Wildstorm imprint ending!

• 86 results
#51 Posted by Fortanono (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

:(
@DEGRAAF said:

"

ok this is probably a big annoyance but can anyone name of who all these characters are? the only one i know of is Mr. Majestic. What got me curious is that these all look like a good set of new characters to be moved in to the DC universe. Im particularly interested in who the big green and purple guy is in the top back (reminds me of thanos) "
One Of Them Is Voodoo, Another Is Apollo, & Another Is Midnighter.
#52 Posted by Fortanono (4889 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085 said:
"     "
LOL.
#53 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085 said:
"     "
LMFAO
#54 Posted by Mediant (329 posts) - - Show Bio

And I was just starting to like Wildstorm a lot. *sigh*

#55 Posted by grifter78 (229 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF:
#56 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:

" holy f@#k, I knew this was coming...what does this mean for Vertigo in the future?  in one year DC has gone from the best company in the business to a steamy pile, great job! "

Vertigo is fine, they sell a hell of a lot more than what WS does. 

Also, have you read anything Marvel? Aside from their Cosmic Universe and ASM, the whole company is putting out stuff that seems like it was written by a mentally challenged infant.

This is very disappointing though.
#57 Edited by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

"Unknown" is maybe Hellstrike another member of Stormwatch...

Granted, he's had a number of costume changes... 

#58 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Horrible decision. :\

#59 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

thats sucks the biggest bag possible.
oh well, never any room nor budget for quality, right?

@LT1085 said:

"     "

DC Comics = A German Chocolate Ring?
Yummy!
#60 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
" Horrible decision. :\ "
Only if they say they're shelving all the characters forever which is not what they've said.  They clearly intend to use the IP they just haven't said exactly how and given the poor sales it makes sense to rebrand or shake things up. 

Put it this way, if you're already a fan, if the exact same stories, creators, editors, and universe comes out under the DC imprint versus Wildstorm, you're not going to be confused one iota.  New (crossover fans from say Marvel) readers who wouldn't read something from Yakko Comics (which is just about as much as what "Wildstorm" means to them as a brand) but will check out something with cool art or a reputable DC writer under the DC brand will pick up the title.  And Wildstorm properties may even see more investment in terms of marketing or development when folded into DC rather than seen as a separate money pit entity.  When they allocate advertising it be for DC books (which will include Wildstorm properties) as opposed to DC... plus this thing that keeps losing us money.  Finally, reasonable minds can differ, but some of the character concepts if folded into the fiction of the DCU proper may gain popularity and legitimacy that they haven't seen in ages (Majestic, for example, saw a huge boost when he crossed over with Superman... playing off each other helped develop both characters and made fans check into his back catalog of works). 

Concisely, rebranding is not a big deal and at least a rational decision if not a certainly good one.
#61 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mainline said:
" @iLLituracy said:
Only if they say they're shelving all the characters forever which is not what they've said.  They clearly intend to use the IP they just haven't said exactly how and given the poor sales it makes sense to rebrand or shake things up. 

Put it this way, if you're already a fan, if the exact same stories, creators, editors, and universe comes out under the DC imprint versus Wildstorm, you're not going to be confused one iota.  New (crossover fans from say Marvel) readers who wouldn't read something from Yakko Comics (which is just about as much as what "Wildstorm" means to them as a brand) but will check out something with cool art or a reputable DC writer under the DC brand will pick up the title.  And Wildstorm properties may even see more investment in terms of marketing or development when folded into DC rather than seen as a separate money pit entity.  When they allocate advertising it be for DC books (which will include Wildstorm properties) as opposed to DC... plus this thing that keeps losing us money.  Finally, reasonable minds can differ, but some of the character concepts if folded into the fiction of the DCU proper may gain popularity and legitimacy that they haven't seen in ages (Majestic, for example, saw a huge boost when he crossed over with Superman... playing off each other helped develop both characters and made fans check into his back catalog of works).  Concisely, rebranding is not a big deal and at least a rational decision if not a certainly good one. "
I think it'll be like Marvel's Cosmic U. They barely exist within the same continuity as the Earthbound heroes, they just show up now and then.
#62 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said: 
I think it'll be like Marvel's Cosmic U. They barely exist within the same continuity as the Earthbound heroes, they just show up now and then. "
For the characters that fold in or crossover, I think that's a solid analogy and- quite frankly- exactly what's been happening ever since Wildstorm was acquired.  There's always been cameos and cross overs here and there.  A lot of Wildstorm concepts are really well developed and compelling (like The Bleed or The Authority) and not only have already made DCU appearances but will continue to do so whether or not the imprint is shifted over to DC or not.
#63 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" holy f@#k, I knew this was coming...what does this mean for Vertigo in the future?  in one year DC has gone from the best company in the business to a steamy pile, great job! "
After Worldstorm failed and the whole"Earthwide Apocalypse" debacle , not to mention mismanagement  in general it's really not surprising
#64 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @aztek the lost said:

Vertigo is fine, they sell a hell of a lot more than what WS does.   Also, have you read anything Marvel? Aside from their Cosmic Universe and ASM, the whole company is putting out stuff that seems like it was written by a mentally challenged infant.  This is very disappointing though. "
hahaha, I agree entirely with the Marvel thing but my disparaging comments about the publisher rub a lot of people the wrong way considering this site is mostly Marvel 

but seriously though, DC has cancelled four Vertigo titles this fall including one that was selling great that they just wanted to absorb into the DCU...I suspect Vertigo will remain but they now emphasize the creator-owned aspect and there are still two of my favorite titles at Vertigo owned by DC (Hellblazer and House of Mystery) and if they get cancelled because of this... *expletives deleted*
#65 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

#66 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg:  Funny story, the script called for me to say "yes" but I gave it a little twist 

I know, I know, this isn't a time for humor but that's my favorite Calculon moment!
#67 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't see how folding the characters into the main DC universe would be a good thing at all...sure some of them might see and increase in popularity but a majority of them will simply disappear....the Wildstorm books focused on a relatively small cast and a lot of them will get lost in the hundreds of thousands of characters in the regular DC universe....no merging the 2 universes is a very bad idea

#68 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" I really don't see how folding the characters into the main DC universe would be a good thing at all...sure some of them might see and increase in popularity but a majority of them will simply disappear....the Wildstorm books focused on a relatively small cast and a lot of them will get lost in the hundreds of thousands of characters in the regular DC universe....no merging the 2 universes is a very bad idea "
I think DC fails to realize the people who read their imprint books usually couldn't care less about the DCU and I don't think they'll be drawing anyone to their main titles
#69 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" I know, I know, this isn't a time for humor but that's my favorite Calculon moment! "
I need all the levity I can attain... this is such sad news. I'm afraid Buckshot might break down when he hears about this.
#70 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @aztek the lost said:
" I know, I know, this isn't a time for humor but that's my favorite Calculon moment! "
I need all the levity I can attain... this is such sad news. I'm afraid Buckshot might break down when he hears about this. "
oh god I forgot about Buckshot...I wonder if he's heard and if he has I wonder how he's taking it
#71 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mainline said:
" @iLLituracy said:

Put it this way, if you're already a fan, if the exact same stories, creators, editors, and universe comes out under the DC imprint versus Wildstorm, you're not going to be confused one iota.  New (crossover fans from say Marvel) readers who wouldn't read something from Yakko Comics (which is just about as much as what "Wildstorm" means to them as a brand) but will check out something with cool art or a reputable DC writer under the DC brand will pick up the title.  And Wildstorm properties may even see more investment in terms of marketing or development when folded into DC rather than seen as a separate money pit entity.  When they allocate advertising it be for DC books (which will include Wildstorm properties) as opposed to DC... plus this thing that keeps losing us money.  Finally, reasonable minds can differ, but some of the character concepts if folded into the fiction of the DCU proper may gain popularity and legitimacy that they haven't seen in ages (Majestic, for example, saw a huge boost when he crossed over with Superman... playing off each other helped develop both characters and made fans check into his back catalog of works).  Concisely, rebranding is not a big deal and at least a rational decision if not a certainly good one. "
The thing is that the WildStorm Universe should stay just that, it's own Universe. One of two things that I can see is going to happen: 

1. They're going to take the WildStorm Universe and completely fold it into the prominent DC Universe with your mainstream Batmen and Supermen much like they did with the Milestone imprint [though, that imprint was dead for a while before they assimilated it into the DCU]. This isn't appealing to me personally because WildStorm's Universe was pretty well off on its own and you have this messy integration, characters will inevitably lose importance on multiple levels and then there's the BS explanation you have to come up with for the integration as a whole and the possible and oh so painful retcon that comes with it. 

