theacidskull's Wolverine: Old Man Logan #1 - Old Man Logan review

Not Too Old

I'll be honest for a second, I at first, was really skeptical about reading this, Miller has had good stories, but he usually goes overboard with the Level of violence and vulgarity, and from what I've seen about this particular tale, is that his hulk just simply deviates from the characters core (i'll address that later during the review), but i decided that judging something i haven't read is not fair really, so i decided to give it a chance, plus Millar can be great when he really wants to be, sure his writing goes of the charts in immaturity sometimes but that's only when he is given to much freedom.

Before i move to the writing, let me just say how much i love the art. The great thing about this story is that it's supposed to be gritty and edgy, and at the same time, it has to stay within some boundaries, so in this case, the artist is given a lot of freedom in terms of violence and character design. I love wolverines look, his style is dated and radically different from what you'd usually expect but there are familiar elements about him, which works really well. Long story short, i can easily say that the art fits the story perfectly.

Now the writing is something i though i'd have a lot of problems with, but the premise is actually amazing. The Villains have finely managed to organize and defeat the heroes once and for all, it's kind of like the apocalypse, only this time around, it's not about zombies or demons, it's the simple fact that the heroes didn't win. The Premise is so good that i wouldn't mind seeing this story from the perspective of other heroes one day(it's a bit late for that but i might as well put this thought out there). In this particular case we see things from wolverines eyes. So naturally i though that this was going to be a generic situation where wolverine is the only survivor, meaning it's up to him to regain some control, but this story actually put Wolverine in the kind of situation i wouldn't imagine him in. Wolverine has tried to redeem himself before, yes, but that doesn't mean that he would restrict himself from doing what needed to be done, or that he'd give up on fighting. Here he becomes a pacifist. Yes, Wolverine, becomes a pacifist of all things, which at first seems off, but as the story progresses it actually makes a lot of damn sense.

The Whole idea of this tale, is putting heroes in the type of situation in which they have to become crooks and "criminals" in order to do some actual good. Marvel Heroes are the type of people many look up to, so when Millar deconstructs them, it's actually a very interesting process. I'm Very glad they choose Hawkeye as supporting character, Because at the time this was written, Hawkeye has a very strict rule about killing people, so seeing him fall so far makes the reader realize what they had gone through. However, despite Hawkeyes change, it's still very vivid that he maintained, even after everything, his heroic spirit, he's still hawkeye, only he's willing to do more for the greater good. Though, There was one thing that bothered me, one of Hawkeyes x-wives is spider-mans daughter, which, in case you hadn't analysed it, is petty damn weird considering that Hawkeye is older than Peter Parker himself. It's not a big deal, but damn, it's things like this that take the enjoyment out of Millars stories.

Moving On, Wolverine as i said, made a promise that he would never hurt another living soul as long as he lived. This is made very clear from the beginning of the issue. Now, this story contains eight issues, so having the ability to develop a character is really important here, because, honestly who'd want to see wolverine talk about how he doesn't want to fight? The answer is no one. In the first few chapters, Wolverine absolutely reject fighting and violence, he doesn't even defend himself from the Hulk gang, even though he can slaughter them fairly easily. As the story moves forward, we slowly see the process of Logan fading away, and wolverine coming back. At the moment of wolverines FULL return, there is strong symbolism put into it, because he comes back while fighting with captain Americas shield. Captain America is an inspiration to the hero community, he's a soldier too, so having wolverine come back through such means shows that Millar wanted to showcase how Logan finely understood that doing nothing won't help anyone, though he comes to this final conclusion a bit later, but this moment is important because it's the point where everything was initiated.

On the other hand, i had immense problems in this issue. Most people ignore this but for a huge hulk fan like myself i find this nuance to be very important. While the story does Wolverine absolute justice, it does terrible things for the Hulk. Mark Miller seems to be interested in how Hulk, represents the primal monster who acts on impulse. This mean of course that if Banner represses something, hulk will display it right away as the transformation occurs. This is something i've noticed in his Ultimates series as well. Look, i love different interpretations, which is one of the reasons why i enjoyed when we see well known characters showcased differently then what we are use to, but this was going a bit overboard. Hulk is a cannibalistic monster here, who had sex with Jennifer, his Cousin, and created a whole gang that way. Wouldn't it have been better if banner had made a devise and created an army with it? It would have showcased his intelligence as a scientist which would have made him more of a threat. why go with this revolting rout? and how was bruce banner punching Wolverine around? when did he Become a powerhouse without the Hulk? That's a big Gap right there. However, despite what i've said, i guess i can see why Mark went about this from this perspective, Bruce Banner has always had great will power, it's part of his character, and he's been shown to never actually break, his just too "strong" for that, which is where the phrase "Strongest There Is" comes from. it Refers to Banners Will power and hulks strength. So having the strongest there is crack to the point where he would become a monstrous cannibal who kills people when he gets bored, really shows how humanity and the hero community has fallen. I guess you could say that Through him, Millar represented The state of the world. Though personally i don't see why he didn't Choose sabertooth, it would have made so much more sense to me, and it would give wolverine a more personal reason to break his new rule.

Overall Though, i can't really fault the story because it does seem to accomplish in what it wanted to do, and it's not like this does any damage to hulks character, since it's an alternate universe. So i'll say, despite the obvious over-the-top immature moments, it's a great read. I enjoyed it immensely.

4.5/5 - i'd give it a 4.5 but CV doesn't have that option any longer.

Recommendation: yes

Posted by RisingBean

Good review. Some misspelling if you want to edit.

