As the Rise of the Third Army continues to spread throughout and following the misconception of Simon Baz being accused of a terrorist attack of an unoccupied factory after 9-11, Baz asks his sister, Sira to find out who the owner of the vehicle was he hi-jacked to seek out some information of why the car was under a railroad bridge at the time and how'd a bomb end up in the van, in the first place. Trying to clear his name, he does what any innocent man would do in his situation and goes to the home of the owner of the vehicle. Knowing that Simon Baz is the wanted criminal that took his car, Mr. Wale welcomes him into his house. As Baz was getting to his point of being innocent, Mr. Wale pulls out a gun and confesses the truth of the car bombing; telling Baz it was he that placed the bomb in the van and parked it under the bridge for the bomb to explode just in time when the midnight train passes by. Mr. Wale shoots once, but Simon deflected it with the last defensive energy level his new ring had left. As he starts to open fire, Agent Fed, knowing where Simon Baz would end up if he was innocent, himself heard the gun shots from outside the house. He proceeds by entering the house only to witness Mr. Wale shooting at Baz and comes to stop the cat-and-mouse chase. While confronting to two, the Third Army comes knocking through the walls and makes Mr. Wale as their own flesh. As Baz and Agent Fed run away from becoming a flesh-living cancer, they find their way to the basement and discover it's where Mr. Wale held all his explosive devices. Agent Fed advises Simon to help him make explosives in order to slow down the pace of The Third Army, but he truthfully tells Fed that he does not know how to; making Baz completely innocent, in Agent Fed's eyes. As The Third Army makes their way down to the basement, they find an escape out just before the explosion sets off, having The Third Army being trapped within. While still in disorientation of what had happened, B'dg confronts Simon Baz of what is at stake, bringing about more confusion to both, Baz and Agent Fed.
OriginChosen by the ring
Simon Baz was a Lebanese-American child living in Dearborn, Michigan during the events of September 11th, 2001. Growing up, Simon and his sister Sara were both bullied and persecuted due to their ethnicity. As a young adult, Simon began to get involved with street racing, and eventually car theft. One night, while trying to evade the police in a stolen van, Simon finds out that there is a bomb in the stolen vehicle. Not knowing anything about it, or how big it is, Simon drives the van into an abandoned car factory he was laid off from, knowing that no one would be hurt in the explosion. The resulting explosion is seen as an act of terrorism by the authorities, as they bring Simon in for questioning. As Simon is being interrogated, Hal Jordan and Sinestro's fused together, and malfunctioning, Green Power Ring finds Simon, and selects him as the new wielder, flying him away from captivity. With their suspect gone, the federal agents interrogating Simon contact Amanda Waller about the situation, a transmission Cyborg of the Justice League picks up. Cyborg brings the transmission up to Batman and asks if anyone has spoken to Hal Jordan since he quit the league. Meanwhile, Simon lays on the ground, knocked out, while elsewhere, The Third Army begins to spread.
The Justice League eventually tracks down Simon, but he isn't willing to fight them until Batman tries to remove Sinestro's ring from Simon's finger. In doing so, the ring goes into defense mode and attacks the League. In a panic, Baz retreated using his ring and eventually met back up with his sister. Sara was able to track down the original owner of the van leaving Simon to track down the lead and try and clear his name. After finding who was involved of the bomb plot a ary of zombie Lantern attacked the house and killed the terrorist and the FBI and Simon Baz went down in the basement and saw all the guns and bombs the terrorist had and the FBI blew the house with a bomb by B'dg the Green Lantern Squirrel came looking for Hal Jordan the missing Green Lantern. B'dg eventually takes Simon to a remote location where Simon is able to finally unwind the duel message left by both Jordan and Sinestro in his ring. Jordan reveals that the Guardians have gone insane and are now replacing the Corps with their Third Army that will eventually over take the Universe and that if he is truly gone to tell Carol Ferris that he loves her. It is soon revealed that Sinestro is truly responsible for Simon's selection as a Green Lantern as he chose someone who was very much like himself, who would do anything to accomplish his goals and be able to over come fear in any form. He also wanted his recruit to be the one to finally destroy the Guardians of the Universe. Surprised by his picking, Simon learns how to recharge his ring by retrieving his Lantern and the Book of Black in the Coast City grave yard and then learning from B'dg that his ring might be able to wake his brother-in-law from his coma despite B'dg's disagreements. They head to the hospital where Simon's sister meets them and after forcing his will into his ring, Simon is able to heal the damage to his brother-in-law's brain and Nizar awakens not realizing what has happened. Simon then takes off with B'dg to rescue Guy Gardner from the Third Army. After defeating the Third Army that was after Guy and saving Guy's brother and sister, they all meet on the moon where Guy is sent to Oa to stop the Guardians and Simon and B'dg enter the Book of Black and come face to face with Black Hand.
