Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16078 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Adamantium/Healing Question.

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Okay, I know that the Adamantium is bonded to his bones, but does this mean it's like a type of alloy that's slightly stronger?

here's another, say wolverine's adamantium starts rusting inside his body, would his healing factor get rid of the adamantium, coat it in extra bone, or something like that?

Dark King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Dark King

The Adamantium in Wolverine is Beta Adamantium it is unique with different properties than your average adamantium.
    they are more resistant to snapping if it were possible due to their tensile strength and slight bending ability if it were ever able to reach it's breaking point.

Wolverine's  healing is constantly trying to  get rid of the adamantium so if it were to rust his body would treat it as such and push it out or break it down like it does any other foreign matter

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!
    @Dark King: Would his healing factor be able to do that, considering that the metal is virtually indestructible?
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By castleking

do what, break it down into rust?
    answer is no.

but his healing factor has altered the molecular structure turning it into Beta Adamantium. I dont believe  adamantium has ever shown capable of rusting, i dont think it can due to the nature of the metal.

but with sufficient force of will and maxing out his healing factor Logan as been able in the past to extrude out the adamantium in large quantities from his body  prior to it completely bonding to him. It was during the time he was captured by genesis.

sidetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By sidetrack

(Wow this is my 1st posting) there was something that did'nt make sense 2 me about Wolverines healing factor & skeleton.I remeber that a few months ago (after curse of the mutants I think) there was a mutant flu going around that messed up Wolverine's healing factor.Due 2 his healing factor not working he was getting metal poisoning in his blood due 2 his admantium.That does'nt make sense 2 me becuase dont the charachters Bullseye and (more recently) Hammerhead have adamantium skeletons but no healing abilities and they dont get metal poisoning.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Green Skin
    @Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! said:
    Okay, I know that the Adamantium is bonded to his bones, but does this mean it's like a type of alloy that's slightly stronger?  here's another, say wolverine's adamantium starts rusting inside his body, would his healing factor get rid of the adamantium, coat it in extra bone, or something like that?
    Adamantium doesn't rust.  Rusting cannot happen to non iron metals, this is why metals like titanium can be used for surgical implants. 
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By DH69

what i want to know is how they got it perfectly coated to his bones, i mean they basically put it on him while it was in a liquid state then had it harden but how did they stop it from having run off like a candle, did they grind the imperfections down or did writers back then not think that far ahead and leave it up in the air.

and if he gets ripped in 2 like in Ult Hulk vs wolverine or somehow gets dismembered how do they fix the break in the adamantium.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Green Skin
    @DH69 said:

what i want to know is how they got it perfectly coated to his bones, i mean they basically put it on him while it was in a liquid state then had it harden but how did they stop it from having run off like a candle, did they grind the imperfections down or did writers back then not think that far ahead and leave it up in the air.

My guess is that they injected the metal into the actual bones with the aim of getting it to seep out the pores of the bone tissue.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By DH69
    @Green Skin said:
    @DH69 said:

My guess is that they injected the metal into the actual bones with the aim of getting it to seep out the pores of the bone tissue.

well thats how its usually depicted but that would still bring about a large window of imperfections
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By castleking
    @DH69

he had probes strategically placed through out his body where the adamantium was injected into.
    Professor Cornelius, Hines nor anyone else really knew what they were doing or how the process would work.
    they found out during the process that Wolverine's physiology was altering the metal on a molecular level.

The metal wasnt coated on top of his bones like many think, it was bonded and fused on a molecular level there is a big difference hence why his bones arent jagged or anything since they took the same pattern as his bones once it became Beta Adamantium.

His Healing Factor has a unique interaction with the adamantium softening it to near liquid level as well and breaking it down. you can see it in Wolverine's annual issue #100.
    Wolverine refused the adamantium on a conscious level and pushed it out of his body extruding it out in liquid metal in small hair like spikes till he finally raged out and pushed it out in an explosive force where it reharden as soon as it was out of his body and flew all over the lap with explosive force like shrapnel killing and injuring people.
    WhiteLantern#1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WhiteLantern#1

Can Wolverines adamantium beta be broken? damaged? melted? at all?

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
    Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WhiteLantern#1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#14 god_spawn  Moderator

@whitelantern_1: Yes. We don’t know the force it takes to break adamantium, but Thor’s managed to leave the tiniest of dinks in a cylinder of it. And things that can alter molecules may also affect such as the molecular rearranger Ultron had.

WhiteLantern#1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WhiteLantern#1

@god_spawn said:

@whitelantern_1: Yes. We don’t know the force it takes to break adamantium, but Thor’s managed to leave the tiniest of dinks in a cylinder of it. And things that can alter molecules may also affect such as the molecular rearranger Ultron had.

I see. So no physical force from a being using physical strength has damaged him significantly? (adamantium-wise)

felgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#17 god_spawn  Moderator
    WhiteLantern#1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WhiteLantern#1

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.