halfshellhero's Wolverine & the X-Men #1 - Welcome to the X-Men! Now Die! review

Wolverine Brings the X-Men Home

What a spectacular issue! I just had to get that out. The old X-Men comics were among the first comics that I read and along with the Animated Series, there were a lot of fond memories of the X-Men growing up. This first issue really brings me back to when the X-Men were part of a school and weren't so militarized. To be honest though, I find it strange that Wolverine was the one to take the kids back. It kind of makes sense in a way because of his code of honor, but if you asked me 15 years ago, I would have said that Cyclops was going to be the one to take the kids back and Wolverine would have stayed at Utopia.

The story begins with Logan and Kitty at the front of the school, waiting for the inspectors to arrive. To open as a school, the facilities have to pass inspections and be deemed fit for students to attend. As the tour goes on, the stuck up inspector grows more and more alarmed at the past destruction and potential dangers of the school as well as the history of it's colorful staff. The ending opens up a new can of worms with the new Black King of the Hellfire Club paying a visit and revealing the Hellfire Club's involvement in the events that lead half the X-Men back to Westchester.

Throughout the entire issue I wanted to punch that inspector in the face and just yell at her for being so snotty and cold. On the other hand I could rationalize her fear in the destructive capabilities of the mutants and how one might fear for one's safety. Still, the X-Men have saved countless lives and the world several times over, so you think they might get a pass every once in a while.

All in all, I love where the series is headed and have high expectations to match. The writing of Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo's art bring the story alive and engulfs you. It really is a superb creative effort and a perfect harmony of talent. I can't wait until the next issue is out.

Other reviews for Wolverine & the X-Men #1 - Welcome to the X-Men! Now Die!