Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16088 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Can someone tell me, why is there so much hate for Wolverine?

• 191 results
    time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#1  Edited By time1

Can someone tell me, why is there so much hate for Wolverine? Is cause he marvel cash cow    or is there another reason? To be honest I think he is one of best X-Men all time, One of the coolest superheros in comics. He tough, very cool, very    passionate and what hell of a fighter. I'm  not sure I understand why, people have a problem with him. I hope people can enlighten me. I think he is so cool.

No Caption Provided

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Iron_Turtle

Overexposure.

Also he's responsible for Daken.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Kairan1979
    @Iron_Turtle:
    no, he isn't. Romulus is responsible for Daken becoming Daken. He molded him from birth. And Wolverine never had a chance to raise a child, didn't know about him.
    Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Death Certificate

Overexposure

but personally I don't hate him.

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Iron_Turtle
    @Kairan1979: Relax, I R Joking.
    time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#6  Edited By time1

Would you  rather have Emma & Scott  being expose too much? To be honest I am tired other marvels characters making appearance in X-Men comics. Iron man, Spiderman, Blade, Avengers. Nick Fury and Namor. Namor has no right to called himself X-Men. He not even a mutant... With the exception of Scarlet which? why are all the other  heros playing a part in the mutant world?  It really bugs the crap of me.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wattup

I don't hate Wolverine...but I do find him tiresome. He' s so one-dimensional as a character and his comics are always laden with him being grunty for 20-something pages. Yes, that is his persona but after reading 200 issues of the same thing, I've had enough.

I thought he was cooler than cool in the 90s X-Men cartoon but he's definitely played out for me.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Iron_Turtle said:
    " Overexposure"
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

I don't hate him just need a break from him

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Kallarkz
    his voice from the animated series has been burned into my soul.../screams
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joshmightbe
    @time: Technically he is a mutant because he possesses abilities that neither humans nor atlanteans have such as the ability to fly and strength well beyond the average atlantean. He simply inherited the x gene from his human father
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By karrob
    @War Killer said:
    " @Iron_Turtle said:
    " Overexposure"
    "
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By John Valentine

Overexposure. I don't want him as a damn Avengers alone a member of two Avengers teams.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By John Valentine
    @time said:
    " Would you  rather have Emma & Scott  being expose too much? To be honest I am tired other marvels characters making appearance in X-Men comics. Iron man, Spiderman, Blade, Avengers. Nick Fury and Namor. Namor has no right to called himself X-Men. He not even a mutant... With the exception of Scarlet which? why are all the other  heros playing a part in the mutant world?  It really bugs the crap of me. "
    Namor's a mutant. It's part of Marvel's aim to integrate the X-Men. Which is f#^king stupid. Where are the Avengers to deal with the X-Men's problems? As Emma Frost put it in New X-Men "Where were the Avengers to bury the bodies of the children who were murdered in the purifier bus attack". What did the Avengers do post-Decimation to help the X-Men? Were the hell were the Avengers to shut down the Purifiers? Why didn't Stark forcefully shut down the Sentinel programme himself? What about operation Zero Tolerance? The Avengers are self-concerned celebrities.  
    celticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By celticpain

Way back when during the mid-80s.. through the 90s and the beginning of 2000 I liked Wolverine. He was the bad boy of the team. The guy you went to when you wanted someone shredded. Great fighter.. good story archs because not everyone got along with him. He wasn't Scott "Mr. Perfect" Summers or Hank "I'm the brains" McCoy. He was the "Dont get in the way of my beer bub" but things changed and some change is good... but not this.

Wolverine went from healing factor to regeneration. I remember Wolverine in a comic being all bandaged up because it took time for him to heal. Granted it was still faster then a normal person but a stab wound that took a normal person weeks to heal would only take Wolverine 2 to 3 days. Now hes on par with Deadpool and I dont agree with that. I have to blame bad writers and the X-men movie for that. Its more exciting to watch Hugh Jackman heal his wounds almost instantly then watch Hugh Jackman with a bandage on his forehead for 3 days.

