Follow

WildStorm Productions

Publisher »

WildStorm Productions was a founding studio at Image Comics before becoming an imprint of DC Comics in 1999. It started in 1992 by a team of comic creators - Jim Lee chiefly among them. It closed in 2010.

Wildstorm Convoluted Universe?

pelletboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pelletboy

Hi I have some questions about the multiverse of WIldstorm. In the Wildcats series, are all volumes set in the same universe. UNderstand that Wildcats series ran from when it crossed over with Image universe characters in the first volumes up to when it was part of the DC 52 multiverse. Are they set in the same universe? If so, those Image chracters that crossed over in the early part of the series are also part of the DC multiverse? Also, how does Warren Ellis' Planetary's theory of 190,000 plus realities fit with the Wildstorm/DC multiverse?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @pelletboy: I'm pretty sure when they moved over to DC there was a universe-wide reboot, before Worldstorm there was a  reboot I believe that only lasted a couple of issues by Jim Lee and a few others and then when Worldstorm came almost everything changed but some stuff stayed the same.. 

And I doubt there are any similarities anymore between the 190,000 universes and DC's 52 universes, the whole integration of the Bleed kind of messed that up. You should check out Planetary/Batman and Planetary/JLA, there might be some better explanations there.
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By labarith

Long story short:  Yes and No. 

DC cannot say Yes, but intends it.  However, much like this latest reboot, when the shit hits the fan, the answer is "some of it"... and it's all bunk.

pelletboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pelletboy
    @pikahyper said:
    @pelletboy: I'm pretty sure when they moved over to DC there was a universe-wide reboot, before Worldstorm there was a  reboot I believe that only lasted a couple of issues by Jim Lee and a few others and then when Worldstorm came almost everything changed but some stuff stayed the same.. 

And I doubt there are any similarities anymore between the 190,000 universes and DC's 52 universes, the whole integration of the Bleed kind of messed that up. You should check out Planetary/Batman and Planetary/JLA, there might be some better explanations there.
    Are you saying WOrldstorm retconned some stories and crossovers?  What was the premise of WOrldstorm again? So Planetary is not part of DC and WIldstorm?
    @labarith said:
    Long story short:  Yes and No.  DC cannot say Yes, but intends it.  However, much like this latest reboot, when the shit hits the fan, the answer is "some of it"... and it's all bunk.

What do you mean DC "cannot say yes, but it intends?"  Is it an implicit affirmation that all image and DC characters are in one universe?  If so, what's preventing them from saying "yes?"
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @pelletboy: It might not have been intentional but Worldstorm (and the year or so before it) did change a lot of things, nothing to my knowledge was officially retconned it was more like everybody just stopped caring about pre-2008 and pre-DC Wildstorm continuity so all the evolution and crossovers and all that pretty much disappeared and a lot of concepts changed due to moving over to DC so a lot of old Image crossover continuity just kind of fell behind a desk and was forgotten, some of the big stand outs for me were the major changes to Gen 13, Wetworks and Deathblow, WildCats seemed to breeze through with the least amount of changes. I think a lot of it started going downhill went they started crossing over the universes and having mainstream DC heroes in Wildstorm, the whole Captain Atom: Armageddon arc ruined Captain Atom and the crossover for Superman/Majestic was just odd and the whole DC/Wildstorm: Dreamwave story was nauseating.

Worldstorm basically was trying to repair all the years of damage done at DC by taking the One Year Later DC concept and multiplying it and fast forwarding a number of years into the post-apocalyptic future were all Wildstorm books stayed once Worldstorm began, this of course excludes all the off-shoot franchises that Wildstorm produced like the video game properties which were stand alone. Some good stories came out of Worldstorm but the majority of it was god awful and the explanation of what caused Worldstorm to happen was pretty bad (Number of the Beast) .  

I think Planetary was originally part of regular Wildstorm but because of how massively late it was it removed itself from regular continuity since events at Wildstorm continued on without it. When they announced Wildstorm closing though info was released saying that Wildstorm characters would be merged into regular DCU and eventually some could be used just like they did with Static from Milestone and now with the new DC revamp Wildstorm characters are part of the DCU but there hasn't to my knowledge been any news of their past continuity being worked in or if the characters are starting fresh, I'm guessing they will start out fresh though so they don't have to worry about researching continuity from a dissolved wing of the company.
    pelletboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pelletboy

Can they just ignore pre-DC continiuity and disregard crossovers with the Image characters and the Planetary issue without explanation?  Maybe someone missed  a story development... 

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @pelletboy: they can do anything they want lol, I'm sure there was a lot of legal reasons to forget the pre-DC stuff.
    pelletboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pelletboy
    @pikahyper said:

Can you remember what these 2 issues were?  And did they address the ignored Image crossovers problem?
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @pelletboy: Well in Captain Atom: Armageddon the new Void reshapes the Wildstorm universe and then all the Wildstorm books got revamped, there was only a single issue of Wildcats (can't remember which but I think there was another one that restarted and didn't last) and there was supposed to be other stuff but then there were delays and then they started Worldstorm. Captain Atom: Armageddon might explain things to you better and give the Wildstorm wikipedia entry a read.
    pelletboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pelletboy
    @pelletboy said:
    @pikahyper said:

Can you remember what these 2 issues were?  And did they address the ignored Image crossovers problem?
    Its in Shattered Image, I read in the Wildstorm wiki.  Sadly, there isn't any entry for the event.  Can anyone provide a summary of what happened?
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @pelletboy: Did you read the info on the Wildstorm Universe wiki as well as the regular Wildstorm wiki? the sections on Captain Atom, Worldstorm and World's End explained the later things pretty well. 

As for Shattered Image I didn't find any summaries but give this thread a read, lot of good info especially post #13.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.