Todd McFarlane's Twisted Land Of Oz: The Movie?

Posted by G-Man (32413 posts) - - Show Bio
Dorothy???
There has been talk of Warner Bros. wanting to do a "dark" version of The Wizard Of Oz (simply called "Oz").  Last week there has been mention that Warners might be looking at Todd McFarlane's "Twisted Land Of Oz" line of action figures as the inspiration for the movie.  The movie will be produced by McFarlane and Basil Iwanyk.

Empire Online recently spoke with McFarlane to try to clear up some of the reports.  There's no confirmation that the movie will actually begin production next year.  The script is on its second draft (apparently the first wasn't "sexy" enough).  The first draft had the story centered around Dorothy's granddaughter.  McFarlane's not sure if that element will remain.  Reports have stated that the movie will film in Britain but McFarlane said it really depends on the budget and how much confidence the studio has in the project.  McFarlane hadn't heard the rumors of Dakota Fanning as Dorothy.  Looking at her action figure to the left, that doesn't look like a good fit.  McFarlane said he'd be happy with "whoever will get the most people in the seats."  Will it be as "twisted" as his line of figures?  McFarlane thinks his line might be "a little scary for Warners to embrace." 

Check out the other figures from McFarlane's Monster Series 2: Twisted Land Of Oz (click to enlarge):
( Lion, Scarecrow, Tin Woodsman, Toto, and the Wizard (with Scientist)).
I think a dark version would be pretty cool.  I can't say I'm crazy about the 'bondage' version of Dorothy though.  Would making a darker version work or would it be wrong?  The Wizard Of Oz is pretty much known for its sugary wholesomeness.  It has some dark elements but nothing quite like this.  How edgy do you think Warner Bros. will be willing to make this?  I think we can safely assume it wouldn't be R-rated. 
Staff
#1 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure why not, I'm for seeeing the Cowardly lion mauling some demonic munchkins
#2 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

Woww, this looks creepy.
It will probably be like Hellraiser or something, lol.

#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
This is the only Oz I'm looking forward to! :D
#4 Posted by G-Man (32413 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" This is the only Oz I'm looking forward to! :D "
I loved loved loved that series.  I bought the single issues but will definitely be getting the hardcover as well.
Staff
#5 Edited by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
that would make an amazing movie if they could make it look exactly like Skottie Young's art
#6 Posted by danhimself (22492 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
those were great!! I can't wait for the new series to start
#7 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be quite good but I imagine plenty of people would be upset it isn't the Wizard of Oz story they all know and love.  
I really like the different versions of Wizard of Oz myself for some reason, as the original actually already had some twisted and scary stuff in it (flying monkeys anyone?).   Just don't know how receptive audiences would be to it.   
#8 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27112 posts) - - Show Bio

Return to Oz was a wonderful dark adaption of these great books, i would love to see Todds version.. though im hoping it will be more ala nightmare before christmas

#9 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

...Well,it'd be a definite R movie.

#10 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @xerox-kitty said:
" This is the only Oz I'm looking forward to! :D "
I loved loved loved that series.  I bought the single issues but will definitely be getting the hardcover as well. "
I was gutted I'd missed the first 3 issues.  By the time I'd discovered it, they were demanding extortionate prices for the back issues.  So I'll be content with the collected edition (at pre-order prices :) 

@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" @xerox-kitty: that would make an amazing movie if they could make it look exactly like Skottie Young's art "
I have no words... for how amazing... that would be! 

@danhimself said:
" @xerox-kitty: those were great!! I can't wait for the new series to start "
That's why I want the collected edition.  To catch up on what I've missed :)
#11 Posted by ZORN (1605 posts) - - Show Bio
I like them boots yo.
#12 Posted by danhimself (22492 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
the way it looks I don't think that the new series will have much to do with the last one...it looks like it'll have all new characters...I'm not sure though I never read the actual books
#13 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27112 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: If you adore that series you should go work on the Dorothy page... its got like no info lol ;-P but the series does look great
#14 Posted by The Psyentist (16793 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like it could be cool.