Another reason is Wolverine has always been a good fighter. Now hes the best. I dont understand how the guy who fought like an animal... leaping, clawing snarling suddenly can beat the likes of Captain America, Deadpool and Task Master. Yes, he spent time in Japan.. yes, he learned swordsman ship and Bushido but that didn't make him a master of it. Also that's only one style... maybe two. How does he compete with guys like Task Master who mastered so many styles that the list of martial arts is as long as my arm. Captain America and this is right from this site "Cap is a master of many martial arts and has developed his own fighting-style which melds jujitsu, boxing, judo, karate, pressure points, all-terrain acrobatics and the use of his shield.  It is extraordinarily effective." but the guy who uses Claw-fu is on par with him?

ok, I'm gonna end this here cuz I could go all day. Fact is Wolverine became popular and they changed him so he could be the star of the show. Right now if it was Wolverine vs The Tribunal.. Wolverine just might win.    
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

I didn't even know people hated Wolverine. How could you hate that character? He has awesome powers!

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By CellphoneGirl

It should be literally impossible for him to be on so many  teams.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @John Valentine said:

" Overexposure. I don't want him as a damn Avengers alone a member of two Avengers teams. "

This.

The worst part about him isn't even the character's fault. The X-Men is an ensemble cast book, each character has their own niche, and reason for being in the team (at least the characters in the well written books do). Anyway, even if you have more face time on one character than another, it still feels like that's just a one off deal, that the X-Men is a book about a team, not a smaller team within a team.

Wolverine has suffered because douchebag writers listening to fanwank put him in stories he has no place being in. Not everything that happened in the past needs to include Logan. Again, this isn't Wolverine's fault, it's the dumb writing staff who don't think a book will sell unless he's in it.

Still, the worst thing (in my opinion) to have ever happened to Wolverine is this;

No Caption Provided

Making an animated series about the X-Men; great.
    Making Logan the main character; fine. At least you're honest about it. We all go in knowing that he's going to be in the forefront.
    Having Logan be the leader of the X-Men: Ok, it's stupid, but we'll deal.
    Having every other character look incompetent to make Logan look more badass: You've gone too far. Silver Samurai drops the entire X-Men team without trying, and only Wolverine can stop him. That's just bad writing.

Again, it's not Logan's fault,as a character; it's the idiots who whore him out to every book they can.
    Avatar image for thegentlemanrogue
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's because in the scheme of comic book publishing history, Wolverine's popularity is still a relatively new phenomena. Unlike Batman or Superman, who have had at least two solo titles running simultaneously for 60 years, Wolverine has only recently reached a level of popularity where he can sustain more than one solo title in the last decade. So some people have a hard time excepting Wolverine being on the same playing field with the big dogs of monthly appearances like Batman, Superman and Spider-man, because they can still remember a time when he wasn't... whereas Batman and Superman have been overexposed for six decades so  everyone is pretty much used to it.

That said Wolverine is a much more complex and nuanced character than either Batman or Superman, so if any character "deserves" that level of exposure, it is Wolverine.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By AgeofHurricane

The fact that his Story has already been explored in the past as well as the fact that Marvel is just using him for more money (taking the passion out of the character) and other's is why i hate him, he's already in the lime light and Marvel is still giving him more where as there are more under-used characters that deserve that type of attention and he doesn't.

