Big plot hole in the Old Man Logan series: Wolvie vs X-Men.

#1 Posted by Degalon (737 posts) - - Show Bio

It says Mysterio tricked Wolverine into killing all the other X-Men.

Putting aside that Logan would probably figure it out by smelling the X-Men as he was fighting them, we hit the big wall: Half the X-Men would wipe the floor with Logan. Much like the Superior Spider-Man flooring him a while back reminded everyone...Wolverine is NOT a powerhouse. He's just a clawed guy who can take a beating. He's popular, and very deadly in close combat. But I remember back before his uberpopularity, his main role was getting his butt kicked because he was the hothead who rushed in first.

Like in the 90s cartoon, when he tried to take on Iceman...iceman just froze him in a block of ice, and he was helpless. He's VERY prone to mind control and psychics, which the X-Men are full of, and a lot of them are energy projectors, who would just blast Wolverine across the lawn. And all the various other mutants who are just flat out IMMUNE to being cut to death (Rockslide, dust, etc, etc)

I didn't actually read the issue, but it didn't sound like he snuck around killing them one by one. And if it was a big battle royale, Logan only even stands a chance against a few of the X-Men, at best.

#2 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogue could take Logan out easy right.

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29331 posts) - - Show Bio

Logan himself said Mysterio modified his trick so that smelling the difference wasn't possible.

#4 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read Old Man Logan in a while so I may have forgotten something but it's possible that he took all of them by surprise when they let their guard down.

#5 Posted by Bolzar (209 posts) - - Show Bio

To point out it was obvious PIS, to know that it is an alternate universe story so it doesn't matter.

#6 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just one of many examples of catering to fanboys of a character, but that will not keep someone from using scans as if they are proof Logan is a team killer

#7 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

Since this took place in an alternate universe, I wasn't that shocked about the fact that Wolverine took down all of the X-Men. He even managed to kill THE HULK in this story!!! In the mainstream universe, however, he would have been beaten by:

Rogue - she can just suck out his powers

Iceman - he can just freeze him.

Any telepath - they can mind control him (look at what Emma Frost did to Wolverine in Astonishing X-Men)

Shadowcat - she can just phase through him

Colossus - he could just hit him across the room

Cyclops - he could just blast him with his optic blasts

The list just goes on and on....

#8 Posted by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio

It said plainly that they were all surprised, confused, and holding back.

#9 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bolzar said:

To point out it was obvious PIS, to know that it is an alternate universe story so it doesn't matter.

I agree with this, although I agree that Wolverine could not take on all the X-Men I am willing to look over it for the sace of the story telling at hand, so just kick back and enjoy the book.

#10 Edited by RisingBean (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

The part in that fight that got me was that Jubilee seemed to be his toughest matchup.

#11 Posted by cameron83 (6416 posts) - - Show Bio

@bolzar said:

this.

If it was 616,many of them would wipe the floor with him as said.

#12 Edited by cameron83 (6416 posts) - - Show Bio

However,people like Colossus and Cyclops I can actually believe.But powerful telepaths,Iceman,Kitty Pride,etc etc would murder him.

#13 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4358 posts) - - Show Bio

Logan himself said Mysterio modified his trick so that smelling the difference wasn't possible.

I haven't read Old Man Logan in a while so I may have forgotten something but it's possible that he took all of them by surprise when they let their guard down.

These TWO

( + )

#14 Posted by Destinyhero20 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

He probably kill all the ones who could take him out first and Mysterio probably use something that block his senses

The X Men just didn't see it coming and didn't want to really hurt Wolverine (so they hold back)

#15 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2511 posts) - - Show Bio

the book stated that the Xmen were holding back but I get your point....and Wolverine can take out quite a few Xmen 1v1 IMO. any telepath, Rogue, Iceman and Rockslide which you mentioned, but I believe he could take Cyclops, Colossus and other characters that can't get into his head or could not be affected by the fearsome claws of logan.

#16 Posted by JonSmith (3822 posts) - - Show Bio

The X Men just didn't see it coming and didn't want to really hurt Wolverine (so they hold back)

The idea that they held back is what bugs me about all this: WHY?! Why on EARTH would they hold back against LOGAN? He can heal from just about anything. If they were up against just about ANY other hero, holdingback would be justified, but Logan? They could pretty much do whatever they wanted and he'd survive. Sure, he'd be a bit grumpy, but HE'S TRYING TO KILL THEM.

So why hold back? Not like they could do much lasting damage to him.

#17 Posted by kid Apollo (697 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: sometimes logic isnt a factor. if he comes out a bum rushes them, takes out 2 or 3 in the first wave, shock will set in. sure theyre trained heroes but if he were able to take out Shadowcat, and a couple others then the team would definitely be in WTF mode. how many times has he been brain washed by some bad guy or organization? i'll bet that most of the team jus figured it was his time of the month(to get brain washed, not the other time of the month) and probably underestimated how hard he would be coming at them

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.