Follow

Witchblade

Character » Witchblade appears in 687 issues.

The Witchblade is the offspring of the primal forces of the universe, The Darkness and The Angelus. It usually takes the form of a complex metal gauntlet. Since it is male in nature, it seeks out female hosts. The Witchblade is semi-organic and reacts supernaturally to threats. It is able to grant its host a variety of weapons and can also heal the wearer.

witchblade: is it any good?

Zniperking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Zniperking

I was thinking about if it for awhile I have a few issues of witchblade and I was wondering if what would be a good starting point to read it from

Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Darkseid Elite

yup witchblade is very good.  i started off reading this one 

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RedK

personally i never got into it, but the art is amazing

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NexusOfLight

I started off with the anime and then the manga and then the comic. The anime was decent. A nice story about a mother and her child. The manga was kinda weird. You had your standard Japanese demon thing, all the general seinen fan service things (I found that to be the weirdest) and the comics that started it all are great. Cop finds ancient artifact. Grants her power. So she's pulled into the world of the paranormal. Good stuff. Personally, I feel the comics blow both the manga and the anime out of the water, but you can decide for yourself. 

The comic is indeed an ongoing, currently at 136 issues. All of them can be collected in trade paperbacks. If you want everything, I say the best thing to do is buy the Witchblade Compendium Volume 1 and Volume 2. That should cover the first 100 issues I think, and from there, if you decide to continue reading, buy the trades starting from volume 4 all the way up to volume 8. Once you get caught up with everything, you could either wait a bit for more trades to come out, or start buying the issues as they come out. Either way is fine, it just depends on how much money you're willing to spend and how well you can wait.

Avatar image for jason_todd_red_hood1_900
    Jason Todd_Red Hood1-900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll read when Ron marz leaves I don't Like Patrick Gleason I loved Jake MCcarthy
    Avatar image for invincible_alex
    invincible Alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By invincible Alex

best to start at number 100. the story get very good from the end of the issues
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Primmaster64

Well it has a hot half naked chick as a protagonist so...

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

I love Witchblade I love the Comics, I Love the american cartoon, I love the manga, I love the anime, I love the figures and statues I just love Witchblade, 

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

I saw the series on IFC, in HD, and if you saw it you would love it.

Jason Todd_Red Hood1-900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't read it lol
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Witchblade my favorite american comic line by far and the Top Cow universe is one of the most well written American comic verses ever made.

Everything about that comic is very good.

@Jason Todd_Red Hood1-900 said:

" I loved Jake MCcarthy "

Which only made his death all the more tragic and meaningful. In the Top Cow universe people die, being popular doesn't give you a survival license.
    Jason Todd_Red Hood1-900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Crom-Cruach:
    Well i hope that applies to Patrick Gleason as well becasue i think I remember him wsrestling with a  10 foot demon in witchblade 100 and being popular has helped jackie estacado return from the dead
    shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By shawn87

i was interested in reading that myself...haven't gotten around to it yet. My list of comics to get is huge

gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gunjin

ron marz' run is excellent. i just finished reading it. what may throw you off, is that he moves very quickly and there isn't a lot of decompression. marz is all about the story progressing, but still finds time for some character development. as an author, he took a leap forward with the character, when he decided that the half-naked thing was stupid, and that it worked better as a sci-fi cop book. the art is great, especially stepjic. seeing choi's progression is cool too, from almost fan-artish work to the calibre he did on x-force.
    Zniperking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zniperking
    @shawn87: same here dude, same here
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    " @Crom-Cruach: Well i hope that applies to Patrick Gleason as well becasue i think I remember him wsrestling with a  10 foot demon in witchblade 100 and being popular has helped jackie estacado return from the dead "
    He was always planned to return as he was never technically dead otherwise his soul would have drawn into the realm of the Darkness and a new wielder would have been chose. And Gleason is fine as a character, if he dies it should be a in a well written manner, otherwise there's no reason for him to die.
    Jason Todd_Red Hood1-900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Danielle Baptiste died she came back and Jackie estacado did die despite the writers plan to bring him back he still died first  Jackie estacado blew himself up and ended up in hell .I hate gleason cause i hte ron marz because he has a habit of replacing characters with his own that the only reason why he killed of Jake to bring in his own creation
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    " Danielle Baptiste died she came back "
    she was just dying, at wich point the Angelus took over came and healed her, passing on to her. then Danielle used the power of the Angelus to purify Sarah's soulé