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By A_O_N

It's because he appears in every title called Psylocke.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @A_O_N: That too, he appears in comics that he isn't even relevant to or has no major role in.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @thegentlemanrogue said:
    " It's because in the scheme of comic book publishing history, Wolverine's popularity is still a relatively new phenomena. Unlike Batman or Superman, who have had at least two solo titles running simultaneously for 60 years, Wolverine has only recently reached a level of popularity where he can sustain more than one solo title in the last decade. So some people have a hard time excepting Wolverine being on the same playing field with the big dogs of monthly appearances like Batman, Superman and Spider-man, because they can still remember a time when he wasn't... whereas Batman and Superman have been overexposed for six decades so  everyone is pretty much used to it.That said Wolverine is a much more complex and nuanced character than either Batman or Superman, so if any character "deserves" that level of exposure, it is Wolverine. "
    O_O
    Just... no.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By joshmightbe
    @AgeofHurricane: He's even an alternate personality for Moon Knight now
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @AgeofHurricane: He's even an alternate personality for Moon Knight now "
    That's not Wolverine's fault though, that's Bendick.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By joshmightbe
    @FadeToBlackBolt: I was just using it as an example of how his over exposure has truly gone too far
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @joshmightbe: Ahk, my apologies :)

I wonder if he'll join the Future Foundation...
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt said:
    O_OJust... no. "
    Yes, just yes. :D
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By castleking

i guess some of it has to do with the convoluted back stories that make no sense and has cluttered the character to the point he is a walking nexus of various origin retcons interpretation that are some how all canon. i personally blame the writers and editors of the last ten years, they simply saw him as a cash cow and whored him out forgetting what made him cool to begin with. They let every tom dick and harry write him to make money and printed multiple stories that dont even fit continuity in the least with various writers one month each writing the interpretation of the character.

A lot of people also hate b/c they feel he is overexposed and have some unreasonable hate toward him out of some perverse fanboy jealousy and go out of  their way to mire the character but do not do it evenly across the board with other characters including their own

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @joshmightbe: Well now I've seen everything.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By joshmightbe
    @castleking: I used to joke about his overexposure but didn't have any real negative feelings about the character but I do currently have a lot of hate toward the writers especially bendis who can't even keep wolverine out of stories that clearly have nothing at all to do with him like the Aforementioned Moon Knight not only does it spread the hate for Wolverine but its now starting to degrade other great characters and Moon Knight has enough trouble with public perspective, for most of that characters existence people have been calling him a Batman rip off now we have to sit through Marvel making him pretend to be other heroes? Seriously Bendis F**k You
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReVamp
    @celticpain said:
    "
    Way back when during the mid-80s.. through the 90s and the beginning of 2000 I liked Wolverine. He was the bad boy of the team. The guy you went to when you wanted someone shredded. Great fighter.. good story archs because not everyone got along with him. He wasn't Scott "Mr. Perfect" Summers or Hank "I'm the brains" McCoy. He was the "Dont get in the way of my beer bub" but things changed and some change is good... but not this.

Wolverine went from healing factor to regeneration. I remember Wolverine in a comic being all bandaged up because it took time for him to heal. Granted it was still faster then a normal person but a stab wound that took a normal person weeks to heal would only take Wolverine 2 to 3 days. Now hes on par with Deadpool and I dont agree with that. I have to blame bad writers and the X-men movie for that. Its more exciting to watch Hugh Jackman heal his wounds almost instantly then watch Hugh Jackman with a bandage on his forehead for 3 days.

Another reason is Wolverine has always been a good fighter. Now hes the best. I dont understand how the guy who fought like an animal... leaping, clawing snarling suddenly can beat the likes of Captain America, Deadpool and Task Master. Yes, he spent time in Japan.. yes, he learned swordsman ship and Bushido but that didn't make him a master of it. Also that's only one style... maybe two. How does he compete with guys like Task Master who mastered so many styles that the list of martial arts is as long as my arm. Captain America and this is right from this site "Cap is a master of many martial arts and has developed his own fighting-style which melds jujitsu, boxing, judo, karate, pressure points, all-terrain acrobatics and the use of his shield.  It is extraordinarily effective." but the guy who uses Claw-fu is on par with him?

ok, I'm gonna end this here cuz I could go all day. Fact is Wolverine became popular and they changed him so he could be the star of the show. Right now if it was Wolverine vs The Tribunal.. Wolverine just might win.    
    "

Agreed, but that isn't why there is so much hate, and BTW wolverine had "regeneration" before Deadpool appeared, since Deadpool's powers are kinda made to mimic off Wolverine.