2. WildStorm will continue under DC as a separate continuity and while this is the most appealing, it'll be downright confusing to new readers or readers of Wild Storm who aren't sure what's going on. It would be the equivalent of Marvel folding the Ultimate/Ultimate Comics line under the Marvel banner. I don't want to pick up a comic with "MARVEL" and "SPIDER-MAN" on the front then open it and find out that the story I just read don't take place in the same continuity as another Spider-Man book I bought. People, if this happens, are going to pick up an Authority book with the DC logo thinking it's something that's happening in this greater scheme when it isn't, either thinking this is a new title for DC and it's a jumping on point when it very well wouldn't be [especially with the history behind the Authority]. 

The inevitable is going to be that some of these things and concepts are going to be shelved. Some of these things are going to be take the back burner. Even if we're talking about a full relaunch of WildStorm properties under DC's banner, how long is DC going to do that for? Keep those titles going? 

Best case scenario is that while under the DC banner there's some indication that these titles or, God forbid, title, doesn't take place in DCU continuity, and even then, that leaves the question of whether or not DC is going keep the titles going and not nix them for suffering for numerous reasons.
#72 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:

" @FadeToBlackBolt said:

" @aztek the lost said:

Vertigo is fine, they sell a hell of a lot more than what WS does.   Also, have you read anything Marvel? Aside from their Cosmic Universe and ASM, the whole company is putting out stuff that seems like it was written by a mentally challenged infant.  This is very disappointing though. "
hahaha, I agree entirely with the Marvel thing but my disparaging comments about the publisher rub a lot of people the wrong way considering this site is mostly Marvel  but seriously though, DC has cancelled four Vertigo titles this fall including one that was selling great that they just wanted to absorb into the DCU...I suspect Vertigo will remain but they now emphasize the creator-owned aspect and there are still two of my favorite titles at Vertigo owned by DC (Hellblazer and House of Mystery) and if they get cancelled because of this... *expletives deleted* "
Haha, sorry, I'm a DC/WS/Vertigo fanboy (not by choice, I try to stop but I really can't help it)  despite liking other stuff (Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, IDW, etc..). 

I can't imagine them ever cancelling Hellblazer though. It's an institution, Empire gave Constantine the #3 spot for greatest comic book character ever, and whilst I may not necessarily agree with that, it does show Hellblazer's impact on the industry. 

Which were the 4 Vertigo titles that were cancelled if I may ask? I'm a trade guy, and usually wind up getting series after they're cancelled lol.
#73 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @aztek the lost said:

" @FadeToBlackBolt said:

" @aztek the lost said:

hahaha, I agree entirely with the Marvel thing but my disparaging comments about the publisher rub a lot of people the wrong way considering this site is mostly Marvel  but seriously though, DC has cancelled four Vertigo titles this fall including one that was selling great that they just wanted to absorb into the DCU...I suspect Vertigo will remain but they now emphasize the creator-owned aspect and there are still two of my favorite titles at Vertigo owned by DC (Hellblazer and House of Mystery) and if they get cancelled because of this... *expletives deleted* "
Haha, sorry, I'm a DC/WS/Vertigo fanboy (not by choice, I try to stop but I really can't help it)  despite liking other stuff (Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, IDW, etc..).   I can't imagine them ever cancelling Hellblazer though. It's an institution, Empire gave Constantine the #3 spot for greatest comic book character ever, and whilst I may not necessarily agree with that, it does show Hellblazer's impact on the industry.   Which were the 4 Vertigo titles that were cancelled if I may ask? I'm a trade guy, and usually wind up getting series after they're cancelled lol. "
I'm mostly a Vertigo fanboy myself but I like something from pretty much everyone, just not liking the current Marvel at all and feel DC's going down the same sewerline...as it happened I was reading WS' DV8: Gods and Monsters and Brian Wood was saying by the end he was going to reincorporate DV8 into the WSU...now what? I mean wtf! 

Hellblazer almost got cancelled once, after Ellis left the book but I really hope they don't...I've read all 271 issues to date and the stuff right now is some of the best 

as for the four titles, it was Greek Street (#16), Air (#24), Unknown Soldier (#25), and Madame Xanadu (#29)...MX had good sales, DC just wanted her in their universe...Unknown Soldier is one of the best comics out there...Air was just too unique for most readers I think and Greek Street wasn't even given time to grow
#74 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
" @Mainline said:
" @iLLituracy said:

