johnkmccubbin91's Wolverine #5 - Drowning Logan Part One of Two review

Wolverine Against S.H.I.E.L.D.

This has been a series that has really interested me, and although it's had a few hiccups, it has still managed to hold my interest. I do however hope that it picks up soon though, as I've read too many poor Wolverine stories over the last couple of years, and after the promise of the first two issues, it'd be a shame if this one didn't deliver.

Plot

After going onto S.H.I.E.L.D.'s new Helicarrier, the Hercules he realises that something isn't right, and lands up faced against the entire crew.

Review

This issue was an improvement over the last couple of issues, and although the series isn't quite at the level it was during the first two issues, it's slowly getting there. Paul Cornell has done a good job of taking this story to the next level, though it did have a little too much set-up, which dropped the overall quality of the issue. I did however like how Cornell handled the situation that Wolverine was put in, as although this issue didn't have a great deal of excitement, it had some, and was still dramatic. Cornell also handled the possessed Nick Fury Jr. perfectly, as although he seemed a bit weird, that what he should be like, and it was shown brilliantly.

The art from Mirco Pierfederici was good, and although it was nowhere near the same level of quality as Alan Davis, it was still brilliant. I really liked the roughness of Pierfederici's artwork, as although usually wouldn't like this amount of roughness, it works in this issue. The detail in Pierfederici's art was also good, as was the layout, which added depth to the issue, as well as more drama. I also loved how Pierfederici handled the action, as although there wasn't a great deal off it, what there was looked amazing. Pierfederici also did a decent job at showing the characters expressions, as although there were times where they looked a little stiff, and motionless, the rest was very well done.

This issue started with the narration talking about samurai movies, and how they're not like real life. Now although this is an interesting way of starting the issue, especially due to it starting with action, as well as soon flashing back, but at the same time I felt it a bit unnecessary. Now I know that you could also add that Wolverine has had a lot of history with samurai's, and that it's fitting, but it still felt slightly cliché. I did however like the new Helicarrier that was introduced, named after Hercules, which although again not really necessary to the story, still a nice touch, especially due to the reasoning behind the name.

Wolverine against S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't a new concept, and in fact there was a brilliant story out a few years ago called Enemy Of The State which had that as one of it's main concepts. This however is probably the first time where Wolverine's in the right, as usually Wolverine's the one possessed, with S.H.I.E.L.D. having to take him out. I did like this in this issue, though I did feel that it could have been handled better, as although it was good, it could easily have been brilliant. At the same time I also liked how Wolverine was slightly reluctant to fight the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, trying to take them out with as little damage to them as possible.

Wolverine wasn't alone though, as he'd find a group of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents sectioned off from the rest, resulting in them not being possessed, with Wolverine making sure things stay that way. Now it was nice to see Wolverine get some help, as although he could easily go through the entire S.H.I.E.L.D. brigade, it'd be hard to do that in a way where he doesn't kill everyone (even though that's not a bad thing). I was however not entirely sure whether I liked the interaction between Wolverine, and these agents, as although it was interesting at times, it felt a bit awkward other times.

Final Verdict

This was a step up from the last couple of issues, but still far from the level that the series should be at by now. I did however still enjoy the issue, and there was some very interesting parts about it, leaving with a fabulous cliffhanger. It also had some interesting action, all be it not much, as well as adding more mystery, whilst continuing to be dramatic. It also continues the story that has been building from issue 1, whilst also being a great start to a new story, and I look forward to seeing how it's developed. I would recommend caution when thinking about buying this, as unless you're already collecting the series I'd be wary, as although it'll appeal to some, it may not appeal to you.

Rating: 3/5

Posted by Raw_Material
Ever wondered how you kill the Wolverine?

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@raw_material: This is the easiest way to do so (and most realistic), hence how Daken died like this. Also that was a great comic.

Posted by lykopis

I find this to be annoying, actually. While lots of people have come up with ways to "kill" Wolverine over the years -- the drowning option could still be argued as difficult since this is a character who has been brought to his chassis (so-to-speak) and came back to life. Perhaps if you were to keep him chained to an anchor, it would keep him "dead" but somehow, someway, based on previous story-lines, he can heal himself back into health. This is why I have a hard time with the decision of having Daken "die" similarly.

Anyhoo -- it's a tiny gripe I guess since characters belong to the writers who are under their control. For me, I feel comfortable with Xavier's protocol in incapacitating Logan which is by way of decapitation. For the sake of this story (and it's effects across the Marvel Universe), I will grit my teeth and move on and like other times, wait for the next writer to come up with their own take of what a healing factor means.

Great review. :)

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@lykopis: Fair point, though I would imagine that the water would eventually make him brain dead, and once that happens what would power his healing factor, as I'm sure it will need something to make it work like anything else. I did however find this storyline to be slightly poor overall though. Thanks again for the compliment, I just find it hard to be so cruel to a Wolverine story, but have to to be fair. Another reason I feel I've been more fair with Cornell's run so far is that the previous few stories were poor.