About Wolverine's healing factor

#1 Posted by CannotSpellMyName (92 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm the kind of comic reader who demands some degree of credibility to be able to fully appreciate the stories and characters, therefore a big hobby of mine is to speculate about the scientific flaws in certain comic elements and ways to make them less implausible. One of the things I've been thinking about is: How can Wolverine regenerate pounds of flesh and other tissues as rapidly as he does? From where does he gain the nutrition to reproduce his cells at such a fast rate? Does he have to eat huge amounts of food beforehand so that he can store energy for his healing factor to work? Will he no longer be able to heal if he stops eating, and if not, where does his body get energy from? Is it some extra-dimensional source like the Hulk?

#2 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

His cells don't need energy to reproduce, it's most likely triggered by a chemical reaction or neurological impulse and then they just begin to replicate... or the energy comes from either a chemical or electrical source which is then turned into the energy needed to stimulate cell division

#3 Posted by ExtraLarge (243 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine's body pulls carbon dioxide from the air to create mass to grow new tissue. That's why he hates environmentalists.

#4 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@CannotSpellMyName said:

I'm the kind of comic reader who demands some degree of credibility to be able to fully appreciate the stories and characters, therefore a big hobby of mine is to speculate about the scientific flaws in certain comic elements and ways to make them less implausible. One of the things I've been thinking about is: How can Wolverine regenerate pounds of flesh and other tissues as rapidly as he does? From where does he gain the nutrition to reproduce his cells at such a fast rate? Does he have to eat huge amounts of food beforehand so that he can store energy for his healing factor to work? Will he no longer be able to heal if he stops eating, and if not, where does his body get energy from? Is it some extra-dimensional source like the Hulk?

well in some comics you can see he say he need to eat to maintain his healing factor working ex. one when he was in the desert, and talking about the energy in others comics when he overload his healing factor and he is not in berserk, he usually faint because he run out of energy

#5 Posted by God_Spawn (38241 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't need large amounts of food for his healing to work per se but he does need to eat and proper rest etc for it to work at maximum capacity. The more damage he gets, the more tired he gets, the less food he eats(like if he was starving himself for awhile) he would heal slower.

#6 Posted by EnigmaDope (34 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hunter114 said:

His cells don't need energy to reproduce, it's most likely triggered by a chemical reaction or neurological impulse and then they just begin to replicate... or the energy comes from either a chemical or electrical source which is then turned into the energy needed to stimulate cell division

#7 Posted by Dernman (15451 posts) - - Show Bio

They should dial his healing factor down and slow healing major damage down.

#8 Posted by ADAMocracy (132 posts) - - Show Bio

I always just told myself his white blood cells multiply by 1000 every second of every day.

#9 Posted by crazyguy47 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

His cells multiply so fast It's a wonder he doesn't have cancer.

#10 Posted by Maikel (374 posts) - - Show Bio

In ultimate wolverine vs. Hulk, the hulk ripped him in half, he had to crawl over to his legs to collect them(claiming they would not regrow themselves), apparently he had planned to re-attach his spine to his pelvis himself(LoL?), but the hulk and later fury interveined. Then fury had Wolverines head removed, and it was still functional(he even tried to kill him by placing him in a vacuum, but this proved impossible because he came back to life as soon as he was taken out of the vacuum), talking and all. Later on in the story She-hulk rips his eye out, and in a conversartion with Banner he mentions it takes him longer to regrow a complex organ like an eye then simply healing normal wounds.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.