The thing is that the WildStorm Universe should stay just that, it's own Universe. One of two things that I can see is going to happen:  1. They're going to take the WildStorm Universe and completely fold it into the prominent DC Universe with your mainstream Batmen and Supermen much like they did with the Milestone imprint [though, that imprint was dead for a while before they assimilated it into the DCU]. This isn't appealing to me personally because WildStorm's Universe was pretty well off on its own and you have this messy integration, characters will inevitably lose importance on multiple levels and then there's the BS explanation you have to come up with for the integration as a whole and the possible and oh so painful retcon that comes with it.  2. WildStorm will continue under DC as a separate continuity and while this is the most appealing, it'll be downright confusing to new readers or readers of Wild Storm who aren't sure what's going on. It would be the equivalent of Marvel folding the Ultimate/Ultimate Comics line under the Marvel banner. I don't want to pick up a comic with "MARVEL" and "SPIDER-MAN" on the front then open it and find out that the story I just read don't take place in the same continuity as another Spider-Man book I bought. People, if this happens, are going to pick up an Authority book with the DC logo thinking it's something that's happening in this greater scheme when it isn't, either thinking this is a new title for DC and it's a jumping on point when it very well wouldn't be [especially with the history behind the Authority].  The inevitable is going to be that some of these things and concepts are going to be shelved. Some of these things are going to be take the back burner. Even if we're talking about a full relaunch of WildStorm properties under DC's banner, how long is DC going to do that for? Keep those titles going?  Best case scenario is that while under the DC banner there's some indication that these titles or, God forbid, title, doesn't take place in DCU continuity, and even then, that leaves the question of whether or not DC is going keep the titles going and not nix them for suffering for numerous reasons. "
I don't think you're giving DC, fans, writers, or new readers enough credit. 

On DC's behalf what they were doing wasn't working, something needed to change, even if it's just a pure marketing strategy of relaunching under a new imprint.  The whole "New Coke" type strategy sometimes works.  That said, nothing written in stone yet and there no reason it has to be all or nothing... the only truth is that they acquired the IP to use it so extinction, if any, can only be blamed on readers who don't buy. 

On behalf of confusion, I'm skeptical because, as Fade suggested, it'll be much like Marvel Cosmic for folded titles and for separate titles their interaction with the rest of the world is up to the writer.  I generally do not pick up Batman titles wondering where Flash is every page and nor will new readers be looking for Superman or Green Lantern if they're reading a DC imprinted Wet Works or GEN13 title.  Readers, in general, are able to separate different titles, worlds, continuities, etc.  Barring really dense viewers, I don't think anyone thinks Batman Begins is a prequel to Tim Burton's Batman, for example.  If this level of confusion was really a concern the popular characters could never release simultaneous titles with different plot lines (and often conflicting time lines).  And even if there is a glitch or a moment of confusion, is it really a big deal?  So what if Wolverine's appearance in eight different storylines simultaneously can't be explained? 

At the end of the day, it's just two square inches of the front cover that's changing, most people can cope.  As for the shelved titles, that happens irrespective of imprint.  If anything, DC's tried hard.  Marvel just accepts a fruitfly like lifespan for all of its titles and saturates the market with the flavor of the year (You want ten Avengers titles?  You've got it!  Just don't expect any of them to ever hit issue # 50!)... audience turn-over is break neck right now and DC's just adjusting accordingly... it doesn't necessarily mean less stories than you'd normally get (because normally you'd just get flat out cancellation and never hear or see the character again) but more short and limited runs released in seasons like Manhunter... "Like it?  Buy it!  Keep it going."  If the market isn't sustaining a title then a break is reasonable. [Note that my view on traditional/old properties is distinguishable, I think those need to be shown more patience for IP reasons....] 

Given that we don't know exactly what they're going to do or how consumers will react, it's too early to predict doom and gloom when it can just as easily be a success.  For all we know, Jim Lee's going to spend the next two years drawing a magnum opus to reintroduce the Wild C.A.T.s that will be a stunning commercial success (however you feel about Lee's art personally, he's still an incredible commercial draw... his art = sales) for an epic 20th Anniversary and DC reintroduction.  The point is that they're still planning and they don't want to take a loss on their IP acquisition so whatever they do it'll be things that will done to make you want to buy their comics. 
#75 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @aztek the lost said:

" @FadeToBlackBolt said:

" @aztek the lost said:

Haha, sorry, I'm a DC/WS/Vertigo fanboy (not by choice, I try to stop but I really can't help it)  despite liking other stuff (Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, IDW, etc..).   I can't imagine them ever cancelling Hellblazer though. It's an institution, Empire gave Constantine the #3 spot for greatest comic book character ever, and whilst I may not necessarily agree with that, it does show Hellblazer's impact on the industry.   Which were the 4 Vertigo titles that were cancelled if I may ask? I'm a trade guy, and usually wind up getting series after they're cancelled lol. "
I'm mostly a Vertigo fanboy myself but I like something from pretty much everyone, just not liking the current Marvel at all and feel DC's going down the same sewerline...as it happened I was reading WS' DV8: Gods and Monsters and Brian Wood was saying by the end he was going to reincorporate DV8 into the WSU...now what? I mean wtf!  Hellblazer almost got cancelled once, after Ellis left the book but I really hope they don't...I've read all 271 issues to date and the stuff right now is some of the best  as for the four titles, it was Greek Street (#16), Air (#24), Unknown Soldier (#25), and Madame Xanadu (#29)...MX had good sales, DC just wanted her in their universe...Unknown Soldier is one of the best comics out there...Air was just too unique for most readers I think and Greek Street wasn't even given time to grow "
Great, thank you for the info :)

DC is on a bit of a slippery slope, whilst I'm enjoying Green Lantern and loving Batman (BRUCE IS COMING BACK!!!!!!!!), the rest of their stuff (Superman, Wonder Woman, JLA, Flash) is a little less than stellar. Though I adore JSA All-Stars.
#76 Posted by DEGRAAF (7866 posts) - - Show Bio
@grifter78: 
Thank you very much, this solves my problems 

@Fortanono:
thanks. Yea i was talking about the big green guy in the back mainly bc he looked cool (Maul) but im not sure if i like him or not now that ive read about him, he has an interesting power set but it seems to ave some real draw backs, he looks really cool tho in the picture posted.
#77 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P.  wildstorm

bring them back to image......

#78 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts said:

Why did Jim Lee give up on his baby... he is a bad father.

I find this line amusing
#79 Posted by Mediant (329 posts) - - Show Bio

An interesting analysis of the situation from BleedingCool.com: [link]

#80 Edited by The Velvet Rabbit (262 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cezar_TheScribe said:
"

Wildstorm should have never left Image comics.  Wildstorm belongs at Image.  Nuff said... 

Zuda's closing shows that people want comics they can collect and hold in their hands.

"
this.   very much this.   however, I still love my Wildstorm, and it kinda makes me sad to hear this.

@Silkcuts said:

" @aztek the lost said:

" seriously though, why were these guys put in charge of DC exactly? "
They are the new faces of DC. Much like how Stan Lee was the face of Marvel. I don't hate Stan Lee, but I think he is overrated on his contributions to comics.  He bankrupted marvel how many times?  Guys like Stan Lee and Dan Didiot are the equivalent to comics what Favor Flav is to rap music.  They are hype men who thing they know what they are doing and it will hurt the product.  I am scared for Vertigo too my friend.  "

ditto on the Stan Lee, DiDio thing - Stan did make great strides for comic books, but I tend to think of him as more of a creator of classic characters than an innovator of new ideas - he's created lots of great characters, but most of their best parts were better fleshed out by other writers.

but please don't say that about Vertigo - I'm scared enough as it is :(

of course, I'm also in the school of thought that most of the properties will carry over, a la Cosmic U
#81 Posted by slacker the hacker (7810 posts) - - Show Bio

Majestic  
Grifter 
Midnighter etc 
(
#82 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Annoyed. Don't know how this changes things yet so I can't really say more than that. I would hope the WSU characters aren't mindlessly folded into the DCU like Milestone was though. I'd like to see their stories continued without the intereference of the DCU because otherwise I don't see it working. The scale is too different, the overall attitude of the characters is too different, where they're willing to go and what they're willing to try is too different, the main problems that are dealt with (government, society, humanity, "heroes") are too different, hell the ability to change things is too diffferent. Saying that though, the WSU couldn't function the same way in the DCU. Granted, if the WSU isn't doing its job then maybe the way it needs to function should change (though I think that just leads to making everything the same because "that's what works" which just breeds staleness and unoriginality), but the characters are tied to what their universe is about and if you change the universe then the characters have to change so much that they're not the same anymore and you might as well scrap them entirely.

#83 Posted by ombla2 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

me sad very sad

#84 Posted by FinalStar86 (8681 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they are going to continue Earth 50  I could  care less if it's under the DC banner....

#85 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP wildstorm, i will miss you...

#86 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8722 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOO! No more issues of Ex-Machina.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.