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16085 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Comic Book Arcade: Wolverine

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

How many times does Nintendo need their name on the cover? Answer: Three.
     How many times does Nintendo need their name on the cover? Answer: Three.
    Wolverine is undoubtedly one of Marvel's most popular and beloved characters. Ever since he's been appearing on every cover of every Marvel book, kids have been screaming "SNIKT" until the cows come home. I personally try and yell "SNIKT" only in libraries. He's been in a slew of video games, but only really starred in about four or five of them. Are these games any good? (SPOILER ALERT: Not really!) It's time to take an in depth look into the first and the latest games starring the three-clawed hairball, Wolverine.

You're probably looking at the picture to the right and thinking, "Wait, there was a Wolverine game for the Nintendo Entertainment System?" The answer is yes. Back in 1991, LJN released this little beauty, and I spent my birthday money on it. Like many games of its time, Wolverine was a platform game. You know what that means? Lots of jumping and falling to your death! You know what that equals? Lots of angry and frustrated kids.
       == TEASER ==
    Wolverine offered two moves: jump and punch. No ducking allowed. You could also move left or right depending on how you are feeling at that moment. However, you could also press the select button to do the unthinkable, release Wolverine's claws. But wait! Don't use those claws too much because they drain
       Game over: Magnet wins.
     Game over: Magnet wins.
    your energy. Yes, Wolverine using his claws makes him slowly die, and no, he doesn't heal. Sounds just like the comic right? After jumping through level after level, you end up fighting Magneto... Who you can beat... Huh? After Magneto, you fight Sabretooth, then you win? Taking a look at that sweet screen shot, you can see that where ever Wolverine is (I'm still not sure) there's danger! And no ground. These white guys shoot giant bullets at you as you jump around and magnets pull you off of the screen. Luckily, you have an "air," "havok," and "berzerker" meter. (Not berserker?) I have no clue what the first two do, but if you use your claws, your berzerker meter fills up and then you cry yourself softly to sleep because the game is unbeatable. Needless to say, the game is kind of bunk. This is something I knew when I was 9. Well it's been almost 20 years since the release of this super-duper game, has anything changed?
       Tug-of-war mini-game. The loser gets shot in the face, and charged for the bullet.
     Tug-of-war mini-game. The loser gets shot in the face, and charged for the bullet.
    In between then and now, a few games starring Wolverine have appeared, yet nothing was that memorable. Sure, he was in X2: Wolverine's revenge, but frankly, the game was just so-so. Now, in the wondrous decade of the 10s, (How do I say that out loud?) Wolverine has had one game, even though it came out last year: X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The first thing you'll notice is that graphically, we're leaps and bounds away from the 8-bit classic. We're also not jumping from platform to platform. This game was available on almost every current platform, including handhelds. So what was this game about? I don't know. I was way too busy slash people's heads off. In fact, I only played the demo, which was slashtastic. Sure, I could have bought the game, but I was just so darn skeptical of another Wolverine game letting me down. 

So... is this a free-range copy of the game? Thank you! I'll be here all week.
     So... is this a free-range copy of the game? Thank you! I'll be here all week.
    What do you do in this game? Simple! Murder everyone. That may not be what you actually have to do, but I skipped the cut-scene because I wanted to get my "berzerker" meter filled up as quick as possible. Essentially, this game is ultra violent, which is what most of us want from a Wolverine game. How violent? Do you like slashing people in the face, blood, or seeing Logan's skull after he gets his face smashed in by a baddie? Then this game is for you.

The most fun you can have in this game though is pouncing on people from afar... and then slashing their heads off. You can use all of Wolverine's powers to sniff out the bad guys and from reading all the reviews of the actual game, people seem to love it. Funny thing about the new game, it's tied into a movie, and movie tie-in games tend to suck. 

So the first Wolverine game was a complete and utter miss, and the latest one seems to be a little more on the money. Sure, there's a few games in between I'm not touching on, but are they really worth it? If memory serves me correctly, not really. If you're really interested in playing the original Wolverine game, good luck finding the cartridge for the game; however there are a few websites scattered around the net that will let you play NES games online. As for the Wolverine Origins game, you can find it pretty much anywhere since the game is a little more than a year old.

This is what I had to deal with as a kid. P.S. I could never beat the game because it was WAY too tough. By the way... How come I could NEVER duck and crawl in the original game but this guy does it seamlessly.
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By geraldthesloth
    This game is horrible, do you not see the LJN!
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Shadowdoggy

I used to love that game, though 
    the one for NES 
    man....it was HARD! 
    so very very hard 
    and what was with Havok healing you? 
    how do plasmatic powers equal healing? 
    at least the music was terrible
    BuddyBulson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By BuddyBulson

why do people like him so much, like really like him? what appeals to people? he isnt good looking, hes short, smells like cigars, hairy, rude, and a wild animal that needs to be put down.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By damswedon

GiantBomb did a Quick look of Wolverine Origins. That game is... well just watch it. 
    Yeah I got fresh love for wolverine after that game.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @BuddyBulson:
    because of everything you just said coupled with the idea that women and gay men (supposedly) always want to date their fathers
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Bruce Vain

Doesn't look as tough as say the Silver Surfer game NOW THAT game was a bitch to play. Just effing hard on every stage. I still have it too , and speaking of the Silver Surfer game it sounds like they used the music from that onto this. ha ha
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Bruce Vain:
    you are so right 
    but it was actually almost as hard 
    it didn't have the crazy, pulse pounding difficulty, like SS 
    it was more a frustrating, trying to jump on the right.....DAMN I FELL AGAIN! sort of hard 
    Pez85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Pez85

Awesome nostalgia. Still, nothing beats the original Batman game. I think it's time to play some Nintendo

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Pez85:
    hell yeah! 
    that game was amazing 
    awesome music too!
    Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    AlwaysBeClothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By AlwaysBeClothing

Speed runs usually have tools such as frame by frame slow motion and other input mods.

