halfshellhero's Wolverine & the X-Men #1 - Welcome to the X-Men! Now Die! review

Wolverine Brings the X-Men Home

What a spectacular issue! I just had to get that out. The old X-Men comics were among the first comics that I read and along with the Animated Series, there were a lot of fond memories of the X-Men growing up. This first issue really brings me back to when the X-Men were part of a school and weren't so militarized. To be honest though, I find it strange that Wolverine was the one to take the kids back. It kind of makes sense in a way because of his code of honor, but if you asked me 15 years ago, I would have said that Cyclops was going to be the one to take the kids back and Wolverine would have stayed at Utopia.

The story begins with Logan and Kitty at the front of the school, waiting for the inspectors to arrive. To open as a school, the facilities have to pass inspections and be deemed fit for students to attend. As the tour goes on, the stuck up inspector grows more and more alarmed at the past destruction and potential dangers of the school as well as the history of it's colorful staff. The ending opens up a new can of worms with the new Black King of the Hellfire Club paying a visit and revealing the Hellfire Club's involvement in the events that lead half the X-Men back to Westchester.

Throughout the entire issue I wanted to punch that inspector in the face and just yell at her for being so snotty and cold. On the other hand I could rationalize her fear in the destructive capabilities of the mutants and how one might fear for one's safety. Still, the X-Men have saved countless lives and the world several times over, so you think they might get a pass every once in a while.

All in all, I love where the series is headed and have high expectations to match. The writing of Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo's art bring the story alive and engulfs you. It really is a superb creative effort and a perfect harmony of talent. I can't wait until the next issue is out.

Other reviews for Wolverine & the X-Men #1 - Welcome to the X-Men! Now Die!

Strange days ahead... 0

I've never been much into the X-men after the dreadful run of Chuck Austen and the simple fact that the stories were mostly the same with cheap relationship drama and the same tired old ''humans oppressing mutants'' schtick that got old years ago. The X-Men were great during the Grant Morrison era when the book embraced how silly the whole concept was. This book also follows that same idea that the X-Men don't have to be dark and serious to be awesome and that Marvel books can have as much fun w...

X-Men Meets Hogwarts 0

Writer Jason Aaron and artist Chris Bachald bring you a new series called Wolverine and the X-Men. There's only one way to describe this comic: awesome fun!The effects of Schism has split the X-Men into two groups. Cyclops' faction on Utopia and Wolverine's faction at Xavier's old school. In fact, Wolverine has decided to open a new school, The Jean Grey School For Higher Learning. Wolverine as Headmaster doesn't sound like it will work, but he's brought some friends to help him: Headmistress Ki...