twofacedjoker's Winter Soldier: The Longest Winter #1 - Volume 1 review

Absurd, Albeit Entertaining

After watching the fantastic Winter Soldier film, I decided to take it upon myself to read up on the character in the comics. However, much like his mentor, Winter Soldier isn't a character you read for him as a person, but rather for the adventures and adversaries he faces, as this book showed me.

If you're a stickler for character development, this is not necessarily the book for you. Yet, despite that flaw, I still found some overall enjoyment in the story. What really made this story is Doctor Doom's involvement. I won't spoil what that is here, but it's well worth the price of admission, and what drove the narrative for me. I had never been a fan of the character up until this point, primarily because I'm not interested in most of the Fantastic Four comics these days, but this story sold him to me in a big way.

However, this works off of what we already know about this character. Not only that, but our main characters are pretty bland. Even Black Widow comes across as more or less another spy rather than the stand-out person she is. Also, the story takes a turn for the absolutely ridiculous, particularly at the end of the first issue. It can become really trying and difficult to take this very serious espionage story seriously when gorillas are running around with machine guns, among other things.

This is a rather odd series, and this results in the series feeling pretty mixed. If you don't care much for the Winter Soldier's personality and are here for the adventure, go for it. Otherwise, you might want to consider reading something else.