Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16088 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

are you sick of wolverine?

• 98 results
    Htgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Htgeist

He seems to be in every second marvel issue these days. To be honest I buy and collect a ton of books and don't really have much time to read a lot of them, but when I do it more often than not will be a wolverine related issue.

Htgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Htgeist

This was going to be in the X-Men forum but I cant seem to get posts to go there.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

As far as his multiple titles goes:

I do not care.

As far as him being the center of X-Men comics: This irritates me.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jordama

finally someone else who is not afraid to admit it. he is way to over used. it doesn't even make sense for him to be all over the place.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Caligula

yes and no

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By moviegeek17

im way more sick of deadpool than i am of wolverine. so not really. then again i dont really read xmen too much so maybe i would feel differently about him if i did

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MrMiracle77

I'd say he's been done to death, but his healing factor prevents that.

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LT1085

I'm sick of superman

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Primmaster64

Yes

wolviepool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wolviepool

wolviepool rules suckers!
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

i like wolverine but at the same time i know many overrate him, the biggest problem with his over use is that eventually people will get sick of it even the hardcore fanboys at some point will be saying its too much then itll start losing money which will cause the character to eventually be cast aside

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

See, it's interesting. Sometimes I'll sit there and enjoy reading about him tearing people apart, whilst other times I want to fly to America and punch Len Wein in the face for creating him. 
    But, to be truthful, I don't care what Marvel does with him as long as he stays the hell out of the Avengers. Put him in the X-Books? Fine. Have him in his own titles? Fine. Don't care. Put him in the New Avengers? No. That's idiotic. Not only does his involvement ALWAYS feel forced, he just lacks the depth of (cough) better (cough), I mean "other", characters in the book.

daveydavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By daveydavey
    @wolviepool said:
    " wolviepool rules suckers! "
    What Wolviepool! Two in one.....Hahahahahha
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @GT-Man said:
    " NEVER WILL I BE TIRED OF HIM NEVER SUPES SUCKS SORRY "
    What does Superman have to do with anything?
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By doordoor123

Hes my favorite Marvel character so i dont mind.

mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mavfan626

YEP yeah to much Wolverine 
    <------- Said the deadpool fan :P ahah

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By danhimself

people ask writers and editors at Marvel all the time about Wolverine and Deadpool's over exposure....they always answer the same way to...if issues where the characters appear didn't always sell higher than the books normal figures then they would stop using them so much

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By joshmightbe

its like with a popular song when you first hear it you like it then it starts getting played more and more often then you think ok this could get old the next thing you youre thinking the next time i hear that f**kin song im gonna freak out then like a year later all the people who said how great it was are on vh1 telling people how dumb they were for liking it in the first place i just dont want wolvie to end up like chumba wumba(i understand if noone remembers that band)
    Avatar image for thegentlemanrogue
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine lacks the depth of the other Avengers? That's rich. Wolverine is one of the most dynamic and complex characters in comicdom bar none. While the majority of the main stream comic icons are pretty straight forward in their characterization, Wolverine's is a walking contradiction, which makes him unique. Logan is a man who by all rights should be a villain, but fights with every fiber of his being to be a better man. This division is what makes Wolverine so intriguing. The foundation of Wolverine's character his built upon several contrasting and opposing forces. Man vs Beast. Nature vs Nurture. Hero vs Villain. Samurai vs Berserker.  He is at once all of these things and none of them. He is not the Samurai or the Berserker, but the Samurai [b]and[/b] the Berserker at once. It's this dichotomy that makes Wolverine such a deep and interesting character, and unlike most character it is fundamental a part of Wolverine at all times. There is no Clark Kent, there is no Bruce Wayne, there is no Peter Parker. Wolverine and Logan are the same, and they struggle with the same demons. The fact that is as also be hinted at that Wolverine knows he can never achieve his goals, that he his merely postponing the inevitable and will one day end up just like Sabretooth makes his story even more poignant.  The only Avenger that even approachs the depth of Wolverine's character - that isn't a villain - is Tony Stark.