@time said:

"Would you  rather have Emma & Scott  being expose too much? To be honest I am tired other marvels characters making appearance in X-Men comics. Iron man, Spiderman, Blade, Avengers. Nick Fury and Namor. Namor has no right to called himself X-Men. He not even a mutant... With the exception of Scarlet which? why are all the other  heros playing a part in the mutant world?  It really bugs the crap of me. "

Namor's a mutant. First he wasn't, then it was hinted at but they dropped the subject, now he's been a confirmed mutant.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By castleking

modern writers suck balls overall from Bendis, Way, and Loeb i wish they all drop dead,... i really am starting to wish for marvel to get in some legal financial problem to get their collective heads out there @$$ and start writing good stories and respecting past writers, continuity and readers that made marvel to begin with.. and stop hiring writers just cause they went to college or write for hollywood!!

hire ppl who actually read and enjoy comics and knows what is going on and doesnt look at it as just another writing gig for the month on his way to another project and a choir.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joshmightbe
    @FadeToBlackBolt: I've noticed as far as your wolverine and the xmen comment goes they do the same with batman in the brave and the bold like in tonight's episode they had Captain Marvel get taken down by Bane while implying that Batman could take a group consisting of Bane, Killer Croc, Blockbuster and Solomon freaking Grundy without a problem.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#37  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

The better question is why do people make threads like these? I'm sure you know the answer already.First Storm and now Wolverine and of course everyone will blame what isn't the actual culprit.People like to b#tch about things.It doesn't have anything to do with Wolverine's level of exposure..you know why..because half the people who b#tch about how many comics Wolverine appears in because half the people who say anything about it don't read even half of the books he appears in.People will blame the writers also..It's not their fault either.I'm not denying some writers at Marvel do suck but people buy anything that Bendis writes in massive #'s especially during events where he was writing the a majority of the most important books and he sucks.Dark Avengers is the worst thing to happen to Marvel since the Clone Saga (writing wise).Wolverine gives people something to b#tch about, he's popular.Look at all the Justin Bieber threads..people come on here and talk -ish about Beiber all the time but guess what...half those people don't even listen to his music and if they have it was only to take part in their own misery so they could come on CV and whine.There are things about Wolverine's character that people can be petty and whine about and they do.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By PowerHerc

Wolverine is so hated because he's become so popular, and thus; over-exposed. 

Also, due to his popularity, he's been given far too much credit, ability and leeway when it comes to his powers and skills; he beats people he should never have chance against.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Primmaster64
    @PowerHerc said:
    "

Also, due to his popularity, he's been given far too much credit, ability and leeway when it comes to his powers and skills; he beats people he should never have chance against.

"
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt: I've noticed as far as your wolverine and the xmen comment goes they do the same with batman in the brave and the bold like in tonight's episode they had Captain Marvel get taken down by Bane while implying that Batman could take a group consisting of Bane, Killer Croc, Blockbuster and Solomon freaking Grundy without a problem. "
    Ugh, that's ridiculous.

I hate that show.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Primmaster64 said:

" @PowerHerc said:

"

"
    "
    There's no such thing as over-exposure.If Marvel puts Wolverine in 20 books in one month and 19 sell well..they are going to keep putting him in a massive amount of books.He's not being given too much credit.He's a cash cow.Marvel is a business they have an obligation to make money as well as produce creative and high-quality material.EVERY CHARACTER beats characters they should never have a chance against.That's not exclusive to Wolverine or even Marvel for that matter.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By joshmightbe
    @FadeToBlackBolt: I like it for the sheer strangness of it but at times its just too much
    Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aero_gt