I agree with you. Good story overall, but I was not a fan of how the Hulk was treated or defeated. I like my what if stories to be a one off from a universe I know (616, 1610) but you can tell based on some events that is not the case. Our Hulk would laugh off his "death" in this story and heal before a brawl breaking out. I can deal with his will breaking, because that can happen to anybody. I may not like it, but meh. Alternating powers however drop my score. I'd probably give it a 3.5-4/5.

Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Fantastic review agreed on all points I also found Millar's butchering of the Hulk turned me off a bit and reminded me of how Frank Miller butchered Superman in Dark Knight Returns, Even though that and this got the core characters (Wolverine and Batman) perfectly.

Posted by SC

Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I would actually like to see more of my favorites treated like Hulk was here, because Hulk was damn scary. I mean not the honorable and gentle Hulk I love in mainstream, but warping the Hulk like this makes for a great character I think - also plays on Wolverines origin. I know you and others might not like how writers do this to characters thats understandable. That being said I like mainstream Hulk, also I would love more alt universes where Rogue, Sif, Colossus, Thor, etc were unapologetically monsters and monstrosities heh heh >_>

Love the review mate, am glad to see you looking at some older stuff too, enjoy reading about your views as much on them as newer books.

Moderator
Posted by Deranged Midget

Fantastic review little bro! I personally loved both the artwork and the story as it was so strange and abstract in a sense compared to what we've seen in the current canon. We see a man left with almost nothing, pushed to the brink of his sanity due to the events that happened years ago, stuck in a world overrun by those who he fought so desperately against and now he's basically the one hope left. It's a brilliant story and I'm so glad you had the chance to highlight this!

Keep it coming!

Moderator
Edited by DecoyElite

Nice review, although personally I'm not a fan of this comic.

Edited by TheAcidSkull

Good review. Some misspelling if you want to edit.

oh wow. re-read my review. so many damn mistakes, but i guess it was late, should have waited before writing XD. editing time!

as for the story, i agree, i didn't like what happened to hulk, though i forgave it since it held a symbolic meaning, but I wish miller never writes the Hulk, he's too keen on making him a real monster.

Funny thing is though, that Superman was more in character there than batman. i know this sounds weird, but it's kinda true :P. and thanks!

@sc said:

thanks a bunch ^_^

and i can see why you'd like this. I personally wouldn't mind an EVIL hulk as long as it's an alternate story, but the problem i had here was that it just went overboard. However i over looked it since it held a specific meaning ^_^

Keep it coming!

Thanks man ^_^, means a lot.

Nice review, although personally I'm not a fan of this comic.

Thanks.

and i can totally see why you disliked it :)

Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

@theacidskull: I disagree Superman would never blatantly follow the government and Miller treated him as if he was an idiot he also just made Superman/Wonder Woman get together for sex......Batman was definitely more in character finally embracing the darkness that had been inside him for too long, No problem :)

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

Great review though I personally loved this story even though Hulk was slightly out of character (though it's the future so who can say what should happen).

Posted by TheAcidSkull

Superman realized the Harsh nature of the world they were in, so he decided to ROLE withe the Government for a while because he'd outlive them, and he'd always be alive to save them

Batman was training a bunch of cultists who would do wrong with their new skills ONCE batman was gone.

Hulk wasn't Slightly out of character. That wasn't Hulk at all, it was some other guy who carried hulks name. and Hulk would never stoop the low, ever. Miller just doesn't understand the hulks character.

oh and thanks.

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

Again Superman wouldn't blindly follow the government and become their lackey no matter what has happened he's not like that look at Injustice he realizes the harsh world we live in and decides to take matters into his own hands, Not to mention the government and the army are usually trying to either A) Attack Superman, B) Clone Him or C) Use him to their own needs. He wouldn't trust them.

Didn't he do the same with Jason Todd :p

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: That's what I meant (sorry got slightly confused as I haven't read the story in a while). I did however like how he showed Hulk in the Ultimates as although he is different it isn't too drastic and for an alternative reality seemed very plausible.

No problem.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: If Superman had taken matters into his own hands and opposed the Government in that setting the casualties would have been great because it might have caused a lot of conflict. And Jason Todd was something absolutely different, Batman took him as a son, and he wasn't a delusional cultist he was a kid, who had potential. While the Mutants betrayed their leader really easily once batman defeated them, so when Bruce is gone they'd use their skills on the wrong way.

No problem.

i liked the Ultimates version better as well. While not the Original hulk, he was closer.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: Yeah but the concept would be dull if there wasn't some changes.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@theacidskull: Yeah but the concept would be dull if there wasn't some changes.

yes. I get that, it's an ALT universe, and i like Ult Hulk, but this hulk was just goddamn over the top nasty >_>

Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Actually they would have been less since most conflicts would have stopped like that's why in Injustice there is no more war and conflict is nearly non existent.

I was just kidding with Jason Todd plus what's to say Batman wouldn't just end up taking them all out later :)

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: That is a fair point though I think Millar wanted a villain like Hulk so just decided to make Hulk a villain.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

That's fine man, though i wish it could have toned down on the level of violence and immaturity.

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: Yeah but it is Millar we're talking about, that's why I always feel he's better with characters like Wolverine or Spider-Man rather than someone with as much depth as Hulk.

Edited by lykopis

When I read this, even I was left with a bad taste in my mouth about how Hulk was presented. While I get stories with this level of dystopia will shock and make readers uncomfortable, that discomfort should feel more organic and in some way, true to the character taken so out of character. I felt that here, and at the time I wasn't a fan of the Hulk. I wasn't NOT a fan, just indifferent to the character. For me to be unhappy with this interpretation of the Hulk and what he became speaks to just how much license Millar took with him. It took away from the story for me.

I enjoyed the series, very much because seeing characters in environments outside of what is delivered mainstream always piques my interest. Great breakdown, and glad to read a review which explains why Hulk's depiction could leave some readers unhappy.

Two pence and all that. :)