Anyway Wolverine appears in about as many books each month as Batman, and I don't hear anyone complaining about that. Am I supposed to believe that Batman is more deserving of his appearance numbers than Wolverine is? Because I don't think that is the case at all. Unlike Batman it at least makes sense for Wolverine to appear in so many books on a superficial level at the very least. He has a healing factor, with affords him superhuman stamina and the ability to go much longer without sleep. He doesn't have to put on the Bruce Wayne show every day. He also has a deeper and more diverse history that allows for him to appear and a wider variety of stories, spanning different genres and time periods.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe
    @thegentlemanrogue:
    i agree with most of what youre saying but i dont think any character should be used to the point where it gets annoying cause eventually it leads to backlashes of hate toward the character no matter what the quality
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @thegentlemanrogue said:
    " Wolverine lacks the depth of the other Avengers? That's rich. Wolverine is one of the most dynamic and complex characters in comicdom bar none. While the majority of the main stream comic icons are pretty straight forward in their characterization, Wolverine's is a walking contradiction, which makes him unique. Logan is a man who by all rights should be a villain, but fights with every fiber of his being to be a better man. This division is what makes Wolverine so intriguing. The foundation of Wolverine's character his built upon several contrasting and opposing forces. Man vs Beast. Nature vs Nurture. Hero vs Villain. Samurai vs Berserker.  He is at once all of these things and none of them. He is not the Samurai or the Berserker, but the Samurai [b]and[/b] the Berserker at once. It's this dichotomy that makes Wolverine such a deep and interesting character, and unlike most character it is fundamental a part of Wolverine at all times. There is no Clark Kent, there is no Bruce Wayne, there is no Peter Parker. Wolverine and Logan are the same, and they struggle with the same demons. The fact that is as also be hinted at that Wolverine knows he can never achieve his goals, that he his merely postponing the inevitable and will one day end up just like Sabretooth makes his story even more poignant.  The only Avenger that even approachs the depth of Wolverine's character - that isn't a villain - is Tony Stark.

Anyway Wolverine appears in about as many books each month as Batman, and I don't hear anyone complaining about that. Am I supposed to believe that Batman is more deserving of his appearance numbers than Wolverine is? Because I don't think that is the case at all. Unlike Batman it at least makes sense for Wolverine to appear in so many books on a superficial level at the very least. He has a healing factor, with affords him superhuman stamina and the ability to go much longer without sleep. He doesn't have to put on the Bruce Wayne show every day. He also has a deeper and more diverse history that allows for him to appear and a wider variety of stories, spanning different genres and time periods.

"
    Yes, you are supposed to believe that, because it's the truth. Wolverine is not an in depth character, he is a series of layered clichés. By giving him no memory, Marvel allowed themselves the opportunity to add whatever character traits they felt like. For example; Wolverine is a psychotic killer. No, he's a father figure. No, he's a samurai. No, wait, he's an Avenger. No, wait, he likes killing. Hang on, no he doesn't. He can't remember his past, wait yes he can. 
    It's insanity. He's a bland smash and grab type who has been given every advantage a comic character could have been given.  This is my opinion.

I understand that you must like Wolverine, and I appreciate the statement you have presented, but I cannot possibly agree with it. I really hope we don't get into a massive argument over this, I''m just asserting that I am currently your antithesis.
    Avatar image for thegentlemanrogue
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

" @thegentlemanrogue said:

" Wolverine lacks the depth of the other Avengers? That's rich. Wolverine is one of the most dynamic and complex characters in comicdom bar none. While the majority of the main stream comic icons are pretty straight forward in their characterization, Wolverine's is a walking contradiction, which makes him unique. Logan is a man who by all rights should be a villain, but fights with every fiber of his being to be a better man. This division is what makes Wolverine so intriguing. The foundation of Wolverine's character his built upon several contrasting and opposing forces. Man vs Beast. Nature vs Nurture. Hero vs Villain. Samurai vs Berserker.  He is at once all of these things and none of them. He is not the Samurai or the Berserker, but the Samurai [b]and[/b] the Berserker at once. It's this dichotomy that makes Wolverine such a deep and interesting character, and unlike most character it is fundamental a part of Wolverine at all times. There is no Clark Kent, there is no Bruce Wayne, there is no Peter Parker. Wolverine and Logan are the same, and they struggle with the same demons. The fact that is as also be hinted at that Wolverine knows he can never achieve his goals, that he his merely postponing the inevitable and will one day end up just like Sabretooth makes his story even more poignant.  The only Avenger that even approachs the depth of Wolverine's character - that isn't a villain - is Tony Stark.

"

Yes, you are supposed to believe that, because it's the truth. Wolverine is not an in depth character, he is a series of layered clichés. By giving him no memory, Marvel allowed themselves the opportunity to add whatever character traits they felt like. For example; Wolverine is a psychotic killer. No, he's a father figure. No, he's a samurai. No, wait, he's an Avenger. No, wait, he likes killing. Hang on, no he doesn't. He can't remember his past, wait yes he can.  It's insanity. He's a bland smash and grab type who has been given every advantage a comic character could have been given.  This is my opinion.  I understand that you must like Wolverine, and I appreciate the statement you have presented, but I cannot possibly agree with it. I really hope we don't get into a massive argument over this, I''m just asserting that I am currently your antithesis. "

Hehe, it seems we couldn't possibly disagree more. You are entitled to your opinion, but I really wish I could change it. lol