"I hate gleason cause i hte ron marz because he has a habit of replacing characters with his own that the only reason why he killed of Jake to bring in his own creation "
    Jake's death made perfect sense it it fit well with what was happening, his life was going downhill, his relationships were going to hell. It's a good story with a tragic ending. As to Ron Marz replacing characters with his own. Bull, he was given creative control and so he introduced a new character over several issues. Which made perfect sense and Witchblade is better written then it's ever been. Before Marz, Witchblade was a good series. But Marz made it an awesome series.

There is really no reason to hate Marz. He took a good series with potential and made it better.
    Jason Todd_Red Hood1-900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Crom-Cruach:
    Whatever man both charaters have died and came back  they bring  back charcters just like any other company they just don't do it as much  And just because you have creative control dosen't mean he dosen't have a habit of replacing characters I have no doubt he had creative control he's probally the only good writer Top Cow  has and as far as replacing goes he did it with Green Lantern he even did to Sara for a preoid of time and he did it to Jake Mccarthy so thats not bull and you cannot tell how good my reason is for not likeing somebody just like I can't tell you you have a bad reason to like him so with that said I'M going to end this debate before it gets out of hand so have a good night and God Bless
    BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

Witchblade is one of my favorite series . YOU HAVE TO LOVE IT !!!! I mean the art is amazing , the characters are badass ,the story is great and when I read it ,I`m thinking I watch a Tv series . It is just AWESOME !  Best to start reading witchblade is when ron marz started to wright the series .

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @BoOMbOoMpOw said:
    " Witchblade is one of my favorite series . YOU HAVE TO LOVE IT !!!! I mean the art is amazing , the characters are badass ,the story is great and when I read it ,I`m thinking I watch a Tv series . It is just AWESOME !  Best to start reading witchblade is when ron marz started to wright the series . "
    Nah start at issue 1 they are easy to track down and worth it plus it really sets up the Marz run that came after.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By daredevil21134

lol
    Call me Ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Call me Ghost

First off and for most, Yes it is a great comic with quality and great stories you wont ever find at Marvel or Dc. not saying that the big 2 is bad im just saying the Top Cow universe is unique and this comic ( Witchblade) is in the Center of the Center of the Top Cow universe. The best starting point is preferably  #116 ~ # 130 for new comers, but truth be told Top Cow is one of those companies always trying to attract new comers so when they they make an issue of any number they make very clear what going on as soon as you open the comic. it wouldnt be bad to start from a chapter/event of the series called " first born". First born is like how do i put it ?.... uhm the gathering off all the main Top Cow characters ! So yeah... that being said you you can pretty much pick up from anywhere HOWEVER i prefer you start from 116 or First born. Have fun man, this comic will change your perspective on what a Good comic is.

BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

Sorry but I have to say it again ^^ READ WITCHBLADE !!!! Not only Witchblade but also the Angelus mini , First Born , Broken Trinity , Magdalena and don`t even think about not reading Artifacts !!!! Top Cow is just AWESOME !!!

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@BoOMbOoMpOw: Artifacts is meh. I did love Angelus and I think Witchblade is going to be good with this Tiamat story.

BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw
    @jloneblackheart: You don`t like artifacts ? O.o I love it ! Michael Broussards art is amazing and the wrighting is just great :D In my opinion at least.
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@BoOMbOoMpOw: It's mostly been Whilce Portacio, whose art I happen to find disgusting. Combine that with I'm only recently trying to get into Top Cow and basically, I'm not interested in any of the characters in the book. Nothing seems impending, important or worth my money. I'm dropping it after last months issue, but I'll still read Witchblade (at least until 150!)

BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw
    @jloneblackheart:  Is it right that Ron Marz leaves aftern issue 150 ? If yes, that sucks :( 
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@BoOMbOoMpOw: Sad but true

BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw
    @jloneblackheart: -_-
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Artifacts was O.K if not delivering of what it should have. Witchblade hasn't disappointed me so far, I'll keep buying

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32  Edited By x_29

After reading a couple of issues that have been coming out, not really.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.