In any case, I'm not sure if I'll ever get tired of Wolverine.  He's been portrayed so many different ways that his character is still interesting to me.  The movie tie-in game was pretty good for a movie tie-in game, pretty much violent fan-service done right.    

Avatar image for darkwolverineusmc
    darkwolverineUSMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

Origins was awesome. Pretty brutal gameplay when you slice into an enemy.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Bruce Vain said:
    " Doesn't look as tough as say the Silver Surfer game NOW THAT game was a bitch to play. Just effing hard on every stage. I still have it too , and speaking of the Silver Surfer game it sounds like they used the music from that onto this. ha ha "
    That's going to be included in my "OMG NES RUNDOWN" in the next couple of days.... It'll be awful.
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @inferiorego:
    can't wait! 
    I loved the Captain America game on the NES 
    versus mode?  hell yes!!!!!!!!!
    they had it before it was cool to have it
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Shadowdoggy said:
    " @inferiorego: can't wait! I loved the Captain America game on the NES versus mode?  hell yes!!!!!!!!!they had it before it was cool to have it "
    I'm playing it right now... oh man.... it was 100000% better when I was 10
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @inferiorego said:
    " @Bruce Vain said:
    " Doesn't look as tough as say the Silver Surfer game NOW THAT game was a bitch to play. Just effing hard on every stage. I still have it too , and speaking of the Silver Surfer game it sounds like they used the music from that onto this. ha ha "
    That's going to be included in my "OMG NES RUNDOWN" in the next couple of days.... It'll be awful. "
    Are you going to play the LJN X-Men NES Game?
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @inferiorego:
    yeah, most things were 
    although, I do still enjoy a good PB and J sandwich with the crusts cut off from time to time 
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @Shadowdoggy:  
    I mean don't get me wrong the game looked hard, just SS was a PAIN IN MY MUTHA *BEEP* ASS - BUT not as bad as that Jekyll & Hyde game ha ha 

@inferiorego:
    I'll be looking forward to your review on it ha ha
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Bruce Vain:
    oh god yes 
    beating that game was like the pinnacle of my 12 year old life! 
    it was hard as balls
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jordanstine

You can get Wolverine Origins for about $15 now on eBay.  That's a brand new copy too!  Worth it.

I never played 8-bit Wolverine, but the company LJN sucked holes and balls.  Their 8-bit Back to the Future game would make me and my friends cry.  Why are we throwing bowling balls on the street?  

THALASTDRAGON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By THALASTDRAGON

i never played that nes game, but i wouldnt mind havin it in tha collection. and i did enjoy xmo, although i didnt care for tha flashback moments. and a better sentinel fight would've been fantastic.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By damswedon
    @BuddyBulson: Dude has knives that come out of his knuckles.
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @damswedon:
    that's a good point, actually
    Matt1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Matt1982

Wolverine was just way to stressed from the combat to heal.  Havok showed up and gave him some time to rest and heal.  Plus I used Havok on that one level where the guys and the bazookas were.  I just had him walk through the end,killing three of them, then exited the level.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Matt1982:
    ha 
    me too!
    Jynxnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jynxnet

I played this game as a kid and at the time it just felt like crappy re-skinned mega-man! I remember this game in particular because it was the only 3 day rental from my local video hut that I took back the same day i got it. 

~Jynx

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @Jynxnet said:
    " I played this game as a kid and at the time it just felt like crappy re-skinned mega-man! I remember this game in particular because it was the only 3 day rental from my local video hut that I took back the same day i got it.  ~Jynx "
    It's a side-scroller. Alot of side-scrollers tend to have that kind of feel.
    The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By The Hobgoblin

Wolverine's Revenge was a pretty fun game. I still play it from time to time. It had great alternate costumes and the Weapon X levels were especially fun. And let's not forget the great Mark Hamill and Patrick Stewart stop by to lend their vocal talents to Logan and Prof. X, respectively.
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kid_Zombie

That game did sucks ha ha

Wolverine origins was a really fun game. enjoyed it a lot.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @BuddyBulson:  Some of us have an easier time relating to character like that. ;)
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By ComicCrazy

The ps3 game is really really good though, especially for a movie game.
    TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TadThuggish

The latest Wolverine game was pretty fucking dumb, but at least it was dumb fun.  Still not an Arkham Asylum for the series or the character...but a step in the right direction.  Activision, however, has very little interest in making a lone quality product when they can dilute a franchise with twenty iterations till all the fun and money is sucked dry.

We can only hope.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Are those just blank characters shooting at Wolverine?  And did I just see him get powered up by some alcohol?

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AngeTheDude

I'm actually insulted that you bothered to write this article based on a demo.

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#34  Edited By Aspenite

I doubt that there will ever be a really good game with Wolverine. He hasn´t got the potential for it.

Grouchy224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Grouchy224

Wolverine is one of many heroes I think deserves an honestly good game. How about another good Punisher game or even a good Superman game. The Wolverine Origins game was a good start, and I especially liked it showing Wolverine taking damage.

countvontrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By countvontrey

LJN may have sucked when it came to gaming, but they did make some awesome Thundercat toys in the '80's.  

No Caption Provided
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#37  Edited By Meteorite

Wolverine: Origins is a great game! I also enjoyed X2: Wolverine's Revenge, but it isn't exactly the greatest game ever released.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of the only superhero games ever released that i never tried.
    And I had a very good reason for that. I had just played a game " related "
    to this one. I'll give you one clue: 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.