Follow

Willow

Character » Willow appears in 346 issues.

As a teenager, Willow met the Slayer, and became a close friend and fellow adventurer. Later, she became one of the most powerful witches on Earth, nearly destroying it before snapping back to sanity.

Do You Think Joss Always Intended for Her to be a Lesbian?

Avatar image for morgaine_levesque
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Morgaine_Levesque

I finally got Netflix and after going through and watching Dollhouse and The Tudors, I decided upon Buffy. I started watching from the very first episode and I kind of started noticing some foreshadowing. Just tongue in cheek jokes like "if she's a lesbian she's doing a damn good job of hiding it" and things of that nature. Throughout the course of the show, she had two pretty long-term relationships with men (Xander and Oz, respectively), but that doesn't necessarily mean that Joss didn't always intend for her to be a lesbian. On top of that, Joss doesn't strike me as the type not to have something entirely pre-planned or to just suddenly say "hey, let's make Willow a lesbian".

So, in your opinion, do you think he did?

Avatar image for evanescencefan91
    evanescencefan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By evanescencefan91

Personally I don't, maybe just because of how serious her relationships with Oz and Xander were, I mean those seemed like too committed and convincing beards. The only foreshadowing that I could pick out was at the end of the 3rd season with the 2nd appearance of vamp willow, but with the first appearance of vamp willow she was really into xander and had no hints of gayness that I could tell. So I think it was only sometime in the middle of the 3rd season they decided on that she could have much easier been bi.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

@evanescencefan91 said:

The only foreshadowing that I could pick out was at the end of the 3rd season with the 2nd appearance of vamp willow

That's all I remember too. I got the feeling it was an off-hand joke that lead to a change in character. I don't think he had that twist planned for Willow when he started the series at episode one, season one.

JokerFanHAhaHA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By JokerFanHAhaHA

Actually no, when he got the idea to make a character gay, the FIRST character he toyed around with the idea about was actually XANDER, but in the end decided on Willow.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.