#15 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

so theres gonna be a movie?

are these figures based on the twisted fairy tales comicbook series

#16 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @xerox-kitty: the way it looks I don't think that the new series will have much to do with the last one...it looks like it'll have all new characters...I'm not sure though I never read the actual books "
I recognise some of the characters from the Return to Oz (the movie everyone hated, except me) but I never found any of the actual novels :( 

@.Mistress Redhead. said:
" @xerox-kitty: If you adore that series you should go work on the Dorothy page... its got like no info lol ;-P but the series does look great "
I have it on pre-order, so I'll do my best once I've had chance to read it... we have a case of a Dorothy Gayle at work, but not THE Dorothy Gale ;)
#17 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27112 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: I LOVED RETURN TO OZ!!! it scared me as a kid but i love it now!!
#18 Posted by marcelo2169 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Grimm Fairy Tales!

#19 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:

I loved Return to OZ !!
#20 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
" @xerox-kitty: I LOVED RETURN TO OZ!!! it scared me as a kid but i love it now!! "
You're living in the back of my skill where the brain should be... aren't you...? ;) 

@Green ankh said:
" @xerox-kitty: I loved Return to OZ !! "
Glad to know I'm not the only one!  It was dark, in that way nursery rhymes & Grimm fairy tales used to be!
#21 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84678 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel sorry for Dorothy. But those are great interpretations of a classic story.

#22 Posted by danhimself (22492 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
was the Return to Oz the one with the clock guy? that was way more scary than the Wizard of Oz?
#23 Posted by Ravn (180 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I think the McFarlene toys might be a little too dark for a decent movie (unless he's going for the "campy-80s-monster-horror-movie" feel), but I definitely think a darker version should be made!

#24 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

Todd this is embarrassing, dude.

#25 Posted by JillPantozzi (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I love those figures. I'm all for this.

#26 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27112 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: im that scary little tin man who talks to you but you have to wind me up for me to work ;-P
#27 Posted by The Human Stain (83 posts) - - Show Bio
@ZORN said:
" I like them boots yo. "
Boots? Oh yeah, I guess she is wearing boots. I missed those somehow.
#28 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

make it more macfarlane stuff the better as far as i go hes awesome , even if the film is half as good as the source material will still be kick ass

#29 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope they stick with these designs. Since it was the whole reason why I bought these. Cause I loved McFarlane's interpretations of the characters of Oz. I loved that dark gritty twisted style to it. I know I would certainly see this movie.
#30 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
" @xerox-kitty: im that scary little tin man who talks to you but you have to wind me up for me to work ;-P "
I always thought you'd be far cuter than Tick Tock ;)  I used to think he looked like Hercule Poirot, but now he looks like the manga version of Colossus :p
#31 Posted by dc-kid21 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

sooo fricken cool

#32 Posted by NightFang (9981 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds good to me.

#33 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

I would assume it would be R

#34 Posted by Neero_Daemonhart (183 posts) - - Show Bio

i would pay to see that movie. dakota fanning? not so much. what about that chick that played bellatrix lestrange in the harry potter movies though???

#35 Posted by MoonKnightFan123 (271 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellraiser! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#36 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Neero_Daemonhart said:
"i would pay to see that movie. dakota fanning? not so much. what about that chick that played bellatrix lestrange in the harry potter movies though??? "

Helena Bonham-Carter aka Mrs Tim Burton ;)
#37 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

I...actually am starting to like the figures, especially the Lion with guts in his hands

#38 Posted by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

I would SO pay to see this movie. Just like I'm waiting to see if American Mcgee's Alice!
#39 Posted by King Saturn (224026 posts) - - Show Bio
Based on these Images and Designs this Film could be Really Cool... but McFarlane had to smoking on that Doofy Dust when he came up with this... This Sh!t Is Sick...
#40 Posted by Comicjew (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Todd McFarlane's Twisted Land Of Oz-Based Movie? Bad idea...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.