Obviously Wolverine's core concept was built around established character archetypes, (the Gunslinger / Man with No-Name archetypes come to mind), but which character wasn't? Over the course of his career Wolverine has evolved into his own unique archetype, just as Batman has branched out from being the archetypal Pulp Detective / "Shadow"-esq hero, into his own classification. To say that Wolverine merely layers of  clichés is disingenuous. All his complexities and contradictions are well explained within the confines of his character. For example Wolverine's training as a samurai (and all subsequent martial arts training, and even joining the military) was an attempt to counter balance his "psychotic killer" tendencies. Wolverine's senses are so sharp that he was instinctively reading threats and insults from subliminal cues in people's body language which would send him into a rage. So he needed to temper this rage with the discipline one learns from the martial arts.  It's cause and effect. None of the contrasting philosophies that exist in Wolverine are arbitrary, they all are their for a reason, usually a noble trait to be the direct opposition of a less noble one. It's a man vs. beast,  Jekyll and Hyde dynamic.

Now, certainly there are some mischaracterizations of Wolverine just like with all characters (Lara Hama's Batman anyone?). X-Force for example never sat well with me. Wolverine has always been willing to kill, but it was always presented as something he was doing so that none of the other X-Men would have to do it. If someone was going to get their hands dirty it was going to be Wolverine, and only Wolverine. While killing may be necessary in some cases (many cases in Wolverine's adventures), it was not something he was going to let the other X-Men do if he had a choice. Wolverine himself was too far gone to change, but he would protect any of the X-Men from walking a similar path. But bad story lines don't detract from the overal depth of a character, and as it stands Wolverine is one of the most complex characters in comicdom bar none.
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Meteorite

I do like Wolverine, but I don't like him being overused. (The same goes for Deadpool)

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By D3athstroke

Nope i like Wolverine ))

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @thegentlemanrogue: It really saddens, because although I agree with you, I just can't get behind him as a character. And the worst part is, it's not his fault. The fault lies with Marvel. Honestly, if Wolverine was taken out of the New Avengers, I wouldn't have a problem with him. His being in every team just really annoys. He's an X-Man. Give him his solos, have him guest-star, but he is an X-Man, not an Avenger! Ok, Secret Avenger, I could understand that, but not a public-eye Avenger. You get what I'm saying. Wolverine annoys the hell out of me, and it's got nothing to do with him. My rant before mostly came as a result of misplaced frustration.
    RavenDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RavenDark

What he said (Titannus) I say...
    What he said (Titannus) I say...
    rbysjti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rbysjti

Never been sick of Wolvie for as long as he's drawn well. He's the best!

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Theodore

I love Wolverine.

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#29  Edited By Aspenite

I´m not sick of him. I think he is a cool character so it´s great to see him in the books.

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By GT-Man

i was JK about the other post i love supes but i WILL NEVER GET TIRED OF WOLVERINE NEVER

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GT-Man
    @FadeToBlackBolt:
    i was jk i love supes
    mightiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By mightiness

I soooo sick of Wolverine it isn't even funny. I hate him in Avengers and every X issue he appears in. Most of all I hate Daken and X-23 and all of his Wolverine wannabe buddies.

Scoobypuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Scoobypuff
    @thegentlemanrogue: i agree with what your saying but i think you don't take into consideration the basic frustration people may have not with him being in a whopping number of books but that those books put him in san fransico, new york, japan and russia all in the same month. well at least thats what ticks me off about him.

the only wolverine book that was in anyway intresting recently was old man logan cuz it was something different,and wolverine really needs to be something different now cuz he's getting old. personally i liked him when he was an jerk who liked to fight and get drunk.
    Postacrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Postacrat

I honestly feel most people who are sick of wolverine never cared that much for him to begin with, now that's just some theory mixed with hate blogs I've read so don't bite my head off over it.  I admit he is used a lot but that is not what bothers me, or what I'm tired of.  What I am tired of is the way his character is used.  I love Wolverine, I think his character would be more interesting if he relied less on his claws for everything.  I'm sorry but for over 100 years of training for him just to end up a punching bag constantly annoys me.  His skill is never displayed, his in-comic abilities and martial arts prowess pail in comparison to how they are displayed in most marvel databases.  In fact the only time I see martial arts prowess in him is when he's fighting another martial artist, and usually winning barely if at all.  I wish they would make his claws a last resort kind of thing, I've seen books where wolverine was masterful only taking out his claws to kill or kick it up a notch against a tougher opponent.  Now he just swings them around and nobody is letting him cut them, they just dodge and or throw him somewhere.  He's everywhere because he's popular but his skills are a sad reflection of Hulk vs Wolverine days.   Lastly I'm tired of wolverine fighting past ghosts, it's time for writers to direct him to the future wasn't that the point of them adding his mental healing so he can let go of the past? Oh and I am a fan of superman because he has a purpose he protects an entire planet, makes more sense to me than the Sentry.....
    growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By growup
    @joshmightbe said:
    " its like with a popular song when you first hear it you like it then it starts getting played more and more often then you think ok this could get old the next thing you youre thinking the next time i hear that f**kin song im gonna freak out then like a year later all the people who said how great it was are on vh1 telling people how dumb they were for liking it in the first place i just dont want wolvie to end up like chumba wumba(i understand if noone remembers that band) "
    Hahahaha I remember this band, great analogy.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By InnerVenom123

Don't care either way.