Because the same people that like Cyclops, don't like wolverine for short. What Vance said too. Sure he's popular and all now, but he has his swag  set. He's not the big picture type like others, he just goes in and does the dirty work. He has the trainsing to be the best he can, and he uses it (more or less). He's his own man and plays by his own rule. Some find him cool, others not so much. He's both and X-man and an Avenger and is by far the most popular in the Marvel universe along with spiderman and the Incredible hulk. Wolvie, has his setback too. I mean the Drinking and smoking aren't much compared to him not having a recent relationship for awhile, his past probably haunts him, the animal in him sometimes wants to come out. He can't afford to be the easy going guy or someone get hurt. He's old enough to be Magnetos Great Great Great Grandpa + or - a great and has to deal with the ever changing world. He pretty much won't die anytime soon which could actually be a weight off his shoulders of burden masqueraded with being a badass. Wolverine can kill and do what he wants on the outside, but he's still soft on the inside. He can be related to.(Just giving him some points and all because through and through he's an X-man and I'll love their team the most forever, I still like Cyclops better though.^3^)   
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @joshmightbe said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt: I've noticed as far as your wolverine and the xmen comment goes they do the same with batman in the brave and the bold like in tonight's episode they had Captain Marvel get taken down by Bane while implying that Batman could take a group consisting of Bane, Killer Croc, Blockbuster and Solomon freaking Grundy without a problem. "
    Ugh, that's ridiculous. I hate that show. "
    It also had Batman dodging  the omega beams lol.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Not trying to defend Bendis, but at least Wolverine seems to be a supporting character in the Avengers books.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Billy Batson
    @thegentlemanrogue said:

It's because in the scheme of comic book publishing history, Wolverine's popularity is still a relatively new phenomena. Unlike Batman or Superman, who have had at least two solo titles running simultaneously for 60 years, Wolverine has only recently reached a level of popularity where he can sustain more than one solo title in the last decade. So some people have a hard time excepting Wolverine being on the same playing field with the big dogs of monthly appearances like Batman, Superman and Spider-man, because they can still remember a time when he wasn't... whereas Batman and Superman have been overexposed for six decades so  everyone is pretty much used to it.That said Wolverine is a much more complex and nuanced character than either Batman or Superman, so if any character "deserves" that level of exposure, it is Wolverine.

thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Billy Batson said:
    @thegentlemanrogue said:

It's because in the scheme of comic book publishing history, Wolverine's popularity is still a relatively new phenomena. Unlike Batman or Superman, who have had at least two solo titles running simultaneously for 60 years, Wolverine has only recently reached a level of popularity where he can sustain more than one solo title in the last decade. So some people have a hard time excepting Wolverine being on the same playing field with the big dogs of monthly appearances like Batman, Superman and Spider-man, because they can still remember a time when he wasn't... whereas Batman and Superman have been overexposed for six decades so  everyone is pretty much used to it.That said Wolverine is a much more complex and nuanced character than either Batman or Superman, so if any character "deserves" that level of exposure, it is Wolverine.

Make an argument that they are more complex and nuanced than Wolverine, and I'll destroy it.
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By castleking
    @thegentlemanrogue said:
    @Billy Batson said:

Make an argument that they are more complex and nuanced than Wolverine, and I'll destroy it.
    pfff.. Wolverine doesnt know what it is to have lost someone or a planet and live with that loss.  >_>
    Detroit101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By Detroit101

because he sucks big adamantium dick, thats why

just playin

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Billy Batson
    @thegentlemanrogue said:
    @Billy Batson said:
    @thegentlemanrogue said:

Haven't you read Superman and Batman? And I'd like to see yours first...

@castleking said:
    @thegentlemanrogue said:
    @Billy Batson said:

pfff.. Wolverine doesnt know what it is to have lost someone or a planet and live with that loss.  >_>

you're a Wolverine fan...so sarcasm?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.