no_name_'s Wolverine and Jubilee #1 - Cursed, Part 1 review

Jubilee is Back!

Now that the former X-Men Mutant has lost her powers and has been infected with the vampire virus, how will Jubilee deal with her new identity? How will she repress her thirst for blood?

The Good

I want to start off by saying that I am not a fan of vampire story-lines-  particularly considering the recent influx in the number of vampires and vampire themed stories in a variety of different mediums (thanks Twilight).  However, the recent development at the end of the Curse of the Mutants arc where Jubilee became a vampire is kind of brilliant. Not only is this an opportunity for Marvel to bring Jubilee back to the forefront and take her character in an entirely new direction, it has also opened the door to further explore her relationship with Wolverine. We see that from the very first issue of the four part mini series, Wolverine has the tendency of looking at Jubilee as his daughter and has the habit of feeling somewhat responsible for whatever bad things happen to her; even they are caused by external forces outside of his control.

This issue opens with Jubilee quarantined on Utopia, her thirst for blood contained by a somewhat unreliable treatment being delivered by Dr. Rao. After pleading with Rao, Scott and Emma to let Jubilee out of quarantine; Wolverine promises to look after the former young Mutant.

I do not want to give the story away, but this issue is amazing. The characterizations of Wolverine and Jubilee are fantastic, and it was a lot of fun getting a quick glimpse at Pixie, too! Jubilee is definitely suffering, and extremely confused. No longer a mutant, she feels exiled by those she once called family and is struggling to come to terms with her new identity as a vampire. The art in this issue is perfect- Phil Noto captures the emotions of the characters really well.

The Bad

When a comic is this good, how can I complain?

Jubilee is changing, and her vampire thirst is being written incredibly well. This is a stellar first issue and I definitely recommend it. I think that Jubilee fans will be pleased.
Posted by TheHood

Hmm, I passed on this one when I was at the shop today. I may have to stop back tomorrow.

Posted by Duo_forbidden

Ooh, I'm so tempted to check this out judging by this review. I didn't like when I heard that Jubilee turned into a vampire, but maybe I'll give it a try.

Posted by Deadcool

I always liked that girl in the cartoon, but I have never read about her in a comic, it seems that I will buy this one.

Posted by zombietag

Posted by Thunderscream
@TheHood: same for me.

flipped through it, art was good, seemed like a decent read, but passed....

prolly gonna wait till next week to snag it
Posted by The Devil Tiger
@zombietag said:
"i wont lie this is totally unexpected. i thought making jubilee a vampire was a terrible decision hands down, but i guess if i havent read it i cant judge it yet. i might check this out. "

This.
Posted by Druid

Damn vampires...

Posted by Sobe Cin

Posted by No_Name_
@Sobe Cin said:
" Loved the story. But I have one question Babs, why did you give a 0 out of 10 score, if you enjoyed it so much. "
I don't know what's wrong with this system! I gave it a 5 out of 5
Posted by Sobe Cin
@Babs:
I think I have to apologize, it does show 5 stars out of 5. What I guess I saw was the 0 out of ten regarding the average user up top.

However I did really enjoy the book, as well as where the story has progressed with X-Men 1-6.
Posted by EnSabahNurX

O_O only 4 issues, I think I'll pick this up, squeeze it into my budget

Posted by Dirty__1

Well since I'm stuck in small town USA with no real local comic shop mine is on the way! I'm a HUGE Jubes fan so I'm very interested to see where this goes. I'm just hoping it brings her back into the X-Men fold somehow.
Posted by FoxxFireArt

Having Jubilee being a vampire is an interesting twist given she's been depowered. I just think it will lose it's punch and feel feel gimmicky if it all gets reversed.

Would someone please just get rid of that god awful yellow raincoat they are determined to keep her in. That mallrat look may of been popular when when she was first introduced back in the late 80s, but it doesn't age well.

Posted by Skaddix

I am pissed no Husk or any refrence to GenX instead we got pixie which granted was set up earlier, armor randomly instead of Surge (do the girls from japan just hate jubes), and that joke rockslide, honestly horrid casting for a male crush. Besides that the story was good, nice to see a competent vampire for once after that arc.

Posted by Unwritten Duck
@Babs: I noticed this is a limited series, but do you have to read X-Men: Curse of the Mutants to really know what's going on? I didn't really like the series and I dropped it about four issues in.
Posted by mesosteros
@Unwritten Duck: You should check The Curse of The Mutants arc page. I think I did a pretty good job summarizing it. Haven't read this yet but will definately pick it up in the weekend. I liked the new vamp-Jubilee.
Posted by ClawFist
@Unwritten Duck:
 Nah you really don't have to read Curse of the Vampires, though Jubes was turned into a vampire during her role in the actual arc wasn't what I would say large. Also the comic itself updates you on what's happened specifically to Jubilee the very first page so you can just pick up Wolverine and Jubilee and know what's going on.

I have to admit I am not a big vampire fan, especially when they started showing up in every form of media and I'm defintely not a fan of what's happened to Jubilee, but I gotta say, this issue was done extremely well. Not a single part feels gimmicky or less then spectaculiar. I knew this was going to either be a hit or miss kind of subject, either it was going to be done well or it was going to drop the ball. I haven't seen Wolvie and Jubilee together in a long time and I've missed it, this issue does everything right, just the way it should be. This first issue is winning this Vampire Jubilee over for me effortlessly.
Posted by Kamitosis

I really loved it and have to say it was most certainly one of the best comics I've read in ages. I love Jubilee and it's great to see her back. I will admit, I am a fan of vampires, but not of how they've been treated lately, how they've been de-fanged. This story had bite and it was a really fun read. Left me wanting to pick up the next issue PRONTO!

Posted by TypingKira

Wait, Jubes is 17? Yay, I can relate!