In 2013 a new series called Justice League of America will have a Green Lantern it is Simon Baz with Green Arrow, Hawkman, Vibe, Steve Trevor, Martian Manhunter, Katana, Catwoman, Green Lantern,
Baz was created by Green Lantern writer Geoff Johns and artist Doug Mahnke . He is the first Arab American member of the Green Lantern Corps. Simon's heritage and home town are both influenced by Geoff Johns', who is half Lebanese, and a native of Detroit, Michigan.
Major Story Arcs
WRATH OF THE FIRST LANTERN
At the end of rise of the third army the first lantern escapes with intent on changing reality to his will.
Simon whilst fighting the third army is transported via the book of black to the guardians prison where black hand and the renegade guardians are being held. A battle ensures between Baz and black hand and whilst Simon is distracted, freeing the guardians, black hand sucks him into his ring.
Simon is transported into the dead zone where Sinestro and Hal are trapped. Sinestro tells Simon that he was killed by black hand, in reply Hal says he cant be dead because he still has the ring on.
Sinestro then attacks Simon trying to get the ring, because the ring is useless against Sinestro, Simon takes out his gun and shoots him. But, because they are in the dead zone, Sinestro come back to life.
Baz is first seen in a peak into the future during the Trinity War, angrily chasing Batman who is in possession of Pandora's Box, until Superman attacks him, while other heroes fight amongst themselves.
Prior to the Trinity War, Baz was seen by Sinestro and Hal Jordan thanks to visions given to them by the The Book of the Black while trying to find out how the Guardians of the Universe planned to replace the Green Lantern Corps.
Powers And Abilities
Simon Baz is a bearer of the Green Lantern Ring and though he was never trained in its use he was able to give the Justice League a run for their money and used the ring to wake his brother in law out of a coma, which is something that no one has been able to do with a GL Ring. Simon Baz may show great potential as a Green Lantern. Besides his ring Simon is an avid car racer who grew up street racing and car stealing in Michigan.
- Animating: A Green Lantern can will things to move how he wants.
- Artificial Intelligence: Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Oa, which taps into an artificial intelligence. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a Lantern's success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer (though they have difficulty translating profanity), which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Green Lantern ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector. The AI can be used to play a holographic playback sequence complete with colors across the spectrum based on information in memory banks. The ring can dictate when to pause or stop the playback should an interruption arise where the Lanterns undivided attention is needed. The AI can also alert the wielder of incoming threats or of attempts to manipulate the wielders construct by an outside party.
- Burglar Alarm: A Green Lantern can coat anything with the ring's beam and thus, if anyone other than himself touches it, his ring will glow, alerting him to the possible theft.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Green Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time. The only rules that the Guardians of the Universe implement on the creation of a individual costumed is that the ring bearer display the insignia of the Green Lantern Corps.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds. Kilowog's ring is one such example of blasts making sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people. However, Hal is known for his relatively simple, straightforward constructs like his ever faithful boxing glove.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Healing: Baz has used the Green Lantern Ring to wake his brother-in-law out of his coma with the rings power. Something B'dg said was impossible.
- Invisibility: The ring can make the wearer or anything else invisible.
- Matter Manipulation: A Green Lantern can use their ring to manipulate nearby matter, such as water, for various purposes such as a construct that acts like an energy construct but can block something yellow and may serve a purpose that an energy construct couldn't perform.
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls. This ability however required great concentration on the bearer of the ring
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/ Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts. (An ability which has not been seen for some time)
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cubewas used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero. This could be seen in the recent Sinestro Corps War when Sallak used his ring to incase an enemy in a force bubble an incinerate him.
- Transforming (former): The ring can transform anyone or anything, be it into an animal, altering their state of appearance, or their size. Once Hal and Alan turned the two Flashes ( Barryand Jay) to light protons in order to free them from prisons.
- Electro-magnetic scanning: The ring can allow(through the use of x rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Wormhole/Warps: The ring can open wormholes to cut down on distance.
- Healing: A wielder can command a ring to heal him/her/itself of any injures incurred. It can also heal others. This ability however cannot regenerate lost limbs.
- Energy twin: The ring can create an energy copy of the wielder which is connected to the ring wielder, any information the twin gathers is transferred to the wielder upon touch while others cannot see this twin apart from fellow Green Lanterns. (An ability which has not been seen for some time)
- Pocket dimension: Within the ring is a pocket dimension which can altered to the wielders specification. It can be used to contain opponents.
- Sub-routines: The power rings have inner programmings or mechanisms which can executed without the users permission. One such sub-routine is the autoshield. This shield automatically protects a wielder from external harm and has been proven to be capable of protecting the wielder from planetary level attacks.