ryonslaught's Wolverine & the X-Men #1 - Welcome to the X-Men! Now Die! review

• ryonslaught wrote this review on .
  • ryonslaught has written a total of 293 reviews. The last one was for

Sorry I'm staying on Utopia!

View Summary and Scans Here

The Good

Cover-I liked the simplicity of the cover, the team on a blood red background.

Humour- Sure word vomit was everywhere but we also got a fair bit of humor throughout which kept the boredom to a minimum.

Sheer Lunacy- I get the obscure angle this book is taking with Wolverine as Headmaster, Kitty Pryde as headmistress etc and clearly this line of x-men books will be run under the premise of these characters growing into these roles BUT the practicality of it is lost on me….and how can we take this staff serious when Rachel Grey is senior staff and Cannonball is Junior? WTF?

Confirmation- Well we now know that Black Superheroes Gentle, Bling and Cipher will be staying at this school along with Okonkwo/Oya and Frenzy.

Continuity- Fans of Schism (I know some of you are don’t even try to deny it!) should be happy the lame villains from that series….killer kids will play into this new status quo for wolverine.

The Bad

Art- Sorry Chris but this no nowhere close to being the best work you’ve ever done! Generic and uninspired art, weird poses, pointy feet reminiscent of Rob Leifield (Shudder). Lack of detail also springs to mind in various places and the new Hellfire lub black king who’s supposed to be 12 looks the same age as Quentin Quire. Bachalo my man you’re not new to the world of comics so these shoddy commissions may work for newbies but you have a higher standard to uphold.

Out of left field- So now Gladiator has a son? Right!

Characterization- Ok lest start off with the portrayal of Hellion as a school bully….been there done that! This story completely disregards all the character development he went through under Chris Yost and Craig Kyle’s New X-men so they can make him a stereotype once more, what’s worst it’s done in such a generic way his fans should/would be pissed!

Next up is my most hated black superhero EVER, Idie Okonkwo…….she continues to be the literal dumb African….No! Scratch that she behaves like a “tabula rasa/active” character from Joss Whedon’s defunct Dollhouse series. Now don’t get me wrong this portrayal works on a character like X considering her past but makes no sense for Okonkwo. In her defense though she’s been every black cliché one can include in a comic book since her debut so this is just par for the course I guess.

Lack of action- Sorry action junkies this book skimps on the skirmish and explosions for tons of exposition.

Verbose- Word vomit all up and down these pages, page after page after page after page of exposition….

Too much- Honestly while Justice League #1 and even by extension Ultimate Spider-man #1 felt like parts of a story this comic felt like Charlie’s angels full throttle. Too much happening, too much going on allot of things were highly unnecessary, case in point “the Bamfs” essentially mini Night crawlers pop u at the end…was this necessary?

The Ugly

I’m not impressed honestly; sure I expect things to eventually get better but as Flash would say in Young Justice “I’m underwhelmed” 2/5

Other reviews for Wolverine & the X-Men #1 - Welcome to the X-Men! Now Die!

Strange days ahead... 0

I've never been much into the X-men after the dreadful run of Chuck Austen and the simple fact that the stories were mostly the same with cheap relationship drama and the same tired old ''humans oppressing mutants'' schtick that got old years ago. The X-Men were great during the Grant Morrison era when the book embraced how silly the whole concept was. This book also follows that same idea that the X-Men don't have to be dark and serious to be awesome and that Marvel books can have as much fun w...

X-Men Meets Hogwarts 0

Writer Jason Aaron and artist Chris Bachald bring you a new series called Wolverine and the X-Men. There's only one way to describe this comic: awesome fun!The effects of Schism has split the X-Men into two groups. Cyclops' faction on Utopia and Wolverine's faction at Xavier's old school. In fact, Wolverine has decided to open a new school, The Jean Grey School For Higher Learning. Wolverine as Headmaster doesn't sound like it will work, but he's brought some friends to help him: Headmistress Ki...