Avatar image for themanofsteel456
    TheManOfSteel456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheManOfSteel456
    @LT1085:  

Why?
    Demonturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By Demonturtle

he is by far my favorite caracter, but its hard too keep up.  I havent won the lottery yet to collect all his books.  Its making me not care about the caracter as much because you know he is going to show up in another story line next week.
    RiddleMeThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By RiddleMeThis

Hang on a moment -  Sick of our good friend Wolverine? Is this some kind of tastless joke?  
    But seriously, how come you all dislike him? He's great!
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @RiddleMeThis said:
    " Hang on a moment -  Sick of our good friend Wolverine? Is this some kind of tastless joke?  But seriously, how come you all dislike him? He's great! "
    After the 57th use of the word "Bub" he gets old.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#42  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Well since I only see him in New Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, and Wolverine: Weapon X (the only books I read with him in them) it really doesn't bother me, so I would say no.

homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By homeslice

I don't like him that much cuz I think he's overrated. It's not because he's so UTTERLY TERRIBLE or cuz he exists in 1000 places at once. These make him annoying but I think most people who are sick of him, are sick because every time he shows up somewhere (which is..everywhere) he tends to dominate the pages. People have favourite characters other than wolverine and once he is in an issue he absolutely HAS to be the star. marvel makes him the alleged best h2h fighter and a mutant and an avenger in addition to 100 years of fighting practice which basically makes the other characters in the book irrelevant.

I think cyclops is cool but he never gets a fair chance cuz of wolverine. I was terrified when he became an avenger because he would then put characters such as cap and spidey and thor etc on the sidelines. If he wasn't as FORCIBLY important as he is I'm sure the few people that don't like him,might.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Chaos Prime

No :-)

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By Forever
    @homeslice said:
    " I don't like him that much cuz I think he's overrated. It's not because he's so UTTERLY TERRIBLE or cuz he exists in 1000 places at once. These make him annoying but I think most people who are sick of him, are sick because every time he shows up somewhere (which is..everywhere) he tends to dominate the pages. People have favourite characters other than wolverine and once he is in an issue he absolutely HAS to be the star. marvel makes him the alleged best h2h fighter and a mutant and an avenger in addition to 100 years of fighting practice which basically makes the other characters in the book irrelevant.  I think cyclops is cool but he never gets a fair chance cuz of wolverine. I was terrified when he became an avenger because he would then put characters such as cap and spidey and thor etc on the sidelines. If he wasn't as FORCIBLY important as he is I'm sure the few people that don't like him,might. "
    I agree with a lot of this.
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By King Quisling

No way. Wolverine is the coolest. 

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Green Skin

He's in so many books for a reason.  He's that popular for a reason.  As far as h2h fighters go he has one of the absolute best powersets.  Of coarse Marvel is going to put him in as many things as they can, because he makes money and Marvel is first and foremost a business. Don't like it just ignore it., they do this kind of thing with all the popular characters.

X-93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By X-93

Yes, wolverine is way overused.   Wolverine is my favorite character of all time.  I've been collecting and reading x-men and wolverine books since I was 10 yrs old.  Back in the early '80's.  I always wanted more wolverine.  Mostly because he was only in x-men comics not on solo adventures.  I always dreamed of having all these books every month with wolverine in all of them.  Now that he is in every comic from spider-man, deadpool, psylocke, new avengers, x-men, x-force, weapon x, origins, red hulk, green hulk, and so on.   It is a little disturbing.  I just collect the story lines I want to follow and ignore the rest.  I guess too much is better than just a side story in uncanny x-men.

playabender22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By playabender22

That's the most stupid question ever Wolverine's the greatest.
    Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Yumulu

There something fishy going on at Marvel...

Fist they overuse Wolverine like crazy 
    Second they give Deadpool 4 running series at the same time
    Third they start to use Daken more and more.... (well maybe)

Well someone that get cut/shot/decapited/gutted/etc every two issu is fun for a while but it get old pretty fast, I just hope the Deapool craze will cool down soon so with less immortal killers people will probly be less annoyed by the overuse of Wolvie

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.