Follow

Witchblade

Character » Witchblade appears in 689 issues.

The Witchblade is the offspring of the primal forces of the universe, The Darkness and The Angelus. It usually takes the form of a complex metal gauntlet. Since it is male in nature, it seeks out female hosts. The Witchblade is semi-organic and reacts supernaturally to threats. It is able to grant its host a variety of weapons and can also heal the wearer.

Favorite and most hated story arc?

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Simple question for those who follow witchblade. What is your favorite story and most hated story arc so far? For me,

Favorite: Tough one but I think I'd say War of the Witchblades. Story was good and serves well as a stand alone story, great art and a good build up. Pity that they don't seem to have any plans for all the stuff they created in that arc

Hated: Hated is a strong word as I don't really hate any story arc in Witchblade. But my least liked is definitively the Blood Pool arc. So much wasted potential, they killed one of my favorite villains in a way completely unworthy of him, after a fan vote. Story itself was all jumbled and struturally unsound.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@crom_cruach: Favorite? I agree, War of the Witchblades was awesome, and has some of the best Witchblade storytelling to date.

Hated? Well, like you, I don't really hate anything from Witchblade, and I cannot pin it down to one specific arc, but a good chunk of stories and arcs probably pre-issue 80 just feel disjointed and not generally well connected with many things forgotten and left unfinished or untouched and ignored for far too long. There was a lot that bugged me in the early Witchblade.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong said:

Hated? Well, like you, I don't really hate anything from Witchblade, and I cannot pin it down to one specific arc, but a good chunk of stories and arcs probably pre-issue 80 just feel disjointed and not generally well connected with many things forgotten and left unfinished or untouched and ignored for far too long. There was a lot that bugged me in the early Witchblade.

Yeah well, it's not secret that before Ron Marz came along to overhaul the whole Top Cow universe all of the main series were a mess. Many of them were sub-par but the reason I name the Blood Pool arc is how that along with something they were obviously building up for a long time. It never really built up to how awesome it could have been and they killed off Kenneth Irons in a matter completely unworthy of him.

Kondorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 13

I am right now about to read Death Pool (I am re-reading the Top Cow Universe right now, last time I stopped at issue 100, cause I was hoping for Compendium 3), anyway... I hope the best is still in front of me...
    I actually like most of Witchblade, including cross-overs, spin-offs, or tales... but there are some very bad things in the mix...abominations I would even say.

• I liked the origins arc all the way through to Irons wife and the end of the microwave killer...
    • Love the Darkness/Witchblade crossovers

• My least favorite arc would be Endgame
    • I am also increasingly frustrated with Sara's father and the confusion behind his death. I hope Ron did not pick up this thread in his run...
    • The Marvel Vs. Top Cow Crossover was also quite bad...
    • I also mourn the lost oppurtunities with level 42... they come, they go... but it is all more confusing than the conspiracy arcs from the X-Files TV-Show, especially the later ones...
    • The whole Gavin Taylor was pure time waisting... he got build up as this follow up to Irons, but then they brought Irons back and dropped Gavin... not that I miss him... it just was all pointless...

All in all, the Witchblade (at least issues 1 - 80) works better as a monster of the month book, than with an overarching conspiracy arc in the background. I cannot wait till I get to the Ron Marz run...

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The early arcs are a mess, and you really see the worst of Witchblade up until Ron Marz jumps in around issue 75. So brace yourself. That said, personally I think Kenneth Irons was completely underused in many ways and missused in others.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@crom_cruach: Heh, funny that you dislike the Death Pool arc so strongly because I'd probably call that my favorite. I love the character development for everyone involved, I love the art, and I love that for pretty much the first time Witchblade felt truly epic. It was a nice culmination of everything David Wohl had done for the character over the course of his two runs.

I think the pre-Marz stuff has a worse reputation than it deserves. People act like Witchblade was nothing but Sara running around in a metal bikini before Marz took over, but that's really not the case. The level of T&A in the series gets exaggerated (the signature "metal bikini" costume appears on a lot of covers, but barely ever appears within the book itself. Usually when it does appear, its because a fill-in artist is drawing what they think Sara looks like based on the covers rather than how she normally looks), and David Wohl and Paul Jenkins told some absolutely fantastic stories that would easily rank as some of the best in the series. I'm not saying every story before #80 is gold, but there's a lot of good stuff that critics and even Top Cow themselves tend to unjustly brush aside. However there was still some undeniable garbage:

For instance, during the period where David Wohl was writing less and Christina Z became the lead writer OH BOY the series took a nosedive. That period from #26-39 is without a doubt where Witchblade's bad reputation comes from. It just got more and more nonsensical, trashy, and basically unreadable. So many subplots going on at once, and none of them made sense, and none of them went anywhere. If I had to single out one story from that run as the worst, I'd have to go with the two-parter where all the subplots suddenly get dropped and Sara joins a random ninja academy and fights demons. Just pure nonsense.

Other lowlights include #66 and #67, two filler stories written by Chuck Austen and Geoff Johns, respectively. They're violent T&A fests with shallow plots that are trying really hard to be shocking. Top Cow had the idea to attract attention to the series by getting popular writers to give their take on Sara, but the problem was they clearly had never read a Witchblade story in their lives and were just writing what they assumed the series should be like. Hell, Austen did so little research that he didn't even bother to check who Sara's partner was, and just invented a random new guy. These two issues are basically the embodiment of the public perception of the series. "Sara is a 'bad gurl' cop who gets into gross/violent situations and her clothes get torn open".

The filler stuff they ran in between Wohl's last run and Marz's first issue was pretty bad too. #76-79. First was a two-parter introducing Celestine, a character who made absolutely no sense (bless Ron Marz for rescuing her and making her into a decent character a couple years later), and the next two-parter was really a Tom Judge story that had no business being published in Witchblade. And those Tony Daniel covers? Embarrassing!

And that's about it. While Marz and Seeley wrote some weak stuff too, it never got as bad as the stuff I just listed ever again. (Though the recent two-parter where Jackie died might be weak enough to deserve a spot on this list too... and again, it was written by a fill-in team)

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lagozzino: Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have kept reading the series if there wasn't enough good stuff. But before Ron Marz came along it was a mess, the arcs you pointed out are good examples. That said the Ron Marz era isn't perfect either. Nor was Seely's run.

One of the recurring problems Witchblade has is they never explore a lot of the great stuff they introduce to their full potential. I actually have another thread in this forum pointing this out after a disappointing conclusion to one of the latest arcs.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.