Follow

"Widowmaker" Widowmaker

Story arc »

A cross-over between the Hawkeye and Mockingbird title and the Black Widow title by Jim McCann and Duane Swierczynski

Black Widow & Hawkeye & Mockingbird get a crossover: Widow Maker

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

No Caption Provided

Winter won't be a very good time to be a spy in the Marvel Universe thanks to writers Jim McCann and Duane Swierczynski. The pair will be collaborating on Widow Maker, a four-part crossover that will take place in HAWKEYE & MOCKINGBIRD #7-8 and BLACK WIDOW #9-10 starting in December and running through January.

This is what Marvel.com has to say about this crossover between these "spy titles".

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

These two titles launched not too long ago and about the same time, so to me it makes sense to have Black Widow in the Hawkeye & Mockingbird title since Clint and Natasha have some history together.

Personally I haven't been reading the Black Widow title but I have heard it's a good series so far, and as for how McCann's Hawkeye and Mockingbird stories have been, all I can say is that this title has become a favorite of mine just two issues in.

So what would make these three spy-like characters cross paths?

A very familiar face-or rather mask-has been killing spies from different agencies and has their sights set on Black Widow and Mockingbird
    "[The killer is] wearing a very familiar costume: the Roninsuit," McCann reveals. "As for who is inside of it taking out spies and heroes all over the world, the motives for that, and the person pulling the strings, you'll have to read it to find out!"

So far I have loved all the characters behind the Ronin mask and seeing the outcome of this story, but why?

"I will give you one hint: If someone's taking out/neutralizing spies all over the place, it would stand to reason that someone, somewhere, wants the world temporarily blind and deaf," the writer teases. "But for what?"

I like when two books crossover, one because it creates for an interesting story, and two because it's pretty self contain without the need of huge events...
    This team up between these amazing writers (McCann and Swierczynski) is almost too perfect:

"Seriously-McCann is a madman," Swierczynski says. "His ideas and the crazy stuff he dug up from true-life espionage cases are going to make this crossover one to remember. I'm already hoping for a sequel: Widow Maker 2: Widow Harder."

LOL! 
    Personally I can't wait to read this... are any of you excited for this?

Cover for H&M #7 and BW #9
    Cover for H&M #7 and BW #9
    Widow Maker will take place in HAWKEYE & MOCKINGBIRD #7-8 and BLACK WIDOW #9-10 starting in December and running through January.

Written by Jim McCann and Duane Swierczynski 
    Covers by Paul Renaud
    moxie-lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By moxie-lane

I'm excited about it. I love the Hawkeye and Mockingbird series out. Its been good to me so far and I hope the stories  keep going. I want to see this series continue to run far with things. Having someone looking to killing spies would be great and to see if Dominic Fortune (if Clint lets him live long enough) tries to play it up that it's Clint trying to kill bobbi back in his Ronin mask. I haven't read the new BLack Widow comic either but if i might go pick one up to see how things are before the crossover.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sora_thekey
    @moxie-lane said:
    " would be great and to see if Dominic Fortune (if Clint lets him live long enough) tries to play it up that it's Clint trying to kill bobbi back in his Ronin mask."
    Hmmm that's an interesting hypothesis... Dominic Fortune has been playing an important part in the H&M book... He could be taking up the Ronin mask to spook these people... but I don't know how it would tie to Black Widow...
    Now you got me thinking...
    mightiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By mightiness

I absolutely love the new Hawkeye and Mockingbird series. McCann has such a great respect for both of these characters. He pays a attention to their past continuity and tries to weave it seamlessly into there present. He really writes the characters how the should be written he adjusts his writing to the characters not the other way around. So very often recently we see characters written out of character to suit the creators needs, but this isn't certainly not the case with McCann. The art has been great as well. I haven't been buying the new Black Widow series because I am not a fan of Acuna's  art but when the new creative team take over I will be picking it up. I kinda needed a break on Black Widow after that terribly written mini by Paul Cornell.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Well, this certainly looks intresting.  I'm the other  way, been picking up Black Widow and not the birds.  Hawkeye never did anything for me.  I do like these little tween book crossovers tho so you can bet I'll be picking up at least two issues of Hawk and Mock.
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Meteorite

I like crossovers, and this one sounds awesome, but I hate having to pick up extra issues just to get the whole story. In a way, it is a bit of a gimmick to get people to pick up more comics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.